Home General Discussion

Battle of the countries...

1234568»

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    j0z3r:
    Alex, I think the idea was to attempt to get a feel for the signature tastes of the different tobacco producing countries, or at least the key players. Obviously the main flaw, as you'd be quick to point out, is that many countries have different tobacco growing regions that give off their own signature taste, but I think mainly we would be trying to get a feel for what country we are tasting so as to be better informed when we smoke our regular, blended cigars. Call it an experiment in taste identification.
    yes. all this stemming from Maddy and myself discussing how i seem to like Honduran tobacco compared to Nicaraguan. the question being "is there a "Nicaraguan" taste, or a "honduran" taste? "
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I believe the idea is to have a puro from different countires (say Nicaragua, DR, and Honduras) without bands sent out to everyone who is participating. Then upon smoking them, the participants will try to determine the country of origin.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    And the more I think about it alien, the more it makes sense to use a selection of currently available puros. This way we get a properly blended, balanced cigar to base our judgments on. While a custom blended puro from Nicaragua, Honduras and the DR would have enough variety in taste to offer a balanced smoking experience, some other countries without such a wealth of diverse tobacco might fall short of that.

To address what kuzi said, I think there are signature tastes that define Honduran tobacco and Nicaraguan tobacco...I can't say for sure what they are, but 9 timers out of 10 I can tell you the country origin of a cigar I'm smoking, assuming of course that it is a puro...then again, I also have the aid of knowing what cigar I'm smoking. It would be interesting to sample the same cigars sans the band and see if that claim holds water.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    j0z3r:
    And the more I think about it alien, the more it makes sense to use a selection of currently available puros. This way we get a properly blended, balanced cigar to base our judgments on. While a custom blended puro from Nicaragua, Honduras and the DR would have enough variety in taste to offer a balanced smoking experience, some other countries without such a wealth of diverse tobacco might fall short of that.

To address what kuzi said, I think there are signature tastes that define Honduran tobacco and Nicaraguan tobacco...I can't say for sure what they are, but 9 timers out of 10 I can tell you the country origin of a cigar I'm smoking, assuming of course that it is a puro...then again, I also have the aid of knowing what cigar I'm smoking. It would be interesting to sample the same cigars sans the band and see if that claim holds water.
    And you could run that experiment on your own...it'd be interesting to see if your 90 percent success rate holds.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    j0z3r:
    I agree. Maybe two each of the same stick, or maybe two different puros from three different countries.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    I think that we should continue this experiment but with the forum blend going we can just proceed on our own with existing puros. Then if the Alex, Tim and the boys want to help us later, we can just add that to the experiment. I will start doing some research and see what puros I can find.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    j0z3r:
    a good comparison is from the wine world.
    a winery grows a pinot grape in their field. they then mash it up and add sugar and let it all ferment. they filter and what not and bottle it up.
    poof!
    wine.

you take the same grape seed and put it in a different country but have the EXACT same proses, the flavor will be different.

A few wineries have thought about this. they decided that they wanted as pure "pinot" taste as they could get. so they import fresh pinot grapes from all over the world and mix them, mash them, and make wine out of them.

this would yield a wine that is very even i flavor. distinctly pinot.

now think of that in terms of tobacco and country. (because we could talk about the world and corojo if we wanted to) a blender wants a Honduran Puro. so he goes out and gets tobacco from all over Honduras and blends together a cigar. this cigar SHOULD have the distinct Honduran taste, given that all the tobacco is from there.