Home General Discussion

Battle of the countries...

Comments

• brsmith21brsmith21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 207
    PuroFreak:
    Yea, I was thinking about getting in on this after all since my budget isn't as tight as it was, but I was expecting it to be done with Puros that were already being sold as well. I think it would be a better smoke you are getting and would be a lot faster. With the time frame we were all shooting for, ready for smoking by early spring, that would be the way to go about this. With a 90 time frame just for manufacturing them it would be sometime between the hot dog days of summer, or fall before we ever got them to start resting in our humidors.
    While I agree that this was my original impression, I think Alex's idea sounds like even more fun. I wouldn't mind getting a couple of sets - one for the "battle," one to age and see how they do over time. Just my humble opinion.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Terrific idea Alex, this is way more than I thought it would be and it sounds like fun. The big problem I see with using cigars that are currently on the market is that they may not necessarily be foreign to us, like say I've had a Punch Gran Puro, so if we use that as a Honduran puro then I might be able to identify it simply from experience.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    j0z3r:
    I've had a Punch Gran Puro, so if we use that as a Honduran puro then I might be able to identify it simply from experience.
    as would I. but there are other puros out there.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    j0z3r:
    Terrific idea Alex, this is way more than I thought it would be and it sounds like fun. The big problem I see with using cigars that are currently on the market is that they may not necessarily be foreign to us, like say I've had a Punch Gran Puro, so if we use that as a Honduran puro then I might be able to identify it simply from experience.
    I agree...and I dig Alex's idea. Blend em up.
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    I've had a Punch Gran Puro, so if we use that as a Honduran puro then I might be able to identify it simply from experience.
    Ok, say I've had all of them and a perfect memory of what they taste like. I'm not saying that's realistic, but I do see it as a flaw to the plan.
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    Ok, say I've had all of them and a perfect memory of what they taste like. I'm not saying that's realistic, but I do see it as a flaw to the plan.
    its no flaw at all. the original plan was to tell if people of different experience can tell the difference between countries by taste alone.

not to determine what country is the best.

as in, I get a stick from the package sent to me. i smoke it, review it, and make a guess that its from one of the countries that we are getting puros from.

we then compare results. is it possible? if so, what flavors are more likely to be in a cigar with that countries tobacco in it?

unless im way off here... i mean, i did miss a good portion of this thread when i was gone for a bit.
    I didn't mean anything about determining which country is best... I don't think there is an answer to that, as not everyone's tastes are the same..and actually I'm not even sure how you got that from my post. No, what I meant was that if it is possible to have already smoked the cigar, then you are not really guessing the country of origin, you are merely recognizing a cigar you've had before, that is the flaw I see.

So if Alex gets say three cigars blended: Dominican, Honduran and Nicaraguan (to pick the main ones), there will be no way I can smoke the Dominican and say "I've had this cigar before, it's a such and such, and by knowing the cigar I also know it is Dominican". In that example I haven't really tried to pick out what is different between the three countries and what makes this cigar in particular unique and identifies it.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Ultimately it is up to you guys. If you want to go the route of puros in existence, there will be one central problem, the only real puros on the market are from either Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Honduras, or Cuba. There are small factories that make puros from columbia, brazil, peru and panama however, there is a reason I dont carry them. They are not very good. So if you guys want to go with the name brand stuff, i can put something together, but again, you are looking at some Domincan puros, Nicaragaun and Honduran. Ill tell you what, now that I start thingking about it, I have a cool idea I will test out. I am going to start a new thread. Check it out.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Great question. Germany and much of the tobacco grown in Europe is used for cigarettes or machine made cigars. However, there are small pockets of premium tobacco grown in Italy and Germany (others too but these are the most popular). A company called Lancaster Leaf based in Lancaster PA (one of the largest tobacco brokers in the world) purchases almost all of it from brokers and sells it from their facility in the Dominican Republic. They ferment and age the tobacco in the same facility. Most of of the time, tobacco grown in these areas is very exotic, potent and distinct.
    j0z3r:
    I didn't mean anything about determining which country is best... I don't think there is an answer to that, as not everyone's tastes are the same..and actually I'm not even sure how you got that from my post...
    i didnt get it from your post. i was just making sure there was no future confusion from what i was saying or about to say. your post was clear.

mine was clear as mud.
    Alex Svenson:
    Ultimately it is up to you guys. If you want to go the route of puros in existence, there will be one central problem, the only real puros on the market are from either Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Honduras, or Cuba. There are small factories that make puros from columbia, brazil, peru and panama however, there is a reason I dont carry them. They are not very good. So if you guys want to go with the name brand stuff, i can put something together, but again, you are looking at some Domincan puros, Nicaragaun and Honduran. Ill tell you what, now that I start thingking about it, I have a cool idea I will test out. I am going to start a new thread. Check it out.
    im willing to go either rout. i was just under one impression. in the long run im just along for the ride.

and im looking forward to that thread.... i love cool ideas.
    kuzi16:
    i didnt get it from your post. i was just making sure there was no future confusion from what i was saying or about to say. your post was clear.

mine was clear as mud.
    haha, gotcha.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    I'm down with it. One thing I like about it is that with all the cigars being made in the same factory, that takes a variable out of the equation. All the cigars will be made to pretty much the same level of quality. That leaves just the tobaccos.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    urbino:
    I'm down with it. One thing I like about it is that with all the cigars being made in the same factory, that takes a variable out of the equation. All the cigars will be made to pretty much the same level of quality. That leaves just the tobaccos.
    I hadn't thought of that, but it's a good point urbs and would be a good reason for going the way that Alex described.
    I've a keen eye for equations that can be simplified by eliminating variables. My math teachers never really appreciated it as a skill, though.

"Mr. Brown, why is my answer marked wrong?"

"Because this is a test on quadratic equations, and you just lopped one of the variables completely off."

"Yeah, but look how much simpler it is that way."
    the thing is, the factory doesnt decide the flavor... the tobacco/blend does.
    True Kuzi, but what I think that urbs was saying is that by using the same rollers, you may possibly take out the variables of construction/burn issues which ultimately could affect the smoking experience and quite possibly the flavor.
    urbino:
    Bingo.
    again, maybe im assuming too much, but i thought this was about taste alone and nothing else. in that case it wouldnt matter if there were burn issues (to some degree of course)
    So if we have a choice between a cigar that has a taste representative of the tobacco origin and burns well, or that same cigar that doesn't burn well, what choice is there? It seems you're taking a bit of a hardliner view to this. And you said it yourself, the factory doesn't determine the taste, so if one factory makes all the cigars to the same quality level, and if that level of quality just happens to be pretty damn good, then what's wrong with that?
    its all just food for thought. im not trying to push this anywhere... im just along for the ride. I just want people to think of these things.

i see my plan is working.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Actually, the only reason we originally talked about using cigars in existence was because well they were in existence. We didn't have the resources to make our own puros. But Alex does and I personally like the idea. Hmmm. Alex how much do you think it would run to do it both ways? Puros in existence and the Ccom limited run puros? Make another of you special top secret pages with 2 samplers? What are we talking price wise?
    Any updates on the battle of the countries, or did this take a back seat to the forum blend? Just haven't heard anything in about 2 weeks so I was wondering what was going on.
    I think it became the forum blend, Ron.
    that would miss the point of this thread....

wouldnt it?

correct me if i am wrong but i kinda thought that the point of this thread was to determine if we could determine what country cigars are from by taste alone.
    ...all stemming from maddy and myself discussing my preference to Honduran over Nicaraguan tobacco.

...or did I miss the point?
    No I think you have the point exactly right Kuzi. That's why I was checking to see what the status on this was.
    In that case, this one just needs somebody to pick up the ball and run with it, since doody isn't around.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Where is Duty anyway?
    Yes, we can pull this off but it has been backburnered a bit. I am still a little confused on what you guys are trying to accomplish. Perhaps you guys can tell me what you are trying to learn and I can plan something around that.
    Alex, I think the idea was to attempt to get a feel for the signature tastes of the different tobacco producing countries, or at least the key players. Obviously the main flaw, as you'd be quick to point out, is that many countries have different tobacco growing regions that give off their own signature taste, but I think mainly we would be trying to get a feel for what country we are tasting so as to be better informed when we smoke our regular, blended cigars. Call it an experiment in taste identification.