Home General Discussion

Battle of the countries...

Comments

• dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    I've already got some pics of WP on the beach in the DR. My grandfather was a good man. In reading his obit, I was reminded that he had earned two Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart in WWII.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    dutyje:
    I've already got some pics of WP on the beach in the DR. My grandfather was a good man. In reading his obit, I was reminded that he had earned two Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart in WWII.
    the impt part isn't whether you have the pics, it's whether we've seen the pics. Please post. Hats off to a veteran...that's the *** there that makes you appreciate what we have to enjoy now.
  • smbrinksmbrink Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    So it was a long, hard fought battle with the wife but I finally got the ok to get in on this. So if its not too late....
    Not too late, brink.. we're still in a holding pattern waiting for the updates from Tim.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    ok ... been gone for a few days.

whats up with this

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Seems like we're waiting on the Ccom boys.
    yep.. still awaiting word from Tim. He had asked about a timeframe in one of our calls, and I had said that we would ideally have the cigars in hand with sufficient time to give them 6 weeks of rest and be able to smoke them when the weather is nice. If I hear nothing by EOW, I'll give him another call.
    EOW .. you're such a banker.
    madurofan:
    Translation: EOW (End of Week) usually means about 12 PM EST Friday

Probably 6 PM EST Friday for you working folk ;)
    dutyje:
    madurofan:

should i be proud or scared that i never blinked on this?
    kuzi16:
    dutyje:
    madurofan:

should i be proud or scared that i never blinked on this?
    Let's try to think of a reason you should be proud........ thinking.........hmmmm....

hmmmmmmmmmm.................

Well, that's not it. Must be the other :D
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    I'm assuming there will still be time to jump in when prices are confirmed .....sounds like a lot of fun...
    gmill880:
    I'm assuming there will still be time to jump in when prices are confirmed .....sounds like a lot of fun...
    indeed... and out :)
    Speaking of which, last I read price was looking to be in the 40ies. Is this still current?
    dutyje:
    yep
    And it still requires absolutely no ability to actually properly identify anything or come close to giving a coherent review, right?
    Luko:
    dutyje:
    yep
    And it still requires absolutely no ability to actually properly identify anything or come close to giving a coherent review, right?
    I let you in, didn't I? ;)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Luko:
    dutyje:
    yep
    Luko.. ( on the second floor ).. It's all about trying new stuff and the enjoyment of fine cigars.. You do not need a resum'e.. I may not be able to tell the wrapper, binder and filler of everything I smoke, but I'm still going to be a part of it. You'll be fine.
    kaspera79:
    Luko:
    dutyje:
    yep
    Luko.. ( on the second floor ).. It's all about trying new stuff and the enjoyment of fine cigars.. You do not need a resum'e.. I may not be able to tell the wrapper, binder and filler of everything I smoke, but I'm still going to be a part of it. You'll be fine.
    Thanks Kas, I'd live upstairs from you anyday.
    Luko:
    dutyje:
    yep
    This will actually help us to identify the different types of tobaccos. That's why were doing this, right?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Luko:
    kaspera79:
    Luko:
    dutyje:
    yep
    Thanks Kas, I'd live upstairs from you anyday.
    You are always welcome. You can help me burn a few cigars.
    smbrink:
    Luko:
    dutyje:
    yep
    This will actually help us to identify the different types of tobaccos. That's why were doing this, right?
    That was Duty and I's idea. To test Kuzi's theory and help all of us build our palate. I can't tell you how stoked I am that Duty and the Ccom boys have done so much with this little idea. I never thought it would end up this cool. Thank Kuzi for planting this in my head and Duty for executing Im far too lazy to have made all this happen :).
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Hey Duty... Am I on the active list for this? I was waiting to hear about prices. If it is going to be in the 40 - 50 $$$ range I'm in!
    laker1963:
    Hey Duty... Am I on the active list for this? I was waiting to hear about prices. If it is going to be in the 40 - 50 $$$ range I'm in!
    If this man isn't on the list get him on there.
    Laker, all I need is your e-mail address. I've got the rest of the info.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Hi guys. I did not want you to think I had forgotten about this. With SCHIP things have been crazy around here but as it dies down I would like to do this for you guys. From my view, I can have a simple sampler pack made up, each a puro from a different county. IE all dominican tobacco, all nicaraguan tobacco, all honduran, all ecuador. However, there are a few catches: 1. I will be making these all at the same factory. Really, where you make a cigar does not matter, it all comes down to here the toabcco comes from. 2. Puros are very difficult to blend, so while you may get an interesting look at the tobaccos, it may not be a very good cigar. This is especially true for contries that dont have a variety of growing regions such as panama and ecuador. (just a disclaimer) 3. Some countries are not good wrapper producers. As such, you may get some very ugly cigars, cigars where the wrapper looks more like a raw or rough binder. 4. With puros coming from countires with a variety of growing regions, it may be difficult to identiify specifiic characteristics. For example, Nicaragua has about 4 major growing regions and 6 more small regions. There are a lot of ways to make a cigar with that much tobacco and each will be very different. So, just because the nicaraguan puro I make tastes one way, that might not be representive of other cigars you smoke with nicaraguan tobaco. For starters, I will try to do the following countries (i may not be able to make all of them. I need to see how much tobacco is available. Id say of the list, I will be able to make half) I will make these up into a sampler that has one or two of each and add them to a specail secret page on the site that you guys will have a link to. It may take time as production for cigars is 90 days: Ecuador Hondruas Nicaragua Dominican Republic Germany Columbia Panama Costa Rica Brazil Mexico Peru United States
    i was under the impression that this would be done with puros that were already in existence and being sold already.

as in:
    Honduran could be a punch gran puro
    nicaraguan could be something from the oliva family
    dominican could be an opusX (just an example i know there are other dominican puros out there that arent as pricey)

those have already been blended, rolled, aged, and are ready to smoke now.

why my concern would be if the puros were made in a rush would be a cigar that is not representative of the country the tobacco is from.

I still feel that there is enough difference in taste from one country to the next that no matter how you blend a puro there will be some elements that will be consistent with other puros from that same country.

i have had nicaraguans that i like, and nicaraguans that i dont like. however, they all seem to say "nicaraguan" to me.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Yea, I was thinking about getting in on this after all since my budget isn't as tight as it was, but I was expecting it to be done with Puros that were already being sold as well. I think it would be a better smoke you are getting and would be a lot faster. With the time frame we were all shooting for, ready for smoking by early spring, that would be the way to go about this. With a 90 time frame just for manufacturing them it would be sometime between the hot dog days of summer, or fall before we ever got them to start resting in our humidors.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    Thanks for the info Alex, but it brought up a question for me.

They grow tobacco in Germany?

Never heard of that, is it any good? One of those things that make you say Hmmm