Home General Discussion

Battle of the countries...

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I may be in for this.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    OK duty and I just talked on the phone for about 2 hours. Our phone conversations apparently derail as quickly as a Ccom forum thread.

Basic jist of it though is that this is on. We need a minimum of about 10 people. It will cost somewhere around $20 - 50 per person but you'll get cigars worth that I believe. We want to do this as soon as possible to allow for ordering and resting times to align with good spring time smoking. Confirm that you are in and can afford this and we'll start compiling a list. Please note that while this is supposed to be fun it is slightly scientific so there will be rules. i.e. try to be as consistent as possible in your smoking of these cigars. Don't smoke one in the morning with your coffee and another at night after eating hot wings and drinking 10 beers. Another is that it will be completely blind tasting and any and all reviews shall be emailed to duty and not discussed until after all reviews are in.

We had the idea of somehow making this a contest. Like building in a little extra money to buy some prize sticks. The winner would be the person who guesses all the cigars countries correctly or if more than one person guesses correctly there'd be a drawing. Somethign like that.

All suggestions are welcomed but duty has final say as he is the coordinator.

So who is for sure willing to get in on this?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Ah dammit, I was going to try and stay away, but the allure is too...alluring. :) Count me in, I'm fairly confident in my taster.

Are we talking like a few cigars per person, or more than that?
    Like at least 6 cigars two of each puro. Possibly more.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Hmm, cool. Can't wait.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    To expand on that a little more, I think it would be a good idea for participants to pinpoint flavors in the cigar... we could use a standardized taste wheel... if there are only three possible countries of origin, then it seems awfully likely that more than one person will get all three correct. Maybe tie-breakers on the order of someone getting the most "accurate" flavor profile for the cigars, as a consensus among the tasters - sorry Maddy, that one just popped into my head after our marathon conversation :)

I'm less "running the show" here than serving as a scribe and data analyst. Y'all can help set up the rules for the game, and toss out the suggestions. It sounds like a real fun twist on a lot of our current games.

I can front the money for the sticks, and will ship them all out pretty quickly after I receive them (need to get some boxes for this, I just realized). Total costs will include the cost of sending everything around, so 6 sticks at a minimum seems reasonable just to make it worthwhile. Thanks for the idea, Maddy!
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    hmmm...after review the ideas and the situation...I think

I
    still
    want
    in
    on
    this!

Sounds like a blast fellas
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Consider me confirmed.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    6 of each country?

damn.

its far too cold to smoke that many in a short amount of time. ill see what i can do.
    no confirmation yet here.

edit: six overall.... better but my schedual sucks. and im poor too.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I'm in if you'll have me, but my taster don't work properly. So I'm like the little league right fielder, the automatic out. Just take my money and laugh when I say I tasted boisenberry or whatever the hell I come up with.
    I think the plan is to buy them now and rest them until the weather is warmer, kuz.

A quick question: aren't Dominican puros rare as hen's teeth? There's the OpusX, and Victor Sinclair makes one, I think. Are there others?
    5 vegas relic, Ramon Allones, Capa Dominicana by Davidoff, La Aurora Cien Años, Matasa 30th Anniversary by Fonseca, FIVE STAR 2000 CIGARS, the CAO vision isnt a puro but has a dominican wrapper.

thats all i know of
    Huh. That's more than I thought. Thanks for the knowledge.
    good luck finding some of those.

and paying for them....
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Lito Gomez makes a Puro that is supposed to be really good and isn't all that expensive. I saw a ton of them last night at the smoke shop here. Also Cohiba makes a DR Puro now... There are getting to be more and more of them out.
  • cheymancheyman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 157
    kuzi16:
    5 vegas relic, Ramon Allones, Capa Dominicana by Davidoff, La Aurora Cien Años, Matasa 30th Anniversary by Fonseca, FIVE STAR 2000 CIGARS, the CAO vision isnt a puro but has a dominican wrapper.

thats all i know of
    I've already done some research. There are more than these, and they won't be hard to come by. Don't do too much research and spoil your fun.
    sorry, those were the ones i knew of of the top of my head. I had to look for the name of the davidoff one but i knew they made one. while looking that name up i found the five star one.
    Kuzi you have to be in on this. Kind of the whole point of this is based on our debates on country vs. brand being the taste difference. We're trying to hurry up and do this only so that guys like you who want to rest a cigar a full 6 weeks will be able to do so in time for the good spring time smoking enviroment. I think we'll probably allow a couple weeks, maybe even months before we close this out. I'm broke too but I feel this is a project worth all of our time.

I really want all the regulars involved in this who cares how distinguished your palate is. I have most of your addresses and know how to look up phone numbers, I'll start calling you guys and talking to you for hours on end if you don't sign up. Ask duty I can talk your ear off about absolutely nothing. Any newcomers are welcome also. The more the merrier.
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

thats all i know of
    I've already done some research. There are more than these, and they won't be hard to come by. Don't do too much research and spoil your fun.
    Yes stop researching, the idea is to NOT know what cigar you are smoking. Let duty research, he's better at it than any of us anyways.
    you guys know im good for it in the long run but this trip to cincy to go hunting with my dad wiped me out. i think i have under $10 of fun money left in my budget.
    kuzi16:
    you guys know im good for it in the long run but this trip to cincy to go hunting with my dad wiped me out. i think i have under $10 of fun money left in my budget.
    I'll spot you.. I know you're good for it.
    kuzi16:
    Duty said something about bartering for mule-lip services or something ... I didn't quite get it but thats an option maybe for those on a budget ...
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Duty said something about bartering for mule-lip services or something ... I didn't quite get it but thats an option maybe for those on a budget ...
    Well hell, if you're up for a little swapping Duty then I could damn sure handle givin ya some lip service! It will just be with Maddy's lips! haha
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Well hell, if you're up for a little swapping Duty then I could damn sure handle givin ya some lip service! It will just be with Maddy's lips! haha
    Hey what I said about those SC Sumatras ... forget it now buddy!
    relax guys...

i get paid in a few days.
    madurofan:
    PuroFreak:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    Hey what I said about those SC Sumatras ... forget it now buddy!
    Haha
    kuzi16:
    relax guys...

i get paid in a few days.
    Too much caffiene today, I'm slowly relaxing.
  • smbrinksmbrink Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Hmmm.. depending on when this will go down Im interested. sounds like a good way to build up my palate.
    It'll go down in the next couple of weeks. You can talk to duty about payment stuff. Smoking will commence about 6 weeks after they are shipped out from duty's house.