Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Tried my first Sherpa this afternoon. All I can say for now is that I'll have to have a couple more to before I decide whether I like it or not. I did note a nice creamy, nuttiness which was pretty consistent throughout, I was met with several burn issues and a bit of acridity at times. They may very well need a bit more rest than the three days I've given them so far.
    I had a Carlos Torano cameroon 1916 corona this morning. First, let me say this is a beautiful cigar with a thck, oily, toothy caramel colored wrapper and it smells wonderful pre-light. It was a pretty nice cigar overall, the draw was pretty good, the burn was ok for the most part and it tasted nice, though I had a hard time pinpointing any specific flavors. Guess, I'll have to get a couple more and try again... oh woe is me. :)

Joe
  • spinnerbaitspinnerbait Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
    tonight i am enjoying an OPUS X. thanks to our gov. stimulus check. money well spent. complex tastes, nutty and spicy. i rather loved it.
    I settled down later this afternoon with a Cuaba Exclusivo. This is a nice looking perfecto about 5 1/2 x 46. It left a lot to be desired, to be blunt. I don't know if perhaps it too damp, but it would not draw well at all and the volume of smoke I got was pretty small. The burn was constantly uneven and the flavor was just not very, well, flavorful. I just hope it was me and not the cigar in this case... guess I'll find out down the road.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406

I started the day with a Cu-Avana while walking the beach. I have grown to like this mild cigar. This afternoon I had a Sancho Panza and tonight I smoked my Gurkha Beast from my welcome package to COTM. This one went on for 2 1/2 hours - quite a cigar!

And to cap the night off, I finally had a Cusano 18 Double Connecticut robusto. Man, what a nice cigar this was. Precision burn, good draw, though a tad on the loose side. I only wish it had been a churchill so that it would have lasted longer. Pretty straight forward, but very nice, had the slightest hint of cedar in the first inch and from there I could only describe it as toasty and creamy. Needless to say, I will definitely keep a handful of these in my humidor from now on.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Sounds like another good day, Joe. I had a Gurkha Centurian; my second. This one was much, much, MUCH better than the first. I begin to understand this cigar's high reputation. It produced great gouts of rich, heavy, chewy smoke that I pushed slowly and with reluctance from my mouth. This was a great cigar. Maybe the best I've had.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    urbino:
    It produced great gouts of rich, heavy, chewy smoke that I pushed slowly and with reluctance from my mouth. This was a great cigar. Maybe the best I've had.
    i have nothing more to add
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Last night I had an ITC 10th toro. Very good cigar peaty and earthy with enough spice to keep me interested. Produced an ungodly amount of smoke, at times I felt like I was holding a road flare there was so much smoke coming off this stick. Yet it burned very cool and even. Good cigar will definetly smoke again.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    urbino:
    Sounds like another good day, Joe. I had a Gurkha Centurian; my second. This one was much, much, MUCH better than the first. I begin to understand this cigar's high reputation. It produced great gouts of rich, heavy, chewy smoke that I pushed slowly and with reluctance from my mouth. This was a great cigar. Maybe the best I've had.
    Hey urby, That is a bold statement !! I have two resting and I do believe that you encouraged me to take one out of it's retirement..
    urbino:
    Well, I've got hope now. It seems they just need some rest and relaxation to give you their all. And yes, it was another good day.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    Alright, it looks like Urbi is on the Gurkha bandwagon with us Kuzi. I only have one Centurian left. I'm saving it for a special occasion.
    rdnstn:
    Alright, it looks like Urbi is on the Gurkha bandwagon with us Kuzi. I only have one Centurian left. I'm saving it for a special occasion.
    I wouldn't say I'm on the bandwagon, but the tune is finally starting to make sense. I've now had 3 terrific Gurkhas, and 3 rather bad ones. That's still a pretty low batting average for cigars in this price range, but we'll see -- maybe it'll continue to improve.

Joe, you may be right. Rest may be the key for the Centurian. It's hard to extrapolate from just 2 data points, though, so, again, we'll see.
    urbino:
    It's hard to extrapolate from just 2 data points, though, so, again, we'll see.
    See now that is where you are wrong my friend. Two points = a straight line, its perfectly clear what the results are! /smartass
    i rest all of my gurkhas exstensivly. most never get lit before 4 months. I have a few centurians that are over a year and a few legends that are 2+ years. I also have one of the first regents that i ever purchased. gurkha is one of the brands that made me want to get a humidor for aging alone... gurkha and OpusX... and El Cobre.
    and camacho.

did I mention CAO?
    And Dutch Masters. The maduros, of course.
    urbino:
    you're fired.
    Oh, noes! Don't fire me! I can't afford to lose the income. (How does urbino generate income by posting on these forums, you ask? The answer is simple: volume.)
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    urbino:
    Oh, noes! Don't fire me! I can't afford to lose the income. (How does urbino generate income by posting on these forums, you ask? The answer is simple: volume.)
    Hey Urbino, speaking of volume, I see you just hit another milestone too. Thanks for all your insight, great reviews, and entertaining dialogue. ( truely)..
  • vankleekkwvankleekkw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 404
    Had a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet tonight while mowing the grass and drinking a beer. I know, I am officially a southerner.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 848
    A DUI when on the riding lawn mower...awesome!
    Just finished up with a Gurkha Shaggy foot toro. This was a nice cigar, its been in my humidor for about 7 months now and it called to me tonight as I was rifling around, looking for something to smoke.
    Thanks, kas. Same to you and so many others around here.

But not everybody. I don't want to name names or nuthin', but you know who you are.
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    Sarted with a Matasa Legend. Puros Maxima Reserve around lunch. Finished with a Fonseca Black Prince - just ok
    I had a Rocky Patel Edge Connecticut. It was good, but didn't strike me as anything terribly special. It burned unevenly, leaving two prominent points with a swoopy curve between them. If I'd encountered any ne'er-do-wells, I could've used it to signal Batman.

Still, it wasn't troublesome. Just not terribly flavorful. I'd give it, oh, an 8.25.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    urbino:
    (How does urbino generate income by posting on these forums, you ask? The answer is simple: volume.)
    LMAO.

Tonight I'm sitting on the pool deck, listening to the Pacific lap at the lava shore while I smoke a fantastic Hemingway Signature.
    kuzi16:
    urbino:
    you're fired.
    LMAO, if kuzi is firing people I'll be the next to go!
    RPs and Duch masters arent the same ball game. Heck, they arent the same sport.
    Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8 Candela. it was a good smoke on this sunny afternoon. i cant and wont complain. review is up in my catalog.
    LOL I've never smoked a Dutch Master. Well not one with tobacco anyways and that woulda been 8 or 9 years ago.