Home General Discussion

CREATING YOUR OWN BRAND

puffmasterpuffmaster Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 252
So I know I have been away for awhile, I have been extremely hard at work creating a few new concepts for the industry. One is a new cigar brand. Hopefully it will be rolling out sometime in April of 2014. This is a very long and extensive project. I figured I would share some updates and hopefully get some feedback. The logo is created, the band is created, I currently own the websites and copyrights to all artwork. I have standing offers from various different manufacturers to blend the cigar. The current front runner is Esteban Carreras, due to price packaging and shipping. My trip is scheduled to be in January to the factory to blend and test the cigars. WOndering if anyone has attempted this process, if so whats your experiance, and also any companys you would recommend for the process other then Esteban? Open to all interpretations Thx

Comments

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    Dude that is freakin awesome! Though I have never remotely stepped close To what you are doing with any of my ideas I just wanna give you über respect for this! Keep the updates coming! Can't wait to see everything come to fruition! :)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    I would discuss with Plasencia. good guy with a great factory.

also check into Eiroa of CLE cigars. he has been known to help new guys in the past.
  • puffmasterpuffmaster Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 252
    I still have not found away to get quotes from Plasencia, I have asked the rep for Cristian and have been told there not doing private blending. It might change but not as of yet.
    lemme see what i can do. i may know someone that knows someone that could at least get you in touch.
    I really appreciate it. I also spoke to Trident and he said you are the tobacco guru lol. You will receive some of the first samples, your honest evaluation will be greatly appreciated
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    I've gotten quotes from Plasencia. I plan on visiting in te coming months, end exploring a few other factories as well. Good luck bro.
    catfishbluezz:
    I've gotten quotes from Plasencia. I plan on visiting in te coming months, end exploring a few other factories as well. Good luck bro.
    Do you mind PM me some details?
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    This is awesome, best of luck!
    danielruas:
    This is awesome, best of luck!
    THANK YOU. Custom Stogie Stands .....
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Good luck Puffy! Sounds like a cool project
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    Ryan, nice to see you back on here! Good luck with getting a blender...sure that you will make it work.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    My friend is in Nicaragua now putting the final touches on his cigar. Cigars are rolled and aging, boxes are done and labels are done. He went to the plascencias.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Willing to beta-test.... :D
    So I have locked in a blender and now have locked in the logo design. I am working on some label designs. Thank you for everyones support and feedback and hope to get some more info out here soon. Samples will defintely be flying upon completion.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 585
    Definatly cool... please keep the updates coming.
  • curtpickcurtpick Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,600
    puffmaster:
    So I have locked in a blender and now have locked in the logo design. I am working on some label designs. Thank you for everyones support and feedback and hope to get some more info out here soon. Samples will defintely be flying upon completion.
    maybe chi town eh ?
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    Talk about something you love doing and doing what you love. I have friends in the industry who have done and are doing what you are going through and while some are readily known a few are those who are gaining ground in the industry for the last few years making "Boutique Cigars" and are very popular. Getting in touch with good Reps. and those with practical experience in this business are as you know...golden. Having a relationship with blenders automatically gives you credibility and with good Reps along side help get you inside the business where others are still knocking on the doors.

I don't usually like to name names as I don't do that sort of thing because it smacks of a little pretentiousness and this is a business that in some ways still start with a handshake. I've been given a lot of cigars over the years just to get my 'take' on them and that is an important part of networking in this business....get it into the hands of those who can spread a wide net around and talk with those who know the right people. Word of mouth is also how fires start in this business....and while there are a ton of respected reviewers it's become sad to say a 'Pay for Play' business at times. Give a reviewer a sample and see what happens and while this seems to be a common way of 'doing business' it ends up devaluing the product you want to get out. There is a right and wrong way to market any product and a lot of it is about risk and reward for those who want to share in the process. Getting your preliminaries taken care of is key...but now you are in the final approach as to how to get it out there under another umbrella which is another deal altogether because they have the resources most don't....that's what you really are dealing with and it's much like having a product good enough to fit into their branding but not better where there is now a competition. Do you have someone who can act as your agent in this regard....good lawyer....business partner...etc.....would love to see what you are working on as well as the product...keep us all posted on your exploits. Good Luck!
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    curtpick:
    puffmaster:
    maybe chi town eh ?
    ////Great idea curt! There will be a lot of surprises in chicago, perhaps this will be one? ;) 10 days til you get to see what you signed up for eh!
    This is awesome bro. I was just looking at plane tickets to Nica, may head out in Jan for a bit. I'm glad you got taken care of, let us know when you get going at CFed as well.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Best of luck. Keep us posted
    *** UPDATE **** Will be leaving to the Dominican Republic on the 3rd for blending. Upon return will do some final blend tests and pick a final product. The First release will be a mild to medium connecticut blend. I will be looking for one cigar.com member to taste review the final samples and rate your opinion. If you would like to be considered for this process, please give me a few reasons why you believe you would be able to give the best blend breakdown. Also a little history on you and how you became a cigar enthusiast. All entries will be placed in a drawing for a free sampler upon final product as well as a free sampler to the winner. Thank you for your time!
    Being as I wrote columns on conny's and am the chairman of the Mild-medium club, id be glad to help if you need ;) good luck my friend
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I nominate Kuzi. I think he's probably the best mild/medium blend reviewer out there.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
    Well, I'll have to wait until they are available to the masses. No way am I going to try and snag the 1 tester stick. To many folks around here with far more knowledge, and a much better palate.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I'd nominate Dustin. Or myself, but I'd just say "It tastes like wood"
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Rain:
    I'd nominate Dustin. Or myself, but I'd just say "It tastes like wood"
    I love reading webmost's reviews ---- would be cool to see a review from him.
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,372
    Was wondering how this was going puff, loved the designs u showed me in Chicago, can't wait to c final product.
  • prosspross Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    That is awesome. Love the entrepreneurial spirit! Way out of my league, but I wish you the best and will be among your first customers.

• Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    I would like to say in my ever so humble opinion, the man with the best review writing style for me would be Dustin.
    dennisking:
    I nominate Kuzi. I think he's probably the best mild/medium blend reviewer out there.
    awe thanks...

id love to. i really enjoy trying new stuff.