Home General Discussion

CCOM FORUM BLEND WEEKLY POLL 2: WRAPPER

Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
Just a quick recap. Thus far we have only decided body (medium for anyone catching up). Time to pick the wrapper. The wrapper is a critical decision as it imparts a great deal of the flavor and sets the foundation for aroma. Wrapper tends to play less effect into body, but since we chose medium, really any wrapper is doable. Again, when it comes to the flavor of the cigar, this is the most important step.

Below is a list of wrapper choices. Based on what fillers we pick, I will ultimately pick the priming so as to accomplish our medium bodied goal. Lets have everyone PICK TWO from the below list and the one biggest vote getter will win. Remember to throw in your reasons for why you picked what you did and lets get a nice discussion going. To clear up any questions which I am sure are going to come, habano seeds are all the same despite how people market them. Criollo, Corojo and Habano are all the same for all intensive purposes. If anyone wants the explanation, I can give it to you sometime but not in this thread.

Wrapper (pick 2)

Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro (dark, oily, sweet with a moderate flavor)
Mexican San Andres Maduro (sweet with hints of spiciness)
Pennsylvania Broadleaf Maduro (sweet like CT Broadleaf but also strong and spicy, rich.)
Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro (sweet and clearly ripe with a brown sugary core)
Brazilian Mata Fina Maduro (peppery maduro that is rich and leathery)
Habano Jalapa Nicaragua (reddish wrapper that is thin with a distinct sweetness)
Habano Condega Nicaragua (colorado wrapper that is leathery and smoky)
Habano Jamastran Honduras (tough wrapper that has a strong full flavor and long finish)
Habano Copan Honduras (spicy and sweet with a rich overtone and long finish)
Habano Ecuador (very nice wrapper. Leathery, spicy with a complex core. Pepin uses a lot of this)
Connecticut Ecuador (thin and sweet wrapper with woody, cedary notes)
Cameroon Africa (ugly yet toothy wrapper that is sweet and oily)
Sumatra Indonesia (a toothy wrapper that yields a mild to moderate flavor that is bitter and sweet)
Sumatra Ecuador (a sun grown wrapper made famous by the VSG. spicy and robust with some dry, toasty notes)

Can't wait to hear from everyone.

Comments

• plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 187
    My first choice would be the cameroon because, well, it my favorite wrapper. My second choice would be the habano condega because i like leathery and especialy smoky.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    My vote: Habano Ecuador. I've really liked the taste it imparts to cigars I've smoked with this wrapper.

Second pick: Sumatra Ecuador. I really like this wrapper, enjoyed in with another Fernandez blend, the La Herencia Cubana.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    1. Sumatra Ecuador- every cigar I've had with this wrapper has been AWESOME.

2. Habano Jalapa Nicaragua- wildcard vote, honestly. I believe the Graycliff 1666 has this wrapper, and it was damn good.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I have to vote Sumatra Ecuador too - for my beloved RP vintage 1992/decade.

Second choice is Brazilian Mata Fina. I just happened to have another cusano paired maduro. Can beat peppery, rich and leathery, in my book. I was tempted to go Habano Ecuador...definitely a tough choice.

• rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    My first choice would be the Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro because many of my favorite sticks use this wrapper including the CCOM Brazilian label

My second choice would be the Mexican San Andres maduro because it sounds interesting and something a little different while still giving the sweetness that I enjoy.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    First vote - Sumatra Ecuador love the VSG and the RP Vintage
    Second Vote- Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro -Have to be honest your description just sounded damn tasty !!!
  • rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    gmill880:
    Second Vote- Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro -Have to be honest your description just sounded damn tasty !!!
    Have you had a CCOM Brazilian label yet Gene? They are awesome. It was the first box purchase I ever made and I bought them untasted. I haven't ever regretted it.
  • JFJF Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 54

#1 - Habano Ecuador - I assume this is what Don Pepin uses in the Cuban Classic, then. This is the kind of Habano I like,  - some spice, but it doesn't annihilate all other flavors (like some seem to). I like my spice backed up with earth and other very rich flavors.

#2 - Habano Condega Nicaragua - Again, for complexity, for presence of smoke, earth (ususally smoky and earthy come together, no? I certainly could be wrong assuming this) and leather, and for spiciness without a nose-hair-singing pepper bomb.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    rdnstn:
    gmill880:
    Have you had a CCOM Brazilian label yet Gene? They are awesome. It was the first box purchase I ever made and I bought them untasted. I haven't ever regretted it.

Ron I have not tried those yet ...based on your recommend I may have to put on next order-Thanks Gene
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    First pick - Connecticut Ecuador; I love Conn wrappers on medium bodied sticks, ITC 10th Anniversary and RP Signature are two of my favorite cigars hands down.

Second pick - Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro; I also love naturally sweet Maduros, like the Vigilante Maduro, another of my favorite cigars.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    1. Mexican San Andres Maduro - My reason for this is a little unusual, but it's really one of the few wrappers up there I haven't really seen or heard too much about. I love cigars because they are many, varied, and always surprise you with how unique one can be from the other. I choose this wrapper explicitly because it is unusual.

2. Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro - I also, just in case people didn't know, love Maduro wrappers. Nothing is as aesthetically pleasing to me. But for the flavor profile, I like to find a very subtly sweet cigar; I think adding something that has a sugary core sounds like a cool idea; it is very different in it's description from the others, and so I picked it.

Remember, variety is the spice of life.

• Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    #1: Sumatra Ecuador: I havent met a cigar yet wearing this wrapper i didnt like. Not only flavorful but smooth.

#2: Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro: CCOM Brazlilian maduro....need i say more!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    man.... im torn.

so many good options. i like a good rich leathery maduro so...

Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro

but i also like honduran tobacco so much. I know it wont win, but...

Habano Copan Honduras

just for the fun of it...
    my cigar (if i was the only one blending this right now) would have been full bodied with a Habano Copan Honduras wrapper.
  • hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 123
    My first pick is the Sumatra Ecuador because, like a couple other people have said, I haven't smoked a cigar with this wrapper I didn't like. My second pick is the Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro, and again, I haven't had a cigar that I didn't like. In the end I'll be happy with what ever the final winner is. CK
  • iwsmith2iwsmith2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 65
    Sumatra Eqcuador... Second Pick Cameroon fo sho
  • VidarienVidarien Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    Sumatra Ecuador and Habano Ecuador are my 1st and 2nd, respectively.

I have a thing for the habano ecuador lately, my 5 vegas miami's have really been growing on me lately. Im gaining a real appreciation for the spiciness and complexity, as you said yourself.

However, im a sucker like many of the other guys for the Sumatra Ecuador. Ive just had too many excellent sticks with that wrapper to deny that it would be a wonderful medium style wrapper. I think it also has a wider appeal to everyone instead of something a little more niche such as a maddie/connie. Connies are too easily overwhelmed, and maddies have a distinct following, but not everyones a fan. Its hard to ever hear anyone complain about a Sumatra though if its a great blend.

Edit: I guess i shouldve just said ditto to joz, i didnt realize we had identical picks until i reread the replies, haha.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I'm gonna have to go with the Sumatra Ecuador for my first choice for the same reason as most everyone else, I've never had a EcSu wrapped cigar that I didn't like. The La Flor Ligero, RP Sungrown, RP Vintage 92... etc etc...

2nd choice would have to be the Cameroon I guess.
  • brc81brc81 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 249
    My votes:
    1. Cameroon Africa (ugly yet toothy wrapper that is sweet and oily)
    2. Connecticut Ecuador (thin and sweet wrapper with woody, cedary notes)
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 207
    I say first: Habano Ecuador because I like spicy and complex, but many smokes that are spicy and complex also knock me on my ar$e. (didn't expect that one to be censored) With our medium body, that shouldn't be an issue ;)

Second choice: Sumatra Ecuador
  • rmccloudrmccloud Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 160
    I think that I am going to have to go with
    1. Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro. Can't go wrong with a nice maduro.
    2. Cameroon Africa. Seem to remember having a few sticks with this wrapper and they were pretty good.
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 191
    My choices....Habano Ecuador & Cameroon
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    1. Cameroon Africa - I've had a lot of great cigars (looking back, I think quite a few were perdomos) with this wrapper. They tend to be both sweet and slightly spicy at the same time, making for a nice complex smoke.

2. Habano Jalapa Nicaragua - Love the color of this wrapper but also the sweetness with subtle spice - so for the same reasons I love the Cameroon.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    I have to go with the Habano Ecuador...many of the medium bodied smokes I've enjoyed have been cloaked in this wrapper. It gives a medium bodied smoke the edge and complexity that keeps me interested.

My second choice is a bit of a wild card, but the Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro sounds fantastic.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    My first pic would be Cameroon Africa. LOVE Cameroon wrapped cigars.

Second choice would be Sumatra Ecuador. The VSG is an awesome cigar.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Alex Svenson:
    Just a quick recap. Thus far we have only decided body (medium for anyone catching up). Time to pick the wrapper. The wrapper is a critical decision as it imparts a great deal of the flavor and sets the foundation for aroma. Wrapper tends to play less effect into body, but since we chose medium, really any wrapper is doable. Again, when it comes to the flavor of the cigar, this is the most important step.

Below is a list of wrapper choices. Based on what fillers we pick, I will ultimately pick the priming so as to accomplish our medium bodied goal. Lets have everyone PICK TWO from the below list and the one biggest vote getter will win. Remember to throw in your reasons for why you picked what you did and lets get a nice discussion going. To clear up any questions which I am sure are going to come, habano seeds are all the same despite how people market them. Criollo, Corojo and Habano are all the same for all intensive purposes. If anyone wants the explanation, I can give it to you sometime but not in this thread.

Wrapper (pick 2)

Pennsylvania Broadleaf Maduro (sweet like CT Broadleaf but also strong and spicy, rich.)
    Habano Jalapa Nicaragua (reddish wrapper that is thin with a distinct sweetness)
    Habano Jamastran Honduras (tough wrapper that has a strong full flavor and long finish)
    Habano Ecuador (very nice wrapper. Leathery, spicy with a complex core. Pepin uses a lot of this)
    Sumatra Indonesia (a toothy wrapper that yields a mild to moderate flavor that is bitter and sweet)
    Sumatra Ecuador (a sun grown wrapper made famous by the VSG. spicy and robust with some dry, toasty notes)

I assume that this cigar is being rolled with just one wrapper, but I am going to pick my two choices based upon what if we did a double wrapper? Like a double maduro? I think that would be awesome. Here are my choices:
    1. Connecticut. Broadleaf Maduro - a nice oily sweet wrapper, nice flavor, not too overwhelming 2. Habano Ecuador- a wrapper to add some spice and complexity to the smoke.
    I tried picking wrappers that wouldn't overwhelm each other.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    It will be made with only one wrapper, but I want everyone to vote for two. There are a lot of choices and I think this way everyone can pick their two favs and get more of a voice and have a better chance of getting something they want.
  • Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 682
    1st Choice: Pennsylvania Broadleaf Maduro (sweet like CT Broadleaf but also strong and spicy, rich.)
    Okay, my first choice. I am a Maduro whore, I must admit.
    2nd Choice: Brazilian Arapiraca Maduro (sweet and clearly ripe with a brown sugary core)

My second choice. I absolutely love this wrapper on the C.Com Brazilian blend, and would love to see our cigar make use of this.

Sorry for coming into this late, I have not been active lately, but that is about to change given this thread. Fair warning...all my votes are going to take us in the direction of creating our own Triple Maduro ;)
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    plaidbanana1:
    My first choice would be the cameroon because, well, it my favorite wrapper. My second choice would be the habano condega because i like leathery and especialy smoky.
    I second this. These are my top two also.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    First choice: Sumatra Ecuador

Second choice: Connecticut Ecuador

These are a couple of my favorite wrappers and the two I think are the most consistent with a medium body cigar. Starting off with either spice or sweet flavor and follow it up with either toasty or woodsy flavor (respectively) sounds like a good medium-type profile to me. Not too strong or long, just flavorful then woody/toasty then done.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Krieg:
    Alex Svenson:

Wrapper (pick 2)

I assume that this cigar is being rolled with just one wrapper, but I am going to pick my two choices based upon what if we did a double wrapper? Like a double maduro? I think that would be awesome. Here are my choices:
    1. Connecticut. Broadleaf Maduro - a nice oily sweet wrapper, nice flavor, not too overwhelming 2. Habano Ecuador- a wrapper to add some spice and complexity to the smoke.
    I tried picking wrappers that wouldn't overwhelm each other.
    Another Vote for 1. Connecticut. Broadleaf Maduro! - I'm really diging the maduro's lately. #2 would be Sumatra Ecuador. I love the VSG so a wrapper of it's sort with the medium body would be nice.