Home General Discussion

MARCH MADNESS RETURNS!

Comments

• docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Rail Jockey:
    Any guess what will be on special tonight?
    Opus22 Charity box, 90% off. $94.99.

A guy can dream, right?
  • Rail JockeyRail Jockey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 758
    docbp87:
    Rail Jockey:

A guy can dream, right?
    I will take......hum....at least 10
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    scarlin:
    Pass for me
    Indeed. Wallet is safe tonight. Not a bad deal though.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    Meh, not a bad deal, but not really a great deal either. Disappointed for today :/
  • SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
    xmacro:
    Meh, not a bad deal, but not really a great deal either. Disappointed for today :/
    +1 I will pass. And I will wait until tomorrow.

my madness has actually been quite sane.
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 729
    docbp87:
    Rail Jockey:

A guy can dream, right?
    That's about what it went for on the sprint earlier today
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    jasonusa1:
    docbp87:
    Rail Jockey:

A guy can dream, right?
    That's about what it went for on the sprint earlier today
    +1 out bid by a second =)
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Wonder why the 10 MOWPA maduros list as shipping in a mazo and not a box? Also, that Padilla 1932 deal is pretty smokin (no pun intended) too! Better than the MOWPA one IMO.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    docbp87:
    Last year, if I remember correctly, there was a deal that included a Lost City or two, and the year before there was a God of Fire and Lighter deal that was killer... Here's hoping there's Fuente on the menu.
    +1
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    KCW:
    docbp87:
    Last year, if I remember correctly, there was a deal that included a Lost City or two, and the year before there was a God of Fire and Lighter deal that was killer... Here's hoping there's Fuente on the menu.
    +1
    +2
  • bigmatt72bigmatt72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
    y2pascoe:
    Wonder why the 10 MOWPA maduros list as shipping in a mazo and not a box? Also, that Padilla 1932 deal is pretty smokin (no pun intended) too! Better than the MOWPA one IMO.
    +1 I couldn't agree more, I've been somewhat disappointed with the $4 to $5 a stick price on the MOWPA, especially when you consider it's a corona, I could see paying like $2 or $3 a stick for them, but I think the price has always been too high on them bang for the buck compared to other cigars.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    bigmatt72:
    y2pascoe:
    +1 I couldn't agree more, I've been somewhat disappointed with the $4 to $5 a stick price on the MOWPA, especially when you consider it's a corona, I could see paying like $2 or $3 a stick for them, but I think the price has always been too high on them bang for the buck compared to other cigars.
    A good deal for both the MOW PA & Padilla 1932 - good luck finding these at a better price anywhere else though, but not what I'm looking for.

(And not to get too far off topic from the March Madness....but)
    @bigmatt72 - that's what I always thought about coronas too, why are they just as much $ as a larger vitola cigar?
    And I think this question has been answered elsewhere on the forums but I don't remember the original source/post - but from what I remember, it's something about the coronas being harder to blend and get right since there's less room to work with. I believe it's harder for the roller to get the right balance of filler/binder/wrapper in such a small size while in a bigger size there's more room to work with.
    If anyone else knows the source for this, please post it - or if this is wrong please correct me.
    (/thread hijacking)
  • VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    jgibv:
    bigmatt72:
    y2pascoe:
    A good deal for both the MOW PA & Padilla 1932 - good luck finding these at a better price anywhere else though, but not what I'm looking for.

@bigmatt72 - that's what I always thought about coronas too, why are they just as much $ as a larger vitola cigar?
    And I think this question has been answered elsewhere on the forums but I don't remember the original source/post - but from what I remember, it's something about the coronas being harder to blend and get right since there's less room to work with. I believe it's harder for the roller to get the right balance of filler/binder/wrapper in such a small size while in a bigger size there's more room to work with.
    If anyone else knows the source for this, please post it - or if this is wrong please correct me.
    (/thread hijacking)
    I believe you are right about the answer given----that said I call shenanigans. The far lesser amount of tobacco used should still offset the price of the different blending needed. Their milking it.
    Vulchor:
    jgibv:
    bigmatt72:
    y2pascoe:

(/thread hijacking)
    I believe you are right about the answer given----that said I call shenanigans. The far lesser amount of tobacco used should still offset the price of the different blending needed. Their milking it.
    +1 to all of this. The MOW PA's are delicious, but they've always been too expensive to buy more than once in a blue moon for me. These are supposed to be AJ's kicking around cigar, but it's priced like a MOW Ruination; I've always seen the price as more marketing than actual costs
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    jgibv:
    (/thread hijacking)
    I've actually heard the opposite. I think it was from Lew Rothman (used to be the head of JR Cigars). He said that coronas are the easiest to make, and the most well made cigars. People in Central America are smaller in stature than Americans and a lot of the rollers are women with smaller hands. So a corona is the perfect size for them to make, whereas it gets more difficult to construct a larger cigar.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Vulchor:
    I'd agree they're probably milking it since smaller size=fewer leaves=lower material cost (presumably).
    But either way, the corona size is becoming one of my favorite vitolas, and as long as it's a good smoke - I'm (usually) going to be willing to pay for it

Unthought_Known:
    I've actually heard the opposite. I think it was from Lew Rothman (used to be the head of JR Cigars). He said that coronas are the easiest to make, and the most well made cigars. People in Central America are smaller in stature than Americans and a lot of the rollers are women with smaller hands. So a corona is the perfect size for them to make, whereas it gets more difficult to construct a larger cigar.
    Interesting - that also makes sense. I'll keep digging for info and start a new thread or PM you guys if I find anything....

But back to March Madness....
    (And speaking of coronas) How about the new Facebook deal???? Very tempted to pull the trigger, fiance might smack me upside the head though.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Eh why not.......... I bit. Next.
  • chemforeverchemforever Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,200
    jgibv:
    Vulchor:
    I'd agree they're probably milking it since smaller size=fewer leaves=lower material cost (presumably).
    But either way, the corona size is becoming one of my favorite vitolas, and as long as it's a good smoke - I'm (usually) going to be willing to pay for it

Unthought_Known:
    Interesting - that also makes sense. I'll keep digging for info and start a new thread or PM you guys if I find anything....

But back to March Madness....
    (And speaking of coronas) How about the new Facebook deal???? Very tempted to pull the trigger, fiance might smack me upside the head though.
    Facebook deal? Cigar.com is on Facebook?
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    Yes, you should like them on Facebook. They sometimes have Facebook only deals.
    asianbiker8:
    News to me O_o Anyway, I'm not gonna Like them on facebook - I abhor facebook soooo much and only use it on rare occasions
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    Please be a crappy deal... Please be a crappy deal...
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    I must pass again.
    asianbiker8:
    who do I like? Maybe my settings are excluding the username.
    chemforever:
    asianbiker8:
    who do I like? Maybe my settings are excluding the username.
    ok google worked where the search onface didn't. Old thread also had ccom under a diff user name.
  • SheehanadamSheehanadam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 25
    Hmmm under crown...... On the fence. Convince me not to fall off.
  • bigmatt72bigmatt72 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 89
    scarlin:
    I must pass again.
    +1
    scarlin:
    I must pass again.
    +2
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    scarlin:
    I must pass again.
    agreed, but i might pick up that 5v deal in the morning
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    I'm likin the march madness deal tonight!