Home Non Cigar Related

Photography Entusiast

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Cam that's one beautiful dog brother!

Doug I'm in love with the moss tree shots man!
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    ENFIDL:
    Cam that's one beautiful dog brother!

Doug I'm in love with the moss tree shots man!
    Thank you. This dog of mine has saved my life more than once. She's the smartest dog I have ever had or met...not the most obedient because she's smart enough to want to do her own thing, but still a good dog. She will be handing out treats at Halloween again this year, as she does every year. The kids love it!

I agree with loving the moss on the tree shots! Those are great pics, and eerie as hell.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Here's a couple I've shot with my Nikon D40:

peaceful

back bay sunset

...and this one was shot with a Nikon Coolpix point and shoot:

Cathedral

With my D40 I try to keep the package light and small. I have the 18-55 that came with the camera, a 70-200 VR which is as good and light of a zoom as I could find and a fixed 50mm 1.8 for low-light no flash shots. I hike my camera around a lot so I'm a real weight snob, otherwise I'd never take it with me. Even still, I end up snapping with my Coolpix p&s quite a bit. I also don't use photoshop for whatever that's worth.
  • amz1301amz1301 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,287
    Damn bigharp, those are some incredible shots. They look professional. What lens did you shoot those with ? Did you use any editing software ?
    Thanks! The boat house shot was with the 70-200mm VR lens, shot from the deck of my sailboat at anchor in Vinylhaven, ME. The night shot is of Portland, ME with the 18-55mm lens and a 20 second exposure. The mountain shot is Katahdin on my way up Cathedral Trail. I could hardly see the screen at all on that one, I just adjusted a few menu items based on a guess and hoped for the best.

As for editing software I just use Picasa. It's free and it lets me crop the photo and add a little darkening shadow. That's about all I do to my shots, crop and shadow. I like darker photos, I think most photos are too light.

Here's a couple more from the D40:

Mount Desert Island, Acadia National Park, ME:

Park Loop

Sailing on my friend's homemade sailboat with another friends homemade sailboat in the distance, near Stonington, ME:

Russ Island
    Damn, I need to practice more. I'm with you, I like the darker photos.
    I've got a lens that's very close to the one on your wishlist. My 50mm is an AF 1.8 D. It doesn't auto-focus on the simpler D40 body so I have to manual focus which kinda stinks at times but for only $100 I can't complain. It does auto-focus on most other bodies and it's awesome to use. It lets in so much light I can take really natural low-light shots hand held. It's super fast.

How do you like the SB 600 flash? I've been dreaming of the SB 400 flash for quite a while now.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Sweet pictures Bigharpoon. We should have had this thread a long time ago. Bring on more shots guys!
    bigharpoon:
    I've got a lens that's very close to the one on your wishlist. My 50mm is an AF 1.8 D. It doesn't auto-focus on the simpler D40 body so I have to manual focus which kinda stinks at times but for only $100 I can't complain. It does auto-focus on most other bodies and it's awesome to use. It lets in so much light I can take really natural low-light shots hand held. It's super fast.

How do you like the SB 600 flash? I've been dreaming of the SB 400 flash for quite a while now.
    I was actually going to buy the SB 400 but when I called the camera store to see if they had one the guy told me the SB 400 didn't have much more power the the pop up flash. He told me the SB 600 was actually discontinued by Nikon for the SB 700 but if I could find one you got alot more for your money. The BestBuy near me had one left and it was only $219 and Amazon was selling them for $349. It does a great job but it is a little bulky. I can see where the SB 400 would come in handy though since it is smaller and you have bounce capabilities you don't get with the pop up.
    Was messing around learning some settings on my camera while smoking a few nights ago.
    ShotgunJohn:
    Here are a few I took back in 2004 on my honeymoon
    Where's did you go for your honeymoon and where is that second shot taken? That's beautiful.

Here's a shot I took of a groundnut:

groundnut
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Wow shotgun that lighthouse should be on a calander or a jigsaw puzzle.. That's nice.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    Thanks guys, The first picture is The Portland Headlight on Cape Elizabeth in Portland Maine, I really got lucky with the clouds and weather, it rained the next day. The second is the Jenney Grist Mill in Plymoth Ma. I actually took the picture with my sepia setting on the camera and it looks better than the color photo.The pictures were taken with my Sony Mavica CD.

Very nice flower macro Harpoon
    I know I said I'd try to get a "dummy" shop (online store front) for you all to view by now, but I forgot that 'mid-terms' were comming up for my college courses...so I've been busy studying and finishing up labs and forgot all about it! Maybe once mid-terms are over I'll have a little more time. My first big test is in the morning, another the day after and 3 or 4 more next week....crazy times for a Grampa going back to school after 27 years in the work force.
    I can barely take the stress, so I study in the garage with a cigar....gotta have a silver lining somewhere eh?

Don't worry about it Cam! You have much much more important things to worry about. GL on the midterms brother!
    John I finally saw some of your pics and they are awesome brother. All of you guys make me jealous. I suck at landscape photography and you guys have mad skills
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Picked up a Canon EOS 60D tonight....haven't had a chance to play with yet...
    Very nice Steve. Can't wait to see some pics from that beast!
    Took these on my iPhone using instagram:
    Those are pretty damn good photos for a phone!

Here's one I took a few years back, at anchor on my sailboat waiting for the oncoming storm front which ended up hammering us. Good thing we found a great anchorage, it could have been ugly:

low pressure

It was really hard to capture the blue color coming out of the low pressure front, especially since it had started to rain and I didn't want to play around with my camera for long. I just wanted the shot and ducked back below quickly. I think enhancing something like this is where photoshop would come in handy.
    Yeah I'm really really impressed with the iPhone's camera. That's a cool pic. I love the light blue with the front and the dark contrast in the back
    I saw a pumpkin, and that reminded me of the carving I did last year. Most of you have seen my dog, Tiny (avatar and pics I've posted).... so I did a pumpkin carving of her. I don't think this is the best pic of it that I have, but it's good enough.

camgfs:
    I saw a pumpkin, and that reminded me of the carving I did last year. Most of you have seen my dog, Tiny (avatar and pics I've posted).... so I did a pumpkin carving of her. I don't think this is the best pic of it that I have, but it's good enough.

My God, that thing's a work of art! I can't believe you did that with a pumpkin. Awesome job.
    Thpought I wold post a pic of this year's pumpkin.

Looks like this thread is dying off! Here's a pic of a little friend. This cousin of the Blue Jay decided the chips I was eating were worth the risk of landing in my hand.

Not sure how I missed the pumpkins but those are bada$$ man! That's really cool that the blue jay landed in your hand. Not something you see everyday lol
    Yes, let's keep this thread going. Here's a shot I took of Fort Preble near my old home in Maine:

fort preble

Build in 1808 to defend the main shipping approach to Portland Harbor. The background island is Fort Gorges and there are several other forts within cannonball shot. Such a cool area.
    That's a really awesome shot brother!
  • TheedgeTheedge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 316