Home General Discussion

ADDRESS LIST "CLOSED"

13»

Comments

• Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    Ok This Thread should be closed ! DAYUM!
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDNG ME HERE?
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Am I reading this wrong, or is everyone pretty much saying they no longer want to participate in bombings? Jesus guys, really? I could see if this list had SSN's, birthdates, spouses' info on it, but its just addresses. Last time I checked, you could look up just about anyone's address in the phone book for Christ's sake. If some unnamed, malicious entity out there wants anyone on this forum's address, I'm sure they could get it without the aid of our little list. I really do try to stay out of the drama that goes on here from time to time, but I can't sit back and watch one of the most fun aspects of our community disappear due to it.

I, for one, plan on continuing the sending of bombs to those that I think deserve it; and I hope everyone else does too. For me (and I suspect I'm not alone here), its not about getting free cigars or showing off how many cigars you have and can afford to give away. Its just a fun way to interact with the other members here. I posted a thread a while back about how amazing this community is, and the bombs are part of that. I have never seen a community (much less an ONLINE community) of people who were so unanimously generous and trusting. We are taking time out of our schedule, and sticks out of our inventory, to send a surprise to someone else we have likely never met for no real reason whatsoever, or to say thank you at times, or because that member is having a shitty go of things and we know this will brighten their day a little. I am grateful for every bomb or extra stick thrown in on a trade I have ever received from this forum. Even when I receive a package that has all cigars I don't care for, I'm grateful that the person in question put time and effort into something with no expectation of recompensation. For the members on here that have been around a little while, how many times have you seen someone post on the forums about going through financial difficulties, then later to see that person receiving cigars on top of cigars from random forum members? Or someone complaining about not being able to find a certain cigar that they really want to try, then later seeing that someone on the boards here had that particular stick in stock and shot it their way? And you guys really want this to end?
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    I know this is closed but I was away and couldn't get on. Anyway, I don't think ANYONE is saying they don't want to do or receive bombs. Where did that come from? The issue is and was the handling of the list of addresses.
    The list was started to facillitate the bombs and such that went on here. The issue is that the list went from an informal gathering of addresses from various sourcers here at the forums to some master list that people were sending out to anyone who asked for it.
    Under the old system we had a sort of vouche safe system built into it. If you contacted me for someones address I could see if you were a newer member or someone who had just shown up a week ago and decide if that information should be sent to you. I THINK that is the real issue... this list has become something which has been sent around too easily with no safe checks . I know that the BOTL that come here don't do so to screw others over, but we have had incidences here in the past, and in todays world information can be used in nasty ways so people here are a little nervous about who has their information and how they got it.
    If anyone is going to go off half cocked and start talking about the end of bombs and such that is just a slly over reaction. People addresses have not suddenly dried up or something. They are still out there and if needed can be aquired from various sources, myself included. To say the fun and games and bombs are over because of this in not the case at all. The use of PM's and a little descretion goes a long long way. These lists were made for a good reason, but the sending out of the list as a whole rather then a single address as requested was likely not a good idea, as everyone on that list did not agree to have that done with their information.
    C'mon guy's, cool down and give this a little reflection and I think you will all realize that nothing has changed here except some BOTL have requested that their personal information not be made public. The games will continue...IMO
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    Good post, Laker. You summed it up well. And I've seen a few people say it's no big deal because you can look up people's addresses anyway. That may be true if you have their name and their general location (city, state, etc), but can you really find my address online just by googling 'unthought_known'? You might find some pearl jam lyrics, but that's about it.

I haven't seen the list personally so I don't know the format, or the process for getting on it - but I assume that people are only added if they give their consent?
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Where exactly is the evidence that it started getting sent around so freely? That's my stumbling block on this. I haven't had many dealings with Wayne, who seems to get the most references as the current 'list-keeper,' but he seems like a stand-up guy and he's respected by most if not all members of this forum and that speaks volumes about his credibility in my mind. To call question to how this list is handled seems to me to really call into question those that handle the list. And since there is one (maybe two or three apparently) person who seems primarily responsible for handling that list, couldn't this have been a concerned PM first?
    Ken Light:
    Where exactly is the evidence that it started getting sent around so freely? That's my stumbling block on this. I haven't had many dealings with Wayne, who seems to get the most references as the current 'list-keeper,' but he seems like a stand-up guy and he's respected by most if not all members of this forum and that speaks volumes about his credibility in my mind. To call question to how this list is handled seems to me to really call into question those that handle the list. And since there is one (maybe two or three apparently) person who seems primarily responsible for handling that list, couldn't this have been a concerned PM first?
    Ummm, I am afraid that by answering your question it will be taken as a shot at Wayne since that is how you framed your question.
    Wayne was compiling addresses here when he arrived and started to do trades and get involved in the games. There were several of us who also kept addresses for future use. Wayne eventually asked me for my information and he sent me his list and we both made more complete lists from these.
    I think the problem came about when the list as a whole was being sent out to those who requested it. I did NOT send the list as a whole to anyone other than Wayne.
    At no time has anybody pointed a finger at anyone and your question seems to be trying to get someone to say something like that. It is about how the information was handled...NOT who handled it. Please don't go there.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    an emphatic +1
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Same here please.
    laker1963:
    Ken Light:
    Ummm, I am afraid that by answering your question it will be taken as a shot at Wayne since that is how you framed your question.
    Wayne was compiling addresses here when he arrived and started to do trades and get involved in the games. There were several of us who also kept addresses for future use. Wayne eventually asked me for my information and he sent me his list and we both made more complete lists from these.
    I think the problem came about when the list as a whole was being sent out to those who requested it. I did NOT send the list as a whole to anyone other than Wayne.
    At no time has anybody pointed a finger at anyone and your question seems to be trying to get someone to say something like that. It is about how the information was handled...NOT who handled it. Please don't go there.
    I think in your conundrum you have found my point. IMO, when you boil this down, the crux of it should have been handled privately first.
    Ken Light:
    laker1963:
    Ken Light:
    I think in your conundrum you have found my point. IMO, when you boil this down, the crux of it should have been handled privately first.
    OK I don't know what you mean by that but OK. I am not in a conundrum, and if you check the first post... you will see that I never started this thread, so no, no conundrum.
    Sorry, sometimes I'm too vague. And know that I'm saying this out of a genuine desire to get to the heart of the issue and hopefully provide something beneficial to the situation. What I mean is that, if answering my question would be troubling to you because you'd have to point fingers at anyone, I think that's also the problem with the original post, because at the heart of the post's problem with a situation is the poster's problem with the actions of individuals, though it was probably not even the intent of the original poster (which I know isn't you, of course!). Because the crux of the problem is the behavior/alleged behavior of individuals, this should move to a private forum. That's my whole point.
    Ken Light:
    Where exactly is the evidence that it started getting sent around so freely? That's my stumbling block on this.
    I'm not sure if this is what led to the original post, but it does answer your question. One of these days I'll find the post that tells me how to create a clickable link...

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/278545.aspx
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    since this is closed,lol, ill say one last thing on the thread. im new here made my 1st trade with smoke em to get on the good traders list, then another trade with icpleel, i had ask icpleel for ftg's addy to bomb him quietly, kinda liking the bombing idea i sent out 4 more yesterday but since this came up i pmed all 4 to let them know they were coming so that they knew they had already been sent incase they didnt like me having their names on the list, ( i have deleted the list i had got from wayne, he has a bomb coming for that too,lol ), so jus wanted to say i like the bomb idea so in the future how should i (we) go about getting ones addy to perform the quiet attack? lol,
    Well, if that is the impetus for the post, then I think my point is substantiated. This should have been dealt with through PM.
    Ken Light:
    Well, if that is the impetus for the post, then I think my point is substantiated. This should have been dealt with through PM.
    Well, Ozzie wasn't calling out anybody specifically. He was basically asking if other people felt the same way he did. That's hard to do via PM. The thread definitely took a wrong turn somewhere though.
    Unthought_Known:
    Ken Light:
    Where exactly is the evidence that it started getting sent around so freely? That's my stumbling block on this.
    I'm not sure if this is what led to the original post, but it does answer your question. One of these days I'll find the post that tells me how to create a clickable link...

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/278545.aspx

If you want that I have that as well.
    Ken Light:

First of all I closed this Due toi the inability to EDIT your OWN THREAD,
    Second of all, I agree with Lakers Past post, Second of all The whole Issue of this thread came to me after reading Several Threads and Posts with people with 1-4 posts asking for the LIST that they Obviousley had read about going around in other threads. I do not fault Wayne or Laker or anyone for having or making the list, Hell i had a HUge List of my own way beofre i EVER got sent a list through this forum almost a year an a half ago.
    TO address this in Pm would have been MUTE. The discussion it has brought to light has been good for the most part.
    Who ever in the Hell started this Bullshit that People dont want Bombs was reading another thread or Doesnt know how to read, because I haven't seen one thing in here about knowone wanting to participate in Bombings.
    THIS ENTIRE THING IS ABOUT SOME PRIVACY AND DESCRETIONARY USE OF INFORMATION ! HOW F-U-C-K-I-N-G hard is that to understand? i guess closing a thread doesnt mean *** anymore either, although i am greatful that lakers post after it was closed was made. Any posts made by individuals after The thread was closed that hadnt previousley posted in the thread is merley bandwagon jumping and pot stiring.
    Thanks for all the feedback guys .

NOW ..... CAN THIS THING BE CLOSED ! ROTFLMAO!