Home General Discussion

Nicaragua Trip

Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
Hypothetically, if I we ere able to put together a factory trip for the forum for february, would there be interest in a group going. Would be a Wednesday to Saturday and probably cost anywhere from $650 to $1100 per head depending on what part of the country folks fly from. Let me know roughly if something like this would be fun.

Comments

• wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I'd definitely be excited about this. However, money is a huge factor for me right now.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I think it would be great. If everything were to fall into place financially I'd be there. I'll have to see where I'm at towards the end of the year to know for sure, but I'd love to do that.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Unless something stupid happened (work) I'd be in ...
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,048
    Heading to post office first thing tuesday to get passport and to get it expedited here asap.....Alex, if my job turns out good, and moves from temporary to perment by xmas, count me in.....I think it would be amazing if we were able to tour the country and factories...........Would you be able to get us into all the factories and what not(obviously depending on how big a group goes?)!
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I would also be down... Would need dates to be sure, but usually February is slower for retail for me.
  • tkohlertkohler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 70
    Depending on what this would all include, and where the total price would be for the entire trip, I am interested as well...
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    tkohler:
    Depending on what this would all include, and where the total price would be for the entire trip, I am interested as well...
    +1
  • HaybletHayblet Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,400
    docbp87:
    tkohler:
    +1
    +2
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I was just going to ask about this again. I can do it but I need to know when it would be planned as soon as possible.
  • jship079jship079 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 621
    Hayblet:
    docbp87:
    tkohler:
    +1
    +2
    +3 the only other thing is I would need to know far ahead of time to get off work since I could be anywhere
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    If business picks up and some people pay me, I'd be in.
  • Poker SlobPoker Slob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 996
    It depends on the finances at the time. But, if it's looking good, both Mrs. Slob and i would be in.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Wow, this is a great idea. Thanks for even considering us Alex! February is quite a ways off and we have to see how Christmas goes, but I am def interested in going. I have always wanted to go on a trip like this. I already have a passport, just gotta get it renewed and try and talk the wife into letting me go!
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Sounds like a plan. Definitely interested. Keep the details comin as u get em and we'll see.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    WOW, what an opportunity! I think it would be great to have someone like you, Alex, to go with! Too bad I'm in school this year, since I would have been able to go any of the last 5 years...but not this one. Thanks so much for offering such a possibility, and I hope many forum members take advantage of this!

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Wow. I would so be up for it. I mentioned it to the wife and she even gave her ok. I'd need to know more details though.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    My wife and I were already trying to plan for Pro Cigar in the DR but it is going to cost a lot more. My wife is ready to go. I think if you plan something you will get enough people to go
    Alex, you just got 20 grown men to say to their wives, "can I go can I can I pretty please?"
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Trip would run Wednesday to Saturday. To keep the cost down, I would probably have AJ sponsor it and help with some of the expenses for you guys. Here is about what it would look like:

Wednesday arrival at 1pm to Managua - A CCOM rep (most likely Josh or the Beard) would meet you guys in miami of the second leg of the trip so you would all arrive together. I will be there already and waiting outside customs with the bus. Once you get on the bus you will start with a gratis bundle of 20 cigars (sampler of 10 brands 2 of each from fernandez). We will most likely pull into esteli around 4pm. Since everyone will have been up super early, I will drop everyone at the hotel to shower up and rest. Everyone would have their own room at Los Arcos hotel which is a stones throw from the center of town. That night we would eat a traditional latin meal and be joined by our host AJ Fernandez for some Q and A and just plain old fun.

Thursday would be a very busy day. Buffet style breakfast at the hotel then a seed to cigar presentation. You will see seeds, seed beds, fields, picking, curing, fermenting, aging, rolling, packaging, box making... literally everything that goes into making a premium cigar. It will be a packed day trying to squeeze it all in. We will break for lunch halfway through the day where Abdels wife will prepare a traditional cuban lunch with beef, pork, rice, beans.... it is always the highlight of our trips. That night we would have a bbq at the house in Esteli.

Friday would be a little slower paced. We could revisit anything people want to go back to from the day before. We will also break up the day into three seminars and split up a bit. You will go through rolling school, you will work with me on making your own blend (that we will ship you a bundle of 20 a few weeks after you get back) and we will do a cigar tasting seminar on the palate, body, flavor etc. That night another latin dinner in town followed by drinks in the VIP suite at Cigar Zone disco tech in Esteli.

Saturday, before departing for the airport, each guy would get to pick a bundle of 20 of his favorite cigar from the trip to take back with them.

It would be an all you can smoke type of things with selections strait of the tables, from the aging rooms etc. All meals, lodging and transportation included in the price. Only thing outside the price which you would pay would be booze. This trip would be centered only around AJ's operation since he would help coop the cost. If we had time, we may be able to stop by the Plasencia facility.

Best time of year to go is Feb to April. I am looking at 2/2/10 possibly as flights get more expensive in March. I just went to AA to look up what they are currently and most of the flights and prices havent even been scheduled yet. However, to give you an idea, here are some estimates based on November travel which should be similar to February. Given all the free cigars it is a pretty good deal. We are not making money on it, just a pass through on costs. Estimates are by departure city below. I will only have space for about 10 to 15 guys.

Chicago $820

Miami $800

Atlanta $1020

Newark $935
    Los Angeles $1100

Again, just estimates. Lets start by getting a head count of who would be interested assuming the prices dont change horribly. Please reply stating "put me on the list" if you want to reserve a spot. It is not binding and if you need an estimate for a city not listed shoot me a PM. Again, this would be for a rough head count only but please only reply if you are at least 80% comfortable with the price range and the date of 2/2
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Alex Svenson:
    Trip would run Wednesday to Saturday. To keep the cost down, I would probably have AJ sponsor it and help with some of the expenses for you guys. Here is about what it would look like:

Wednesday arrival at 1pm to Managua - A CCOM rep (most likely Josh or the Beard) would meet you guys in miami of the second leg of the trip so you would all arrive together. I will be there already and waiting outside customs with the bus. Once you get on the bus you will start with a gratis bundle of 20 cigars (sampler of 10 brands 2 of each from fernandez). We will most likely pull into esteli around 4pm. Since everyone will have been up super early, I will drop everyone at the hotel to shower up and rest. Everyone would have their own room at Los Arcos hotel which is a stones throw from the center of town. That night we would eat a traditional latin meal and be joined by our host AJ Fernandez for some Q and A and just plain old fun.

Thursday would be a very busy day. Buffet style breakfast at the hotel then a seed to cigar presentation. You will see seeds, seed beds, fields, picking, curing, fermenting, aging, rolling, packaging, box making... literally everything that goes into making a premium cigar. It will be a packed day trying to squeeze it all in. We will break for lunch halfway through the day where Abdels wife will prepare a traditional cuban lunch with beef, pork, rice, beans.... it is always the highlight of our trips. That night we would have a bbq at the house in Esteli.

Friday would be a little slower paced. We could revisit anything people want to go back to from the day before. We will also break up the day into three seminars and split up a bit. You will go through rolling school, you will work with me on making your own blend (that we will ship you a bundle of 20 a few weeks after you get back) and we will do a cigar tasting seminar on the palate, body, flavor etc. That night another latin dinner in town followed by drinks in the VIP suite at Cigar Zone disco tech in Esteli.

Saturday, before departing for the airport, each guy would get to pick a bundle of 20 of his favorite cigar from the trip to take back with them.

It would be an all you can smoke type of things with selections strait of the tables, from the aging rooms etc. All meals, lodging and transportation included in the price. Only thing outside the price which you would pay would be booze. This trip would be centered only around AJ's operation since he would help coop the cost. If we had time, we may be able to stop by the Plasencia facility.

Best time of year to go is Feb to April. I am looking at 2/2/10 possibly as flights get more expensive in March. I just went to AA to look up what they are currently and most of the flights and prices havent even been scheduled yet. However, to give you an idea, here are some estimates based on November travel which should be similar to February. Given all the free cigars it is a pretty good deal. We are not making money on it, just a pass through on costs. Estimates are by departure city below. I will only have space for about 10 to 15 guys.

Chicago $820

Miami $800

Atlanta $1020

Newark $935
    Los Angeles $1100

Again, just estimates. Lets start by getting a head count of who would be interested assuming the prices dont change horribly. Please reply stating "put me on the list" if you want to reserve a spot. It is not binding and if you need an estimate for a city not listed shoot me a PM. Again, this would be for a rough head count only but please only reply if you are at least 80% comfortable with the price range and the date of 2/2
    Ummm....holy crap. Not entirely sure how I'll pull this off, but there's no way in hell I'll miss it, so I'll make it work. Please put me on the list for reservations. I have a feeling flying from SF probably wouldn't be significantly different than from LA?
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    what about from State College, Pa?
    and unless something major comes up... Put me on the list. I love Ruination!
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Alex Svenson:

Chicago $820

Miami $800

Atlanta $1020

Newark $935
    Los Angeles $1100

Put me on the list!
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Sounds awesome. Put me on the list.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Hays:
    Alex Svenson:

Chicago $820

Miami $800

Atlanta $1020

Newark $935
    Los Angeles $1100

Ummm....holy crap. Not entirely sure how I'll pull this off, but there's no way in hell I'll miss it, so I'll make it work. Please put me on the list for reservations. I have a feeling flying from SF probably wouldn't be significantly different than from LA?
    $1135 from SF. NOTE THAT GUYS FROM THE WEST COAST WOULD HAVE TO LAYOVER A NIGHT IN MIAMI SO THEY WOULD ACTUALLY LEAVE TUESDAY AND LAY UP TUESDAY NIGHT. COST INCLUDES MIAMI HOTEL.
    Put me on the list! That should work out nicely.
    martymcg43:
    what about from State College, Pa?
    would need to know a major airport near there.
    either philly or pittsburgh.
    martymcg43:
    either philly or pittsburgh.
    Philly $995 No way to do the trip from Pitts in one day according to the airline.
    To reiterate, cost includes all hotels, flights, lodging, transportation and major meals, 20 personal blended cigars, 20 cigar sampler and 20 cigar of your choice to take home. Also, there would be plenty of other cigars we would smoke along the way off the tables, aging rooms etc. Does not include booze and perhaps 1 or 2 lunches during travel (subway or something cheap).