Home General Discussion

COTM

Comments

• rusiriusrusirius Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 564
    madurofan:
    Sirius I agree with you completely. I guess I came off a little harsh towards COTM. i think the club itself is a good value with the 10% off and the newletter, etc. I just meant that I haven't been wowed by any of their selection, do I like the club? definetly. Do I think it is a good service? definetly. Do I think the 5 sticks every month are worth membership alone? No.

I've put my COTM on hold for a months but not bc of any value issues, simply that in the next 3 months I'm going to be travelling so much that I've downscaled everything at home bc it'll just be a waste.
    Oh no, don't get me wrong... My post wasnt directed at your comment... I was actually talking more about myself... I had considered stopping my membership because of the same thoughts... but then after thinking about it fully I realized it's well worth it in my opinon... The surprise factor, the discount, value of the sticks, etc... All added up it's something I personally feel is worth my $30 a month... ;)

Of course the downside is my wife wants to join a coffee of the month club now... ARG! It's hard to use the old "Those clubs are just a ripoff... They just use 'em to get rid of stuff they can't sell, etc..." excuse now... LOL
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I agree and disagree at the same time. I think cotm is a great idea however I don't think they are loosing any money with the cigars that we are getting even if you include packaging, shipping, etc... Especially if you look at how much they charge for cigars and boxes. Take the Don Carlos 30th aniversary. They are selling them individually. If you take the price per cigar and multiple it by 10 for each size you come out with $1148.50. You can get the whole humidor, travel humidor and 30 cigars for $1250.00. So, clearly the prices are jacked up. Another example is the Padron 1926 Maduro Torpedo. They sell it for $50. I got it for $25 in Miami. That's half the price. I also got the 1964 Torpedo Natural for $12.00 in Miami when it is $21.95 here. There is also another online place that I won't name that has boxes or Hemingways that are anywhere from $30 - $75 cheaper than here. Now, I am not here to bash, just making a point. I actually buy quite a bit from here, but I did want to point out that they are definately making money through other sales and by having certain cigars that we get from the cotm club priced so high, it makes it look like an even better deal when we can get those same cigars much cheaper. As for customer service, I have had nothing but great repsonse from ccom. However my last email about the discount I didn't get from purchasing the samplers hasn't been answered. But little things like that don't bother me. I'll just send another email. If I don't get a response a second time, then I'll call.
    madurofan:
    I've put my COTM on hold for a months but not bc of any value issues, simply that in the next 3 months I'm going to be travelling so much that I've downscaled everything at home bc it'll just be a waste.
    BTW... If you're going to be away from home that much you'd better send me your humi's so they'll be monitored and well taken care of... I'd hate to see your stash get dryed up or infested with beetles while you were away...

P.S. I'm not responsible if a beetle infestation forces me to have no recourse but to burn them out... But I promise you if it does happen I'll make sure I burn every one of those suckers to ash! No beetle shall survive!
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Sirius,
    My humidors are controlled by Cigar Oasis' with beads as backups for over-humidification. This setup would allow for six months without having to touch it. The humidors also sit inside a wine fridge set at 65* just another step in maintaining this perfect enviroment. Thats the long way of saying my sticks are just fine where they are :).
    madurofan:
    Sirius,
    My humidors are controlled by Cigar Oasis' with beads as backups for over-humidification. This setup would allow for six months without having to touch it. The humidors also sit inside a wine fridge set at 65* just another step in maintaining this perfect enviroment. Thats the long way of saying my sticks are just fine where they are :).
    Yes but I had a friend with the same setup... The compressor in the fridge burned up... It got 170 degrees inside the fridge and at the same time the short in the motor caused a backlash surge that caused his oasis to start running non-controlled full blast at super speeds... The result was 100% humidity which turned to steam... When he got back home from his week vacation he found every cigar in his collection turned into a bunch of tobacco tamales...

He was so broken up about it that he drank a little of the "cigar juice" running out of the bottom and died of nicotine poisoning...

*sniff* *sniff* He was a good man... I'd hate to see something like that happen to you... I'll PM you my address... I'll feel so much better and safer with your humi's at my house...
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Well then. I'll send it immediately. Shall I send the whole setup? Fridge and all?

I only ask that you please take care of them. The desktop humidor is the to be smoked now humidor, the Coolerdor is for aging. The travel humidor is for passing out to noobs. THe piece of tupperware is for the wife's flavored sticks. If there is anything else you need to know about them for proper care please let me know.
    madurofan:
    Well then. I'll send it immediately. Shall I send the whole setup? Fridge and all?

I only ask that you please take care of them. The desktop humidor is the to be smoked now humidor, the Coolerdor is for aging. The travel humidor is for passing out to noobs. THe piece of tupperware is for the wife's flavored sticks. If there is anything else you need to know about them for proper care please let me know.
    Nope... Just where you keep the lighter... Stick out tongue [:P]
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Back on topic... I was smiling from ear to ear when I got this month's shipment

The Monte was what made me grin from ear to ear and I've always wanted to try a 5 Vegas, and all the others I've never had either... So I'm super stoked!
  • MaduroScottMaduroScott Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    Lasabar:
    Back on topic... I was smiling from ear to ear when I got this month's shipment

The Monte was what made me grin from ear to ear and I've always wanted to try a 5 Vegas, and all the others I've never had either... So I'm super stoked!

You can't go wrong with a 5 Vegas. I've liked every one in the line. The Series A is a little bit to the full side of medium and has outstanding flavor. Great value.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Not sure about anybody else, but I am loving this month's shipment...It's a full-bodied theme (much like myself) with a DPG cuban classic, gurkha triple ligero, 5 Vegas cask strength, RP decade and cu-avana. I'm not familiar with the last and of the others, I've only had the decade, which I loved. Looking forward to all of these in a big way.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Luko:
    Not sure about anybody else, but I am loving this month's shipment...It's a full-bodied theme (much like myself) with a DPG cuban classic, gurkha triple ligero, 5 Vegas cask strength, RP decade and cu-avana. I'm not familiar with the last and of the others, I've only had the decade, which I loved. Looking forward to all of these in a big way.
    When I read posts like this one, it makes me wish I was still a member.. Damn fellers that one is a winner !
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    Looks like April is here a bit early...Tatuaje Havana VI, nobles, Nub Habano, 466,RP Fusion, torpedo, Gurkha Sherpa, toro, CAO Gold, Robusto,--hmmm yummy Nicaraguan theme
    got here so fast they forgot to dip the wp
  • jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    or it dried out so fast it was dry before it got to you.
    So, that's what in this months selection? I have had 3 of those. I don't remember the Sherpa though. It would be nice to try it again. The Tatuaje and CAO I haven't had.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    mustluvcigars:
    You sure about that? Undipped they're as flat as a credit card. Even dried out they're still as thick as... I can't find anything of this thickness nearby except a carabiner... 10mm?
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    dutyje:
    mustluvcigars:
    You sure about that? Undipped they're as flat as a credit card. Even dried out they're still as thick as... I can't find anything of this thickness nearby except a carabiner... 10mm?
    these were pretty thin, but i think they were mildly soft so I'm guessing they only partly dampened them.

On the other hand, great selection.
    its so flat i thought the baggie it comes in was empty till i picked it up
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    bbc020:
    dutyje:
    mustluvcigars:
    these were pretty thin, but i think they were mildly soft so I'm guessing they only partly dampened them.

On the other hand, great selection.
    Great selection indeed...The only one I've had is the nub habano...which is decent. I've really been looking forward to trying tatuaje, sherpa and RP fusion.
    dutyje:
    mustluvcigars:
    Mine was dry too. You can tell when they have been dipped in water and this one wasn't. Come to think of it, the last few I have gotten weren't dipped at all. I dipped then when I got my hands on them. I bet someone in the warehouse is just trying to get them out quickly and not his/her job or is not aware that they need to be dipped.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    rwheelwright:
    dutyje:
    mustluvcigars:
    Mine was dry too. You can tell when they have been dipped in water and this one wasn't. Come to think of it, the last few I have gotten weren't dipped at all. I dipped then when I got my hands on them. I bet someone in the warehouse is just trying to get them out quickly and not his/her job or is not aware that they need to be dipped.

I think it more likely that they are trying to dip them a little less so they are not as charged in the order and maybe that will lead to less failures of the pillows.
    Many on these threads have mentioned about a burst pillow, and we know the C.Com crew moitors these boards, so...JMO
    laker1963:
    rwheelwright:
    dutyje:
    mustluvcigars:

I think it more likely that they are trying to dip them a little less so they are not as charged in the order and maybe that will lead to less failures of the pillows.
    Many on these threads have mentioned about a burst pillow, and we know the C.Com crew moitors these boards, so...JMO
    That's possible. I have never had a pillow burst and I have gotten them fully charged before. It's just the last 2 - 3 haven't even been dipped. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Now, with that being said I am not complaining. ccom is close enough to me and I usually get my stuff the next day unless it is shipped on a Friday. So, I don't really worry about them drying out too much.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 321
    Updating an old thread.

Anyone else got their July 2010 COTM package yet?

Without smoking any of them and reviewing based solely on $ per stick, I can only describe this package as being "disappointing", to be more direct, ther most disapointing since signing up for cotm in 03/2010.

I may have caught a bad run so please enlighten me if you will, but none of these sticks retail (on ccom) for more than $6.70 ex shipping, avg. price / stick of this pkg is $6.78, avg price of the pkg retail ccom is $4.76 , ouch; in the past few months there have been sticks that went above and below the $6.78 / stick cost, but never have I yet felt like I have been 'cheaped out' so badly.

c'mon ccom you can do better than this, you have always given good value, in every purchase I have made, kelly's doing a great job with her Saturday forum deals, the DD;s are generally good, don't go cheap on your captive market, i'm box buying on the one's I like! You havn't seen it yet cos I've got a very anal mandatory humi rest period on all sticks, unless i know they've already rested, so I'm about to start tasting my first cotm sticks in the next few days!

And, usually, you can't beat ccom for value but I hate to feel nickel and dimed on what is (or should be) a loss generating marketing exercise.

Not going to stop my cotm, or buying from ccom, just want to air my opinion and invite comment and discourse

May change my opinion entirely next month, but if i can't air my feelings about what i love (cigars) here, where can I do it??????

• Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    For the past few months (6?) it's been a pretty poor value. I've only kept it because I've been buying, but it's supposed to be a much better value than just the discount. At least that's how they "sold" it. I'm a big fan of ccom, but the cotm value has been upsetting me for a while now. I can think of much better things to spend that 53.90 on every month.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Russ, I don't know what you are spending $53.90 0n. The COTM club doesn't cost that!
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    That's the price for the double. I felt it was a better value when I signed up. 20 more bucks for double the sticks. However; when the value's not there in the first place it's really here nor there.
  • MrMokeMrMoke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 321
    $33.90 is the cost of the "single" cotm + shipping.

it does give you a 10% discount on other purchases, pretty much everything I have bought gets this 10% off, but I look at that as an extra privilege, that fact is overall the price per stick on the cotm in not good, actually it's bad other i would'nt be here bitchin', the initial deal promise $100 worth of cigars, didn't come close in my book, probably referered to MSRP but I had already been buying at ccom prices so guess my expectation???

i'll reiterate, not going to cancell my cotm, stop buying from ccom, blah, blah, etc, etc, but I am mildly disapointed, and rather than have Kelly try to sell us through the forum on Saturdays, maybe she should spend her time trying to determine satisfactory cotm deals!!!

Just a thought, ccom comments welcomed. :)

• surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 628
    Im glad I read this before signing up.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 728
    I have to say, Ive been very happy with it. Been getting it for a year now, im fairly new to cigars... and I get to try out new things I wouldnt even consider buying otherwise.
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    First let me say that I've only received my initial cotm and this months, but yes I thought I'd be getting a little more for my money. I have been buying quite a bit from Ccom, so I'm sure the cotm has paid for itself for the last 2 months, so that really helps. It does make me try new things that I'd never even heard of before, but there are thousands of higher quality sticks that I've never tried as well. Just like most I love Ccom and will not cancel my cotm membership, but would like to see the cotm live up to the greatness that they've shown with every other aspect of there business.