Home General Discussion

COTM

sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406

Anyone get their COTM package yet?  If so, do tell!

Comments

• urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    The ladies at the office have mine. Hope to pick it up tomorrow.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I did! and lets just say it lives up to my name :)
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Maddy, whaddya get? The sticks I got don't match up at all with the newsletter I received.
  • rusiriusrusirius Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 564
    Luko:
    Maddy, whaddya get? The sticks I got don't match up at all with the newsletter I received.
    That seems odd... I'm guessing I won't get one this month since I just signed up a couple weeks ago. I thought the whole idea was that the newsletter was ABOUT each of the sticks in the package... Wonder if they had a shipping screw up?
  • sdipsdip Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 406
    I got a Monte Christo Media Noche, CAO Black VR, 5 Vegas A, Cusano 18 Maduro and Indian Tabac Maduro. Thought overall it was just medioce and includes nothing that I would consider a "super premium"
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    ok... so one super premium and 4 cigars that i have nothing but repect for. I dont think id be let down by that.
    Luko:
    Thats really freaking odd. What did you get Luko?

sdip:
    I got a Monte Christo Media Noche, CAO Black VR, 5 Vegas A, Cusano 18 Maduro and Indian Tabac Maduro. Thought overall it was just medioce and includes nothing that I would consider a "super premium"
    I'm kind of with you on this sdip, the COTM I've received aside from the initial one haven't really inspired me to keep paying $30 a month. I easily could have bought this same package for $30.
    kuzi16:
    ok... so one super premium and 4 cigars that i have nothing but repect for. I dont think id be let down by that.
    I don't consider the Media Noche a super premium. I mean I guess at $15 MSRP they could be considered that but typically they can be had for as little as $3-5 a stick.
  • MaduroScottMaduroScott Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 53
    sdip:

Oooh, that actually sounds pretty nice to me. I like the MC Media Noche and 5 Vegas A and have been meaning to try the Cusano 18 Maduro. Too bad this month was my Gurkha month (not that I mind the Gurkhas!).

Also, on the comment someone else made about the selections not being worth a ton more than $30, that doesn't bother me. I didn't join to get a psycho discount on cigars. I joined for the fun of a surprise shipment every month and for the chance to try something new. I would never be likely to buy the Indian Tobac Maduro, for example, but maybe I would like it?
    MaduroScott:
    Also, on the comment someone else made about the selections not being worth a ton more than $30, that doesn't bother me. I didn't join to get a psycho discount on cigars. I joined for the fun of a surprise shipment every month and for the chance to try something new. I would never be likely to buy the Indian Tobac Maduro, for example, but maybe I would like it?
    I did as well but last month was the only month I've received anything I wouldn't have purchased anyways.
  • ScramblerScrambler Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 746
    I would agree that this one looks like a bit of a letdown. Mine is probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere in New Orleans, but the only cigar from that list I don't already have in the humi is the Indian Tabac. I signed up mainly to get sticks I haven't tried. I don't see anything wrong with the value in this one, just nothing new or exciting.

But then maybe the problem is that I buy/trade too many cigars so I don't leave cotmc much of a chance to send me something I don't have.
    Scram that likely could be my problem as well.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    Thats really freaking odd. What did you get Luko?

sdip:
    I'm kind of with you on this sdip, the COTM I've received aside from the initial one haven't really inspired me to keep paying $30 a month. I easily could have bought this same package for $30.
    I'm at the office so I'm not sure, but those sound like the same 5 sticks I got. But the newsletter was completely different, about 5 totally different sticks. Maybe they just stuck the wrong flier in the package.
    Luko:
    I'm at the office so I'm not sure, but those sound like the same 5 sticks I got. But the newsletter was completely different, about 5 totally different sticks. Maybe they just stuck the wrong flier in the package.
    No No No, you're the one confused... Everyone else here is talking about COTM (CIGAR of the month club)... You joined the COTM (CONFUSION of the month club)... Each month they send you the current months cigars, but with the previous months newsletter just to confuse the hell out of you....

*hint* - If you slow down and take a month to read the newsletter, your sticks will match up perfectly and you'll then actually confuse THEM since they'll think you're in the COTM but you'll actually be in the COTM... If you then subscribe to both the COTM and the COTM clubs, then you'll not only get twice as many sticks and twice as many newsletters, but everything will even out since you can match one from the other...

Note that this is actually a paradox though as once you join both the COTM and the COTM clubs you'll automatically no longer be a member of the COTM club since you'll no longer be confused at which point you'll have to re-subscribe to the COTM club so you can once again be a member of both the COTM and the COTM clubs before the next shipment...

got it? good...
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    Thanks for the free subscription to the COTM club, Shirley!
    rusirius:
    Luko:
    No No No, you're the one confused... Everyone else here is talking about COTM (CIGAR of the month club)... You joined the COTM (CONFUSION of the month club)... Each month they send you the current months cigars, but with the previous months newsletter just to confuse the hell out of you....

*hint* - If you slow down and take a month to read the newsletter, your sticks will match up perfectly and you'll then actually confuse THEM since they'll think you're in the COTM but you'll actually be in the COTM... If you then subscribe to both the COTM and the COTM clubs, then you'll not only get twice as many sticks and twice as many newsletters, but everything will even out since you can match one from the other...

Note that this is actually a paradox though as once you join both the COTM and the COTM clubs you'll automatically no longer be a member of the COTM club since you'll no longer be confused at which point you'll have to re-subscribe to the COTM club so you can once again be a member of both the COTM and the COTM clubs before the next shipment...

got it? good...
    Which brings us to a good point, boys and girls: don't. smoke. crack.
    urbino:
    Which brings us to a good point, boys and girls: don't. smoke. crack.
    Apparently shaving with a Katana has a similar euphoric response to that of which a person smoking crack experiences. It also leads to general insanity but there has been no correlation between it and tooth loss unlike smoking crack ...
    Shirley's in the Crack of the Month Club? Is that the one in L.A. or the one in San Francisco?
    dutyje:
    Shirley's in the Crack of the Month Club? Is that the one in L.A. or the one in San Francisco?
    He sprinkles a little of one on the other.
    dutyje:
    Well, Paris and Britney usually show theirs in LA.
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    Well, Paris and Britney usually show theirs in LA.
    * imagines them sprinkling a little of one on the other *

mmmmmmm....
    dutyje:
    Every morning in the shower I join the crack of the day club...
    rusirius:
    dutyje:
    Always knew you had your head up your ass
    dutyje:
    rusirius:
    dutyje:
    Wait... Is that why it's so dark in here????
    rusirius:
    dutyje:
    rusirius:
    dutyje:
    Why don't you light a match and look around?
    dutyje:
    rusirius:
    dutyje:
    rusirius:
    dutyje:
    Why don't you light a match and look around?
    Hey, now thats a great .....

Nicely done, Shirley.. I've got nothing after that!
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    I don't consider the Media Noche a super premium. I mean I guess at $15 MSRP they could be considered that but typically they can be had for as little as $3-5 a stick.
    I hate to get back on topic... LOL... But after thinking about this a little more in depth something occured to me... I was considering canceling my membership the the COTM club (that's Cigar for those that were wondering... Stick out tongue [:P]) because as madurofan pointed out this really didn't look like a great "deal" and some of the other posts I've seen talking about past shipments didn't either...

But then I started thinking about it... First and foremost they're a business... They aren't going to be handing out $100 worth of cigars for $30 a month and losing money on it... That just doesn't make good business sense... If it's not worth they're time doing it, and they don't get something (i.e. money) out of it, then they just wouldn't offer it...

But when you really analyze it, I'd say the COTM club is a tremendous offering! $30 a month... Let's take shipping out of that... I don't know what these boxes usually cost to ship, but let's even assume it's only like $3... That leaves $27...

Now consider the cost of them paying someone to create/write the newsletter, putting the selection together, etc... Consider the cost of the packaging material itself... The bags, the boxes, the packing, the pillows... Then consider the fact that they have to make a few bucks for themselves... Consider the "potential" loss of revenue from the 10% discount... (I know I know... It could be argued that the 10% discount could generate MORE sales and therefore and increase in revenue, but seriously... Have you ever ordered something JUST because you got a 10% discount on it? You almost certainly would have ordered it with or without, so technically it's lost to them)

How much money does that really leave to purchase the cigars themselves?

I guess what I'm really trying to say is... Considering the pretty damn decent smokes they hand out, the discount, the newsletter, etc... I think it's still a hell of a value for $30... *shrug*
    Sirius I agree with you completely. I guess I came off a little harsh towards COTM. i think the club itself is a good value with the 10% off and the newletter, etc. I just meant that I haven't been wowed by any of their selection, do I like the club? definetly. Do I think it is a good service? definetly. Do I think the 5 sticks every month are worth membership alone? No.

I've put my COTM on hold for a months but not bc of any value issues, simply that in the next 3 months I'm going to be travelling so much that I've downscaled everything at home bc it'll just be a waste.