Home General Discussion

Need Cigar ideas for my boss

stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
My boss only smokes cigars maybe once a year. So I don't want to kill him with something super full bodied.
I need some ideas for a stick that's going to impress him in terms of flavor but not make him sick.
Something that looks good... Like a tubed cigar... Any ideas would be great.

Comments

• ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    I hear the CAO Gold is pretty good. I have not had one, but there are two resting in my humi right now and they look great.
  • FDSFDS Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10
    La Aurora Preferidos perhaps.  Excellent cigar more on the mild side and the tubed versions definitely look impressive! Great gift cigar and one of my favs as well.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I thought you hated your job? Is your boss part of that? Anyway, Montecristo has a tubo that's pretty mild
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    Macanudo Gold Label is also a great mild cigar. I had a few about a year ago and I remember them being a pretty stellar mild smoke.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    The Makers Marks tubos look pretty nice with the red wax seal just like on the liquor bottles. I've never actually had one of these, but they look like they might make a good gift, esp if your boss likes bourbon and/or isn't really into cigars much anyway.
    Oh yeah, since I never had the MM before, I have no idea if it's mild v. fuller bodied. Anybody had one?

I've heard the Perdomo champagne's are pretty good mild smokes and I believe you can find them tubed. Then again, I've never had that before either. Maybe I should just shutup and quit recommending stuff I've never had before - lol!!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    dennisking:
    I thought you hated your job? Is your boss part of that? Anyway, Montecristo has a tubo that's pretty mild

I do but my boss and I are cool...cause you always need references.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 846
    Macanudo Vintage 2000..in a nice glass tube is a nice pressentation> Mild to medium with lots of flavor and rich creamy smoke...can't go wrong with that!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Personally, I'd go with an Ashton. Mild but very flavorful, smooth and creamy. Maybe get him a Monarch tubo if he doesn't keep a humidor.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    stephen_hannibal:
    dennisking:

def. don't want to burn a bridge
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Rocky Patel just released a few of their existing blends in tubos, one of those is the Vintage 1999. It is a super-flavorful conny, pretty much on the mild side, and the tube itself is gorgeous, and the cigar is kinda on the pretty side too, silky Conny wrapper with a elegant white and gold label. If you can't find them, check out the Gurkha Grand Reserve, it is another very impressize looking cigar (glass tube and all).
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I second the Gurkha Grand Reserve. That was my first thought when I saw this post. Mild, creamy, slight cognac sweetness, but not dipped so it appeals to cigar smokers as well as not so cigar smokers. It comes in a beautiful glass tube sealed in wax so no humi necessary.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Montecristo, highly recognizeable name, good quality smoke, on the mild side but good flavor. Not cheap though!
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,214
    Don't get him anything too top shelf, he'll think he's paying you too much. I'll recommend the Cu-Avano Intenso; fairly full bodied but not overpowering.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I'd go with something that he might have heard of before, like Montecristo or Romeo y Julieta. Not the most flavorful compared to the others but damn nice cigars and a recognizable brand.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    For some reason occasional smokers think that the "Be-All, End-All" none better ever cigar is Macanudo...You may win favor and get off fairly cheaply with a few of these. Now, I am NOT ripping on Big Mac, the best selling and most popular cigar in the United States, I'm just saying... I have enjoyed many in the past.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    good point Kas ...
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    gmill880:
    good point Kas ...
    Agreed. I've noticed this trend with more than one person.
    The next time I go to the B&M, I'm going to get a Macanudo just to see what they're all about.
  • ironhorseironhorse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 469
    Gurkha's look the coolest, but I would go with a Davidoff. They aren't super expensive and you can get them in a tube and they are smoother than Lassy's boyfriends butt. No way they don't impress your boss
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    dennisking:
    stephen_hannibal:
    dennisking:

def. don't want to burn a bridge
    burn cigars instead
    j0z3r:
    The next time I go to the B&M, I'm going to get a Macanudo just to see what they're all about.
    they are all about MILD
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    they are all about MILD
    The 2000 Vintage makes a great gift, especially for someone who does not smoke a lot of cigars, I think it compares to the Perdomo ESV 91,
    Joe. look for the Macanudo 1968, it is a nice depature from mild.
    I've actually tried the 1968 and didn't care for it. I know Macs are all about mild, but sometimes I like a mild cigar, and I do enjoy a well executed Connecticut wrapped stick.

As far as a comparison goes....how does Macanudo compare to Ashton?
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    j0z3r:
    As far as a comparison goes....how does Macanudo compare to Ashton?
    Much less flavorful. Not that Macs are terrible, just that the Ashton Classic (mild) line is still very flavorful and rich/creamy for a mild stick.
    Thanks Rob...in that case, maybe I won't try a Mac. Ashton is pretty much my benchmark for a mild cigar, I may not hate the Mac but for the price I'd surely be disappointed. Sorry for the thread derailment guys....I still vote for an Ashton classic for your boss. Smile [:)]
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    Heavy:
    Oh yeah, since I never had the MM before, I have no idea if it's mild v. fuller bodied. Anybody had one?

I've heard the Perdomo champagne's are pretty good mild smokes and I believe you can find them tubed. Then again, I've never had that before either. Maybe I should just shutup and quit recommending stuff I've never had before - lol!!
    Heavy Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne is a great mild smoke. I haven't seen or heard of them coming in a Tube. Anyone have any input on this? I got one from my local B&M for free & the owner knew what she was talking about. I have a pic on my cell phone where the ash was 2 &1/2 inches long. If I knew how to post pics I would put it up here. It went great w/ some Scotch on the rocks. The next time I went in I picked one up. Would've liked to get more but my mild side of humi is full. As for the Makers Mark they have them there & I've been meaning to try them out. When I do I will let you know how I like them.

As for your boss I would go with R&J, Mac, or Monte. Good mild smokes that you can usually pick up at a fair price in a tube. When I go into a B&M before they know I have smoked just a few sticks they recommend these to me because they are popular & most people who don't smoke that often like them. If you didn't like him or didn't think he would care about what the cigar looked like I would say give him a Cuban Spliff. Great inexpensive mild flavorful stick but by far the UGLIEST thing I have ever put near or in my mouth!
    Sandman1am:
    Heavy Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne is a great mild smoke. I haven't seen or heard of them coming in a Tube. Anyone have any input on this?
    Yes, they do come in a tubo.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    stephen_hannibal:
    My boss only smokes cigars maybe once a year. So I don't want to kill him with something super full bodied.
    I need some ideas for a stick that's going to impress him in terms of flavor but not make him sick.
    Something that looks good... Like a tubed cigar... Any ideas would be great.
    I'm kinda late on this but wow, getting the boss a cigar. I would love to have you as an employee. Get him a god of fire tubo. he'll love that and if he doesn't then he doesn't know a good cigar. Does getting a boss really help with promotions any more? It sucks being a man these days, especially when hot young things work in the same environment...
    Hey Sandman, thanks for the info on the Champagne. I've heard some pretty good things about it from a few folks, and it has definitely been bumped up on my 'to try' list. I've gotten to the point where I like anything around both sides of medium in a cigar, but will not shy away from a so-called mild stick as long as it has a complex flavor profile, which is what I hear about this one. Looking forward to trying one.

Oh yeah, I've only seen the tubo in one local B&M, but they carry a lot of Perdomos, have had a couple of Perdomo events etc, so I guess they have a somewhat extensive selection.
    ...sorry to threadjack Stephen. Let us know what you end up getting your boss. If you wind up getting a raise or promotion, DEFINITELY let us know what you got him!