Home General Discussion

I Trust You All, So...

FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
Vote here. I am almost done trying all of the 5 Vegas line and I really enjoyed going through the whole line up of one brand. I didnt exactly smoke nothing but 5 Vegas as my last 12 cigars. It has actually taken me since the end of March when I had my first and still have two to go and had many different brands in between. Anyways looking for your opinion on what brand to start next.

Man O War
or
Oliva?

I don't have everyone of either of these, nor do I have plans to get them all, but I do have a good number in both lines and should keep me busy for a while. I won't start the other until I finish the one I start first.

Is the Nub line considered Oliva? If so I'll include them in with these and that will add 3 more to my list of Oliva's

Comments

• LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    Oliva... Just my two cents. :)
  • Poopy JonesPoopy Jones Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 357
    Oliva. Especially the Melanio
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    I'm gonna change it up and say MOW... FTW
  • ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 486
    Id go with man o war as well
  • matkn293matkn293 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,277
    I am going to say Oliva just because I am a huge fan. Especially the Melanio. I am jaded because I myself have yet to try a MOW. Although that may have to be tonight's stick.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    IMO buy the mow stuff now and let it rest while you try the oliva line. Mows tend to have a very strong spice which can make them seem very simalar and well can lose your interest.
  • New BootsNew Boots Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,634
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Mow ftw, buddy. But yes, the nub and cain lines are Oliva.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    New Boots:
    MOW FTW
    +1
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    MOW. You like strong cigars, so they will be right up your alley. Check out the Anthology. Good start
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    oliva. there is a wider range of difference in that line than the MoW line. I love me some AJ, but he has a very distinct blending style that is found in every cigar he makes. of course this would be a great opportunity to learn what that style is all about....
    nope still going with oliva. it is a wide range of what nicaragua tastes like.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 444
    While man o war is great, you should try oliva next. There will be more to try. Oliva got me hooked on cigars.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    I don't like to deny one choice for the other but, if I were told I could choose only one manufacturer to smoke cigars from for the rest of my life, I would feel a lot better knowing Oliva was one of the choices available to pick from.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    FireRob:
    Vote here. I am almost done trying all of the 5 Vegas line and I really enjoyed going through the whole line up of one brand. I didnt exactly smoke nothing but 5 Vegas as my last 12 cigars. It has actually taken me since the end of March when I had my first and still have two to go and had many different brands in between. Anyways looking for your opinion on what brand to start next.

Man O War
    or
    Oliva?

I don't have everyone of either of these, nor do I have plans to get them all, but I do have a good number in both lines and should keep me busy for a while. I won't start the other until I finish the one I start first.

Is the Nub line considered Oliva? If so I'll include them in with these and that will add 3 more to my list of Oliva's
    I'm an Oliva ho. Sorry, Randy. I like MOW FTW and all, but when I want a connie, I reach for the CT reserve, first. When I want a bit of kick, I reach for a Melanio. When I want a lot of power, I reach for the V. When I want smooth and rich and consistent and earthy, O (and often at a decent price). The G is good, too. I'm still waiting to try the Master Blends and any Cain or Nub, but construction and flavor are both strengths of the Oliva line.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    are you doing Cain/Oliva......if so go for that, you have a TON of different cigars to smoke if that is case.
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 392
    Both make great cigars. The whole Oliva line is huge when you factor in all the blends and the new ones from Studio Tabac. There are also the special blends that are store exclusives. Oliva having been around much longer I have tried almost all of them and they are consistent in terms of flavor, burn and draw. I've only had the Man of War and the Ruination so I can not comment on the whole line. (I think with the huge variety of Oliva's a fairer comparison might be Oliva vs AJ). Either way you win!
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,122
    Make Randy proud.. MOW.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    Whichever you choose, I'm sure we can help you along in your journey. Love to help out a brother with goals.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    Lee.mcglynn:
    IMO buy the mow stuff now and let it rest while you try the oliva line. Mows tend to have a very strong spice which can make them seem very simalar and well can lose your interest.

This is a good idea if it's within your means.
  • FireRobFireRob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,884
    rsherman24:
    Whichever you choose, I'm sure we can help you along in your journey. Love to help out a brother with goals.
    Dang it Sherm!!! I already have plenty of both brands. Don't need any more!!! Especially from you Sherm!!!!

As far as I can tell, I think I have all the MOW, at the very least everything in their current normal production stuff. The Anthology sampler knocked out most of their line up.

The Oliva's I also think I have every thing with the word Oliva on the band and several of the others (inferno, The Reckoning, Nub)

So as you can see I don't need any assistance. If I find one I am missing that I want to try and can't get it on my own, you all will be the first to know.

Got to say I did not know there were so many Oliva fans here. Guess the MOW fans are usually just more vocal about their opinions on an ordinary day.

• Tyland64Tyland64 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 714
    FireRob:
    rsherman24:
    Dang it Sherm!!! I already have plenty of both brands. Don't need any more!!! Especially from you Sherm!!!!

As far as I can tell, I think I have all the MOW, at the very least everything in their current normal production stuff. The Anthology sampler knocked out most of their line up.

The Oliva's I also think I have every thing with the word Oliva on the band and several of the others (inferno, The Reckoning, Nub)

So as you can see I don't need any assistance. If I find one I am missing that I want to try and can't get it on my own, you all will be the first to know.

Got to say I did not know there were so many Oliva fans here. Guess the MOW fans are usually just more vocal about their opinions on an ordinary day.

Come on now big fellas, take it easy on Sherm, he is just trying to help. You can not go wrong either way. Your cigar palate will gain tons of knowledge when you've finished both. It's really cool how you are approaching you cigar education. Good luck and herf on.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    FireRob:
    Guess the MOW fans are usually just more vocal about their opinions on an ordinary day.
    FTW
    ;-)

Lee.mcglynn:
    Lee's assessment is spot on....MOW definitely have a kick to them. It calms down with some rest but they all have that "in your face" AJ spice. You'll probably burn out your palate if you try to smoke some fresh MOWs without resting a day or two in between smokes.

But if you want a real challenge....do a search here for "Man O war badge"
    Some of the BOTLs have smoked the whole MOW line (or at least most of it) in a single day. Crazy!!!

But I dig both Oliva & MOW, can't go wrong with either brand IMO.

Oliva & Cain have some one-off samplers with limited vitolas (do a Google search for Studio Tobac World Tour Sampler) so if you're trying to get all regular production and LE stuff, you'll be searching for a while.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Oliva for sure. Just make sure you have the Oliva V lancero and maduro on your list.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    danielzreyes:
    Oliva for sure. Just make sure you have the Oliva V lancero and maduro on your list.
    Also remember that the V Maduro gets changed each year, so you might want to try to find each one. Do you have any/all of the Master Blends???
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    FireRob:

I DO smoke and like other cigars :) MOW FTW is just catchy and I can't stop saying it.MOW FTW
    SleevePlz:
    danielzreyes:
    Also remember that the V Maduro gets changed each year, so you might want to try to find each one. Do you have any/all of the Master Blends???
    Well crud, I did not know this, how can you tell the difference between years in the V Maduro? I have the MB 3 but not the 1 or 2. Got a ten pack of the MB III and bombed out all but one and still have the one Lee sent me that has a little age on it.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    FireRob:
    how can you tell the difference between years in the V Maduro?
    You can't tell from the band since they are all the same. Here's the rundown: 2008 Torpedo 6.5x52 2009 Torpedo 6.5x52 2010 Torpedo 6x54 2011 Toro 6x50 2012 Toro 6x50 2013 Double Robusto 5x54 So distinguishing from 08/09 and 11/12 is tough without the boxes. If you are looking for some, I think I can get a few different years. I might still have a line on MB2's as well.
    Tony, I'll have to look and see if I have more then one V and which ones they might be. If you can get a MB 2, I would be interested, as long as you let me reimburse you. Thanks for the info
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    FireRob:
    Tony, I'll have to look and see if I have more then one V and which ones they might be. If you can get a MB 2, I would be interested, as long as you let me reimburse you. Thanks for the info
    mb2's are amazing!