Home General Discussion

Rocky Patel Decade

Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 972
I recently realized I am in love with the Decade... I just love it so much. Its the cigar I compare others too... This and the OWR Maduro... Does anybody share my love for this cigar? And when I say love I mean - I'd rather a Decade than an Opus, Preferido, GoF or whatever! If I definitely want to enjoy a cigar and not expect any surprise I'd take a Decade. I also wanted to say that I recently got a pack of Decades that were a bit lighter in shade than others I have seen/had. This is in connection with a previous thread - I do not think these are different Decades. Just different color... In any case they also had a 3rd band at the foot say "Edicion Especial"... Anybody know of any differences between a "regular" Decade and "edicion especial"?

Comments

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I'm right there with you, but I have never seen the special edition ones. I just ordered the 40 cigar RP sampler, which came with 10 Decades, AWESOME.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    You know, I've tried these things 3 times and though I hear a lot of you praise them, I just cannot get into it. Maybe there is something wrong with me.... =(
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    You know, I've tried these things 3 times and though I hear a lot of you praise them, I just cannot get into it. Maybe there is something wrong with me.... =(

Jeeze, and I thought there was something wrong with me, and that I was the only one who doesn't really care for the Decade.
    I have given all of mine away in trades and passes, cause I don't seem to get into them, while others here love them.
    But then I like Puros Indios too, so...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:

Jeeze, and I thought there was something wrong with me, and that I was the only one who doesn't really care for the Decade.
    I have given all of mine away in trades and passes, cause I don't seem to get into them, while others here love them.
    dont feel bad... im not a huge fan of the entire RP line...
    Just one more example of finding a cigar everyone will like seems almost impossible. I would love to be that person.
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:

I like some of the RP lines. I enjoy the RP Sungrown, the Edge and Edge lite, not so much the Edge Maduro, I like the Double Maduros, also the Vinatages 90 & 92, and the Fusion
    I just don't get into the Decades.
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 972
    I love them... Period... haahahahha
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:

I like some of the RP lines. I enjoy the RP Sungrown, the Edge and Edge lite, not so much the Edge Maduro, I like the Double Maduros, also the Vinatages 90 & 92, and the Fusion
    The 90 is my favorite RP atm, but I would have to say the Renaissance is my 2nd favorite.
    Krieg:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:

The 90 is my favorite RP atm, but I would have to say the Renaissance is my 2nd favorite.
    the 90's are the only RP I do like. It's really one of the only companies that have a large line-up that I only like one. RP has a huge amount of blends but I really do think that cigar companies in general would have more QC if they didn't out-resource their blends. I know gurkha has done this a lot and I do feel that a lot of the newer blends aren't as good, but I still enjoy most. I have yet to have the empires....
  • T. GervaisT. Gervais Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    I haven't really enjoyed any of RP's line either, the Sun Grown was decent, but not worth buying again for me. I'm gonna buy a vintage 90 next time i visit my b&m and see if i like it.
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    I have had a decade 6 x 60 that was very good but a lot of cigar with that gauge! I have 4 toros in the humi right now waiting to light up. The Vintage 90 and OWR Maduro are my favorites right now.
    T. Gervais:
    I haven't really enjoyed any of RP's line either, the Sun Grown was decent, but not worth buying again for me. I'm gonna buy a vintage 90 next time i visit my b&m and see if i like it.
    The one thing I find about all RP's is that they are WAY better with some age.
    Except maybe the Connecticut, it is pretty decent at any age, but it is much milder then most RP's. IMO
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I haven't really found too much from RP that I don't like. Some I like, some I love. Love the vintage 92 and the decade. The vintage 92 may be my favorite. And I really like OWR, fusions, edges, etc. I also really, really liked the spring and summer collections.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    whats the thoughts on the RP Summer 09's
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    I dont like any of the RP brands so far except for the Decade. I thought that was one of the best cigars I have ever had.
  • tshawtshaw Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 178
    gmill880:
    I am curious on thoughts as well, my B&M has it, i havent, and i can get a box pretty cheap on here so maybe ill try it.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    I bought a box of the Summer '08's and really like them...

If he's tried to do the same kind of blend but just better in the '09s then I'd be REALLY interested...
  • JZJZ Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 827
    gmill880:
    I really did not like the Summer blend I had. It had no age on it though so I would be interested in trying one with some age.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I'm with you Ren, the Decade is hands-down my favorite cigar. Like you said, I would rather have a Decade Toro than an Opus, Prefediro, etc. Luckily I just got a smoking deal on a box of these, so I'm good.
    I like the summer 09 very much...mine had probably two or three months on it.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Luko:

what was the flavor profile ...
    true that wasnt bad.
    gmill880:
    Luko:

What I remember most was a nice steady cocoa flavor throughout, though maybe some slight spice/pepper.
    Luko:
    gmill880:
    Luko:

What I remember most was a nice steady cocoa flavor throughout, though maybe some slight spice/pepper.
    Sounds like I gotta try this little sucker :)... Nobody said if they are familiar with the "edicision especial" Decade?
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    +1 for another Decade lover. I remember on the initial puff I took from the torpedo the first time I tried it, I actually said "wow". In a good way. I haven't tried any of the other vitolas though.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I can't tell a difference between the edicion especial , regulars, or seconds., I think it is just a foot band they put on for some reason.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,921
    i was trying to find some of these for a little while. turns out all I had to do was call Ccom. I told Jeff I had been looking for them and he said they had some 5 packs so I grabbed a couple. Def. looking forward to these. I had a couple a few months ago and it was one of the best smokes ever! I can't wait!
    Russ55:
    +1 for another Decade lover. I remember on the initial puff I took from the torpedo the first time I tried it, I actually said "wow". In a good way. I haven't tried any of the other vitolas though.
    Hahha - same here! I said WOW and DAMN repeatedly...
    I really wish ccom would do some daily deals on OWR or Decades. But if I remember correctly, they aren't allowed to sell decades online, (like the Reniassance). I have a ton of decades atm, but really would like to see some OWR Daily Deals.