Home General Discussion

How do you smoke/go through your stash?

2»

Comments

• jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Ken Light:
    So this came to mind this morning because my wife really likes a Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer that only comes around once a year and a couple weeks ago I found a stash of it and picked her up half a dozen of them. She's only got one left and is going through it like there's no tomorrow. And I said to myself, "I'd never do that. I'd probably end up with two bottles left at the expiration date because I was too hesitant to drink it."

I do this with scotch and bourbon too. But, most of all, I do this with cigars. I get a box of cigars (or bottle of whatever, but we're talking about cigars here) and I feel like I have enough to go on forever. That'll be my go-to smoke, I'll ship some out in bombs, and next thing I know, the box is half full. Uh oh. Now they're in short supply. Maybe I shouldn't grab one the next time I'm out, I should wait for a better time. I'll only hit someone with it if they really want to try it and said so. Maybe I don't smoke one around a friend that won't appreciate it because I'd have to give him one. Then I'm down to 3-4. The last couple go veeerrrrry slowly, if at all. That last one could be there indefinitely.

WTF am I thinking? These are consumables, they should be consumed. Maybe I can give myself a pass on something that's good with age, but I'm just making excuses, aren't I? That bottle of scotch isn't going to age any now that it's out of the cask, and there's more on the shelf where it came from. At least there is unless I wait 5 years to finish it...

Sound familiar? Anyone break themselves of this habit? Not start it at all?
    If you need pumpkin spice creamer I can get you like 100 of them. Just wouldn't know how to ship them. We love the Peppermint Mocha and of course it is all gone but I found out they make the small bottle year round so we found it. But all the stores here have the Pumpkin stuff in excess.

As for cigars I might get a fiver of a variety of cigars. I like to keep what I have in even portions so if I smoke one kind and now have 4 I will smoke the others until I have 4 of each. I try to hold back and as they dwindle down I will hold one or two back. If they are hard to find like limite boutiques that can't be replaced they age. If I can replace them they get lit. I will hit the rare ones on special occassions.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    I will pretty much smoke anything any day. Don't believe in waiting.
  • MartelMartel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,423
    jsnake:
    Ken Light:
    So this came to mind this morning because my wife really likes a Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer that only comes around once a year and a couple weeks ago I found a stash of it and picked her up half a dozen of them. She's only got one left and is going through it like there's no tomorrow. And I said to myself, "I'd never do that. I'd probably end up with two bottles left at the expiration date because I was too hesitant to drink it."

I do this with scotch and bourbon too. But, most of all, I do this with cigars. I get a box of cigars (or bottle of whatever, but we're talking about cigars here) and I feel like I have enough to go on forever. That'll be my go-to smoke, I'll ship some out in bombs, and next thing I know, the box is half full. Uh oh. Now they're in short supply. Maybe I shouldn't grab one the next time I'm out, I should wait for a better time. I'll only hit someone with it if they really want to try it and said so. Maybe I don't smoke one around a friend that won't appreciate it because I'd have to give him one. Then I'm down to 3-4. The last couple go veeerrrrry slowly, if at all. That last one could be there indefinitely.

WTF am I thinking? These are consumables, they should be consumed. Maybe I can give myself a pass on something that's good with age, but I'm just making excuses, aren't I? That bottle of scotch isn't going to age any now that it's out of the cask, and there's more on the shelf where it came from. At least there is unless I wait 5 years to finish it...

If you need pumpkin spice creamer I can get you like 100 of them. Just wouldn't know how to ship them. We love the Peppermint Mocha and of course it is all gone but I found out they make the small bottle year round so we found it. But all the stores here have the Pumpkin stuff in excess.

As for cigars I might get a fiver of a variety of cigars. I like to keep what I have in even portions so if I smoke one kind and now have 4 I will smoke the others until I have 4 of each. I try to hold back and as they dwindle down I will hold one or two back. If they are hard to find like limite boutiques that can't be replaced they age. If I can replace them they get lit. I will hit the rare ones on special occassions.
    Saw some Pumpkin Spice creamer at the store on Mgr's Special just the other day. $.49

They only had 3 bottles, but I would surely have found a way to get it to you had I known!
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Ken Light:
    BrightLights9:
    It's difficult to embrace enjoying the present when you're holding on to something that you can't buy again tomorrow. However, I try to frame it this way - think back to the day you found the cigar you liked so much, and know that you hadn't tried it before that day. What's saying that THAT day can't be today, only with a new stick? This may be a single girl habit, but does anyone else hoard cigars that you really like and hold off on sharing until you find someone you deem worthy?!? I do this with quality booze too!
    Yeah, I gotta admit the good stuff I save for someone 'worthy.' Terrible of me.

I do this also. But that comes from experience. Giving a newer smoker an Illusione and just watching them toss it less than halfway through. There are many cigars that I will only give to someone who I know will appreciate it. And then there are those no longer in production or otherwise very hard to get cigars that I rarely share with anyone, but when I do, it means something.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    pross:
    I am not much of a collector. There are sticks I hunt for but once I get them, they don't last very long. After a go around with mold, I would rather smoke them and move on to the the next "HTF" stick. I also have given away many sticks that are my last ones or most prized. It is great to watch someone's face when they have been given something that they may have never experienced otherwise.

This is very much my approach. As much as I enjoy seeing a cool, htf cigar sitting in the humidor, I would enjoy smoking it and getting that experience much more than looking at it. I'll keep the band for the collecting aspect.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    Martel:
    jsnake:
    Ken Light:

Saw some Pumpkin Spice creamer at the store on Mgr's Special just the other day. $.49

They only had 3 bottles, but I would surely have found a way to get it to you had I known!
    Jeeze, it's not safe to post that you or any member of your family like anything anymore is it? Hahaha, you guys are great, idk how they'd ship either, but I appreciate the thought.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 430
    Puff_Dougie:
    Saddest thing about the alphabetical approach is that you work through a lifetime of phenomenal smokes, only to end up with a Zoidian!
    hmmm… maybe I'll have to stop at Zino...
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    While I have no rare cigars, I too have a habit of conserving the “last of” any cigar that is harder to get or that I consider to be superior over other cigars in my stash. But every now and then I'll smoke one of the last ones and savor the experience. (LOL and sometimes I think - "that wasn't as good as I recall" and I wish I hadn't bothered to hang onto it.)
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    No real methodology... if it smokes fantastic I smoke them or share them with a friend. Htf limited edition regular production it doesn't matter. If it doesn't smoke well (for me) I either hold onto it longer or trade sell