Home General Discussion

How do you smoke/go through your stash?

Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
So this came to mind this morning because my wife really likes a Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer that only comes around once a year and a couple weeks ago I found a stash of it and picked her up half a dozen of them. She's only got one left and is going through it like there's no tomorrow. And I said to myself, "I'd never do that. I'd probably end up with two bottles left at the expiration date because I was too hesitant to drink it."

I do this with scotch and bourbon too. But, most of all, I do this with cigars. I get a box of cigars (or bottle of whatever, but we're talking about cigars here) and I feel like I have enough to go on forever. That'll be my go-to smoke, I'll ship some out in bombs, and next thing I know, the box is half full. Uh oh. Now they're in short supply. Maybe I shouldn't grab one the next time I'm out, I should wait for a better time. I'll only hit someone with it if they really want to try it and said so. Maybe I don't smoke one around a friend that won't appreciate it because I'd have to give him one. Then I'm down to 3-4. The last couple go veeerrrrry slowly, if at all. That last one could be there indefinitely.

WTF am I thinking? These are consumables, they should be consumed. Maybe I can give myself a pass on something that's good with age, but I'm just making excuses, aren't I? That bottle of scotch isn't going to age any now that it's out of the cask, and there's more on the shelf where it came from. At least there is unless I wait 5 years to finish it...

Sound familiar? Anyone break themselves of this habit? Not start it at all?

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    I have a viaje oro and a mexican experiment sitting in my humidor right now from Jim that i got in a bomb over a year ago that i just can't bring myself to smoke because i know once i smoke them i won't get another.

totally understand what you are saying.

Regular production cigars that i can come by easily......nah, never an issue. I just tell myself i will go ahead and grab more.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    I used to do this, until, like you, I said 'the hell am I doing?' I bought it to enjoy, and enjoy it I will. When it's gone, that's it. I paid for the experience and got what I paid for. ;-) I may extend it a little... For example, My wife got me this bottle of Van Winkle sold basically once a year and in limited quantities. Some people are on a waiting list for years to get it without success. So I probably don't want to know how she got one. LOL. But there it is. In my stash. I have a drink out of it every Friday. I've probably got 2 more weeks worth at the most left in it. It sure is good. I've got one cigar I've been saving... aging we'll call it... some cabinet collection that is gone for ever now. I had a 10 pack box. One left. Had it for a couple years now. Catfish happened to send me another like it, so I've got two of them. I suppose I should do the same and enjoy those bad boys.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    brianetz1:
    I have a viaje oro and a mexican experiment sitting in my humidor right now from Jim that i got in a bomb over a year ago that i just can't bring myself to smoke because i know once i smoke them i won't get another.

totally understand what you are saying.

Regular production cigars that i can come by easily......nah, never an issue. I just tell myself i will go ahead and grab more.
    Oh, don't get me started on what happens if I only have one! lol
  • flowbeeflowbee Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,100
    I do this with wine. Some wines are meant to sit and sit, but some wines are meant to consume. My mother has a vineyard that contributes to a couple of reserve released wines up in N. California. I look forward to the gift bottles, and normally I will kinda hide them in the back. Well. this year she gave me a Martinelli special release, and said to me," don't hoard this one, drink it".LOL I laughed and shared it with my friends on the next dinner party we hosted. I agree (wink) with you on certain products concerning aging, certain wines Pinot Grigio, for example are meant to be enjoyed before they turn to vinegar, some heavier Red wines can be sitting and getting better as they age. I am new to cigars, and I can only guess that some are better with age, and some maybe should be consumed faster than others. These pieces of information, I will learn as my veteran BOTL share knowledge in threads just like this!
    WaltBasil:
    I used to do this, until, like you, I said 'the hell am I doing?' I bought it to enjoy, and enjoy it I will. When it's gone, that's it. I paid for the experience and got what I paid for. ;-) I may extend it a little... For example, My wife got me this bottle of Van Winkle sold basically once a year and in limited quantities. Some people are on a waiting list for years to get it without success. So I probably don't want to know how she got one. LOL. But there it is. In my stash. I have a drink out of it every Friday. I've probably got 2 more weeks worth at the most left in it. It sure is good. I've got one cigar I've been saving... aging we'll call it... some cabinet collection that is gone for ever now. I had a 10 pack box. One left. Had it for a couple years now. Catfish happened to send me another like it, so I've got two of them. I suppose I should do the same and enjoy those bad boys.
    As far as I'm concerned, going through a bottle of Pappy by having one every friday would be lightning speed! Awesome that you got one, I remember seeing them multiple times years ago before I was really into that stuff. I can't tell you how many bottles I've probably passed over and I kick myself for every last one.

Unfortunately I've gone from 'the hell am I doing' back to doing the same thing a few times now. One day it'll stick? Maybe?
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    I've really been into craft beers and lately I've been going for the HTF stuff. I love to hunt for them. I drive all over So Ca just to find them. As soon as I get them I'm like "Now what?" I went through all of that trouble and I don't want to just drink it, because I went through all that trouble lol. Luckily my wife also loves beer and forces me to open them. In the end , all that hard work was worth it :)
    flowbee:
    I do this with wine. Some wines are meant to sit and sit, but some wines are meant to consume. My mother has a vineyard that contributes to a couple of reserve released wines up in N. California. I look forward to the gift bottles, and normally I will kinda hide them in the back. Well. this year she gave me a Martinelli special release, and said to me," don't hoard this one, drink it".LOL I laughed and shared it with my friends on the next dinner party we hosted. I agree (wink) with you on certain products concerning aging, certain wines Pinot Grigio, for example are meant to be enjoyed before they turn to vinegar, some heavier Red wines can be sitting and getting better as they age. I am new to cigars, and I can only guess that some are better with age, and some maybe should be consumed faster than others. These pieces of information, I will learn as my veteran BOTL share knowledge in threads just like this!
    this is totally the case....i have been told that liga products don't age well, you get them you smoke them. Drew will tell you that himself.
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,711
    I have been thinking about this lately myself. This time of year up north and with the baby, I get limited time for a smoke/drink if I get it at all. I find myself looking through the humi and thinking "no, don't smoke that one yet". I skip over the Tat/Angel's Envy and go for the 5V/Buffalo Trace. Not that I don't enjoy it, but I bought these cigars to enjoy and find myself hoarding them for some reason.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    If it is a cigar that is still in production, I have no issue burning through them. But yeah, if it's something I can't get any more, I am very hesitant about smoking them. I only have about a box and a half of Prymes left, and every time I do smoke one, it hurts, lol. I've only got a few Defiances left and I am under 20 RP Decades now, too. I also am on my last box of Tat Anarchy's. Those cigars only get pulled out for a special occasion. I will probably never smoke my last Pryme, Defiance, Decade, or Anarchy. When I die there will be at least one left of each of those and I'll leave them in my will to my son-in-law, assuming I have one at the time, lol.
  • EchambersEchambers Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,335
    Having flirted with death/dying too many times to think about I tend to smoke/eat/drink etc. what I want when it feels right--certainly there are sticks I save for a special occasion but I try to live my life in such a way that I have a lot of special occasions (of course my kids thinks it's a little weird and a little ironic for me to celebrate their good report cards by smoking an ISOM. I am absolutely convinced if I smoked my last great cigar tonight I will find another last great cigar tomorrow. ("every ending is the start of a new beginning," or some-such think like that.)

Don't regret that you smoked your last ______, celebrate that you had the opportunity to smoke your last ______. That's what I think.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    Echambers:
    Having flirted with death/dying too many times to think about I tend to smoke/eat/drink etc. what I want when it feels right--certainly there are sticks I save for a special occasion but I try to live my life in such a way that I have a lot of special occasions (of course my kids thinks it's a little weird and a little ironic for me to celebrate their good report cards by smoking an ISOM. I am absolutely convinced if I smoked my last great cigar tonight I will find another last great cigar tomorrow. ("every ending is the start of a new beginning," or some-such think like that.)

Don't regret that you smoked your last ______, celebrate that you had the opportunity to smoke your last ______. That's what I think.
    LMBO... that was funny... the report card. Lovely.
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    One at a time. Har har!I am in to the "collecting" aspect, but for the last few months I either choose by size (time) or stuff that I have yet to try. I'm for sure a "Oh no, it's my last one...better leave it" type of person. Sometimes I think I like collecting better then smoking.
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,519
    I try not to even choose anymore... I don wanna know... I just blind pick or convince the ol'lady to select for me. I do try to save some with some age on them for friends or special moments... but i enjoy whatever.

Aj
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    there are some i hold on to and some i smoke without hesitation.

when it all comes down to it, all of my cigars are going to be smoked. even the rare ones.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    I've noticed this since I was a kid, and it's only become more apparent now that I'm in the career I'm in. Some people are savers, and some people are consumers. Interestingly, savers tend to be firstborn children and consumers tend to be second-borns - that was definitely true in my family. Savers think long-term, and tend to hoard what they regard as valuable out of fear/concern that they will want it someday and it will not be there. Consumers ... well... they consume! If it's available...it's gone.

I'm definitely a consumer by nature. Wouldn't be inclined to "save" for later unless it was something - a cigar in this case - that I knew was extremely rare and would likely be impossible to find again at a later date. Even then, if the occasion seemed right, I'd fire that puppy up. After all, that's what it's for, right?
    flowbee:
    For a good example of what age does to a cigar, check out Diesel Unholy Cocktail. Good young IMO (thought some disagree) but phenomenal w/ 2+ years on it. One of the best maduros out there with age, even competitive with AF Anejo.
    Puff_Dougie:
    I've noticed this since I was a kid, and it's only become more apparent now that I'm in the career I'm in. Some people are savers, and some people are consumers. Interestingly, savers tend to be firstborn children and consumers tend to be second-borns - that was definitely true in my family. Savers think long-term, and tend to hoard what they regard as valuable out of fear/concern that they will want it someday and it will not be there. Consumers ... well... they consume! If it's available...it's gone.

I'm definitely a consumer by nature. Wouldn't be inclined to "save" for later unless it was something - a cigar in this case - that I knew was extremely rare and would likely be impossible to find again at a later date. Even then, if the occasion seemed right, I'd fire that puppy up. After all, that's what it's for, right?
    Spot-on, first born child here, and my younger sister is a consumer.
  • jd50aejd50ae Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,109
    I pick 3 in the morning for the day, some times 4. If any are bad smokes I get another 1.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I have totally fallen victim to the misconception of "Oh I just bought a box, I have PLENTY!" Then I smoke those when I can't decide what else to smoke and before I know it, I only have a few!! I am doing better now, but I've blown through a couple of boxes quickly in the past!
  • prosspross Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    I am not much of a collector. There are sticks I hunt for but once I get them, they don't last very long. After a go around with mold, I would rather smoke them and move on to the the next "HTF" stick. I also have given away many sticks that are my last ones or most prized. It is great to watch someone's face when they have been given something that they may have never experienced otherwise.

• BrightLights9BrightLights9 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    It's difficult to embrace enjoying the present when you're holding on to something that you can't buy again tomorrow. However, I try to frame it this way - think back to the day you found the cigar you liked so much, and know that you hadn't tried it before that day. What's saying that THAT day can't be today, only with a new stick? This may be a single girl habit, but does anyone else hoard cigars that you really like and hold off on sharing until you find someone you deem worthy?!? I do this with quality booze too!
    BrightLights9:
    It's difficult to embrace enjoying the present when you're holding on to something that you can't buy again tomorrow. However, I try to frame it this way - think back to the day you found the cigar you liked so much, and know that you hadn't tried it before that day. What's saying that THAT day can't be today, only with a new stick? This may be a single girl habit, but does anyone else hoard cigars that you really like and hold off on sharing until you find someone you deem worthy?!? I do this with quality booze too!
    Welcome and great first post!

I tend to do that when i buy more expensive sticks. If i buy 1 I buy at least 2 so i can give one away if i have the opportunity. Granted my budget doesn't allow for that often but when it does that's how i handle it.
    BrightLights9:
    Yeah, I gotta admit the good stuff I save for someone 'worthy.' Terrible of me.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    BrightLights9:
    This may be a single girl habit, but does anyone else hoard cigars that you really like and hold off on sharing until you find someone you deem worthy?!? I do this with quality booze too!
    Yup! Decadas!
    ROFL!
    And agree on the excellent post.
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 430
    PAtoNH:
    alphabetical
    lol nice. you been sticking to 5 vegas for a while?
  • PAtoNHPAtoNH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 430
    working on 601's now...
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    PAtoNH:
    working on 601's now...
    wait till you get too g lol
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Saddest thing about the alphabetical approach is that you work through a lifetime of phenomenal smokes, only to end up with a Zoidian!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I will hold off on smoking certain cigars if they need more time to age and come around. This is common with ISOM, so much so that they aren't just 'not so good' young but can actually be terrible for a while. Those are the only ones that I'll avoid smoking and let age. Other than that, it's game on. Cigars are there for my enjoyment.

I used to smoke all my crappy smokes first and keep all my best smokes in the humi, only pulling one out every now and then like a special occasion. Thinking I'd burn through all my lesser cigars and have a stash of killer smokes on my hands I eventually realized that I always had crappy smokes on hand and I wasn't getting to my nice ones like I wanted. It was a very liberating day when I re-organized my cooler and put all my best cigars on top and all my crappy ones on bottom!