Home General Discussion

Boveda: Are you a Boliever?

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
Boliever ( bo - li v?r)  - Noun. One who perceives Boveda cigar humidification products as superior over all other methods, while expressing special disdain for the use of silica kitty litter for cigar humidification. Often bolievers cannot resist joining discussions on the use of silica kitty litter by touting the merits of their beloved bovedas.

Comments

• RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I've tried boveda, beads and KL. Kinky, huh? Anywho, IMO, boveda took the least amount of work :)But they all work. Plus I can't judge the KL since I got it around the time winter started.
  • WaltBasilWaltBasil Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,675
    Thought this was heading towards Tebow.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    Rain:
    I've tried boveda, beads and KL. Kinky, huh? Anywho, IMO, boveda took the least amount of work :)But they all work. Plus I can't judge the KL since I got it around the time winter started.
    Agree with this ^^^^

Boveda's definitely the easiest to use....drop it in and you're good for a few months, seriously what could be simpler?

If I traveled a lot, couldn't access my humidor often, or had to have someone else look after it I'd stock up on Bovedas. But I'm thrifty & can't stand the thought of having to spend $$ on new humidifiers every few months.
    To me, it's worth taking the time to refill the beads/gel jars/humi-paks every few weeks --- and save the $$. But to others, the convenience is well worth the cost.
  • SasquatchSasquatch Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 228
    Bovedas are the easiest to use. They can be reused also. All you have to do is soak in distilled water til they recharge and you are good to go....
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    OK. But are any of you "True Bolievers"? A true boliever must do both - reject KL and preach the gospel of Boveda.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Sasquatch:
    Bovedas are the easiest to use. They can be reused also. All you have to do is soak in distilled water til they recharge and you are good to go....
    Interesting, you soak them? Never heard that before. I do not believe in most recharging methods I have heard. I tried a bunch, none worked. However, for some reason if I leave a dead one in my wineador for 6 months, it comes back strong. If I recharge them in a bag, they last a few days thats it.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Sasquatch:

Really? I didn't know this. I know you can with Humi Care Water Pillows. If thats so, That may change things a bit (at least for me)
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    Sasquatch:
    I have a few dried Packs. I'm going to try this when I get home.
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    I thought this was about people who like Bolivar cigars. I was hoping to learn about them :(
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,182
    Bob Luken:
    OK. But are any of you "True Bolievers"? A true boliever must do both - reject KL and preach the gospel of Boveda.
    The road to hell is paved with kitty litter... and all who practice such sorcery on their precious humidors shall simmer eternally in the fumes thereof!!!!

Yeah... really don't care on this one, Bob.
    I'm a "belieber!" with the beiber fever! My soul just died a little typing that....
    I have used the packs in my cooler and humi with no problems. I have enough packs where I rotate them out with fresh ones, when they start to get hard or rh drops. The packs are pretty old and all the lettering is worn off the outside from repeated use, but they still seem to hold approx 63%-67% The old ones go in distilled water to recharge & wait for next use about every 3-4 months. Other than that it is fire & forget on my storage containers
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,898
    catfishbluezz:
    Sasquatch:
    Interesting, you soak them? Never heard that before. I do not believe in most recharging methods I have heard. I tried a bunch, none worked. However, for some reason if I leave a dead one in my wineador for 6 months, it comes back strong. If I recharge them in a bag, they last a few days thats it.
    I swesr on my swap out to recharge when they get gritty method
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    I do enjoy Bolivar gold medals on occasion...
    Has anybody tried recharging these things yet. I don't have any to try. Very curious about this.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
    KCW:
    Has anybody tried recharging these things yet. I don't have any to try. Very curious about this.
    Yes you can recharge them. I did it by using a sponge and sealing it inside a ziploc. It doesn't recharge back to 100% and it's only good for another few weeks.
    KCW:
    i have had the same packets for the last 7 months. I have a rotation where i take them out when they get gritty and put them into a really well sealed Tupperware container with a small cup of distilled water for a couple of weeks. Once they are back to being nice and watery i swap them out with another 2 that are getting gritty. It has worked great and I haven't had to buy new ones in months.

Don't wait for them to get hard because i have not been able to bring them back from that.
    brianetz1:
    KCW:
    i have had the same packets for the last 7 months. I have a rotation where i take them out when they get gritty and put them into a really well sealed Tupperware container with a small cup of distilled water for a couple of weeks. Once they are back to being nice and watery i swap them out with another 2 that are getting gritty. It has worked great and I haven't had to buy new ones in months.

Don't wait for them to get hard because i have not been able to bring them back from that.
    I need to start trying this. I've got quite a few 65% and a couple 69% but I've used them a lot this winter to keep some sub par desktops in good shape and for the first time they've really started to give up their moisture. These crappy little desktops are headed for retirement before next winter. I wonder why they are not as long lasting after a re-charge?
    Bob Luken:
    brianetz1:
    KCW:

I need to start trying this. I've got quite a few 65% and a couple 69% but I've used them a lot this winter to keep some sub par desktops in good shape and for the first time they've really started to give up their moisture. These crappy little desktops are headed for retirement before next winter. I wonder why they are not as long lasting after a re-charge?
    dude, mine are long lasting with no issues, they probably go 10-12 weeks without a recharge. I have 14 bovedas that rotate....8 72s in my 200ct, 2 69s in my 50, 2 72s in a two different 25s.

Once they go in there just based on rotating out 2 every 2 or so weeks means that the rotation doesn't come back to them til at least the 15th week.

the only exception to this was when i let one get really dried out. That one barely got revived and it sucked after that so i tossed it. I am pretty sure the key is to not let them get completely dried out
    brianetz1:
    Bob Luken:
    brianetz1:
    KCW:

dude, mine are long lasting with no issues, they probably go 10-12 weeks without a recharge. I have 14 bovedas that rotate....8 72s in my 200ct, 2 69s in my 50, 2 72s in a two different 25s.

Once they go in there just based on rotating out 2 every 2 or so weeks means that the rotation doesn't come back to them til at least the 15th week.

the only exception to this was when i let one get really dried out. That one barely got revived and it sucked after that so i tossed it. I am pretty sure the key is to not let them get completely dried out
    None of them are completely dried out but on some of them just the corners of a few of my packets are getting hard.
    Bob Luken:
    brianetz1:
    Bob Luken:
    brianetz1:
    KCW:

None of them are completely dried out but on some of them just the corners of a few of my packets are getting hard.
    yep, when that happens i kind of massage out the gritty in the corner to the middle as much as I can and leave it in there a week longer. seems to do the trip to me
  • Chuck NChuck N Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 792
    I soak mine too. Put them in a sealed container and place them over a heat register. After they recharge just let them dry off a bit and they are good to go.
    Like Brianetz was saying try not to let them get rock solid before recharging the packs. If you do, it will take longer to recharge.....up to a month or so. No matter what, it is not an overnight and they are recharged deal.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Chuck N:
    I soak mine too. Put them in a sealed container and place them over a heat register. After they recharge just let them dry off a bit and they are good to go.
    huh good too know...I just put them over a container of water in a airtite container seems too work as well
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    I can only give opinions on things I have actual knowledge and experience with and I've had experience with every type of RH media that is out there. It really all comes down to ease of use...how much inventory one has and how reliable it is. I have tested all of them and it comes down to this....KL, Beads and Bovedas. Each is very easy to set up and for me it was the ease of use and to get the exact RH I want...not what comes packaged as what it "will be"....I want some of my cigars to set at a precise percentage and while Boveda can hit the mark...it will fluctuate esp. at the 70% range. Times were that I'd let it sit for a week and then return and see it floating around 72 or 73....with KL when I set it at 70 it might float between 69 and 70....I have to stay with KL in this.
    I think how much you're using matters. I'm using a decent sized container for my KL, and it takes up a fair amount of space. If I threw in 20 boveda packets, I really doubt the RH would move. I do agree, everyone should try multiple methods and decide what works best for them.
    Rain:
    I think how much you're using matters. I'm using a decent sized container for my KL, and it takes up a fair amount of space. If I threw in 20 boveda packets, I really doubt the RH would move. I do agree, everyone should try multiple methods and decide what works best for them.
    damn randy how big is your cooler?! I use 48qt ones and with them full I use 4 bovedas and a small thing of beads
    I meant in my humi I use the container. In the cooler right now I just have boveda.
    brianetz1:
    KCW:

OK. Thaks for that info. Good to know.
    KCW:
    brianetz1:
    KCW:

OK. Thaks for that info. Good to know.
    i have a brick of them I've been using for probably 2yrs now. I just buy more for the different rh
    brianetz1:
    Bob Luken:
    brianetz1:
    Bob Luken:
    brianetz1:
    KCW:

yep, when that happens i kind of massage out the gritty in the corner to the middle as much as I can and leave it in there a week longer. seems to do the trip to me
    I tried soaking one. Put it in some distilled water inside a sandwich sized container. I left it on a shelf and forgot about it. Not sure how long it soaked. May have been a week or two. It's full. Seems to have more liquid inside it now than when new. LOL