Home General Discussion

An Update on Forum Blending

Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
Great News. I talked to the bean counters over here we are going to be able to turn this forum blending concept into a full time, ongoing activity. This first one was a great experiment. Here is how it is going to work. Bear with me as we probably wont get started on the next blend until January but after that we should be able to do about 4 a year.

We are going to band and box the first blend in a size of your choosing. However, the goal for the forum blending project will be to do several every year. I need input from the group though on how you want it to be set up since this is being made just for you guys.

Here is what I was thinking to get us started:

A. Fist order of business decide on a name. While printing bands did not make sense when we did not know if this would be an ongoing thing, printing them up now makes sense since I can just print a bunch and we can use them on all of the blends going into the future. That said, to differentiate each blend we will order these in boxes only and have the main logo done in Cliche on the lid and have the generation number but on it in screen print. For example, if we call the brand Catadores, the first one we make in January will have the Catadores band and be in a box of 20 that has the logo on the lid. Below the logo it would say "First Edition" or "First Generation". The second blend we do in the spring would have the same exact band and same box but say "Second Generation". We will bring in a set number of boxes for each generation and add them to the brands page. When they sell out, they are gone forever. Most likely I will only bring in 100 boxes of each generation until it grows and justifies more buying. Also, the cigars will only be purchasable in boxes as I need to keep them in tact since it will be hard for my warehouse crew to tell them apart once I open boxes since the bands are all the same. That said, boxes will relatively cheap at $89.95 ($4.50 per cigar) for a box of 20. If guys want to do splits etc, that is up to you.

B. For the next round, I will create a special sub section of the forum dedicated to discussing the blend and will create a special part of cigar.com dedicated to the project. Here there will be a a copy of the thread on the current blend (similar to the thread on the daily cigar deal site), an area to vote on the poll for that week: IE: wrapper, body, size, filler, binder, etc. It will also show results from the prior weeks votes so everyone can follow along. The polls and voting areas will be set up much more professionally with check lists etc and I will have my IT team dedicate some time to getting it set up.

C. We will need to limit each blend to just one size.

With that lets discuss what you guys think. Do these terms sound good? Did I miss anything? What about factory? Do you want to stay with just one factory or do we want to move it around each time to different factories? Perhaps that is the first poll each time we start a blend, which factory. Lets start discussing. In the mean time, we really need to finalize the name for this thing and I need an answer of size for the first generation blend so I can get them ordered and in house by Jan 1 which is when I hope we can start working on the Second Generation blend and have the site set up.

Comments

• bibbybibby Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 152
    One word: AWESOME!
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Agreed. This sounds pretty awesome - are you planning on limiting it to 1 box per member though, or anything like that? Cuz I'd love to snag a box, but a lot of the fellas on here I know will probably be more than happy to grab multiple and I don't want to miss out lol...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I like the terms Alex...I don't know that any of us were thinking it would be as often as 4 times per year, but that's probably because we didn't think you'd be onboard with that number. I like the idea of one size only and the simple banding/boxing idea. As far as the factory goes, I think AJ's factory does an excellent job on their cigars, the quality level of this first round was incredible as is the quality level of just about everything coming out of there. My vote right now would be to keep with the same factory.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    This sounds awesome!!! And the price is right too!

This is a great forum!
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I love the idea about moving the factories around but I also agree with what Joe is saying about AJ's factory. Perhaps the factory could change each year and we'll see 4 different blends come out of each factory. Or we could move each time for the first year and then decide which one we like best. As much as I agree about the quality of AJ's work, the concept of a tour of reknowned cigar factories would only add fuel to the average consumer who does not spend 40 hours a week on the message boards!
  • Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 972
    So when do we close the current polls about name and size? If you are kind enough to comment on the double meaning of Catadores - the decision will be simple - its gonna be either Catadores or Comunidad Premio. I will provide you with the EXCEL sheets with all raw data to verify for yourself the votes... As for size it seems Torpedo is the most desired size... Cheers! This is an awesome idea btw! I am sorry my "polls" were not very professional, but I just wanted to quickly help and organize the stuff a bit. I hope it all helps at the end to move the first batch quick enough...
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    I agree with Joe about using AJ's factory for now. Love the box concept as laid out. I think the name Cumunidad Premio is the leading name choice for now. I would like to see a couple blends a year but would 4 blends take away some of the "special of it" ???
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    "I agree with Joe about using AJ's factory for now. Love the box concept as laid out. I think the name Cumunidad Premio is the leading name choice for now. I would like to see a couple blends a year but would 4 blends take away some of the "special of it" ??? "

I think the cap of 100 boxes would still keep it special. I'm fairly new here, but I think this is a great idea and I'm looking forward to it.
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706

How about a secondary foot band saying 1st / 2nd generation/ edition or whatever, If it didn’t add too much to the cost. That way it would be possible to sell non boxed after a few edition. This way more people would be able to buy every edition, as I would imagine most won’t be able to get a box every time but would still like to keep up with things and try them all. Maybe as a 3 or 5 pack, a 3 would be good as you could smoke one age one for a year or two and keep the last one forever sort of thing.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Fantastic! We are all very fortunate to have this opportunity, thanks Alex. This forum blending is the envy of any enthusiast out there, and being able to do it again and again...man, that's just sweet!

I've cast my vote for size and and name for this original blend on Renaissance Man's thread. As for the new process I'd be up for trying a new factory each time and putting that in the mix as well. We could change the size up each time, too, all up for voting. I like sol's idea of a second band that doesn't have to be production quality to so people can get these in quantities less than 20. 4 boxes a year might be hard for some. Looking forward to the next step.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I agree with Joe, the construction on both are excellent...I say stay at AJ and go with Communidad. If I could only pick one size, I'd probably go robusto or toro.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I'd go for a couple boxes. I think 4 blends/year sounds about right with only 100 boxes of each going into production.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    I really don't care about moving factories or keeping them at AJs. He did a great job the first time so keeping them there is fine with me. I do think that 4 blends per year might be a little much though. I think 2 blends a year would be about right. I also think the idea of adding a small second band below the main band would be a great idea because a lot of guys would probably want to try these before buying a whole box and it would allow the sales of singles or 5-packs.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    I agree with adding the foot band. And if only one size/blend is going to be produced, I think we should keep any future blends limited to one wrapper type. Overall though, I am stoked, this is such an awesome site. As far as moving factories, maybe move factories once a year like someone said above, that way there would be four blends a year from a single factory, then next year's four would be from a different factory.
  • betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    alienmisprint:
    I agree with adding the foot band. And if only one size/blend is going to be produced, I think we should keep any future blends limited to one wrapper type. Overall though, I am stoked, this is such an awesome site. As far as moving factories, maybe move factories once a year like someone said above, that way there would be four blends a year from a single factory, then next year's four would be from a different factory.
    Agree with the wrapper type, but would it be at all possible to maybe use them as bundles? Boxes are nice, but 90 bucks for a box is steep for a college like me who relies on the daily deals to get his fix. I'm guessing bundles might cut off at least ten bucks. I just sort of would like to see this kept at a decent price point. Any thoughts? And would moving factories politically create any issues?
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    This is great news. I am still waiting to try my first forum blend but I have liked the idea of them going on and on into the future from the start.

Now this is an even better idea. AWESOME!
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    I like the idea of the second band. I do think that 4 blends a year is too much. I think two would be just about right. This way, there is no rush and age won't be an issue. I guess my biggest question is: are we going to have a run with the current blend and wrappers?
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I'm really excited about the 4 blends a year. This will be a lot of work and lot of brainstorming, but I think it would be wonderful and rewarding to be a part of it.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Would the price change when the factory changes? This is a great idea, i can't wait to try the 1st Gen.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i think i like the idea of the 2 blends a year. 4 is quite a few. if i got a 10 pack of those guys in i would wait 6 weeks to smoke then id have a bout a month and a half before the next blend comes out. 6 months also gives time for many to evaluate the last blend and also gives time for palates to develop more. maybe a summer blend and a winter blend annually.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    alienmisprint:
    Or this could be 2 of your 4 blends per year. Same blend 2 2 different wrappers 1 released in Jan 1 in April etc .
    kuzi16:
    i think i like the idea of the 2 blends a year. 4 is quite a few. if i got a 10 pack of those guys in i would wait 6 weeks to smoke then id have a bout a month and a half before the next blend comes out. 6 months also gives time for many to evaluate the last blend and also gives time for palates to develop more. maybe a summer blend and a winter blend annually.
    Kuzi...were you saying two blends with the wrapper choice between two like this time? Which would be 4 different sticks.
    Or just two different blends with one wrapper choice for each, which would be 2 new creations in a year?

I really enjoyed the knowledge gained just from changing the wrappers of what was the same core.
    BTW I got my Forum Blends in today and enjoyed the Maduro this morning and just finished with the ECSU an hour or so ago.
    I LOVE them both and would pre-order either again if the opportunity comes around again. These things are REALLY GOOD !!!!!
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    kuzi16:
    I'm gonna ride on the coattails of Kuzi's general cigar brilliance and second this idea. A Summer and Winter blend or Spring/Fall etc... would be perfect for me, but I know I'm just one of many.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    betasynn:
    alienmisprint:
    Agree with the wrapper type, but would it be at all possible to maybe use them as bundles? Boxes are nice, but 90 bucks for a box is steep for a college like me who relies on the daily deals to get his fix. I'm guessing bundles might cut off at least ten bucks. I just sort of would like to see this kept at a decent price point. Any thoughts? And would moving factories politically create any issues?
    Hey Beta.. I believe that there will always be someone who will do a box split , I for one would do that too.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 991
    rwheelwright:
    I like the idea of the second band. I do think that 4 blends a year is too much. I think two would be just about right. This way, there is no rush and age won't be an issue. I guess my biggest question is: are we going to have a run with the current blend and wrappers?
    If I understood Alex correctly, he is going to produce the current blend and they will be released for sale around January which will be about the same time we start voting for the next forum blend.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:
    Kuzi...were you saying two blends with the wrapper choice between two like this time? Which would be 4 different sticks.
    Or just two different blends with one wrapper choice for each, which would be 2 new creations in a year?

I really enjoyed the knowledge gained just from changing the wrappers of what was the same core.
    BTW I got my Forum Blends in today and enjoyed the Maduro this morning and just finished with the ECSU an hour or so ago.
    I LOVE them both and would pre-order either again if the opportunity comes around again. These things are REALLY GOOD !!!!!
    im saying 2 total blends a year. start to finish.
    one wrapper, one binder, one filler per blend.

this could also keep the number of samplers up. demand up. and maybe prices down a bit.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 187
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:

this could also keep the number of samplers up. demand up. and maybe prices down a bit.
    I don't know. I like the idea of several blends per year. I understand your point but I probably would not buy a full bodied maduro (just an example of something I might not like so much) and I'm sure some others on here would agree. Although I would like to see something for everybody.
  • bigj51bigj51 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 52
    Foot band - yes
    two blends per year - yes

I also like the idea of keeping the factory for a period of time but moving it later, like 1 factory per year

• 4bob44bob4 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 212
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:

I with kuzi. 2 blends per year one wrapper per time. Maybe to keep us mixing it up (because why else would people change their vote from a previous time) maybe eliminate some of the winning choices for the next blend. i.e. if torpedo wins for Jan 2010 it cannot be the size (not even a voting option) for Summer 2010 blend. We could do it with the "bigger choices" size, wrapper, things like that. I just think it would keep things mixed up and more exciting and force people ot choose things that may not be their "number 1" and force us to try new things. Thoughts?
    4bob4:
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    kuzi16:

I with kuzi. 2 blends per year one wrapper per time. Maybe to keep us mixing it up (because why else would people change their vote from a previous time) maybe eliminate some of the winning choices for the next blend. i.e. if torpedo wins for Jan 2010 it cannot be the size (not even a voting option) for Summer 2010 blend. We could do it with the "bigger choices" size, wrapper, things like that. I just think it would keep things mixed up and more exciting and force people ot choose things that may not be their "number 1" and force us to try new things. Thoughts?
    I understand about the numbers being too overwhelming if we were to do too many blends. As for the NOT allowing choices previously picked to be re-used... this may cause a problem.
    Like making a cake, some of the ingriedients must remain the same even when making two different cakes. If we automatically elliminate certain eliments of the stick we were working on because it may have already been used in another blend we may end up creating a lot of "different" sticks instead of a lot of TASTY sticks.
    While I am all for new things, I think we may need to re-use certain elements even when creating new blends.
    The other thing that occurred to me was that if we limit things too much, you may end up with a blend that only appeals to a relitively small portion of the forum members (and that's OK) that would translate into poor sales for C.COM, and afterall it is a business decision for them.