Home General Discussion

"The Burner" tabletop lighter. Anbody used one of these?

Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
Looks like it would be great for toasting the foot.
Anbody used one of these?

Alec Bradley - The Burner - Table Top Lighter

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    A local B&M has one on their counter to light sticks with. It works. So do matches.
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    beatnic:
    A local B&M has one on their counter to light sticks with. It works. So do matches.
    So, You were not impressed?
  • musicman3musicman3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 622
    I don't see a picture?
    musicman3:
    I don't see a picture?
    Oh? I tried to post a video, or a video link to youtube. Wish it was showing up for you. Works OK on my screen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxikHmqFZCE
    Can you see a video in my last post?
  • musicman3musicman3 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 622
    Bob Luken:
    musicman3:
    I don't see a picture?
    Oh? I tried to post a video, or a video link to youtube. Wish it was showing up for you. Works OK on my screen.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxikHmqFZCE
    I went to this and YouTube says it can't play the video in this format. Must be meaning because I am on a iPhone I'm guessing.
  • CigaryCigary Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 623
    The debate about these types of burners is something that aficionados talk about a lot. The Table Top Lighter is something that looks really cool and works but here is the facts on this type of lighter: These types of lighters like the double and triple flame torches burn at a hotter temperature...around 1500 degrees and up and the problem with them is if you put the cigar in your mouth while you light it with these types of lighters means you are drawing in some very hot flame and that translates to drawing scorched cigar smoke up and through the entire length of the cigar. This is where aficionados tend to wince...the more you draw that burnt/scorched smoke up through the cigar the more you tend to contaminate the cigar. This is where 'soft flame' enthusiasts step forward with their assertion....soft flame is measured at around 900 degrees F..quite a bit less than a torch. The aficionado will let the heat from the flame light their cigar sparing it from the scorching heat of a torch. Some torches can measure well over the 2000 degree mark and if that is touching the end of your cigar you risk scorched tobacco which everybody has tasted at one time or another...not pleasant at all. It's a choice with all of us...torch or flame and I've been a soft flame person for years and can tell a big difference in the quality of my cigars. At times I use a torch to 'touch up' the burn on my cigar but I try not to let the torch flame overpower my cigar.
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,603
    Cigary:
    The debate about these types of burners is something that aficionados talk about a lot. The Table Top Lighter is something that looks really cool and works but here is the facts on this type of lighter: These types of lighters like the double and triple flame torches burn at a hotter temperature...around 1500 degrees and up and the problem with them is if you put the cigar in your mouth while you light it with these types of lighters means you are drawing in some very hot flame and that translates to drawing scorched cigar smoke up and through the entire length of the cigar. This is where aficionados tend to wince...the more you draw that burnt/scorched smoke up through the cigar the more you tend to contaminate the cigar. This is where 'soft flame' enthusiasts step forward with their assertion....soft flame is measured at around 900 degrees F..quite a bit less than a torch. The aficionado will let the heat from the flame light their cigar sparing it from the scorching heat of a torch. Some torches can measure well over the 2000 degree mark and if that is touching the end of your cigar you risk scorched tobacco which everybody has tasted at one time or another...not pleasant at all. It's a choice with all of us...torch or flame and I've been a soft flame person for years and can tell a big difference in the quality of my cigars. At times I use a torch to 'touch up' the burn on my cigar but I try not to let the torch flame overpower my cigar.

Ive learned so much from your posts on all these threads. I only wish i could have as much info on cigars as you do! Many thanks for all your prior posts and all the ones to come Cigary. I tip my hat to you sir!

As for the lighter... i think it looks awesome! knowing my issues that ive had with lighting my cigars i think i would be pretty scared to use it the first couple times. lol im thinking about making the transition over to soft flames any way after getting into pipes recently. Im finding myself getting more lighters than i really need. But primarily its for experimentation to find what works best for me. If i were to get a table top lighter like that i think it would be purely for show and the novelty of the lighter itself. Just another accessory and device to use if i ever felt like it. but i wont deny the snazzy of that lighter. :)
    LiquidChaos66:
    Cigary:

Ive learned so much from your posts on all these threads. I only wish i could have as much info on cigars as you do! Many thanks for all your prior posts and all the ones to come Cigary. I tip my hat to you sir!

As for the lighter... i think it looks awesome! knowing my issues that ive had with lighting my cigars i think i would be pretty scared to use it the first couple times. lol im thinking about making the transition over to soft flames any way after getting into pipes recently. Im finding myself getting more lighters than i really need. But primarily its for experimentation to find what works best for me. If i were to get a table top lighter like that i think it would be purely for show and the novelty of the lighter itself. Just another accessory and device to use if i ever felt like it. but i wont deny the snazzy of that lighter. :)
    Lol,,,,trust me I have at least 20 lighters and they range from table top to soft flame to quadruple torches. I started using soft flames about 4 years ago and trained myself on how to use them effectively without burning the crap out of the end. I remember seeing the "3 match technique" and in that U Tube clip you see how to use the flame to light a cigar in the right way. This isn't to say that you can't do this with a torch..it just requires practice so that you use the 'heat' of the torch to light your cigar. That's hard to do because the invisible part of the torch flame is still very hot. Everything I have learned has come from those good BOTL who took the time to show me how things are and some things I've learned on my own. I'm glad that anything I have to say might be helping others so they don't have to go through the trial/error process that I went through. Thanks for your thoughts and post.
    This particular lighter seems to have a wide mushroom shaped flame similar to a burner on a propane camp stove but smaller. Even though it's big, it's not a jet flame that is concentrated. At least that's what it looks like. Looks to me like it would be easy to toast the foot without scorching. Seems like you could hold the foot off to the side at an angle and use the radiant heat instead of dealing with the hot, concentrated tip of a jet flame.
    Bob Luken:
    This particular lighter seems to have a wide mushroom shaped flame similar to a burner on a propane camp stove but smaller. Even though it's big, it's not a jet flame that is concentrated. At least that's what it looks like. Looks to me like it would be easy to toast the foot without scorching. Seems like you could hold the foot off to the side at an angle and use the radiant heat instead of dealing with the hot, concentrated tip of a jet flame.
    Good explanation of this lighter and how it works....it's more of a "gas type" flame that is adjustable and doesn't take long to work it w/o scorching the end of your cigar. The first time I used it I buried the end of the cigar right in the flame...the next time I just let the heat of the flame light my cigar and it didn't take very long, either. That is the beauty of this one as opposed to using a soft flame where it can take minutes to get the end lit....but we can't fit this beauty into our pocket and take it with is...but at home it's a wonderful thing. I've seen these on auctions for around $25..and worth it.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    I just got one of these for my birthday from a buddy. It works exactly as you suspect. If you hold the cigar off the flame a ways it toasts perfectly. The key in lighting is drawing the flame to the cigar, not holding the cigar in the flame. I've been waiting for this one for a while and am very happy with it.
    Cigary:
    Bob Luken:
    Good explanation of this lighter and how it works....it's more of a "gas type" flame that is adjustable and doesn't take long to work it w/o scorching the end of your cigar. The first time I used it I buried the end of the cigar right in the flame...the next time I just let the heat of the flame light my cigar and it didn't take very long, either. That is the beauty of this one as opposed to using a soft flame where it can take minutes to get the end lit....but we can't fit this beauty into our pocket and take it with is...but at home it's a wonderful thing. I've seen these on auctions for around $25..and worth it.
    If it works well enough I'll put a chain and a belt clip on it! LOL
    ddubridge:
    I just got one of these for my birthday from a buddy. It works exactly as you suspect. If you hold the cigar off the flame a ways it toasts perfectly. The key in lighting is drawing the flame to the cigar, not holding the cigar in the flame. I've been waiting for this one for a while and am very happy with it.
    Cool, cool, cool! I believe that proper toasting really pays off. I'm always careful not to scorch good tobacco. I'm thinking this tool will make that task easier. Thanks for the feedback D. I've orderd one now and I'm gonna give it a try.
    OK. Time for an update. I've had "The Burner" tabletop lighter for a few weeks now and I like it a lot. I turn the flame down as low as I can and toast the foot slowly by holding and rotating it above the flame in just the heat of the flame. It's best if there's no wind as the flame is blown around quite a bit if it's breezy. I really love using this lighter. But I usually pick up a torch lighter if it's windy. Next time the wind is giving me trouble I think I'll just try turning up the flame on "The Burner" and see if I can still toast the foot it if I keep it downwind from a larger flame. We'll see.
  • No_one21No_one21 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,962
    Thanks! I used one my first time at a lounge a few weeks ago and liked it so much I asked for one for my birthday in 2 months. Good to know you guys like it here too and I didn't make a hasty mistake.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Toasting in that fashion is an excellent way to light. I use a simple bic many times the same way. When I use my torch, I toast far away. I actually have a weird lighting ritual I use now that is rather long, but makes for an even burn. I end up blowing on the end as well, and never pull on the cigar while lighting.
    And are y'all toasting before cutting? I've been trying that technique too no matter which lighter I'm using and it sure does seem better. Seems like I'm getting better tasting smoke from the first puff.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,439
    I want one now! Looks sweet, good price too
    Be forewarned. In the daylight hours the flame is HARD to see and it's also EASY to forget to turn off the flame. You could end up wasting a lot of fuel and/or toasting your fingers.
    Bob Luken:
    Be forewarned. In the daylight hours the flame is HARD to see and it's also EASY to forget to turn off the flame. You could end up wasting a lot of fuel and/or toasting your fingers.
    good warning. My torch (and most others I guess) is the same way, but I can see how it'd be easy just to let this thing keep going unil you accidentally singe your arm hair off. Looks too cool though, and ive wanted a tabletop ligher for a while!
  • ddubridgeddubridge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,949
    Gray4lines:
    Bob Luken:
    good warning. My torch (and most others I guess) is the same way, but I can see how it'd be easy just to let this thing keep going unil you accidentally singe your arm hair off. Looks too cool though, and ive wanted a tabletop ligher for a while!
    Very hard to see. When its slightly wind during the day toasting is very hard. Dusk/Night it works awesome. Makes for some killer flame photos also.
  • Unthought_KnownUnthought_Known Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 454
    We had one of these at a local B&M, and it was phenomenal. I loved it, and planned on getting one myself, but since I don't smoke at home it wasn't very useful. Finally moving into a house with a nice patio, and my wife just bought it for my birthday. Can't wait to use it! I really prefer these to a regular torch lighter.
  • FNAFNA Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 55
    "The aficionado will let the heat from the flame light their cigar sparing it from the scorching heat of a torch."

That's opposed to the aficianado who says "yeah, yeah, yeah, get over it, it's a fraking cigar man, you ain't going to hurt it by lighting it up."

FNA:
    "The aficionado will let the heat from the flame light their cigar sparing it from the scorching heat of a torch." That's opposed to the aficianado who says "yeah, yeah, yeah, get over it, it's a fraking cigar man, you ain't going to hurt it by lighting it up."
    I disagree with the second aficionado. You CAN hurt a cigar by lighting it. If you scorch it, it WILL taste bad. Guys that suck the flames from a jet lighter into their cigars will have cigars that suck whether they realize it or not.
    Table tops are nice...ya just have to get used to having a flame that is bigger than lighters so it takes practice. They do hold a ton of butane but I'd rather use my lighter since I am used to it.
    I forgot to mention... I got one and love it!! Takes a little practice, but it's a very cool piece. I also found BH maduro robustos. :Dimage
    Nice pic Gray. Thanks.

One of these days I'll get better at taking video and I'll post a youtube that shows how to toast a stick with "the burner". The guy in the video I posted at the beginning sure looks like he badly scorched his stick with it. LOL
    Bump for Chris.