Home General Discussion

sick and tired of buying lighters

AdcuriumAdcurium Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 170
I have 4 or 5 or 6 lighters that I paid more than a few bucks for, but which don't performe consistently. I just don't have luck with lighters. I try to bleed them, spray them with canned air, etc. and it's always useless. So, I should just suck it up and buy a Xikar and when it is gonzo, I'll send it back under the lifetime warranty. So, I need a Xikar that can fit in my pocket when necessary. Any suggestions/recomendations?

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I have the Xikar Executive. I like and recommend it. Also make sure you're using good butane. I'd read somewhere that crappy butane is the #1 source of lighter problems.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    Adcurium:
    I have 4 or 5 or 6 lighters that I paid more than a few bucks for, but which don't performe consistently. I just don't have luck with lighters. I try to bleed them, spray them with canned air, etc. and it's always useless. So, I should just suck it up and buy a Xikar and when it is gonzo, I'll send it back under the lifetime warranty. So, I need a Xikar that can fit in my pocket when necessary. Any suggestions/recomendations?

You can get 5-6 Ronson Jetlites for the price of a Xikar lighter. They're cheap (<$5) and will not die easily. You should be able to find them at your local Walmart.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    skweekz:
    I have the Xikar Executive. I like and recommend it. Also make sure you're using good butane. I'd read somewhere that crappy butane is the #1 source of lighter problems.

+1 on the butane. That's what I'm dealing with right now.
  • ehehatehehat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,534
    I'm so in the same boat. I have to admit I didnt get the most expensive lighter around but still, it seems like I should be getting better performance. I got Prometheus butane at my B/M which I think isnt some cut rate brand but I'm still lucky to get 3 lights before it....I dont even know, plugs maybe? Pretty frustrating.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    First yes good butane is very important!! Second the compressed air thing will only work with minor clogs...most higher grade lighters have a foam "filter" inside around the nozzles...when pocket lint etc. get in there no amount of blowing will unclog it. Your gonna have to take it apart. 3 if the lighter has good jets but doesn't light consistently it is normally cause by the ignition wire not shorting to a gas nozzle...simply bend it a tad towards the nozzles and you should be good. That's just my .02
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    allsmokedup:
    Adcurium:

You can get 5-6 Ronson Jetlites for the price of a Xikar lighter. They're cheap (

Ronson was one of the first lighters I bought. It worked great for a week or so then just stopped lighting. Didn't matter what I tried. Not knocking them, mind you, they're a great lighter for the money but I had way too many problems with mine. I'm currently fighting with my Firebird that a friend gifted me. I've narrowed it down to crappy butane. I'm ordering some Xikar so maybe that will help.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    What is the best butane to get? I've been having problems with my lighters too.
    scarlin:
    I've used Vector butane. It's supposedly 5x filtered. I've had no problems at all.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    allsmokedup:
    scarlin:
    I've used Vector butane. It's supposedly 5x filtered. I've had no problems at all.
    + 2 Vector butane has been the best fluid I have ever used. I have a Colibri hybrid and the Special opps lighter that was given out at C-fest that I use in windy conditions. both work great have not had an issue with either. Before I started using the vector I was using colibri fluid which I did seem to have more issues with. I highly recommend the hybrid flint lighter. They are very simple and fool proof the only draw back is in windy conditions. I owned a zippo blue and loved it also TSA in Jamaica are using it now to light a different kind of cigar lol.
  • jliujliu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,055
    man, I was JUST about to start this thread. I went through about 5 lighters already. colibri, xikar, etc etc. you name it, I prob went through it. I don't care about having a nice lighter(s) anymore. I want just trusty yeller. olld yelllerrrrrr. come back yellllerrrr. ok anyways. so I'm going to try this wal mart ronson route. i hear it works like a champ and it's cheapola. until then, large matches and cedar spills it is
    jliu:
    man, I was JUST about to start this thread. I went through about 5 lighters already. colibri, xikar, etc etc. you name it, I prob went through it. I don't care about having a nice lighter(s) anymore. I want just trusty yeller. olld yelllerrrrrr. come back yellllerrrr. ok anyways. so I'm going to try this wal mart ronson route. i hear it works like a champ and it's cheapola. until then, large matches and cedar spills it is
    I haven't been able to find them everywhere. If you don't find any at any Wallymarts in your area, let me know. I think my local supercenter has them in stock some of the time.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    jliu:
    I don't care about having a nice lighter(s) anymore. I want just trusty yeller. olld yelllerrrrrr. come back yellllerrrr.
    So, you want a lighter that gives you rabies?

On topic, I have a cheapo-ish Colibri that has worked great for me. Just like everyone has said, splurge on high quality butane.
  • jadeltjadelt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 766
    allsmokedup:
    Adcurium:

You can get 5-6 Ronson Jetlites for the price of a Xikar lighter. They're cheap (
    +1 I have had the same problem... my expensive lighters suck..... I have been using the $4 RonsonJetlite from Walmart for over a year with no problems at all !!! Cant beat em..... if Wally doesnt have them Walgreens does but they are a buck more or so.
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    jadelt:
    allsmokedup:
    Adcurium:

+1 I have had the same problem... my expensive lighters suck..... I have been using the $4 RonsonJetlite from Walmart for over a year with no problems at all !!! Cant beat em..... if Wally doesnt have them Walgreens does but they are a buck more or so.
    Have good lighters and some ronsons 3 to be exact 1! Went bad after a month, but 2 of them had for over year and working great. But for around Wisconsin when i can get for $3.85 at walmart who cares
    allsmokedup:
    jliu:
    I haven't been able to find them everywhere. If you don't find any at any Wallymarts in your area, let me know. I think my local supercenter has them in stock some of the time.
    thank you kind sir! I'm going to check today after work. If I crap out, will definitely let you know! such nice folks on this forum. i heart it
    jthanatos:
    jliu:
    I don't care about having a nice lighter(s) anymore. I want just trusty yeller. olld yelllerrrrrr. come back yellllerrrr.
    So, you want a lighter that gives you rabies?

On topic, I have a cheapo-ish Colibri that has worked great for me. Just like everyone has said, splurge on high quality butane.
    I can so kiss you on the cheeks right now. come here
  • RainRain Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 8,761
    I bought a Xikar Executive that lasted about three days before it died. Then I got a Xikar Tech lighter and have had no issues. Also, Xikar produces butane, I use it and have had no problems.
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    uhhhh... What's wrong with matches? They hand wooden matches out free at any B&M I've been to. Plain old stone age matcheros work fine for me. I do keep a Bic in my camping gear, just in case I get drenched on the way... but for ordinary use, does anyone have trouble with matches? Why not?

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    Check out this site, the second row third one in particular. They are work horses!!! Best U have ever owned!: http://dx.com/c/hobbies-toys-899/lighters-809/gas-lighters-858
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    Almost forgot, shipping is free and you get a discount if you buy 3+. It takes a few weeks but it will get there and you'll be a happy camper. I have some that I used for years without fail. I have also heard great things about the Ronson cheapie lighters at wallmart as well but have not tried them. I can vouch for the other one though, super solid!
  • Duke2Duke2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 393
    I went through a problem with my Xikar. It is a two jet lighter and I use Xikar butane. It stopped being a jet and became a soft flame. On a whim I took a can of Gun Scrubber that I use on my firearms gave the burners a couple of blasts. After letting it dry the lighter is back to being a two burner jet.

This might help those with problems getting their lighters to work.
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Like the month/snoob/roomie/junebug, just stopped at Walmart this afternoon and grabbed 3 Ronson lighters $3.84 each . Let me know if you didn't find!
    MVW67:
    Like the month/snoob/roomie/junebug, just stopped at Walmart this afternoon and grabbed 3 Ronson lighters $3.84 each . Let me know if you didn't find!
    hello/ni hao/konbanwa/bobobogaga. I didn't get a chance to stop by today. Had a work event that ran late so I just came home. how aboot you send me one w/ cigars or something? we can do a trade or i can pay you what they call moola
  • webmostwebmost Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,131
    So, crickets on the matches, huh? Why? If matches and are trouble free and free, while lighters are troublesome and costly, then what's to think about? Me, I'm a minimalist. The least that works works. Occam's razor and all that.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i have had my Xikar EX soft flame for a year and it has never missed a strike.

i still have my first Xikar executive and that lighter took 4 years before it missed its first strike. if i still liked a torch id send it back to replace it but i switched to the soft flame.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,563
    webmost:
    So, crickets on the matches, huh? Why? If matches and are trouble free and free, while lighters are troublesome and costly, then what's to think about? Me, I'm a minimalist. The least that works works. Occam's razor and all that.

I can't speak for others, but I do always carry matches as backup...but prefer the lighter. Why do I prefer the lighter? I can put exactly as much flame, exactly where I want it, for as long as I want it, with one hand, no matter the weather conditions. Also, I have never had trouble with my lighter, so it really is the least that works for me.
  • R.C.R.C. Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 16
    i used to use the ronsons and loved them but the lid spring wears out before the lighter dies; so with the lid spring wearing out lint and stuff from your pocket gets in the jet and then screwing around with that u screw up the igniter. the best are the lighters with the little flap that covers the jet and you have a single action, not a double action. i use a 10$ single action fujima jet (model ?) with KING butane 3x refined. i had been using ronson butane, garbage. king burns hotter, bigger flame at the same spot on the adjuster.
  • raisindotraisindot Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 936
    I thought I was the only one. I have two lighters, which came with cigar purchases. The more expensive looking one is an Alec Bradley four torch--total piece of junk. It will light about 80% inside, and about 10% outside, even in no-wind condition. I'm using Vector "Quintuple filtered" butane. The other lighter is a Cigars International single flame works 90% of the time. I might go looking for those cheapie Ronco lighters.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,228
    Personally I love my vector lighters!! They do have some issues but none I can't fix...I've laundered them several times and they always work!! But honestly I can't seem to go wrong with a bic!! Cheap lasts forever and you won't want to cry when you lose it!!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Wife bought me the Ellipse II from xikar and I've had zero problems since. I've used different butanes, but currently have the xikar brand.