Home General Discussion

Need some corona suggestions.

ndhaon91ndhaon91 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
I've really come to look forward to a morning smoke on the way into work. My commute is 40 minutes, so it's about perfect for a corona. (For awhile, I was in the habit of leaving 20 minutes early just so I could sit and finish a robusto!) Can you guys recommend some sticks that work well in the corona vitola? I don't have a lot of experience with that size, and I know it can change things dramatically, so I don't want to just assume I should go purchase the corona sizes of my favorite smokes. Oh... and I'm probably looking more budget sticks here. $2-$3 range for most, with maybe a foray or two into something pricier. Thanks, Gents!

Comments

• ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    I've recently found that I get a much better flavor profile with smaller vitolas. Check out the cigar.com house blends. I'm a big fan of the Cuban, sungrown, and Cameroon labels. The San Lotano Oval Maduro is a great smoke. The AJ Fresh-rolled are excellent as well, but they need to be smoked relatively soon after you get them but are outstanding after they sit for 6-8 months or even longer. Hope this helps.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Padron all day....do yourself a favor....smoke Padron.

You have to keep an eye out here, but the londres, palma, delicias....all amazing. I personally like the natty, but the maddy does better with age and I have a few of those too. Unfortunately, all I have now is the lancero....which is an amazing traffic smoke. Ccom has amazing pricing on the regular Padron line and yuo have to keep your eye out for them. Jump when you do...
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....
    Duh....another personal favorite! Just had the Little Devil yesteday and dayyyyyyyuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmm.....it's amazing. I love all three, they all rule man... I cuold literally have boxes of each and smoke them with no regard. Noah, you can get the MOWPA pretty cheap too if you ask around and have not bought them before.
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....

^this! Can't believe I didn't mention these. I'm so ashamed...
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....
    Yep! Plus many of the other AJ coronas: Diesel, MOW, MOW Ruination, LHCOF, LHC etc. Also, the 5Vegas Miami pettite corona is awesome. Obsidian pettite corona is good too.

Oh yeah, also a big +1 to the Padron delicias or londres.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,036
    MOWPA, MOWPA-M, Little Devil...and it's hard to go wrong with the AJ Corona Collection sampler.
    Oh, and the 1844-50. Not a Corona, but it's a short smoke with a great flavor profile.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....
    Or just do yourself a favor and get this - CLICK CLICK - 6 AJ coronas to try - and go from there. I've had this sampler myself and liked them all except the LHC Core - I wouldn't say that it was bad, but it just wasn't for me.

Also, FYI this was doubled up and on the DD recently CLICK CLICK - maybe e-mail a rep if you want 2 of each ....
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....
    I assume this means the Puro Authentico and I agree whole heartedly. Shoot Tim an email and I guarantee they come in around your $3 budget. Matter of fact the AJ Corona samplers period were pretty good the diesel IMHO was the only one that didn't work well in corona.

catfishbluezz:
    I must strongly disagree with this. I will admit that outside the the anniversario's I'm not a huge Padron fan. They lack complexity and all too often build up a lot of tar that gets on my lips and tongue, quick way to run an otherwise enjoyable cigar. But taking that aside, padrons are known for being big, thick smoke producers, take it from a veteran of many road stogies two things can diminish a good cigar when your driving.

1. A flaky ash, illusione is an example
    2. Thick, big smoke ... Camacho and Padron. Not all but in general.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Steve2010:
    MOWPA, MOWPA-M, Little Devil...and it's hard to go wrong with the AJ Corona Collection sampler.
    Oh, and the 1844-50. Not a Corona, but it's a short smoke with a great flavor profile.
    +++++ The AJ All Star corona collection is terrific IMO, and the Oval corona is too damn good not to have around (had one last night after grilling some t-bones). The Oliva V #4 and the Tat Vercu are also tops.
    madurofan:
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....
    I assume this means the Puro Authentico and I agree whole heartedly. Shoot Tim an email and I guarantee they come in around your $3 budget. Matter of fact the AJ Corona samplers period were pretty good the diesel IMHO was the only one that didn't work well in corona.

catfishbluezz:
    I must strongly disagree with this. I will admit that outside the the anniversario's I'm not a huge Padron fan. They lack complexity and all too often build up a lot of tar that gets on my lips and tongue, quick way to run an otherwise enjoyable cigar. But taking that aside, padrons are known for being big, thick smoke producers, take it from a veteran of many road stogies two things can diminish a good cigar when your driving.

To me...they have never been a complex cigar, they are consistent at doing one thing well...to each his own. Gotta smoke them slow to keep the tar down, which I am sure you know, but I've never had one tar on me....and I've smoked boxes of them.

Personally, the lack of complexity is what i do not like in the natural anniversary line and waht I do like in the Opus. The natty's are too smooth and too good at that one thing, which is why I prefer the maddy's in the anny and FR stuff. Have you smoked many of the smaller ring gauge Padrons in both natty and maddy? I think the main reason I like them when dirivng...is precisely the fact that I do not have the ability to concentrate on complexity, I am just enjoying a great cigar while driving. The Pantela is the perfect LA traffic cigar.
  • bbass2bbass2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,056
    JDH:
    Steve2010:
    +++++ The AJ All Star corona collection is terrific IMO, and t he Oval corona is too damn good not to have around (had one last night after grilling some t-bones). The Oliva V #4 and the Tat Vercu are also tops.
    Can you still get the Oliva? I've looked and can't find them anywhere.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    Toombes:
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....

You should be Dan.. ;-). But I feel ashamed for leaving the Little Devil off my first post, so I guess we are even.
    CvilleE:
    Toombes:
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....

You should be Dan.. ;-). But I feel ashamed for leaving the Little Devil off my first post, so I guess we are even.

(smacks hand and takes Christmas from you...) I do seem to recall the Little Devil you sent me to be most enjoyable. Sounds like its time to order again...
    Toombes:
    CvilleE:
    Toombes:
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....

(smacks hand and takes Christmas from you...) I do seem to recall the Little Devil you sent me to be most enjoyable. Sounds like its time to order again...
    If you want to box split for trade...let me know.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    Heavy:
    Also, the 5Vegas Miami pettite corona is awesome.
    +1 - especially with 6+ months on them
  • rzamanrzaman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,604
    Cuesta Ray corona centro fino by Fuente. If you buy a whole box, you may end up paying $3-4 per stick. They are great morning smoke.
    ndhaon91:
    I've really come to look forward to a morning smoke on the way into work. My commute is 40 minutes, so it's about perfect for a corona. (For awhile, I was in the habit of leaving 20 minutes early just so I could sit and finish a robusto!) Can you guys recommend some sticks that work well in the corona vitola? I don't have a lot of experience with that size, and I know it can change things dramatically, so I don't want to just assume I should go purchase the corona sizes of my favorite smokes. Oh... and I'm probably looking more budget sticks here. $2-$3 range for most, with maybe a foray or two into something pricier. Thanks, Gents!
    catfishbluezz:
    Toombes:
    CvilleE:
    Toombes:
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....

If you want to box split for trade...let me know.

Gotta save up my milk money first, but we can work something out.
    catfishbluezz:
    madurofan:
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....

catfishbluezz:

To me...they have never been a complex cigar, they are consistent at doing one thing well...to each his own. Gotta smoke them slow to keep the tar down, which I am sure you know, but I've never had one tar on me....and I've smoked boxes of them.

Personally, the lack of complexity is what i do not like in the natural anniversary line and waht I do like in the Opus. The natty's are too smooth and too good at that one thing, which is why I prefer the maddy's in the anny and FR stuff. Have you smoked many of the smaller ring gauge Padrons in both natty and maddy? I think the main reason I like them when dirivng...is precisely the fact that I do not have the ability to concentrate on complexity, I am just enjoying a great cigar while driving. The Pantela is the perfect LA traffic cigar.
    I'm a very slow smoker by nature. Not a kuzi slow. I actually had to run our office about an hour away after my posts today. There was a wine shop down the road with a nice little humidor so I figured I'd grab one for the ride back. There was a Padron 3000 natural sitting there, I figured it was time to revisit. Took me a little over 2 hours to smoke, finished it on the deck after the drive. Tarred up right out of the gate and stained my lips. I almost chucked it, instead I pulled over cut a little more off and wiped down my lips. because I cut the cap off in the second whack it unraveled some but ended up being ok. I'm still not impressed it lacked complexity and I would occasionally get the tar bite on the tip of my tongue. Just not a padron fan. The 26 natural is a good exception to that tho.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,358
    Had this tonight, and enjoyed it immensely. Still a newb so cant speak to the different flavors other than it was really smooth. This cigar was aged over a year at the B&M so I don't know if that helped or hurt. Think I paid 4.50 for it, but seemed like something that would be good for a road trip.image
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    everyone already mentioned the AJ stuff.

so....
    Davidoff 2000. one of my favorite smokes.

for something with a bit more kick try the Joya De Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo Peligroso

• JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    bbass2:
    JDH:
    Steve2010:
    +++++ The AJ All Star corona collection is terrific IMO, and t he Oval corona is too damn good not to have around (had one last night after grilling some t-bones). The Oliva V #4 and the Tat Vercu are also tops.
    Can you still get the Oliva? I've looked and can't find them anywhere.
    My last purchase of the V #4 was from the Beard a couple of months ago. There's also a Brick & Mortar close by that has a few boxes left.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    kuzi16:
    for something with a bit more kick try the Joya De Nicaragua Antano Dark Corojo Peligroso

I smoked my second one of these last weekend, it took me more than 75 min to burn! They burn real slow.
    kuzi16:
    so....
    If I remember correctly I sent you your first two Davidoff's ever. The Winston Churchill and the Davidoff Maddy. Now look at you, nose turned up at the rest of us non-white label smokers. You must be the GM of a restaurant now smoking those things regularly, LOL
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    CvilleE:
    MOW PA....
    ^ Love these so much, can't get enough of them.

AJ fresh rolled are pretty good as well; nothing to blow my mind, but a good little stick when I have 30 min; Punch makes a good little corona called the London Club; not much to speak of, but it's a decent little stick when I don't hvae time for something bigger
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    so....
    If I remember correctly I sent you your first two Davidoff's ever. The Winston Churchill and the Davidoff Maddy. Now look at you, nose turned up at the rest of us non-white label smokers. You must be the GM of a restaurant now smoking those things regularly, LOL
    first Davidoff maduro yes, but the first winston churchill was from someone on the old OLD cigar.com forum back when it was called AmBack (that doesnt even exist anymore)
    i do credit you to helping me find my love of Davidoff. you an the good friend that used to work at and manage the B&M i used to go to.
    my palate was not what it is today when i smoked that first one. i didnt appreciate it as much as i may now. i should get some. those are harder to find for me as of late. i used to see them all the time but my Local B&M went down hill. the owner is killing it. and its too bad too. that place was great.

oh... and im not a GM at all now. im still just a manager. im just way more selective of what i chose to buy. buy less. smoke less. enjoy what i smoke more often.

kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    so....
    first Davidoff maduro yes, but the first winston churchill was from someone on the old OLD cigar.com forum back when it was called AmBack (that doesnt even exist anymore)
    i do credit you to helping me find my love of Davidoff. you an the good friend that used to work at and manage the B&M i used to go to.
    my palate was not what it is today when i smoked that first one. i didnt appreciate it as much as i may now. i should get some. those are harder to find for me as of late. i used to see them all the time but my Local B&M went down hill. the owner is killing it. and its too bad too. that place was great.

oh... and im not a GM at all now. im still just a manager. im just way more selective of what i chose to buy. buy less. smoke less. enjoy what i smoke more often.

I was on the old amback forum for about a month before it switched to this. The Davy Maddy was one of the rare cigars you will hear me say "needs age". Not too much age tho. I smoked the last one that I had from the original box my B&M in Chesapeake got YEARS ago it was so mellow almost Macadoodoo light. It lost the Kelner musk.
    kuzi16:
    im still just a manager.
    Just a manager pssh. Dude owns a dozen or so franchises ...
    Maduro, I had to fire up a Padron panetela today. I know to each his own when it comes to flavor profiles, but I was really curious about the tar issue you claim. It also sounds like you smoke slow if a 3000 lasted 2 hours...and that is almost kuzi slow lol. I normally buy the 46 gauge and under Padron naturals and have actually never had the larger gauges other than a 7000. I am wondering if the tarring is a gauge issue hoenstly. I smoked it fast today and had no heat or tar, which has always been my experience with them. Weird...

It did taste like cinnamon toast crunch...and I love them. Maybe it's the wrapper in this case shining through...but now you have me curious to try a 3000.

Cheers
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Not sure if this is actually a Corona 'cause it has a ring of 46 but for a pricier stick, one of my absolute favorites is an Anejo #46 (5.6 X 46)