Home General Discussion

cigar lounge etiqueitte

SoddyDenizenSoddyDenizen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 19
Most of my smoking so far has been a solitary endeavor. Except for the occasional stick with my son or a friend I usually enjoy a smoke on my deck in the evening. So on a recent trip downtown I noticed a "cigar lounge" that I think is a pretty new place. I did not have the time to stop in but I am going to take a trip down there within the next couple of weeks. Of course I will buy a smoke (maybe more) there but I am unsure of proper etiquette. I know the proper way to light up and I have learned to relax and enjoy slowly. My concern is when am I finished? By myself if I have a nice cigar I really like I will take it down to where I can barely hold on to the thing. I am all burnt fingertips and lips, probably pretty vulgar. When is the proper time to finish, if there is one, and how do I finish. I usually just put it down and let it go out on it's own. Not sure if this is a pointless question but I don't want to go in there and be the focal point of raised eyebrows. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    My experience has been to just be yourself. You're there to relax and have a good time. Everyone has their own style, so no one can really tell you that you're doing it wrong. Look at my post in the "I smoked a good cigar from..." thread. I smoked a Padilla Limitada down to nearly nothing and used a pair of Chanel-Lock pliers as a nub holder. If your techniques seem offensive to someone else, then they can look the other way.
    As for finishing, when my stick gets too hot or too tarry I just put it down and let it go out on it's own.
    Most establishments will let you bring your own stick(s), but the general rule of thumb is to buy at least one from their stock. They have to have some form of revenue to keep the doors open. If you're still unsure, just ask what the house rules are. Every owner I've spoken with has been more than happy to give me a gentle nudge in the right direction.
    Hope my aimless ramblings have been of some help.
  • SoddyDenizenSoddyDenizen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 19
    Thanks for the quick response! It just seems like common sense to purchase from the proprietor of the establishment. I guess it seems just like having a couple beers and casual conversation in a bar. I am looking forward to heading down there, it is on the lower Broadway area, the tourist area of downtown Nashville. Did not get the name at the time. Channel locks eh? I may try vice grips so I don't have to keep a tight grip on the handles! Thanks again!
    No problem, brother. If you ever make your way North, hit me up and we'll make our way to Jake's in Nicholasville. Super cool place!
    thanks a million, I may do that. I want to get to the bluegrass festival in Harrodsburg in August.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Just follow this perfect example, and you'll have no problems:

NWS... But pretty funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeaMU9gXpg4
  • bigfnstevebigfnsteve Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,290
    Damn... that's hilarious
    docbp87:
    Just follow this perfect example, and you'll have no problems:

NWS... But pretty funny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeaMU9gXpg4

Fricking hilarious!!!!
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Just leave your pants on and you should be good to go, unless your B&M encourages that kind of thing. In which case, even better.
    docbp87, nice vid. I now feel I can walk in with full confidence and proper behavior! Thanks!
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Don't slobber all over the end of your cigar before cutting it if you're using the community cutter! Other than that and the pants thing mentioned above, you should be good to go!

Oh yeah, if you start talking about internet-only available sticks and the great deals you can get online, be prepared for a backlash of negativity from the B&M people, which is actually understandable in my opinion, so I just don't go there.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Toombes:
    My experience has been to just be yourself. You're there to relax and have a good time. Everyone has their own style, so no one can really tell you that you're doing it wrong.

+1 to that. I love the line that DSWarmack used a while back . . . . make your own normal. Cigars are about relaxing, man, do it the way that works for you.
    Toombes:
    Most establishments will let you bring your own stick(s), but the general rule of thumb is to buy at least one from their stock. They have to have some form of revenue to keep the doors open. If you're still unsure, just ask what the house rules are. Every owner I've spoken with has been more than happy to give me a gentle nudge in the right direction.
    Also wanted to comment on this point here. Every B&M near me has slightly different rules (no rules at all, minumum purchase, not allowed at all or cutting fee) on this so I definitely recomend buying what your going to buy, and then ask the person at the counter, what the house rules are on smoking your own. Most are very happy that your asking and like toombes said they will give you a gentle nudge in the right direction.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    One other thing to keep in mind - it is usually considered good form to purchase a cigar at the establishment if you're going to use their smoking lounge. Smoke as many cigars as you wish (even those you may bring in with you), but it generally gives owners a warm fuzzy if you're a buying customer instead of Joe Schmoe who is walking in off the street just to use their lounge.

Also - remember, the people who work there are cigar lovers just like you are! Strike up a conversation, find out what they like, let em know what you like and maybe even ask for a recommendation based on that. One of the local B&M owners here in KC & I were talking during one of my visits, and somehow I had had a 601 La Bomba when it was first released - he had not, nor did he have any on his shelves. The next day I stopped in with to give to him & his right hand man and asked nothing in return. Now, every time I go in there the guy is either giving me cigars to try out or cutting me ridiculous discounts on anything I buy from him!

Said all that to say this - the cigar community is a tight knit and friendly one, be it online of off. Dont fear it, embrace it! Thats what the Brotherhood of the Leaf is all about. :-D

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    look at it this way... would you walk into a bar with your own beer?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    kuzi16:
    What's on tap? If all a bar had to offer was Bud/Miller/Coors and I could walk in with my own... Not really your point I know, and I agree with what you're saying. Supporting the business is fundamental if you want a place to enjoy your cigar and hang out with friends who enjoy cigars.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    What's on tap? If all a bar had to offer was Bud/Miller/Coors and I could walk in with my own... Not really your point I know, and I agree with what you're saying. Supporting the business is fundamental if you want a place to enjoy your cigar and hang out with friends who enjoy cigars.

What ? JOE , JOE , JOE ... no love for the MGD crowd !?!?!? I hope Lassie doesn't hear about this !!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    Would you go to a bar that only sold Bud/miller/coors lite?
    would you go to a B&M that only sold Macanudo?
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:
    Would you go to a bar that only sold Bud/miller/coors lite?
    would you go to a B&M that only sold Macanudo?
    Good point.
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:

What ? JOE , JOE , JOE ... no love for the MGD crowd !?!?!? I hope Lassie doesn't hear about this !!!
    Haha, not quite Gene. I actually like Miller lite at times and MGD is fine by me. I'm not a full-on beer Snob...but I won't touch anything Budweiser, and that is my line in the sand.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:
    kuzi16:

Haha, not quite Gene. I actually like Miller lite at times and MGD is fine by me. I'm not a full-on beer Snob...but I won't touch anything Budweiser, and that is my line in the sand.

I have to agree with you there , no bud for me either , yuk !!!
  • Churchill83Churchill83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 80
    If anybody is in the Spokane, WA area there is a great cigar lounge "Legends Of Fire." I'll meet ya there and enjoy a stick with ya.
  • jailhousejailhouse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 137
    budweiser is my favorite beer there not called the king of beers for nothing
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,077
    jailhouse:
    I used to hate bud, then I moved near one of their breweries. Don't know if they still do it but they used to give 2 free beers on the brewery tour. After about 200 free beers it became my favorite. I have noticed a difference between breweries. When I moved to a different part of the country the beer doesn't taste quite as good to me.
  • jailhousejailhouse Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 137
    Roberto99:
    jailhouse:
    I used to hate bud, then I moved near one of their breweries. Don't know if they still do it but they used to give 2 free beers on the brewery tour. After about 200 free beers it became my favorite. I have noticed a difference between breweries. When I moved to a different part of the country the beer doesn't taste quite as good to me.
    around here it comes straight from the head brewerie in st.louis
    jailhouse:
    Budweiser is the king of headache makers for me. One can/bottle/draft gives me a pounder within 20 minutes.
    Thought I would resurrect this thread since I finally made to the cigar lounge in downtown Nashville. It's only been open about 4 months and it's on the second floor of one of the old brick buildings on lower Broadway right in the heart of all of the tourist shops and bars. They have a long wooden bar with a few beers and a limited amount of liquer. They have a selection of cigars on a menu and a humidor behind the bar. I went in around 2 on Saturday and there were about 6 people in the smoking area. I bought a Cohiba pequeno and got a seat by the window to watch all of the tourists and party folks down on the street. My first Cohiba, a very nice smooth smoke, great flavor and the pequeno was just the right size for the amount of time I had. Great experience, talked to a couple of folks visiting from Ohio and chatted with the bartender. Just had a great time, will definitely go back. My apprehensions were unfounded, I smoked that thing to the finger burning nib and enjoyed every bit. Thanks for easing my fears on the forum!
  • djminstermandjminsterman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5
    Sounds like a good time. I sure wish we had a place like that around here.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    SoddyDenizen:
    Thought I would resurrect this thread since I finally made to the cigar lounge in downtown Nashville. It's only been open about 4 months and it's on the second floor of one of the old brick buildings on lower Broadway right in the heart of all of the tourist shops and bars. They have a long wooden bar with a few beers and a limited amount of liquer. They have a selection of cigars on a menu and a humidor behind the bar. I went in around 2 on Saturday and there were about 6 people in the smoking area. I bought a Cohiba pequeno and got a seat by the window to watch all of the tourists and party folks down on the street. My first Cohiba, a very nice smooth smoke, great flavor and the pequeno was just the right size for the amount of time I had. Great experience, talked to a couple of folks visiting from Ohio and chatted with the bartender. Just had a great time, will definitely go back. My apprehensions were unfounded, I smoked that thing to the finger burning nib and enjoyed every bit. Thanks for easing my fears on the forum!
    Sound great!

This is very much belated, but one thing I was told when learning about cigars, was that if you're just chilling in a cigar bar, or with friends, smoke it down as much as you want; if you're at a formal function, I was always told to put the cigar down once you get to three fingers (three fingers from the nub to the ash), and like others said, if you smash it out, it emits a foul smell, so just lay it down and let it go out on its own
  • VisionVision Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,701
    I was always told to smoke in naked ... "Bands OFF"
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    when is it the right time to put down your cigar? When you're done with it. Just set it down and let it go out. You never want to smash it in the ash tray like a cigarette. This will release horrible smells. Also, I usually buy a stick or two, just to help out my local B&M.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I was at a lounge recently that had these neat little pins for sale you just stuck it in the nub and it had a little handle on it. The owner was using one so he could smoke to the nub without burning his fingers. I usually smoke till it starts to get bitter or I just can't hold it anymore then just lay it down in the ashtray. Other than not making a mess just enjoy the expierence and make friends. And don't throw the F bomb around that's usually frowned on depending on the group.