Home General Discussion

FOrum Blend Phase 2 - Wrapper Discussion

13»

Comments

• LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    Not that we're voting but I can't remember being disappointed by any Ecuadorian Sumatra and I also really dig pa broadleaf (being a Pennsylvanian and all). I dont see any reason to steer away from these just cause lots of cigars have utilized these wrappers in recent years. If it aint broke... Esteli sun grown sounds like it has possibilities too.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    dennisking:
    Esteli Habano Sun Grown viso gets my vote.
    I want to see this....!
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I'm surprised there aren't more people going for the Habano Copan Honduras. That would get my vote. Lots of flavor and we would get the body up to where we want it. Using the right binder and filler that wrapper in a Viso would burn great and really make an incredible, complex cigar.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    CvilleE:
    dennisking:
    I want to see this....!
    Would this be close to a Ashton VSG'ish flavor profile?
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 771
    Sun grown wrapper would be nice.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    firetruckguy:
    CvilleE:
    dennisking:
    I want to see this....!
    I would think this is a close comparison in my novice opinion, only with a milder filler that the forum has selected...interesting...
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Esteli Sungrown sounds perfect to me
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    firetruckguy:
    CvilleE:
    dennisking:
    I want to see this....!
    Not that I've ever had the Esteli, but I'd imagine yes but add more of the damp rich earth and the citrus notes that always go with the Nicaraguan harvests... All in all VSG on steroids, my kinda gar ;)
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Using Cameroon as a binder with a San Andres Maduro wrapper sounds awesome... For example, I know some of you have smoked and enjoyed ChiefHava's CroMagnon cigars. Those use a Cameroon binder under a Connecticut Broadleaf maduro wrapper to great success. San Andres would be pretty different, BUT I think it would be delicious, with that Cameroon binder.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    docbp87:
    Using Cameroon as a binder with a San Andres Maduro wrapper sounds awesome... For example, I know some of you have smoked and enjoyed ChiefHava's CroMagnon cigars. Those use a Cameroon binder under a Connecticut Broadleaf maduro wrapper to great success. San Andres would be pretty different, BUT I think it would be delicious, with that Cameroon binder.
    I'm with you on the Cameroon Doc. You think a bribe to Alex would work?
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    What we really need to get our hands on is some of that 30+ year old Cameroon he has been tasting and working with...
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    docbp87:
    The Gurkha Legend also uses a cameroon binder and Connecticut broadleaf maduro wrapper if I am not mistaken!
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 476
    wwhwang:
    I would have to agree that ecuadorian habano and PA maduro seem to be overused in a lot of recent blends. Would a sumatran wrapper with an ecuadorian connie binder work (or vice versa)? I would imagine that the earthy cream and slight spice from the sumatra would work well with the creamy and woody connie. I have no idea how it would actually turn out in reality though.
    This sounds good to me!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    docbp87:
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    What we really need to get our hands on is some of that 30+ year old Cameroon he has been tasting and working with...
    yes please. I'm not a huge cammy fan but aged cameroon is awesome
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    bigharpoon:
    I'm surprised there aren't more people going for the Habano Copan Honduras. That would get my vote. Lots of flavor and we would get the body up to where we want it. Using the right binder and filler that wrapper in a Viso would burn great and really make an incredible, complex cigar.
    i agree with this. i could see a habano brazilian binder doing well in this. get a good mix of nicaraguan and honduran fillers and that could be stellar.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    kuzi16:
    bigharpoon:
    i agree with this. i could see a habano brazilian binder doing well in this. get a good mix of nicaraguan and honduran fillers and that could be stellar.
    Mmmmmmm Nicaraguan. Mmmmmm Honduran.
  • Un_SubUn_Sub Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 210
    I may be the newb here, but I am going to impart my professional Blender experience upon you......ummmm...YOU guys decide!!!!Lol I wish I understood half of what is being discussed here, and had been smoking stogies long enough to know these profiles so I could put in my .02 worth. This is very Cool though!!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Un_Sub:
    I may be the newb here, but I am going to impart my professional Blender experience upon you......ummmm...YOU guys decide!!!!Lol I wish I understood half of what is being discussed here, and had been smoking stogies long enough to know these profiles so I could put in my .02 worth. This is very Cool though!!!
    read my blending 101 thread in my signature line. there is info on every page. itll take a bit of time but its a fun read.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    Interesting, maybe you guys are on to something here. Maybe using longfiller leaf from both Nicaragua and Honduras with this wrapper/ binder combo?
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    JDH:
    beatnic:
    docbp87:
    Interesting, maybe you guys are on to something here. Maybe using longfiller leaf from both Nicaragua and Honduras with this wrapper/ binder combo?
    I hope that AJ will give a final thumbs up or thumbs down on our selections. There seems to be a movement to make a really different cigar this time out.

Not sure it will appeal to as wide a group of BOTL if it get's too different. There is something to be said for working with what you know and not just throwing ingredients into a bowl to see what you whip up.

That is NOT a comment on this particular pairing... just on the way the discussions and pairing options are being discussed.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,454
    I'd definitely be in for Cameroon, but if that's not an option, I'd go with either Habano Ecuador (ligero) or Jalapa Habano (ligero).
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346