Home General Discussion

FOrum Blend Phase 2 - Wrapper Discussion

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    I love me some cameroon wrapped cigars...

BUT

I think to find a more widely enjoyed, but still very interesting wrapper, I have to vote for the Sumatra Ligero. If not that, I would have to go with San Andreas Maduro, because that is a wrapper that I have really come to love.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I'm at that point where I'll smoke anything with Brazillian Mata Fina. I personally think the little bit of sweetness to it complements the spice; you kinda get the best of both worlds.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I love PA wrappers as I have professed so many times before,
    but I agree we should look outside the box and come up with something truly unique, the Esteli Sungrown sounds really good. Thanks Alex we all appreciate this opportunity.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I'm kinda liking the Sumatra Ligero or the San Andreas Maduro.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    docbp87:
    Cameroon. Too many cigars on the market already with Habano Ecuador. Every third cigar out there has a Habano Ecuador wrapper now. Booooorrrriiiinnnnnggggg.
    Agreed Cameroon would mix it up.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    remember that a cameroon can also be used as a binder. if used with a stronger wrapper like many of you are looking for it may give a sweeter note to that spicy/strong wrapper, especially if you use a priming that will stand up to it like a Viso and not a seco or volado.

• BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    kuzi16:
    remember that a cameroon can also be used as a binder. if used with a stronger wrapper like many of you are looking for it may give a sweeter note to that spicy/strong wrapper, especially if you use a priming that will stand up to it like a Viso and not a seco or volado.

Like a Sumatra ligero wrapper with a Cameroon viso binder?

sounds like money in the bank to me!
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I would have to say I would pick Sumatra Ecuador (Viso or Ligero). I've found that most sticks I've had with this type of wrapper have been enjoyable. (Bare in mind, I'm a total novice at this blending thing.)
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Cameroon sounds nice.
  • ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    I would have to agree with the Habano being on every third cigar and closely behind would be the PA broadleaf. Every sampler seems to have it and every line has come out with one since the Diesel. I gotta go with my love on this one, Sumatra
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    I'm surprised that so many people are choosing cameroon just because it doesn't seem like that many people around here smoke them (I don't see cameroons mentioned much on the 'what are you smoking tonight/morning/afternoon' threads or in Cigars 101, other than the LFD cameroon cabinet mabye).

Now I like cameroons alright (had one last night), but I'd like to see a maduro - PA Broadleaf, San Andreas, Arapiraca or Mata Fina. I think we could do a lot of cool things to compliment and balance out a nice maddie wrapper.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    I just want more of the original Forum Blend Natural with the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. Like, 5 boxes worth lol.

The Ec Sumatra just has that great classic cigar taste but it blends so incredibly well with just about anything you roll up with it.

Failing that, I could go with a CT Broadleaf Maduro-wrapped cigar with a similar flavor profile to the oft-underrepresented Onyx Reserve.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I would have to agree that ecuadorian habano and PA maduro seem to be overused in a lot of recent blends. Would a sumatran wrapper with an ecuadorian connie binder work (or vice versa)? I would imagine that the earthy cream and slight spice from the sumatra would work well with the creamy and woody connie. I have no idea how it would actually turn out in reality though.
  • jgibvjgibv Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,996
    KCW:
    I would have to say I would pick Sumatra Ecuador (Viso or Ligero). I've found that most sticks I've had with this type of wrapper have been enjoyable. (Bare in mind, I'm a total novice at this blending thing.)
    I'm with you on that. I've enjoyed every Sumatran-wrapped cigar that I've smoked and have not yet had one that I disliked.
    I think the Sumatran wrapper would be a great starting point since it's complex & has a nice variety of flavors but it's not too powerful in any single direction.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    Habano Ecuador. I love the Oliva V wrapper. Seem to have little or no burn issues as well.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    wwhwang:
    I would have to agree that ecuadorian habano and PA maduro seem to be overused in a lot of recent blends. Would a sumatran wrapper with an ecuadorian connie binder work (or vice versa)? I would imagine that the earthy cream and slight spice from the sumatra would work well with the creamy and woody connie. I have no idea how it would actually turn out in reality though.
    Ooh, now that sounds interesting. I'd love to hear some of our blending experts chime in on the feasiblity of that.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Heavy:
    wwhwang:
    Ooh, now that sounds interesting. I'd love to hear some of our blending experts chime in on the feasiblity of that.
    given the med-full bodied intention made by the forum it would be difficult to get teh flavors you want out of it. the filler would have to give it more body and then it would overpower some of the flavors you want with the combo you suggested. if you are willing to lose body then it isnt a problem at all.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,471
    I would go with the Ec Sumatra or San Andreas Maduro
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    We could always go Maduro-Maduro-Maduro to take down that Camacho triple maduro that sits so high. Heck if we do go all maduro I promise to buy 3 boxes! San Andreas Maddy for life.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    Well, my choices would be : Habano Brazil ligero, Habano Ecuador ligero, San Andres maduro,especially if you're building a med bodied cigar. I've often wondered what the Ave Maria (almost the perfect med bodied flavor I've run across) would be like if it were wrapped in the same leaf as the Oliva V.

Unfortunately, I would bet that all of these may present an avaliability problem. I love the San Lotano Habano (Habano Brazil), but it's also very rare, & that's probably going to make it pretty expensive, but it's probably the best wrapper I've come across in a very long time. If avaliability is not a problem, I'd say start with this wrapper and proceed from there.

The Habano Ecuador ligero would be my second choice if this is the same wrapper on the Oliva V. I love it like some people love expensive bittersweet dark chocolate; I just want more.

The San Andreas or Conneticut broadleaf maduro would be my third and fourth choices, because, well because they're just terrific on nearly every cigar I've ever had with these wrappers.

I would hope a cameroon is not chosen, because I just am not a fan. In fact, I will avoid the cameroon at all costs.
    What wrapper is used on the Oval?
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    JDH:
    That's the Havana 2000. I'm usually not a fan of that wrapper, but AJ somehow pulled it off.
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    Esteli Sungrown sounds like a cool wrapper since it isn't used that way. Also into the Brazillian Habano or the Ecuadorian Sumatra.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    kuzi16:

How do you think this carmeroon binder idea would work with San Andreas Maduro?
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    BigT06:
    kuzi16:

Like a Sumatra ligero wrapper with a Cameroon viso binder?

sounds like money in the bank to me!
    Yes . . . So Glad that the sumatra train is picking up some steam. I'm sure the belnd will be good regardless of what direction we go in here, but sumatras are such an underrated wrapper. Such a rich hearty tobacco flavor that doesn't overload you with one specific flavor. I'm biased though as Sumatras are probably my favorite wrapper.
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:

How do you think this carmeroon binder idea would work with San Andreas Maduro?
    Hummmmmmmmmmm, that sounds interesting. If it was a candy bar, it'd be butterscotch covered with dark chocolate.
    wwhwang:
    JDH:
    That's the Havana 2000. I'm usually not a fan of that wrapper, but AJ somehow pulled it off.
    Thanks! I think I knew that.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Just my 2 cents, but I feel that the PA Broadleaf Maddie would compliment a medium to medium-full filler and binder due to the strong but smooth leather, hickory, and bittersweet dark chocolate that I always pick up in this leaf. I know I'm a little behind on the curve for this discussion, but depending on the vitola specifically, this wrapper could really shine and compliment the strong profile of the binder and filler. A smaller vitola such as the corona (a personal fav of mine) or even a toro would bring a superb balance to this blend. I am unaware if this would even be an option, but a stalk cut PA Broadleaf Maddie would truly make this something special in my mind seeing as how it would have an even bolder element to it due to this curing process. I'm hesitant to say the other option due to the extremely limited supply which would no doubt increase the price but also the availability of this forum blend, but the Esteli Sun Grown would certainly be a fantastic option as well. Nicaraguan leaf is still my favorite to this day, and Esteli leaf more so than any other growing region. I always pick up a dark and rich earth tone that has a rich and hearty spice to it and always seems to have a citric sour aftertaste to it (think many DPG blends and MF as examples also Padron) that is unique for my taste bud's POV to the Nicaraguan area. This would add a wonderful complexity on top of what will already be hearty but refined by using a Sun Grown wrapper. The oily leather, citric sour notes, and rich damp earth would truly shine with a binder and filler that is in the medium to medium plus format and may even be reminiscent of a MoW blend due to the leaf and body used. For me that would satisfy a very large range of forum members and still be something that is teuly unique and a real pride of the forum members incolved and Ccom itself! Once again however it will be most obvious depending on said vitola. Either way this is a fantastic opportunity and respect Alex, thank you for going outside the box and asking for our thoughts on the matter!!
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    hmm, the esteli sun grown habano sounds interesting!
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    either the esteli sun grown or a nice PA maduro or for the wrapper. I am not a fan of the San Andreas stuff... every one ive EVER smoked has just tasted dull or had tons of ammonia waiting for me halfway through...