Home General Discussion

Some Make it Worse for Others

RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
I see a lot has changed since I got here. I like to think some of the change was good. But let some of you say it, It's not. I also like to think that I was part of a new wave of fun that was good. I went against the grain. Bombing people after getting to know them with dogrockets, HTF, expensive quality cigars. It didn't matter, it was all for the fun for me. But also, giving some of the guys a chance to smoke something they probably wouldn't get for whatever reason. But they still would want to try it. I've been burned in the forum twice. Yet, I still pressed on by being a giving person. I wasn't trying to become everyone's friend. I just wanted to be that person to shine a little light when your having a rough day or come across a rough patch of time. It's a few other guys in here that think the same way as I and we talk about. It's basically something that makes us feel good. For some, it's like giving back. I don't think anyone can take that away from a person. As of right now, I know I won't hit my 3000 mark anytime soon. Why, all this bickering back and forth. People challenging others in the forum. If you notice, I rarely get into a pissing match with anyone. Yet, people throw little comments around all the time. Most of the time I laugh, really I do and ignore them. But even with saying that, enough is enough for me. When I first introduced myself, some of you welcomed me right on in as if we were family from the beginning. And that right there was what catapulted my decision to do some of the things that I have done. I'm not saying I'm leaving this place that got me started. But I am going to take a back seat to all the hoopra that's going on. This is my little frustration, you can take it for what it's worth. I know some will have there little comments because they always do. Just the same, I will laugh and ignore it. It's been fun for the most part. I will keep in touch with the guys and gals that's not into all the mess. Gaberox I still owe you and that's because I told you I would.....

Comments

• MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    RCY Cigars:
    I see a lot has changed since I got here. I like to think some of the change was good. But let some of you say it, It's not. I also like to think that I was part of a new wave of fun that was good. I went against the grain. Bombing people after getting to know them with dogrockets, HTF, expensive quality cigars. It didn't matter, it was all for the fun for me. But also, giving some of the guys a chance to smoke something they probably wouldn't get for whatever reason. But they still would want to try it. I've been burned in the forum twice. Yet, I still pressed on by being a giving person. I wasn't trying to become everyone's friend. I just wanted to be that person to shine a little light when your having a rough day or come across a rough patch of time. It's a few other guys in here that think the same way as I and we talk about. It's basically something that makes us feel good. For some, it's like giving back. I don't think anyone can take that away from a person. As of right now, I know I won't hit my 3000 mark anytime soon. Why, all this bickering back and forth. People challenging others in the forum. If you notice, I rarely get into a pissing match with anyone. Yet, people throw little comments around all the time. Most of the time I laugh, really I do and ignore them. But even with saying that, enough is enough for me. When I first introduced myself, some of you welcomed me right on in as if we were family from the beginning. And that right there was what catapulted my decision to do some of the things that I have done. I'm not saying I'm leaving this place that got me started. But I am going to take a back seat to all the hoopra that's going on. This is my little frustration, you can take it for what it's worth. I know some will have there little comments because they always do. Just the same, I will laugh and ignore it. It's been fun for the most part. I will keep in touch with the guys and gals that's not into all the mess. Gaberox I still owe you and that's because I told you I would.....

I feel ya brother

• james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    Wow, sorry to see this Sir. I still owe you and will get a nice package out to you once my next shipment comes in. Hate to see you leave and hope you stick around.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    RCY Cigars:

<3 Rick, LOL
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    RCY Cigars:

I understand your point Rick. In this most recent mess, the main participants were discussing the issues and had basically come to a conclusion.
    As you stated, all the personal comments that poured in after the fact is what caused this to continue.
    Having something to add to a discussion is one thing. The tendancy is sometimes to "pile on" when an incidence like this takes place. We are all responsible for what we say as well as what we do around these forums.
    Rick, I respect your position on this as well as many things you have said around here. My concern is, that if the BOTL like yourself take a back seat and keep their thoughts to themselves, then the forum as a whole suffers. If the only voices to be heard around here will be the loudest, or most controversial, then I think we will eventually all lose this place. It is because of the voice of reason, which comes from many different sources on here that this place is for the most part a great place to hang. If we allow those voices to disappear... then this place really will become like so many other places out there that we don't spend any time at.
    Perhaps we all need to read what we are about to post before hitting that post button. I am not trying to stiffle anyone's free speech, but if you are free to say what you like, to an empty room (forum) what difference does it make?
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Wow! Did I miss something?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    First, I just want to say it has been great having you around Rick, you've been a stand-up citizen. As for the other part...sometimes it happens on forums that you get people who don't know how to behave and the make a stressful environment for others who just want to hang out and talk about their common interest. To the best of my ability, and I've failed at times, I try and treat the forum experience as though I were talking to people face to face, and to me that means showing the respect I would hope would be returned to me...I think that's a good approach, but not everyone sees it the same way, it is the internet after all and you can pretty much say what you want with no repercussion.

So anyway, I hope you stick around, because I really feel you've been a positive influence on the forums.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    j0z3r:
    So anyway, I hope you stick around, because I really feel you've been a positive influence on the forums.
    +1

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Forums are a better place with you in them, Rick.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    boydmcgowan:
    j0z3r:
    +1

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Forums are a better place with you in them, Rick.
    Yep, +1,000,000. I've seen little tensions flare up from time to time, but things usually settle down and everything gets back to normal i.e. a bunch of generous, caring BOTLs interacting with each other. I understand taking a step back sometimes, esp if things start getting personal. Just don't go too far brother...you embody all of the good things about this place. You can always stay active on the forums without being heavily involved with trades/passes/bombs since that's where most of the issues seem to arise.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    j0z3r:
    First, I just want to say it has been great having you around Rick, you've been a stand-up citizen. As for the other part...sometimes it happens on forums that you get people who don't know how to behave and the make a stressful environment for others who just want to hang out and talk about their common interest. To the best of my ability, and I've failed at times, I try and treat the forum experience as though I were talking to people face to face, and to me that means showing the respect I would hope would be returned to me...I think that's a good approach, but not everyone sees it the same way, it is the internet after all and you can pretty much say what you want with no repercussion.

Well Said!!!!
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I wish this didn't include something that I'm a part of and because it does, it bums me out. I love having you here Rick. I love the sweetass huge beer glass you sent me. I love your giving heart. I will miss not having you around. Rest assured though, this place seeps in to the bloodstream and you can never actually leave.
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    Wow. I really must have missed something. I know I've been busy lately, but damn. I really hope you would reconsider, Rick. Like some of the BORKs here said, whenever a rough patch comes, the people here eventually calm down and we get past it. Anyways, it's your call, bro. It's been really great having you as a brother on the forums. Keep in touch.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    There is always going to be different opinions on any forum. My view is simply this, take every thing with A grain of salt. Every one needs to vent sometimes. Some more than others. But in the end the only thing that really matters is that we can get over our differences and remain A close nit forum. Give it A little time and everybody will be on friendly terms once again. It would be A shame to loose such A great member as yourself.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    The Kid:
    j0z3r:

Well Said!!!!

I agree 100%. We all should act as you.
  • SaVasSaVas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 250
    It's sad to see posts like this on any type of forum, and they are more common than most care to admit, but especially on a forum dedicated to something like cigars and the enjoyment thereof, which every day is degraded more and more by those who deem it something vile and/or bad who have no clue of the enjoyment we receive , the stress it alleviates, the bond it makes between those of us that enjoy the good times found with smoking a great cigar. We all know the possible risks, I for one am ok with such risks, because of my day to day stress level, nothing like a good cigar to mellow me, and make me think, everything will be just fine.

I think a forum tends to exaggerate feelings that might not be truly intended, and face to face, ANY one of us would together, sit down, and enjoy cigars together. It wouldn't be based on whether we are short or tall, thin or fat, rich or poor, or ethnic background, color of our skin, political preference, countries we live in, etc. The type of cigar wouldn't matter, cheap, expensive, infused, hand rolled, machine made...who cares? How long we have been enjoying them...again, does it matter? Months, or decades, sitting face to face, all differences aside we would BE brothers/sisters of the leaf, with smiles on our faces and pats on backs. Forums can lead to arguments that shouldn't be there, and wouldn't be eye to eye.
  • greg2648greg2648 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,422
    I have never met a Family that did have a fight every now and then. Ours is no different. We will move forward and learn from our mistakes. We are not perfect. We all share a common bond. What amazes me is how close that I have become to a bunch of guys that I have never met. I didn't send my Sister a Christmas gift, but sent out several to my "Brothers". Why????? Yeah, we will get better and we will take care of our Brothers. I can spend my time anywhere......I spend it with my "Brothers". Rick, you are one of the leaders on this forum, but more important than that........You are my friend.
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    Rick, you are an amazing BOTL and friend. I am glad I have been able to get to know you. I hope someday we get to meet in person. You have given much of yourself without seeking anything in return other then friendship. I have a huge amount of respect for you.

I know what you are talking about since we talk. And you know I feel the same way. That is why I don't really post much anymore here. Not saying I am perfect and I have had my own moments of bad judgement when posting. Just a lot of other things that start to grind on you even though you don't let it get to you personally you still just get fed up and decided enough. I hope no one feels like in is any one person or specific thing.

One thing that bothers me is guys judging each other by who has the best giveaways, who bombs the most, who trades away all their good sticks. For some reason if you aren't an insane bomber around these parts certain guys look down on you and make snide remarks and smart a$$ comments. And a true BOTL gives of himself without seeking recognition or praise anyways. But the attitude of some people towards others because you don't participate that much in that stuff is ridiculous.

Not that I ever need to explain myself or defend myself to anyone but I have done tons of things for the troops and other brothers without boasting about it and saying hey look at me. I have bombed guys and not even received a thanks let alone a mention on the good guy list or a thread with a pic. Not the reason why I sent anything but at least say thank you. I think it is awesome of the guys who give and bomb and do all the fun stuff and have time and money for that. But that isn't what being a BOTL is all about.

I will be seeing you around brother ;)
  • pbchevopbchevo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 712
    well hopefully you reconsider....if you dont well am just glad i was able to trade you with you brother!!!
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Enjoy the cigars, enjoy the people you enjoy, enjoy the new people that you want to enjoy, everything else is just noise....
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Rick, PM to you brother.
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,471
    greg2648:
    I have never met a Family that did have a fight every now and then. Ours is no different. We will move forward and learn from our mistakes. We are not perfect. We all share a common bond. What amazes me is how close that I have become to a bunch of guys that I have never met. I didn't send my Sister a Christmas gift, but sent out several to my "Brothers". Why????? Yeah, we will get better and we will take care of our Brothers. I can spend my time anywhere......I spend it with my "Brothers". Rick, you are one of the leaders on this forum, but more important than that........You are my friend.
    Greg, we haven't had much contact at all, and Rick, we've had only a little more, but both of you guys are part of what makes this forum amazing.

Greg, I couldn't have said it better and am thankful for your perspective. Man I hope this place doesn't lose it's ambiance.
  • Un_SubUn_Sub Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 210
    If you guys don't mind, I would like to throw my 2 cents worth in here. I know I am the newb, no one knows me and vise versa and that said, I would like to throw a newb perspective in on this. I have been a member of several forums for diff. things, I have never seen a more close knit family than what I have seen here! I have never seen (much less, participated in) a family that has never met (in most cases) and yet will reach into their Humi and pull out what another brother likes and send it to him, not expecting anything in return, other than a heart felt thank you! It warms my heart to see that this kind of comradery can still be found today. It also saddens my heart to see that some distinguished brothers may leave over some strife. I am afraid that this kind of thinking will snowball and before long, this will be just another forum like the many others we have all been in. I hope to get to know you all very well and learn a lot about what we all love, the reason we are all here, CIGARS. I didn't join this forum thinking, "maybe I can mooch some free stogies off someone" I joined to learn about this passion we all seem to share. What I found was SO much more, I found Family. I would hate to see any of that become lost in the midst of a little turmoil! That is all!!!!!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Kevin, it doesn't matter if you've been here a day or a year, if you get you get it, that's all there is to it. I think most of us get it, the feeling of more than community, but of family and brotherhood. That's what made this forum a place I wanted to be, and it never really went away, just got overshadowed at times, and that's bound to happen anytime a forum sees such growth as we've seen over the past few years. I really think how we move forward and approach the future will tell the tale. And to do that new members and older members alike need to stand together...you know that whole "a house divided" thing.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    I mustve missed a lot but I would be a numbskull to know that Rick stepping back like this doesnt mean something. I know I dont really voice my opinion on many things but this is sucks. I hope that the forum can recover from what has happened recently and we can all get back to normal. Hope you dont leave Rick. Respect.
  • MVW67MVW67 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,447
    Wow, WTF go on Vacation, well still on Vaca, and don't get on as much, and find that RCY, is slowing down, and others not to mention are also doing the same, It Sucks!!! Never worked with RCY, but found him to be from my point of View a stand up guy!!! The problem is opinions are like A$$holes everybody gots ONE. Most things I take with a grain of salt,(READ MY SIG) I laugh off when people start ranting or b!tching on here, I just plain old ignore, actually don't even open certain threads. I decided a awhile ago to stay with helping the newbs, to introduce them to the ways the forums are intended.... Life is too short... Mike
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    Took me a while to read all this. I've got no idea what the fight/dispute/issues are, but I hate to see people leave a forum over stuff like that. Take a break, but please come back here and share in the fun. I don't get involved in the trades/bombs but I do like to read the comments and I'm blown away by the generosity of this group. I visit the forum every day and it is because of the diversity (things that make us different and yet the same) in this group that I read and enjoy my time here.

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    Rick I really hate to see this. You have become a friend of mine and it wouldn't be the same here without you. The generosity you have shown to everybody here between bombs and encouraging posts has been great. I def understand where you're coming from and if that's what you gotta do brother then that's what you gotta do but I say just ignore the bs and the people associated and just enjoy the parts of the forum that caused you to fall in love with it from day one.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,408
    As a fellow newb to the forum, I am right there with Un_Sub. I just recently joined this forum because of the amazing camaraderie I saw here. What I have read around here recently seems very out of place. A day after posting my newb intro, a member is volunteering to send me free cigars! And this is commonplace, from what I see. When I offered to return the favor, he simply suggested I return fire to the DCCC. That is the type of class I witnessed that encouraged me to join and what I experienced with my first interaction. So while the actions of a few may be painful and annoying at times, this forum as a whole is absolutely amazing.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    Anyone who attempts to put together a pass and make it completely foolproof ... underestimates the ingenuity of complete fools .

Way back when I joined this great little community , it was just that , a great LITTLE community , less than 3000 members I think if my memory serves me, at that time . One of the main things back then members took a high degree of pride in was policeing(sp) the forum and themselves and the few wrinkles we had were quickly ironed out and handled as gentlemen to everyones satisfaction . Now there are 14,000 plus members . There is no way you can cram 14,000 people from as varied backgrounds as we all have and there not be a couple of jokers in there with a attitude . Thats just life in general , whether your talking about 14,000 people in this forum , in a football stadium , working for a corporation , it does not matter .

We all occasionally let our foot slip off the common sense pedal and this engages our mouths before we think and we hit the post button .

No one's perfect . You'll notice I very rarily post in any political threads anymore . The reason is I made some comments once several yrs ago now that ticked off another old-timer on here . We had some small banter between us and that was that . A very well respected member of the community , still very much active . You know what made me mad ? That he was upset with me ? Absolutely not , that wasn't his fault , it was mine ! What really upset me was ME !!! Another guy now had an opinion about me that was totally not me ... not me in the least or what I am about . That bothered me . Does he still feel that way ? Maybe , I'm not sure . The point is the comments I made were silly , uncalled for and dis-respectful , for no other reason than my foot slipped off the common sense pedal . I have let him know I take responsibility for my words and posts and expressed my regret .I hope he has forgot about it .

The deal is if you mess up , man up . Take responsibility to handle it with courtesy , honesty , integrity , and from the heart . Take the extra step and also look inside yourself , is what your all fired up and mule-lipped ( and old country sayin' ) about really worth it ??? If you can't police yourself then nobody on here is really going to be able to either , but I'm tellin' you , its your loss .

I believe 99% of the brothers and sisters on here are good peeps , would help you out with anything they could in a skinny minute and ask nothing in return . 99 % ... Thats close enough to perfect for me , I will ignore the other 1% if they choose to continue like BORKS behaving badly .

RCY we have had zero deals with one another but I hope you reconsider and stay with the community ... if you choose not to that is our loss . You will be missed .

This post is not directed at any one person but just my thoughts on the forum as a whole . GENE
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,762
    gmill880:
    Anyone who attempts to put together a pass and make it completely foolproof ... underestimates the ingenuity of complete fools .

Way back when I joined this great little community , it was just that , a great LITTLE community , less than 3000 members I think if my memory serves me, at that time . One of the main things back then members took a high degree of pride in was policeing(sp) the forum and themselves and the few wrinkles we had were quickly ironed out and handled as gentlemen to everyones satisfaction . Now there are 14,000 plus members . There is no way you can cram 14,000 people from as varied backgrounds as we all have and there not be a couple of jokers in there with a attitude . Thats just life in general , whether your talking about 14,000 people in this forum , in a football stadium , working for a corporation , it does not matter .

We all occasionally let our foot slip off the common sense pedal and this engages our mouths before we think and we hit the post button .

No one's perfect . You'll notice I very rarily post in any political threads anymore . The reason is I made some comments once several yrs ago now that ticked off another old-timer on here . We had some small banter between us and that was that . A very well respected member of the community , still very much active . You know what made me mad ? That he was upset with me ? Absolutely not , that wasn't his fault , it was mine ! What really upset me was ME !!! Another guy now had an opinion about me that was totally not me ... not me in the least or what I am about . That bothered me . Does he still feel that way ? Maybe , I'm not sure . The point is the comments I made were silly , uncalled for and dis-respectful , for no other reason than my foot slipped off the common sense pedal . I have let him know I take responsibility for my words and posts and expressed my regret .I hope he has forgot about it .

The deal is if you mess up , man up . Take responsibility to handle it with courtesy , honesty , integrity , and from the heart . Take the extra step and also look inside yourself , is what your all fired up and mule-lipped ( and old country sayin' ) about really worth it ??? If you can't police yourself then nobody on here is really going to be able to either , but I'm tellin' you , its your loss .

I believe 99% of the brothers and sisters on here are good peeps , would help you out with anything they could in a skinny minute and ask nothing in return . 99 % ... Thats close enough to perfect for me , I will ignore the other 1% if they choose to continue like BORKS behaving badly .

RCY we have had zero deals with one another but I hope you reconsider and stay with the community ... if you choose not to that is our loss . You will be missed .

This post is not directed at any one person but just my thoughts on the forum as a whole . GENE
    Gene, I love you man. This should be a sticky somewhere. Seriously, the above is just about perfect, the only thing I can add here and I know I have said it once or twice,

Guys and Gals,

It is only a cigar, don't idolize it or put it on a pedestal, it is only a cigar. A cigar called a Fuente, DPG, Diamond Crown, Davidoff, Liga Privada etc., by any other name, is still just a cigar