Home Non Cigar Related

Anyone into carving?

Comments

• RBeckomRBeckom Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,099
    I plan to start A cane this weekend. I am looking for someone who actually needs one for mobility. Anyone in this category who is interested let me know. I will also need the height requirements for the cane to insure A custom fit. This is A goodwill gesture so no reimbursement will be expected. Later I will be carving one and having A contest of sorts for it.
    Toombes:
    Rhamlin:
    My first stick at home resting in the ashtray Rodney made me.Thanks brother hopefully I'll get the chance to send you a little thank you package before I head back out.image

Totally bad-***! Love the ashtray and love the AKA Hybrid. Looking good, my man!

No package is needed. I sent it to you simply for showing interest in my hobby. As I become more proficient with my carving I plan to send you something A little nicer. Thanks for being A great brother.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Love to see a pic of your cane when it's done. My dad used to collect all kinds of canes and really enjoyed carving one out of driftwood or a good piece ofhardwood with just the right shape. Hed have a stack of limbs piled up in back getting seasoned. He was big on the American Indian themes when he carved.
    Rhamlin:
    Love to see a pic of your cane when it's done. My dad used to collect all kinds of canes and really enjoyed carving one out of driftwood or a good piece ofhardwood with just the right shape. Hed have a stack of limbs piled up in back getting seasoned. He was big on the American Indian themes when he carved.

Sounds cool. Do you have any photos? I think that for this one I'll lean more towards either A snake or wood spirit theme.
    Not sure. But I'll look and see.
    Rhamlin:

Great I'll be looking forward to seeing someone else's work.
  • ToombesToombes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,451
    RBeckom:
    Rhamlin:

Great I'll be looking forward to seeing someone else's work.

PM to you, sir.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    ran across this and thought i would post it here > link CLICKHERE
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    jj20030:
    ran across this and thought i would post it here > link CLICKHERE

thats some cool stuff, i clinked on a link in there and it brought up this crazy video- http://www.break.com/index/butcher-knife-nunchucks-2195894?utm_source=scribol.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=scribol.com
    Toombes will be receiving the next cane I carve. Tomorrow I will select the blank for the cane. All of my cane blanks have had at least one full year of curing time. All I have to do is decide on Cedar verses Maple for this one. Cedar is easier to carve but on the other hand Maple is much more durable as well as stronger. If this cane is to be more of A decorative versus everyday use I will definitely go with the softer wood. With Cedar I can carve the entire cane in about three to four sittings. I guess I just made up my mind. Cedar it is. Funny how the thought process is. I answered my own questions after I started typing. And then started wandering. Back to the subject at hand. I will post pictures as the work progresses. Any suggestions on shipping? I've never shipped something like this before.
    Can't find any pics of my dads canes but here's some ideas for you.imageimageimageimageimage
    Nice photos. There's some good ideas there.
    You, sir, are an awesome example of the selflessness and generosity that makes this forum my home away from home. I eagerly await the pictures of your progress and will gladly help with the shipping arrangements, if you would like.
    I haven't been able to start the cane yet. Arthritis acting up A little with the humidity lately. I will start it as soon as possibly though. Sorry for the delay Toombes.
    No worries, brother. You take care of yourself and then we'll worry about the cane. I'm set at home with a couple extras.
    Toombes:
    No worries, brother. You take care of yourself and then we'll worry about the cane. I'm set at home with a couple extras.

I plan to finally start in the morning. I need to know which hand you hold A cane with and the length required for comfort.
    RBeckom:
    Toombes:

I plan to finally start in the morning. I need to know which hand you hold A cane with and the length required for comfort.

Groovy! Glad you're, hopefully, feeling better. I'm right handed and 32" should be fine. Let me know what the shipping will be and I'll pick that up for you since you're so generous to do this for me. Much gratitude and brotherly love, my man!
    Sunday morning was A fine time to be alive. I felt great, A rare occasion indeed, so I thought I would finally get started on the cane I promised to Toombes. As expected the roughing in process was very time consuming but well worth the time spent. Now the fun part can finally begin.

looking good, im working on a walking stick myself Gotta get/make a drawknife though!
    taythegibs:
    looking good, im working on a walking stick myself Gotta get/make a drawknife though!

Making it would be more fun. PM me with your address and after I'm finished with Toombes's cane I'll fire up my forge and hammer one out for you. The handles I'll leave to you for A personal touch. Would you like horizontal or vertical handles?
    RBeckom:
    taythegibs:

Making it would be more fun. PM me with your address and after I'm finished with Toombes cane I'll fire up my forge and hammer one out for you. The handles I'll leave to you for A personal touch. Would you like horizontal or vertical handles?

By the way if your into woodworking I can draw you up A set of plans for the shaving horse shown in the photos. It's actually simple to build and indispensable when carving canes or staffs.
    RBeckom:
    taythegibs:

Making it would be more fun. PM me with your address and after I'm finished with Toombes cane I'll fire up my forge and hammer one out for you. The handles I'll leave to you for A personal touch. Would you like horizontal or vertical handles?

By the way if your into woodworking I can draw you up A set of plans for the shaving horse shown in the photos. It's actually simple to build and indispensable when carving canes or staffs.
    Wow, Rodney! That looks awesome already. The extent of my carving talent is a cedar block and a three bladed Case. You have a unique talent to see what lies within the wood. Simply amazing, brother. Can't wait to hold the finished product in my hands and brag that it's handmade by someone I'm proud to call a brother!
    RBeckom:
    RBeckom:
    taythegibs:

That is awesome! Thank you! you have a pm on the way. I dont have any room for a horse but i have a chair/table thing i use. I dunno about the handles though, the one ive used previously that my grandfather has looks like the one in your picture above.
    It is amazing, the generosity of the people on this board!
    Toombes:
    Wow, Rodney! That looks awesome already. The extent of my carving talent is a cedar block and a three bladed Case. You have a unique talent to see what lies within the wood. Simply amazing, brother. Can't wait to hold the finished product in my hands and brag that it's handmade by someone I'm proud to call a brother!

I finally decided on the wood for this project. I chose Wild Cherry. Strong with A strait grain. Should take stain well. I'm probably going to go with A Wood Spirit design on this one. Just seems to suit this cane.
    That's awesome! Let your imagination go where it takes you, brother. I'm all atwitter with excitement!
    I'm finally getting to work on my projects A little now. Actually carved some today. I'll post A photo tomorrow sometime. It's actually looking nice now. Mabe in A few days..............I haven't forgotten the Draw Knife, it will be started soon. Sorry for the delays but between my Arthritis and the good fishing going on this month, it's hard to concentrate on things. :-)
    I'm in no hurry, brother. Take as much time as you need. Your health and relaxation come first.
    Toombes:
    I'm in no hurry, brother. Take as much time as you need. Your health and relaxation come first.

I went five years without being able to fish more than A couple of times A year, now it seems to be constantly getting in the way. :-)

RBeckom:
    Toombes:

I went five years without being able to fish more than A couple of times A year, now it seems to be constantly getting in the way. :-)

Lol! I haven't put a line in the water in over 10 years...