Home General Discussion

Redoing my Coolidor *v4.0 is Up and Running!*

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,993
    Tay...I would drill a ton of holes in teh shelves for circulation purposes, much like you see the slots on cedar shelves. Damn creative young man
  • taythegibstaythegibs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,024
    rburke1129:
    looks like McDonald's popcorn chicken...
    Yeah it is, people at work got a kick out of em.
    thats one of the plans, but the biggest drill bit i could find was a 1/4 inch tiny little thing so that can wait.
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    Very well done. Love the creativity.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,739
  • MephistoMephisto Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 508
    Looks like a lot of empty shelves...I think I can help. Would you be so kind as to pm me your addy?
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    thats the same cooler I have, I want to stand mine on end adn make shelves for those spots that are notched out in it.
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 396
    i started with that cooler too. then got a bigger one... and then i got a bigger one....
    Mephisto:
    Looks like a lot of empty shelves...I think I can help. Would you be so kind as to pm me your addy?
    seems like a bad idea... but pm sent.
    deejmemixx:
    thats the same cooler I have, I want to stand mine on end adn make shelves for those spots that are notched out in it.
    i was planning on something similar bit the cooler's sides arent straight down, the bottom is narrower than the top, so i couldnt get it to work out.
    martymcg43:
    i started with that cooler too. then got a bigger one... and then i got a bigger one....
    i hope... that this one will last me for a LONG time.
    taythegibs:
    martymcg43:
    i hope... that this one will last me for a LONG time.
    hahaha, v4.0 is coming soon. a teaser-

this one will last me to at least jan, it wont get stick in it till aug though, im taking my time and trying to do it right...it will need to be near an outlet for one or two extras to work in it. I really hope i dont need to go bigger, ever. This thing is huge and will hold probably about 5 years worth of sticks for me.

another teaser, i just wish the plastic was as accepting as the cardboard here-

• 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Those popcorn chicken pictures would be the death of me. I'd get hungry every time I went for a cigar. LOL!
    Tay, where did you get the stencil for the cigar? I do airbrushing and I have yet to see a stencil like that.
    i made it myself, im trying to get back into designing stuff and it was something i've really wanted to do.
  • 0patience0patience Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,767
    Great stencil work on that cigar. I really do like it.
    So one last picture of the yet unfinished v4.0 and a few "specs"

note- this is with the shelves unfinished and the top shelf missing from the picture.

Specs-
    70qt
    led lighting to be run off of battery or plug w/ switch to turn it on as lid is fully opened
    computer fan on a timer, plugged in w/ location tbd
    3 rows of shelving w/ adjustable dividers on the top shelves
    hasp and combination lock
    ugly as poo stenciling
    cigars

Now im going on vacation and so this wont be finished for another couple of weeks, until then, gibs out!
    4.0 is up and running!

this is the battery pack for the lighting, to the right of the hinge (the box) is the switch that activates when the lid is opened.

this is a picture of the coolidor in the dark

and everything that is in it

this is the small computer fan ill be running in the cooler, its on a timer and runs for a few minutes every 1-1.5 hours

im proud of the way ive built this but im already wishing i had wired the switch differently, lol. Hopefully it will be the last "new cooler" for a long time.
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 826
    looks cool. good job
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 10,949
    Good job man..impressive set-up you got there!!
    thank you guys.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Nicely done looks sharp
    Rhamlin:
    Nicely done looks sharp
    thank you, im quite proud of it myself.
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 590
    Impressive. I'm hoping to embark on a journey to fabricate some more storage soon. Don't you just love the feeling you get when you finish a project that turns out, and you get to step back and enjoy it.
  • SmokindaddySmokindaddy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,107
    Bumping this up for EoL. 4.0 is still running like a beast!!!
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    Very nice job! Proves yet again that a 'need' to do something leads to great creativity! Well done.
  • ImgemboImgembo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 657
    This is awesome. I need to try and do this sometime. I am running out of room. Love the lighting and computer fan great ideas.
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    This has gotten my brain going overdrive as I have way too many larger coolers that rely upon relatively poor 'tetris' like storage devices. But creating shelving out of foamboard is brilliant, as it is strong, yet very light.

I am concerned though about the 'off gassing' from the foam board, so I highly recommend that anyone using it use 'archival' foamboard as it is museum quality and does not off gas. THus far, this is the only source I have found: http://www.nbframing.com/foamboard/archival-foamboard/

I just phoned a local art supply store and they actually stock it. They have it in 1/8 or 3/16 @ 32"x40" at a cost of $11 in either thickness. The 40"x60" seems only stocked (by them) in 3/16 @ $19. Colours are white, black and a cotton-surface..which he has never seen.
    Need to measure my coolers and see how these sizes might work! Like I needed something else to do with my time.
    P.S. Love the idea to drill holes in it for circulation...brilliant! Especially as foam board generally retains it's strength. Very cool product indeed!
  • Bob LukenBob Luken Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,664
    Great thread. How have I missed this one? Thanks for bumping it. Love the trays you built. And the lighting is really cool. Very nice work.

What kind of glue did you use to build the trays? My concern with the glue and the corrugated plastic would be odor affecting the cigars.