Home General Discussion

Have you joined CRA?

JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
I'm just askin...

Comments

• skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Thought about it. If I could get one of those 10 packs, I'd jump all over it.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    Not yet. I did send out the e-mails on the site. I think the cheapest sign-up is $35 if I remember correctly.
  • slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
    i want to. i DEFINATELY did the emails
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Yes. Well worth the 30 dollars or whatever it costs to join. Anyone that hasn't joined must hate the right to smoke cigars...
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    docbp87:
    Yes. Well worth the 30 dollars or whatever it costs to join. Anyone that hasn't joined must hate the right to smoke cigars...
    lol...
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    I did the emails but, as a senior citizen on a fixed income, I can't justify the expense of joining.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    I haven't joined yet...where do you join to get the 10cigar sampler?
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    You don't get the ten cigar sampler when you join. You have to be a member to buy the ten cigar sampler. You get two cigars for joining though.
  • greg2648greg2648 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,422
    Both of my local BM have the 10 pack. When I joined for $99, they gave it to me on the spot. They have 6 packs left.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    docbp87:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    You don't get the ten cigar sampler when you join. You have to be a member to buy the ten cigar sampler. You get two cigars for joining though.
    If you pay $99 to join you get the 10 cigar sampler as well as the membership. i.e. Greg2648 got his that way.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    docbp87:
    True enough. The only voices heard in Congress now are corporate ones, which means that those with common interests must unite, and allow money to talk for you.
  • GrazuhGrazuh Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
    docbp87:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    I joined by buying the 10 cigar sampler. It comes with a one year membership. If B&M's in your area don't carry it, contact CRA directly and they will set you up. If you call and get an answering machine, leave a message. Someone will get back to you in a few days.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    greg2648:
    Both of my local BM have the 10 pack. When I joined for $99, they gave it to me on the spot. They have 6 packs left.
    Hmm, not that I need an excuse for 10 more cigars, but since its for the cause... Marker, we will have to check our B&M this week on Wed to see if he is a participant
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 648
    for anyone that is wondering whether your local B&M is a participant, you can check the CRA website for a list. Only "Platinum" level tobacconists have the 10-stick sampler.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    im trying to decide between the 4 year or the lifetime...

• HippiebrianHippiebrian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    O.K., I'm a member of the League of American Cyclists, who fight for the rights of my other passion, so what the hay...I just went to their website and joined. I'll have to prod my two b&m's who, at least that I'm aware of, are not members. Just like cycling, we cigar people need people who will work for us and for less than what I've paid for a box of cigars for a 3 year membership, it was a no-brainer for me (although to be honest, I have been thinking about it for a few months. This thread pushed me over the edge.)

I wonder, am I the only leftie fighting for smoker's rights now? LOL
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 648
    kuzi16:

Ill do the year until they win this round for us at which point ill go lifetime! For me personally, I can't see being a lifetime member if cigars will be neutered to a point that I might not enjoy them any more.
    AJGARLETT:
    kuzi16:

Ill do the year until they win this round for us at which point ill go lifetime! For me personally, I can't see being a lifetime member if cigars will be neutered to a point that I might not enjoy them any more.
    thats a good point. gunna sign up for the year instead.
    Hippiebrian:
    O.K., I'm a member of the League of American Cyclists, who fight for the rights of my other passion, so what the hay...I just went to their website and joined. I'll have to prod my two b&m's who, at least that I'm aware of, are not members. Just like cycling, we cigar people need people who will work for us and for less than what I've paid for a box of cigars for a 3 year membership, it was a no-brainer for me (although to be honest, I have been thinking about it for a few months. This thread pushed me over the edge.) I wonder, am I the only leftie fighting for smoker's rights now? LOL
    No you are not, but the Persuit of Happines is neither a "leftie" nor a "conservative" concept. It is an American one.

Once you give up that Right and allow others to decide how you should persue happiness, as long as you are "safe", pretty soon only a handfull of people will be allowed to decide how everybody will persue happiness, and then nobody will be safe.
  • HippiebrianHippiebrian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    JDH:
    Hippiebrian:
    O.K., I'm a member of the League of American Cyclists, who fight for the rights of my other passion, so what the hay...I just went to their website and joined. I'll have to prod my two b&m's who, at least that I'm aware of, are not members. Just like cycling, we cigar people need people who will work for us and for less than what I've paid for a box of cigars for a 3 year membership, it was a no-brainer for me (although to be honest, I have been thinking about it for a few months. This thread pushed me over the edge.)

I wonder, am I the only leftie fighting for smoker's rights now? LOL

No you are not, but the Persuit of Happines is neither a "leftie" nor a "conservative" concept. It is an American one.

Once you give up that Right and allow others to decide how you should persue happiness, as long as you are "safe", pretty soon only a handfull of people will be allowed to decide how everybody will persue happiness, and then nobody will be safe.

Gotta agree...the pursuit of happiness crosses all political beliefs, religions, etc. and we all need to protect that little gem in this country. Isn't personal freedom (outside of stepping on other's rights, of course) what living here is supposed to be all about? The right to express your opinions, the right to enjoy life as you see fit, and the right to enjoy a good cigar? Some things are beyond political ideals...
    Hippiebrian:
    Some things are beyond political ideals...
    not according to some in the government who feel that they know how to run our lives better than us. they feel we can live longer, be stronger, be happier, be more efficient, work harder, produce more, etc if we all just shut up and let the government take care of us by having them tell us what to do and when to do it.
    kuzi16:
    Hippiebrian:
    Some things are beyond political ideals...
    not according to some in the government who feel that they know how to run our lives better than us. they feel we can live longer, be stronger, be happier, be more efficient, work harder, produce more, etc if we all just shut up and let the government take care of us by having them tell us what to do and when to do it.
    The fact of the matter is that whether you require protection from government or from corporate overreach, the only way to accomplish that now is by uniting and speaking with one loud voice instead of a lot of soft ones.

Face it. Cigar smokers are a distinct minority within a minority. That makes us incredibly weak. America has a very long and well documented history of not respecting the rights of its minority populations. The only way to prevent OUR ox from being gored is to unite in order to have as loud a voice as possible.
    FYI:

I just got this e-mail from my US Congressman regarding HR 1639. He is in support, but Mitch Mconnel is not.

December 12, 2011 Dear Mr. Hollingsworth: Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1639. My job is to serve the people of Central Kentucky, so hearing your thoughts and concerns is extremely important to me. I appreciate that you took the time to share them. As you may know, H.R. 1639 would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and from fees assessed on tobacco products by the FDA. You will be pleased to know that I became a cosponsor of this legislation on October 13, 2011. Like you, I believe H.R. 1639 would protect cigar store owners from burdensome regulations while also allowing for rules that keep minors from purchasing cigarettes. Please rest assured I will closely monitor this issue and keep your thoughts in mind. Again, I value your input on H.R. 1639. Please continue to keep in contact with me, and feel free to use my online office at http://chandler.house.gov and to sign up for my e-newsletter at http://chandler.house.gov/enews.html to stay up-to-date on issues affecting Central Kentucky in the 112th Congress. Sincerely, Ben Chandler Member of Congress
  • JRyder430JRyder430 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2
    Going to the the year as well here.
    JDH:
    FYI:

I just got this e-mail from my US Congressman regarding HR 1639. He is in support, but Mitch Mconnel is not.

December 12, 2011 Dear Mr. Hollingsworth: Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1639. My job is to serve the people of Central Kentucky, so hearing your thoughts and concerns is extremely important to me. I appreciate that you took the time to share them. As you may know, H.R. 1639 would amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to exempt traditional large and premium cigars from regulation by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and from fees assessed on tobacco products by the FDA. You will be pleased to know that I became a cosponsor of this legislation on October 13, 2011. Like you, I believe H.R. 1639 would protect cigar store owners from burdensome regulations while also allowing for rules that keep minors from purchasing cigarettes. Please rest assured I will closely monitor this issue and keep your thoughts in mind. Again, I value your input on H.R. 1639. Please continue to keep in contact with me, and feel free to use my online office at http://chandler.house.gov and to sign up for my e-newsletter at http://chandler.house.gov/enews.html to stay up-to-date on issues affecting Central Kentucky in the 112th Congress. Sincerely, Ben Chandler Member of Congress
    I would strongly urge all who are interested in preserving the premium cigar industry to contact Senator Mitch McConnell and urge him to support this legislation exempting premium cigars from FDA oversight, especially those of you who are Republicans.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Got this from my Senator today

Dear Mr. Floyd, Thank you for contacting me to express your support for S. 1461, the "Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act of 2011." It is good to hear from you. As you may know, President Obama signed the "Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act" into law on June 22, 2009. This legislation empowered the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) with broad regulatory and tax authority over the tobacco industry, including cigar producers and tobacco shops. I opposed this legislation when it came before me in the U.S. House of Representatives. On August 1, 2011, Senator Ben Nelson (D-FL) introduced S. 1461, which would exempt traditional and premium cigars from these new rules. This legislation has been referred to the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. As a small business for over 25 years, I understand the pressures that our small businesses face. Like you, I recognize that duplicative and unnecessary regulatory burdens negatively impact small businesses. While rules and regulations play an important role in establishing the parameters for business, they can also serve as an obstacle to business development and job creation. Please be assured that I will support S. 1461 should it come before me for a vote in the U.S. Senate. Again, thank you for contacting me on this very important issue.

And my Congressman

Dear Dane : Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 1639, the Traditional Cigar Manufacturing and Small Business Jobs Preservation Act. I appreciate hearing from you. You will be pleased to know that I am a cosponsor of this legislation. As you know, H.R. 1639 was introduced on April 15, 2011, as legislation that would clarify the Food and Drug Administration's jurisdiction over certain tobacco products. This legislation also aims to protect jobs and small businesses involved in the sale, manufacturing and distribution of traditional and premium cigars. H.R. 1639 has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee. I truly appreciate you sharing your support for this legislation . Please be assured that I will continue to support H.R. 1639 and will push for its final passage in the U.S. House of Representatives. Thank you again for contacting me. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me in my Washington, D.C. or district office most convenient to you
  • TheedgeTheedge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 316
    I've not joined yet, I did print out the letters along with my contact info and mailed them to my representatives.
    Theedge:
    I've not joined yet, I did print out the letters along with my contact info and mailed them to my representatives.
    you should. its quick and easy. PM me and i can help you out if you want.

there is basically no excuse for anyone on this forum to NOT be a member. it isnt that expensive for one year and you get good things out of it.
    and of course you help make the voice of the cigar world heard.
  • ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    Dagnabit Sorry guys. I just signed up, and I really should have asked somebody for their number.