Home General Discussion

Cigars of the year 2011

Comments

• JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    dennisking:
    for me this year, here are my top picks. not necessarily new releases but ones outside the realm of my normal favorites.

MOW Puro - what an awesome little stick. with age, these really shine.
    Tatuaje Verocu #5 - thanks to Joe j0z3r for sending me some of these. note my signature for more info
    Partagas 150, holy balls this stick is really good.
    Punch Uppercut. I've only had one but I really enjoyed it.
    Diesel Unholy Cocktail and MOW Ruination - not new at all but so darn good and really sollid sticks
    Don Carlos Edicion de Anniversario - they've been out for some time but I smoked my first one this last spring and it's by far my #1 stick
    That's a nice listing. I doubt that I'll ever run across a Partagas 150; yer a lucky man.

Haven't tried the Uppercut either, but anybody who likes the Verocu #5 and the MOW PA must have pretty good taste, so I'll put these on my must try list.
    "...MOW Puro - what an awesome little stick. with age, these really shine..."

How the hell do you age them? I tend to burn 'em up as soon as I get 'em.

Will power. I gotta work on my will power.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    robbyras:
    not positive it came out this year, but I'm going to assume it did and say that Quesada España was the best new stick I had this year...

Others I enjoyed were MOW Puro, San Cristobal Elegancia, Illusione Epernay and all three La Rebola...

not sure if they all came out this year, but I think they did
    I agree with the Quesada Espana, and would add the Alec Bradley Black Market as well. Those are some box worthy beauties in my opinion.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Definitely the MOW Puro Authentico and San Lotano Habano. Those are the only two I can think of that came out this year that are high on my favorites list. Damn good cigars in every aspect.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    JDH:
    For my taste, these were the best I came across this year:

San Lotano Oval

Ave Maria

Tatuaje TAA 2011 (a cigar made exclusively for the Tobacconists' Association of America. The owner of a local B&M picked then up in Mexico; a 5 3/4" x 48 box pressed curly footed beauty just about the same color as a San Cristobal)

Oliva V #4 (a little corona released for the European market)

MOW PA

I can second that Oliva V European one. I have three left and love'em. Forgot about them, nice....

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I have only a few New releases that I liked
    MOW Armada Corona
    MOW PA
    LGC Serie "N" (technically released last october)
    Jaime Garcia
    San Lotano Oval
    Pinar Del Rio Platinum
    Sencillo
    Kristoff Ligero Criollo
    AB American Classic Blend
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    JDH:
    Tatuaje TAA 2011 (a cigar made exclusively for the Tobacconists' Association of America. The owner of a local B&M picked then up in Mexico; a 5 3/4" x 48 box pressed curly footed beauty just about the same color as a San Cristobal)
    Yeah. The TAA's are definitely one of the better sticks of this year IMO. Great balance, beautiful CBL wrapper, and best of all... the production number is so high that none of the kids who always get their panties in a bunch because they can't find Tat limited releases have a leg to stand on griping about these... they are EVERYWHERE (As long as your tobacconist is a member of TAA, which they damn well better should be...). Also, the size is great. Don't usually like a 54 ring gauge, but the slight box press alleviates some of the discomfort from that huge ring. Basically these remind me of a toned down, maybe not quite as good, but still great mix of the BRex and the Pork Tendy.

Oh and for me... MKUltra, AF Anejo No. 60 (Kind of 2011...), Liga Privada L40, EPC New Wave Connecticut, Ramon Allones Allones Extra, Tatuaje Black Petit Lancero, TAA, Tatuaje Federal 90th Rosado, Por Larranaga Encantos (2010 RE, but didn't hit till into 2011)
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    Best for me this year and not in any particular order are: LP#9 Toro, Punch Uppercut Toro, My Father Crema, and PDR 1878 Oscuro Toro. I also really enjoyed a Tat Ambos Mundos.

I was so excited about the Jaime Garcia Reservas and had a few robustos bombed my way and just did not like them. I am wondering if they are better in Toro.
  • Duke2Duke2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 393
    My list is as follows:
    MOW Puro
    Tat Fausto
    Ava Maria

• The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Emilio AF 2
    Tat Wolfman
    AB Black Market
    LP Undercrown
    San Cristobal Elegancia
    MOW PA
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 775
    I can't remember all what came out this year, but I think that the most impressive line, to me, was San Lotano. I love both the Maduro and Habano, but still need to try the Oval and Connecticut.
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
    Hands down the San Lotano Habano! I love them and they are dang near perfect in my book.
    JDH:
    For my taste, these were the best I came across this year:

San Lotano Oval

Ave Maria

Tatuaje TAA 2011 (a cigar made exclusively for the Tobacconists' Association of America. The owner of a local B&M picked then up in Mexico; a 5 3/4" x 50 box pressed curly footed beauty just about the same color as a San Cristobal)

Oliva V #4 (a little corona released for the European market)

MOW PA
    There's also the Joya de Nicarauga Celebracion...and the Brickhouse.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    One of my favorites from this year was the San lotano oval.
    docbp87:
    JDH:
    Yeah. The TAA's are definitely one of the better sticks of this year IMO. Great balance, beautiful CBL wrapper, and best of all... the production number is so high that none of the kids who always get their panties in a bunch because they can't find Tat limited releases have a leg to stand on griping about these... they are EVERYWHERE (As long as your tobacconist is a member of TAA, which they damn well better should be...). Also, the size is great. Don't usually like a 54 ring gauge, but the slight box press alleviates some of the discomfort from that huge ring. Basically these remind me of a toned down, maybe not quite as good, but still great mix of the BRex and the Pork Tendy.

Oh and for me... MKUltra, AF Anejo No. 60 (Kind of 2011...), Liga Privada L40, EPC New Wave Connecticut, Ramon Allones Allones Extra, Tatuaje Black Petit Lancero, TAA, Tatuaje Federal 90th Rosado, Por Larranaga Encantos (2010 RE, but didn't hit till into 2011)
    The box pres of the TAT TAA really is deceptive. Holding it in my hand, I would not have thought it was a 54 ring size. It FEELS like a 48...go figure.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    AB Fine and Rare no question for me. Honorable mention to Pueblo Dominicano and Ave Reconquista but I am biased on those!
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    dowjr1:
    I was so excited about the Jaime Garcia Reservas and had a few robustos bombed my way and just did not like them. I am wondering if they are better in Toro.
    Forgot these came out this year . . . .totally agree with you here Dow, I love anything DPG, except the vegas cubanas, so I was pretty fired up to try this one too, and it was ok. I had the belicoso that I picked up from a B&M, and I enjoyed it, but that was all.
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    Alex Svenson:
    AB Fine and Rare no question for me. Honorable mention to Pueblo Dominicano and Ave Reconquista but I am biased on those!
    The Ave Maria Reconquista is truly remarkable, I'd have to agree 100% with you on this Alex! Haven't tried the Pueblo Dominicano yet, seems like I need to fix that!
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    Tat black PL
    Quesada Espana (might cry when I run out of theses)
    Viaje Oro DT
    Room 101 nambakui (no idea how to spell it but they're very good)
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    docbp87:
    JDH:

I read alot about these being wet when they came out so I packed mine away and forgot about em, sounds like I need to dig em out.
  • scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
    Rocky Patel May 28, 2011 Unica

Phenomenal cigar with only 500 boxes made and my B&M got the first 11.
  • lcpleellcpleel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,447
    Namakubi papi chulo
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    90+ Irishman:
    Alex Svenson:
    The Ave Maria Reconquista is truly remarkable, I'd have to agree 100% with you on this Alex! Haven't tried the Pueblo Dominicano yet, seems like I need to fix that!
    havent smoked my Reconquista yet. Im gunna smoke one of em soon.
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    Alex Svenson:
    what is the AB Fine and rare? Must have slipped by me.
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Alex Svenson:
    what is the AB Fine and rare? Must have slipped by me.
    http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/16176
  • HippiebrianHippiebrian Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    I don't know if it came out this year, but the Padilla Dominus churchill...omfg, my mouth is watering thinking about one.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    rwheelwright:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Guess I should've answered. For me it's a 4 way toss up between the EP Carrillo Encantos, Gran Habano Azteca, 90 Miles Reserva Selecta, and the San Lotano Oval.

I have to say that the Azteca was definately good. Forgot about that one. The others I haven't had.
    which maduro did you have?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    LFD Solomon Maduro, Tat Wolfie, God of Fire Series B (both).
  • atlthrasher@comcast.netatlthrasher@comcast.net Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 24
    The Padilla Miami 8&11 was my new release of the year. Followed by El Primer Mundo Epifania. Other favorites were Emilio Grimalkin, AF1, & AF2. Perdomo Champagne Noir. Thunder by Nimish from RP. Cain Daytona is best in smaller ring gauge. undercrown. Crowned Heads Four Kicks.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    San Lotano Oval, Cain Daytona, Gurkha Seduction and the Room 101 Namakubi (esp the Roxxo vitola)