Home General Discussion

smoking in the cold.... how do you keep warm????

2»

Comments

• R_M_GR_M_G Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 41
    I live in Illinois, it's already below freezing here with three inches of snow, and there's nothing to stop the wind except people... we have to run miles and miles of orange plastic fencing along the edges of the corn fields to keep the snow from drifting up over the roads and houses... I smoke late at night, before bed. I put on a big heavy blanket-robe and sit out on the patio by the fire pit. As the snow builds up I pile it up around the patio to block the wind and hold in the heat, but on calm nights when there's no wind, the robe, fire, cigar (or pipe) and maybe some bourbon are all a guy really needs.
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    R_M_G:
    I live in Illinois, it's already below freezing here with three inches of snow, and there's nothing to stop the wind except people... we have to run miles and miles of orange plastic fencing along the edges of the corn fields to keep the snow from drifting up over the roads and houses... I smoke late at night, before bed. I put on a big heavy blanket-robe and sit out on the patio by the fire pit. As the snow builds up I pile it up around the patio to block the wind and hold in the heat, but on calm nights when there's no wind, the robe, fire, cigar (or pipe) and maybe some bourbon are all a guy really needs.
    I'm sorry, but this is just not right.

It ticks me off whenever I pass by an office building and there's a bunch of people who have been forced outside in freezing weather to smoke. It just is not right.

I love my wife dearly, but we came to an understanding years ago that "it's my house too", and I will not be made uncomfortable while smoking my cigars. I don't ask her to go outside in the freezing weather to read, she doesn't require the same of me to smoke.

"Foul" odors can be delt with, and I will take measures to do that, but I aint going outside. It's my house too.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    Alright... I just moved away from Maryland and here's what you do! Go to Walmart! Buy some "Walls" thermal coveralls and a thermal hat! Problem solved! These things are easy to jump in and out of quickly, goes right over whatever you're currently wearing, and you could literally where nothing under them in sub-zero temperatures with 30 mph winds and feel perfectly warm!!! I bought mine because I did flight line work up there. The night I bought them, I went outside in a snow storm when it was 2 degrees outside with 25 mph winds and took a nice comfortable 45 minute walk and smoked a cigar! Doesn't really cover your neck though so I always wore a fleece vest under it just for that, but a scarf would work well too.
    clearlysuspect:
    Alright... I just moved away from Maryland and here's what you do! Go to Walmart! Buy some "Walls" thermal coveralls and a thermal hat! Problem solved! These things are easy to jump in and out of quickly, goes right over whatever you're currently wearing, and you could literally where nothing under them in sub-zero temperatures with 30 mph winds and feel perfectly warm!!! I bought mine because I did flight line work up there. The night I bought them, I went outside in a snow storm when it was 2 degrees outside with 25 mph winds and took a nice comfortable 45 minute walk and smoked a cigar! Doesn't really cover your neck though so I always wore a fleece vest under it just for that, but a scarf would work well too.
    There is something very wrong when a man cannot be made comfortable and happy in his own home because of this current national phobia about secondhand smoke. The persuit of happiness is a foundation block of this country. I will not be forced out of my house in freezing weather and made uncomfortable. It's my house too. Life is short. Enjoy as much of it as you can.
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    JDH:
    R_M_G:

It ticks me off whenever I pass by an office building and there's a bunch of people who have been forced outside in freezing weather to smoke. It just is not right.

I love my wife dearly, but we came to an understanding years ago that "it's my house too", and I will not be made uncomfortable while smoking my cigars. I don't ask her to go outside in the freezing weather to read, she doesn't require the same of me to smoke.

"Foul" odors can be delt with, and I will take measures to do that, but I aint going outside. It's my house too.

What method do you use to deal with the 'foul odors', JDH? I'm currently researching methods/systems for doing that and would like to know yours. Thanks.
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    R_M_G:

What method do you use to deal with the 'foul odors', JDH? I'm currently researching methods/systems for doing that and would like to know yours. Thanks.
    I've taken over an upstairs bedroom for my enjoyment of cigars in the winter months. We have central air/heat, so I will isolate that room from any posibility of air movement out of that room into the rest of the house by closing the door, sealing it from the inside, and shutting off and covering the heat vent. Then I open a window and place a good exhaust fan in it. I also have a blueair 203 air purifier in the room, and will use a portable electric space heater if needed.

I can go up there and watch TV, listen to music, invite a few guys over for poker. I've had as many as five guys up there smoking cigars, and there has never been a problem in the rest of the house. The exhaust is the key. You must remove as much of the smoke from the room as you can ASAP.
    JDH:
    jlmarta:
    JDH:
    R_M_G:

I've taken over an upstairs bedroom for my enjoyment of cigars in the winter months. We have central air/heat, so I will isolate that room from any posibility of air movement out of that room into the rest of the house by closing the door, sealing it from the inside, and shutting off and covering the heat vent. Then I open a window and place a good exhaust fan in it. I also have a blueair 203 air purifier in the room, and will use a portable electric space heater if needed.

I can go up there and watch TV, listen to music, invite a few guys over for poker. I've had as many as five guys up there smoking cigars, and there has never been a problem in the rest of the house. The exhaust is the key. You must remove as much of the smoke from the room as you can ASAP.
    Usually, I will let the exhaust fan run for about 30 min to an hour after use. Also - NEVER leave an old cigar butt in the room. Discard them when you finish. I will rinse the ashtrays after use too. I usually do this when I shut off the exhaust, and restore the room to the hvac system.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    Duke2:
    Nothing fancy just an electric space heater in the garage.

Ditto.
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 84
    JDH:
    Usually, I will let the exhaust fan run for about 30 min to an hour after use. Also - NEVER leave an old cigar butt in the room. Discard them when you finish. I will rinse the ashtrays after use too. I usually do this when I shut off the exhaust, and restore the room to the hvac system.
    Yes, I was using the ashtray in my pickup and it is amazing how I cannot get the smell out of it. Even after soaking. I threw in a glass canning jar into the cupholder and am using that now. That even needs to be cleaned right away!
  • RampMonkeyRampMonkey Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,808
    I to have to hit the garage when times are cold. If its not mine then its my buddies place. Pop out the old space heater and flip on the tube and watch some sports. Been tossing the idea around of converting my 3rd car garage into a smoking lounge. What a site that would be.
    RampMonkey:
    I to have to hit the garage when times are cold. If its not mine then its my buddies place. Pop out the old space heater and flip on the tube and watch some sports. Been tossing the idea around of converting my 3rd car garage into a smoking lounge. What a site that would be.
    You really should do it! A little insulation and drywall, a couple of windows, a few outlets and fixtures, a built-in exhaust specific to that room, maybe a wood stove, some leather furniture and a pool table & a dart board & a poker table & big screen TV, maybe a wet bar if the plumbing wouldn't be too complicated....heaven!
  • Bucking WBucking W Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 206
    I use to smoke in the Garage if I could not make it to the lounge. I got tired of the garage smelling fumes. I built a man cave out back 12x24 house. I put some air purifiers out there and all is good during those chilly nites. I live in Texas so we have very few of those.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 345
    i smoke in my house in the winter. i built my house b4 i built my wife, lol. no smell. lots of bath and body plugins and fresh paint every 4 yrs so. thats the key. my ma taught me that, she smoked until recently, never smelled stale smoke in the house.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    RampMonkey:
    bubba (on the forums) has done this to his garage, his wife still parks in there but it is nicely heated and we play cribbage in there quite a bit, I would do it to mine if it was possible.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    My 4 season MenDen!

beatnic:
    My 4 season MenDen!

Rick, you're a mean, mean man.... Showing us something like this. LOL. Now my heart's broken 'cause when it's cold outside I have to relegate myself to my junky ol' garage to burn a stick. Sob, sob.
    Converted 2 car carport. Workshop, craft corner, smoking lounge. Sports area. Of course, wireless internet and cable, iTunes, HDTV, etc. Windows on 2.5 sides, all casement, fully open in summer with ceiling fan. Space heater in the winter. And big *** ashtrays all over the place. The BBQ pit is immediately outside the windows. Its' what we work for.
    Stop, stop! You're breaking my heart. Oh, I can't take it any more. Whimper, moan.....
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    jlmarta:
    Stop, stop! You're breaking my heart. Oh, I can't take it any more. Whimper, moan.....
    +365
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Not as sweet as the 4 season men den, But its where I do my smokin, gots all a guy needs. Great ceiling fan that will pull all the smoke out and still keep a guy warm in the winter bout 27 deg right now,
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    did he say 27°? Move south.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 600
    Move South is right! Until I do though, I take my dogs to the dog park and field to run wearing a nice set of insulated Carhartt coveralls. I also have separated out all my robustos for winter smoking. I have about 45 ready to go. Let the snow come!