Home General Discussion

smoking in the cold.... how do you keep warm????

slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
hey guys. zoo i live in northern va now and i was wondering. since its starting to get pretty cold i was wondering if any of you still smoke outside. because i have a kid, the best time for me to have a cigar is in the late afternoon, after the sun goes down. every once and a while it will still be warm at night but that is not the case for tonight. i WOULD go to a b&m but the nearest one is about 20-30 minutes away from me so i can't do that either. have any of you used a heater or heating blanket or anything else to keep warm? since I'm in the city i can't have a bonfire otherwise i would. so lets hear some ideas guys. How do you stay warm?......

Comments

• spokspok Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 35
    I live in the Pacific Northwet...its cold and wet here now. I've taken to my garage with a propane heater... . . . image
  • cooch36cooch36 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 711
    I use two blond's.....and a red head. that's what works for me! LOL. I build a man town in the basement with a bathroom vent in the ceiling works really well and I also have a automatic air freshiner.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Maine doesn't really get cold in the winter, we just advertise that so nobody bothers us up here in Heaven. But if it did I'd probably just do jumping jacks. Those things warm you up!
  • slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
    spok:
    I live in the Pacific Northwet...its cold and wet here now. I've taken to my garage with a propane heater... .If only I were so lucky. I dont have a garage . . image
  • TeegeTeege Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 660
    I gain 75 lbs for the winter just to keep me warm :)
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    spok:
    I live in the Pacific Northwet...its cold and wet here now. I've taken to my garage with a propane heater... . . . image
    I got one of this past spring at Home Depot on the clearance shelf for like $20 some bucks. Haven't tried it out yet but might have to bust it out this weekend.

edit - I was talking about the heater, not the 5Vegas Miami obviously lol. Although I have a couple of those too - love that stick. Might have to copy you on both accounts - fire up the new heater and bust out a 5V Miami!
  • JDHJDH Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,107
    I have taken over a spare upstairs bedroom no longer in use. When it gets too uncomfortable to fire up outside, I go up there, close the door, shut off the heat vent, put an exhaust fan in the window, plug in a portable electric space heater and a high dollar air cleaner, put my feet up in my leather recliner, and watch TV or listen to music or read.

It's my house too.
  • slickricslickric Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 705
    JDH:
    I have taken over a spare upstairs bedroom no longer in use. When it gets too uncomfortable to fire up outside, I go up there, close the door, shut off the heat vent, put an exhaust fan in the window, plug in a portable electric space heater and a high dollar air cleaner, put my feet up in my leather recliner, and watch TV or listen to music or read.

It's my house too.
    unfortunately we are renting and my wife REFUSES to allow me to smoke in the house
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    I don't.... as in it just doesn't happen. It was 2 degrees F here this morning just for reference lol! I go to the b&m until my wife and I move into our first house.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I have an electric radiant heater that works great. I take that on the porch with an old comforter and I am set. Works like a charm and cost about $80.
  • danielruasdanielruas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 778
    My wife is awesome enough to let me smoke indoors. I put an exhaust fan in the window in the living room and sit on the end of the couch closest to the window. Works like a charm.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 908
    I'm lucky in that it never really gets "cold" here in santa cruz....30s sometimes.......
    I dress warm, and build a fire in the outside fire pit..................when it rains.......I sit on the porch........when it really rains/storms......no cigar for me..............

I sure would love to smoke a cigar indoors at a nice B&M someday.......sit in a big leather chair..........
    (No smoking indoors at my house either)
    Now that I think of it..................I don't think I have ever smoked a cigar indoors!
    I'm going to make that my New Years resolution...................I'm smoking one indoors someplace next year..........probably have to go to a B&M somewhere "over the hill"............

• ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I live in Washington and it gets cold, but I turn on my patio heater and bundle up while smoking out on the patio.
  • Duke2Duke2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 393
    Nothing fancy just an electric space heater in the garage.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    danielruas:
    My wife is awesome enough to let me smoke indoors. I put an exhaust fan in the window in the living room and sit on the end of the couch closest to the window. Works like a charm.
    She's a keeper!!!
  • 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    lots of layers when im outside.
    if its below 40 or raining i just smoke in the car
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    One thing I've noticed when smoking in VERY cold conditions (low twenties/teens or below) is some cigars seem to build up tar. Not all of them do it and some do it in the cold and not when it's mild so there isn't any predictable rhyme or reason but it stinks. When it's that cold out I just pass now, it's not worth getting the tar and ruining a good stick.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    KingoftheCove:
    I'm lucky in that it never really gets "cold" here in santa cruz....30s sometimes.......
    I dress warm, and build a fire in the outside fire pit..................when it rains.......I sit on the porch........when it really rains/storms......no cigar for me..............

I sure would love to smoke a cigar indoors at a nice B&M someday.......sit in a big leather chair..........
    (No smoking indoors at my house either)
    Now that I think of it..................I don't think I have ever smoked a cigar indoors!
    I'm going to make that my New Years resolution...................I'm smoking one indoors someplace next year..........probably have to go to a B&M somewhere "over the hill"............

Come on over that hill king, we should get a nor cal/bay area herf going before the holidays or shortly after. We should pick a random weekday night a go with it. The B&M in RWC is only ok, and you can't smoke inside unless your a member, hence why I go to menlo park of all places that has a great B&M behind some british restaurant where you can hang out and smoke all you want as long as you buy 1 cigar there, works for me because they have a good selection and good prices.

So what do I do to keep warm smoking in the winter months? I live in california, but even the I wuss out when it gets "cold" and just give up and smoke about half as much. the winter becomes my "inventory" management and aging period every year.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,064
    a big tent on my above garage deck, with a space heater, may need to get a bigger one though (heater that is)
  • ZAPZAP Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 164
    I'm up in northern Mn so I know cold...also a no smoking state so no going to the bar...i have no local smoke shops to enjoy one in....what I did was turn my old beater van into a mobile smoke pit...I had a stick or two per week all winter out in the van with the heater on.and the window cracked a little...some times I went for a nice little relaxing drive...other times I just read some magazines and listened to music....the day or two after it was bit nasty but it lightened up and come spring I followed some advice from this forum and totally cleared out all the smoke smell....you would never guess cigars were smoked in this van today....and now I am about to begin the cycle again....only works though if you have an exclusive vehicle the wife doesn't ride in much because it will smell pretty strong until you clean things up....
  • christian1971christian1971 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 392
    Seeing the picture of the propane heater made me laugh. I thought I was the only one sitting in a garage. Great to see others are suffering just like me. Although this year I have decided to smoke in my junker car. Listen to some music and enjoy a cigar. I don't mind the smoke floating around. Maybe I'll take the seats out and make it my hangout?
  • joshvoigtjoshvoigt Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 325
    I've got two space heaters. Too afraid of messing of propane and ventilation and such. With the garage door cracked about a foot it's not too bad with a long sleeve shirt and my lined flannel smoking jacket is what I call it lol. We have a few nice B&Ms but I like my nighttime cigar the best and they all close at 6. I like the idea of the heating blanket though as long as I could find a cheap one.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    christian1971:
    Seeing the picture of the propane heater made me laugh. I thought I was the only one sitting in a garage. Great to see others are suffering just like me. Although this year I have decided to smoke in my junker car. Listen to some music and enjoy a cigar. I don't mind the smoke floating around. Maybe I'll take the seats out and make it my hangout?
    I hooked up cable in the garage last year and use a space heater for warmth. I set up the garden furiture in a corner of the garage and now I sit warmly, in comfort watching TV while enjoying a cigar. I'm lovin' it.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    IDK why but but every time I see threads like this I get slightly nervous.
    Had to double check with the GF she wants a smoking lounge in the house too.

Just another sign she's the one.

• laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    stephen_hannibal:
    IDK why but but every time I see threads like this I get slightly nervous.
    Had to double check with the GF she wants a smoking lounge in the house too.

Just another sign she's the one.

My wife would be OK with me smoking inside. It is ME that won't do it. I can't stand the smell of smoke of any kind inside a house. Drives me nuts. I don't even like the smell in the garage... until I lite up anyway ;)

But yes Stephan... it sounds like she's a keeper alright.
  • KriegerKrieger Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 337
    Well, I smoke inside now, but when it got cold last year, I simply sat on the side of my house facing either the sun, or away from the wind. I then drank either hot coffee, tea, or chocolate (goes well with a sweet maduro.), and light up the fire pit. I then have my friends come over and we just smoke around the fire pit, drinking whatever we please.

I have never felt comfortable with using a space heater unless it was electric. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and you just get tired... and then really tired, maybe a headache.. then you fall asleep. not good. lmao
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    My Home Depot has those patio propane tower heaters for $99. Thought that was a pretty good deal as i remember seeing those things for $200-$300 and up in the past. I'd get one for the screen porch if I didn't already have the dual-burner type that goes on top of a propane tank.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I climb inside the hollowed out belly of a Tauntaun. And I thought these things smell bad on the outside! #geek.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    y2pascoe:
    I climb inside the hollowed out belly of a Tauntaun. And I thought these things smell bad on the outside! #geek.
    Just make sure you use your light saber to make a clean cauterized cut.
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 84
    ZAP:
    I'm up in northern Mn so I know cold...also a no smoking state so no going to the bar...i have no local smoke shops to enjoy one in....what I did was turn my old beater van into a mobile smoke pit...I had a stick or two per week all winter out in the van with the heater on.and the window cracked a little...some times I went for a nice little relaxing drive...other times I just read some magazines and listened to music....the day or two after it was bit nasty but it lightened up and come spring I followed some advice from this forum and totally cleared out all the smoke smell....you would never guess cigars were smoked in this van today....and now I am about to begin the cycle again....only works though if you have an exclusive vehicle the wife doesn't ride in much because it will smell pretty strong until you clean things up....
    me too ... When I take my old pickup for a drive, I crack the window with the heater on, 99% of smoke vents out and what smell that is left behind can clear in a couple of days with Lysol or Oust spray.