Home General Discussion

Rocky Patel Vintage Segundos

2»

Comments

• JKTexJKTex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
    madurofan:
    I think the X-Outs and such may not be pressed, this is just a guess, but that may be the issue at hand.

I hope not.  Ccom's description definetly says they are pulled prior to pressing and getting bands which I assume, and it makes sense, is in the same process.

Mine are still resting so hopefully they'll still be good.  In the meantime, I do still have the banded presses firsts to keep me busy.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    i just bought a bundle of '92 segundos, I will let you know if they come pressed or not.
    I smoked a '90 last night, a first, not a segundo as a comparison.

I really hope the segundo's come around after a few weeks.  The '90 was just absolutely fantastic and hasn't had to rest that long.  It burned well (I even had to leave it for about 5 minutes, came back and it was still going strong), burned even, lots of smoke and great flavor all the way to the point I had to put it down with about 2" left.  I didn't want to put it down either.

The 2nd segundo I smoked would barely stay lit, once I puffed enough t get it going it had decent smoke, but wouldn't last, I have to put it down when I'd gotten just ober half way done.  It just wasn't good at all.  But this one had a wrapper than was more like rough leather.  Others are much more like the wrapper of the firsts.

I just think they need some time.  But at this point, I'm 2 down and 2 strikes.  If I go much further I'll be at the point where I would have much rather paid te $50 for 10 firsts and had 10 good, reliable smokes.

I'm also beinina to wonder if the pressing has something to do with the way it burns.  My fingers are still crossed.....
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    madurofan:
    I think the X-Outs and such may not be pressed, this is just a guess, but that may be the issue at hand.
    nope, they come pressed...at least the ones that are normally pressed, like the OWR.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    in my experience, the weather has EVERYTHING to do with how a cigar smokes. I dont bother smoking cigars in the winter anymore, every time the flavor comes out very flat. if its foggy or really humid, I cant keep them lit. the only time ill smoke in the winter is if its in front of a campfire. I enjoy cigars most on a 75 degree sunny day. theres somthing about the sunshine that makes a cigar 10 times better. sadly, here in the northwest I smoke in the shade of an overcast sky most of the time. I get maybe 2 or 3 months of sunny smoking weather. almost makes me want to move back to california, ALMOST.
    That's exactly why I'll probably never move out of California Higgs. As I'm sure you know, the weather isn't always the greatest, especially in the summer months, but I just don't think I could adjust to the fall/winter temps some of you guys get. Though I must say, somewhere with a relatively mild summer is tempting, just not with a trade off of snowy winters.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Just move across the way to San Diego.
    Too humid. I'd rather snow in the winter than humid summers. By now I'm sure I sound awful picky. :)
    Just a weeeee bit.
    I just got my vintage segundos yesterday, and i looked at each one. They really don't look that bad. Some have a vein or two, spot or two, nothing big. They are pressed, I can't wait to smoke one this weekend. This was first time I ordered anything from cigar.com, ordered the smokes last Thursday, got them on Monday, (standard shipping too) can't beat that!
    Krieg:
    I just got my vintage segundos yesterday, and i looked at each one. They really don't look that bad. Some have a vein or two, spot or two, nothing big. They are pressed, I can't wait to smoke one this weekend. This was first time I ordered anything from cigar.com, ordered the smokes last Thursday, got them on Monday, (standard shipping too) can't beat that!

They're pressed, just like the firsts?  Huh? [:^)]  Are they '90's or '92's and are they robusto's.
  • jomommass1jomommass1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 34
    Told ya, every batch I got has been pressed... They smoke the same, taste the same and "almost" look the same as the firsts without the price. I got a whole 120ct humi full of em. Maybee you got a funkey bundle or something??? BTW I have the toro's
    JKTex:
    Krieg:

They're pressed, just like the firsts?  Huh? [:^)]  Are they '90's or '92's and are they robusto's.
    I ordered the '92 robustos (i like the spicier Vintage)
    Krieg:
    JKTex:

This is strange.  The site clearly says they are pulled prior to being pressed thus they are round, which mine are.  If some are in fact pressed (which I prefer) that kinda changes things up as far as how or when they are pulled.

I'd love for someone from c.com to chime in.

For now, I'm not touching them based on the 1st 2 I smoked.  I'll give them a lot more time to get right....hopefully.  In the meantime, I'm running out of the regular, firsts which are fantastic.  Big Smile [:D]  I also have a tin of '90 Juniors to try now.
    Just smoked a 1990 segundo today and what do you know.... 'il sigaro era perfetto' Perfect
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    JKTex:
    Krieg:
    JKTex:

This is strange.  The site clearly says they are pulled prior to being pressed thus they are round, which mine are.  If some are in fact pressed (which I prefer) that kinda changes things up as far as how or when they are pulled.

I'd love for someone from c.com to chime in.

For now, I'm not touching them based on the 1st 2 I smoked.  I'll give them a lot more time to get right....hopefully.  In the meantime, I'm running out of the regular, firsts which are fantastic.  Big Smile [:D]  I also have a tin of '90 Juniors to try now.
    I'm just throwing out some speculation here, and i'm not sure if it was said in a previous post, but... did you order the segundo's bundled, or individually? perhaps the processes they go through for individual packaging and the processes they go through for bundled retail causes them to smoke different? could possibly even explain why some are pressed and some aren't (bundled vs. single)?? of course i'm just guessing here... I haven't bought any yet because i don't have a big enough humi to put a bundle in. maybe some other folks that have them would be able to say?
    I think the only difference between the bundled and the singles is that the singles are removed from the bundles, I wouldn't imagine they go through any different processes compared to the bundles.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 718
    Somebody had said something about the labels, got me thinking a little bit...
    Hey it's possible, I was throwing out my thoughts, but it could turn out that you're right about it. I surely don't know, I just smoke the cigars that come my way and leave it at that.
    j0z3r:
    I think the only difference between the bundled and the singles is that the singles are removed from the bundles, I wouldn't imagine they go through any different processes compared to the bundles.
    I ordered an entire bundle of 92 seconds, and they were nicely pressed. I also smoked one last saturday, and it was great. No burn issues either.
    I did order a bundle.

I smoked a 3rd the other day and it was better.  It was also slightly pressed unlike the others.  It ws hard to tell by appearance but it felt like it, so I rolled it to see.

Flavor still wasn't quite there and it would fade pretty quick but if I kept going on it it had lots of smoke and drew well.  But again, flavor wasn't quite up to the firsts and you have to work a little at keeping it lit.

Instead of $50 for 15, I would have jumped on 20 for $85 for firsts in a heartbeat.  It makes me think the appearance isn't always aesthetic only, in some cases it's the wrapper itself that is inferior not just for looks.  The last one was better, but others feel tough like leather and so far all have been very tight. 

That said, I also smoked  '90 Junior.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but it smoked great, but wasn't quite the same as a robusto as far as the flavor.  But not bad at all.

It may be that the bundle I got is an anomaly, but I am disappointed in the segundo's.  Especially since, although they are priced better, the difference isn't in line with the quality I've seen so far.  And if I find that some are good, the fact that some aren't negates any price advantage.
    That sux that you havent had a good experience with em so far. Like I said, im on my 6th or 7th bundle. All have been pressed and none thus far have had burn or draw issues enough to complain about... I still think you got a bad bad bundle. I would try calling ccom and explain the situation maybee they can help you out by swapping some out for a diffrent bundle... Its worth a phone call..
    Ok, I let a buddy smoke one the other night (I had a '92 Toro Big Smile [:D] ) and I punched and lit it.  It felt much better.  Punched fine, lit, no burn problems and he enjoyed it.  And he's not much of a cigar smoker.  At least not very often.

Tonight I had another one.  That's what I'm talking about!!!  Again, punched, lit and burned great.  No problem with it staying well lit and until it was time for me to come in (got chilly! ) it was still smoking great! 

Finally!  A good one!  Party!!! [<:o)]  Hopefully I got the bad ones (just the first 2 out of the 15 so far) out of the way.  The jury's still out as to whether I'll but them again, but at least they're back on the table and I'm happy with the what I'm seeing now.

Had to come back and update with some good news.  I felt like a whiner up 'till now. Big Smile [:D]
    Glad to hear it, Tex. Here's hoping the rest are as good.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    JKTex:
    Ok, I let a buddy smoke one the other night (I had a '92 Toro Big Smile [:D] ) and I punched and lit it.  It felt much better.  Punched fine, lit, no burn problems and he enjoyed it.  And he's not much of a cigar smoker.  At least not very often.

Tonight I had another one.  That's what I'm talking about!!!  Again, punched, lit and burned great.  No problem with it staying well lit and until it was time for me to come in (got chilly! ) it was still smoking great! 

Finally!  A good one!  Party!!! [<:o)]  Hopefully I got the bad ones (just the first 2 out of the 15 so far) out of the way.  The jury's still out as to whether I'll but them again, but at least they're back on the table and I'm happy with the what I'm seeing now.

Had to come back and update with some good news.  I felt like a whiner up 'till now. Big Smile [:D]
    you may also find that the "good ones" are beccoming more common as you push through because they have had more time to rest in the humi. this is the entire reason why every cigar that goes into my humidor rests for 6 weeks minimum.
    kuzi16:
    you may also find that the "good ones" are beccoming more common as you push through because they have had more time to rest in the humi. this is the entire reason why every cigar that goes into my humidor rests for 6 weeks minimum.

That very well may be it. These may just have needed a lot more resting time than anything else so far.  Who knows how long they sat in the plastic wrap, or if maybe the plastic wrap was breached somewhere.