Home General Discussion

Rocky Patel Vintage Segundos

JKTexJKTex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
Other than what's said to be "small wrapper blemishes" are they as good as the firsts?

They seem to be a great value if appearance is all that's different.  I'm trying to get well stocked and a little imperfection in appearance isn't a concern, but how they smoke and if they're as good as the firsts, I hope they're as good of a value as they seem.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    many people swear by them.

they may not be exactly as good as the originals, i mean, not all seconds are seconds because of how they look, sometimes there are other issues. but for the cost its at least worth a try.
  • JKTexJKTex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
    That's what I'm wondering.  The claim is that the blemishes are the only thing that makes them Segundos. 

I found 1 old thread where 1 person swore everything about the way they smoke are exactly like the firsts, but I wanted to see if others thought the same thing.
    i dont like Rocky Patel in general. ( you wouldnt know by looking at my humidor though, but thats another story) so im the wrong guy to ask. but from what i hear from RP fans, its all good.
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Typically the RP Segundos are just cosmetic issues. The X-Outs though they are taken out at an earlier stage than the Segundos and can in some cases have more severe problems like being underfilled or a very poor quality wrapper.
  • jomommass1jomommass1 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 34
    RP Vintage 1990's are my favorate smokes. After buying box after box at full price I stumbled upon the segundos... WOW what a value!!! They burn and smoke just like the full priced ones but cost soooo much less! They are not as pretty and they dont have bands... some of the wrappers are lighter or darker in color  but who cares!!! Im about to order my 6th bundle from Cigar.com.Big Smile [:D]
    Cool.  I love the 90's as well.  I have my first on the way.

And those damn check-out specials!!!   Surprise [:O]   I've got some more NUB's on the way too.  :D  I almost grabbed the 5 Vegas Miami deal in the 5 stick plastic humidor.  Perfect for the boat, but I think I want a 10 sticker so I passed on the 5 Vegas.  They're sneaky!  ;)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    I've had the segundos in the '92 variety. Of the couple I had, they were every bit the same as the real deal. I'm not a huge fan of the Vintage line, it just doesn't do the same thing for me that it does for many, but the seconds were very good quality and I'd recommend giving them a try...and for the price, picking up a couple to sample won't put you out very much if they're not to your liking.
  • bass8844bass8844 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 416
    I too would recommend them. If you put a second and a regular side by side I think that you'd hardly notice the difference. I bought a bundle of the 90's a while back and haven't had a problem with any of em.

My advice, give em a try. They're not too expensive, so if you don't like them, not too big of a hit to the wallet.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 315
    Are the Segundos box pressed like the regular line or roundies?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    Pressed. They make it through all the stages of manufacture but are weeded out at the final cosmetic inspection.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    I'm one of the people who swear by these. Super-dee-duper value and out of the 20 or so ive had maybe 1 or 2 had a "severe" problem, the rest were just cosmetic. I wish more lines had segundos....sigh...of the possibilities. Speaking of which...at the b&m i went to today he had seconds from lines that in NEVER knew put out seconds like punch and.....exact names are escaping me but they were big names. wonder if its a b&m thing.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    occasionaly I get one that has burn issues, but the ratio is not much higher than the occasional burn issues with firsts cigars. mostly its just blemishes, or the cap is a little disfigured, doesnt cause issue though.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947

Jetmech_63:
    I'm one of the people who swear by these. Super-dee-duper value and out of the 20 or so ive had maybe 1 or 2 had a "severe" problem, the rest were just cosmetic. I wish more lines had segundos....sigh...of the possibilities. Speaking of which...at the b&m i went to today he had seconds from lines that in NEVER knew put out seconds like punch and.....exact names are escaping me but they were big names. wonder if its a b&m thing.

Wow, Punch seconds? I would be up to try some Gran Puro seconds just to see, thats interesting, I'm going to check with a couple of my B&M's on that ....

• iwsmith2iwsmith2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 65
    I just bought a 15er of fusion seconds, i'll let ya'll know how they go when i smoke one.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    gmill880:

Jetmech_63:

Wow, Punch seconds? I would be up to try some Gran Puro seconds just to see, thats interesting, I'm going to check with a couple of my B&M's on that ....

I was kind of in a hurry today so i'm going back tomorrow to investigate.
  • mr251mr251 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2

...i have received a bundle of 1992 vintages and i thought i died and went to heaven after the first one, right out of the wrapper...the smell of cocoa, the rich flavors, the even burn, the long white ash...need i say more...

...i bought these after recving my bundle of fusion double maduros which are equally enjoyable...

these are the best segundos in have ever smked...thank you rocky for giving the good guys a breeak with these gems (not blems)...i will buy these as long as they are available, this is now my everyday smoke...me and the queen of england...lol

• kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    mr251:

...i have received a bundle of 1992 vintages and i thought i died and went to heaven after the first one, right out of the wrapper...the smell of cocoa, the rich flavors, the even burn, the long white ash...need i say more...

...i bought these after recving my bundle of fusion double maduros which are equally enjoyable...

these are the best segundos in have ever smked...thank you rocky for giving the good guys a breeak with these gems (not blems)...i will buy these as long as they are available, this is now my everyday smoke...me and the queen of england...lol

Hey mr251.. Welcome, 1992 is one of my favorite from Patel as well. Nice to have you with us.
    I just got my 2 bundles of 1990's in the mail. After 6 bundles they are all pretty consistent. Most of em look great to me... Some of wrappers have veins and are a little ugly but who the hell cares. Are we looking at em or are we smoking em?? Save some money and try em you be the judge...
    Mine ought to be here today so I'm stoked!  Big Smile [:D]
    Yep, even with the holiday Monday, they showed up today.

A few appear to be less that "pretty" but other than a little color variance and maybe a little vein here and there, they look great.  I need to smoke on now.  Big Smile [:D]

Ha, mine were like the same deal... a little off color and some veins here and there. They got me on the checkout too!!! Boy I tell ya, they really know how to twist an arm! I wound up geting the NUB sampler for 14 bucks and the 5 Vegas cigar/herf a dor combo (holds 5 stogies, Great for a day or night of striper fishing) plus the free 5 cigar offer. And to top it all off, I got 10% my whole order b/c it was my birthday... .. Cant beat that
    Ok, to you guys that have or have had the Segundo's, I hate to be a buzz kill but.......

Against my better judgment I smoked one this morning, instead of letting them rest a while.  So, I didn't expect it to be perfect, but I've got an eyebrow cocked.

I have some '90's and '02 robusto's in my humi as well, so I can compare them side by side. The first thing that jumps out and smacks me in the face, '90 and '92's are box pressed.  These segundo's are round.  I mean, not mis-shapen, but solid round like a rod.

Half way through the draw tightened up like a drum and the taste just isn't the same, but again, they haven't rested yet.  The wrapper is slightly dry too.

So tell me, how does a cigar coming down the same line, get pulled at the end for cosmetic reasons only and not be the same shape?

First thought is that for $20 less, you can buy [Name left out] Alternatives and expect to get these, not authentic RP's Vintage and get a different shape cigar.

Any thoughts?  I had such high hopes but I'm really disapponted so far.

(BTW, I got the NUB sampler too.  Love the Connecticut's Big Smile [:D] )
    Ok, DUH moment.

I just  noticed the Segundo's are pulled from the line "before" they are pressed, thus are round.  DOH!!

Ok, I'm back to just needing to let them rest.  Looking at this one I'm smoking, the wrapper is actually contracting 1/8 to 1/4 back from the burn line and as I said the wrapper is slightly dry as it is.  The smoking issue, if not just this cigar, is likely just uneven moisture.  I'm not sure how long they sit wrapped in the plastic bundle wrap but they need some spa time as any cigar does. 

So, never mind.  Embarrassed [:$]
    Every bundle I have gotten thus far has been squared???
    jomommass1:

That's strange.  They supposedly are pulled prior to being pressed which apparently is also when they get the band, unless they are pulled of course.
    always let your smokes rest after shipment. mine rest at least 6 weeks before i fire em up.
    JKTex:
    jomommass1:

That's strange.  They supposedly are pulled prior to being pressed which apparently is also when they get the band, unless they are pulled of course.
    I have no idea... I just received my last bundle today and what do you know... square as square can be... The firsts do have a better press looking at them both side by side, but the secconds are still square. The wrappers on this bundle are not as good as previous ones I received (ie. discolored & lots of veins ect.) but they are still square. I don't know??? Even the discription on the site says they are round and bandless. I havent received a round one yet...
  • jihiggsjihiggs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 468
    my segundos are box pressed...
    Maybee he got a funkey batch???
  • madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    I think the X-Outs and such may not be pressed, this is just a guess, but that may be the issue at hand.