Home Ratings & Reviews

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• betasynnbetasynn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,249
    Funnily enough, I had one last night. I was very unhappy with the initial tastes, but as it burned through, it picked up a good bit of spice. It was a little on the mild side as well for me, and I can see what you said; nothing really popped. I would rank it a touch lower then you at an 8 or so.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    yeah... i designed my rating system to be as fair as it could be. if i didnt like the flavor but others could then the other criteria would keep the score from ending up in the dumps. this has a way of raising the score for many cigars that are made well but have little to no flavor. this was the case in this cigar.

i used to only have 6 criteria for cigars, not 7. I added "Feel" just for this reason.
    5-28-09 been in humi since 9-11-08

Hoyo de Tradicion Toro Grande (6.2x54)
    Wrapper: Honduran Viso Rosado
    Binder: Connecticut
    Filler: Dominican Republic, Honduras, Nicaraguan

The presentation of this cigar is fantastic. The classic band with the light red/brown wrapper and a slight box press bring a good look to the table. The only flaw that I can see is that the cap looks as if it was hastily trimmed.

The smell is light, maybe woody but its hard to pin down its so light. The lick on the cap also has very little flavor.

Cut with a punch. The draw test shows a good draw that (finally) brings the flavor on. It is very chocolaty and a bit nutty.

The initial puffs are round and nutty with a bit of cedar. The aftertaste has a tiny bit of a bitter note to it but I feel that is due to a poor light. (its windy) the large ring is a bit strange to me after all of the coronas that I’ve been smoking.

As it settles the flavors of wood and nut intensify while the bitter fades away. The flavor is round and smooth with maybe a hint of coffee on the finish. The aroma of this cigar is quite good. It has a nice wood to it. the first ash fell at just over an inch.

Nearing the half way point a very slight spice develops. It is very short and compliments the rest of the smoke well. The aftertaste is still a bit coffee. The initial flavor is just about the same as it was before. The aftertaste isn’t as intense or as round as the initial taste and though it is good on its own I feel that it is slightly mismatched with the rest of the smoke.

In the last third the aftertaste turns over to a more tea like taste. This change in flavor brings it back into the balance that it was looking for.

The burn has been perfect even though it is raining outside (100% RH). No splitting. No relights. No corrective lights.

The last few puffs are a carry over from before.

Burn: 10
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 9
    Appearance: 9
    Feel: 9

Overall: 9.0
    4 smoke rings -- an above average cigar

• Garen BGaren B Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 977
    Would you reccomend me giving Hoya de Monterrey another shot after smoking that cigar? I had a few bad sticks from them when I was first starting out and pretty much haven't looked at one since.
    i dont feel that the regular line of HdM is all that special. Hoyo de Tradicion is good and the excalibur series are all a needed step up.

heck, ill try cigars i know i wont like just to see if i still dont like them. usually they have a bit more age on them at that point though.
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    I had a HdM Excalibur no1 today. Had about a year of time rest on it. was a very nice, albeit, mild stick. I would smoke several more when in the mood for a milder stick. Got a little more body toward the end.
    bbc020:
    I had a HdM Excalibur no1 today. Had about a year of time rest on it. was a very nice, albeit, mild stick. I would smoke several more when in the mood for a milder stick. Got a little more body toward the end.
    maduro or natural?
    kuzi16:
    bbc020:
    maduro or natural?
    it was the natural....very nice for a mild stick. I think the wrapper on those is described as an English Claro
    nice, i may have to check that one out. ive only had the maduro.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    I really like the Excalibur. I wonder if the year it sat mellowed it a little, I'd say they're medium-ish. Now I'm looking forward to the Tradicion, never had one of those.
    6-2-09

NUB maduro 464 (4x64)
    Wrapper: Brazilian Maduro
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan

The cellophane on this cigar is very “crisp” …it just FEELS new. As the Cellophane comes off a very pronounced barnyard smell comes out. It is very strong. There is no need to bring it to the nose. The cigar is a dark brown. The color of the wrapper is the same as the band, save for the gold on the band.

The lick on the cap is very oily on the tongue but the flavor off of it is very light. All I can taste/smell is that amazingly strong barnyard. Cut with my double guillotine cutter. The draw is a bit tight, but it isn’t from a poor cut.

Given the ring gauge, the light takes forever. The aroma is a bit coffee. The first draws are mild with sweet and cream and a hint of dark chocolate. The aftertaste is a bit Nicaraguan; slightly spicy, and a bit sawdust. The finish is a tiny bit harsh but some time in the humidor may do it some good.

About twenty minutes in and the cigar has reached medium body. The flavor is roughly the same but the aftertaste has settled down some. It is more woody than harsh or spice now. There is a bit of a coffee undertone all around.

Thirty minutes in and I’m about half way through. The ash has yet to fall. Given that I am inside, I knocked it off. It was still a firm ash.

Getting to the last third and this cigar has not changed much. It is good, but by nature/design it is not complex.

The cigar finishes with much of the same.

Burn to the burn.
    Time: 1 hour 10 minutes.

Burn: 9
    Draw: 8
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 10
    Feel: 9

Overall: 8.8
    4 of 6 smoke rings -- an above average cigar

There was a lot of speculation on what this cigar would be like. The two running theories on the forum were a nub version of the Serie G maduro or a nub version of the Serie V maduro. This is neither. This is purely NUB maduro. This is a testament to the blenders at Oliva

• Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 930
    So you got a tight draw on the Maduro as well? I thought it was my cut. My buddies had an easier draw than mine, but it was still tight. You know, now that I think about it, I think I was overthinking this cigar when I smoked it. I did get that barnyard smell, although I couldn't place what the smell was until you mentioned it. I'm going to pick up a few of these soon, and see how it progresses. My theory is that each stick will be a little better than the last. They all need a little age on them since they're so new. Any validity to this?
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    The La Aurora Maduro I smoked the other night had a STRONG barnyard smell as well, but thank god it didn't taste like that. The only smoke I've ever had that tasted like that was a Black Pearl. It tasted like a heavily fertalized barnyard! lol
    Matt Marvel:
    My theory is that each stick will be a little better than the last. They all need a little age on them since they're so new. Any validity to this?
    kuzi16:
    The finish is a tiny bit harsh but some time in the humidor may do it some good.
    yes
    My bad kuzi, I didn't even notice you had mentioned that. Didn't mean for you to have to answer a question that was already answered. I'm just another illiterate Texan I guess, lol.
    dont feel bad. i have a tendency to skim reviews as well.

keep in mind that i am doing these reviews for myself first. this is how i get to know what i like and what i dont. this is also a way that i develop my palate. If others find it useful, so be it.

if you look through all my posts you will find a disproportional number of posts NOT in the reviews section (other than my own).
    why?
    because i dont care. I dont base what i like on what others say. yes ill take recommendations, but i wont seek out a review to find a cigar that i will like. I usually look up reviews or only read reviews of cigars that i have already had to see what they thought of it.

I expect the people on this forum to glance over the review and take it with a grain of salt.

so in that ligiht, you were making an observation based on your experience with this particular cigar. I agreed with it. I thought it was a good thought.

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    kuzi16:
    because i dont care.
    Well f*ck you and your little review too, lol.
    kuzi16:
    dont feel bad. i have a tendency to skim reviews as well.

keep in mind that i am doing these reviews for myself first. this is how i get to know what i like and what i dont. this is also a way that i develop my palate. If others find it useful, so be it.

if you look through all my posts you will find a disproportional number of posts NOT in the reviews section (other than my own).
    why?
    because i dont care. I dont base what i like on what others say. yes ill take recommendations, but i wont seek out a review to find a cigar that i will like. I usually look up reviews or only read reviews of cigars that i have already had to see what they thought of it.

I expect the people on this forum to glance over the review and take it with a grain of salt.

so in that ligiht, you were making an observation based on your experience with this particular cigar. I agreed with it. I thought it was a good thought.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I look at reviews the same way you do. The most of what I read of yours was how it tasted, which, was a lot different than what I got.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Interesting review. I just split a box of these 4 ways and they came in today. I may smoke one on the way home.
    so...

Ive been lazy.
    i have to reviews in my note book that i have yet to put online.
    the two cigars are:
    Legend-Ario
    and
    AVO maduro.

ill try not to be lazy in the future.

on that note. you may see a small change in my reviews.
    I think that i have started to notice things in a different way when i smoke cigars. therefore, i will be adding another area of critique:
    Balance.

does one flavor out shine another in a positive way or a negative one?
    does the initial taste work with the aftertaste?
    things like that. anyone have thoughts on this?
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    so...

Ive been lazy.
    i have to reviews in my note book that i have yet to put online.
    the two cigars are:
    Legend-Ario
    and
    AVO maduro.

ill try not to be lazy in the future.

on that note. you may see a small change in my reviews.
    I think that i have started to notice things in a different way when i smoke cigars. therefore, i will be adding another area of critique:
    Balance.

does one flavor out shine another in a positive way or a negative one?
    does the initial taste work with the aftertaste?
    things like that. anyone have thoughts on this?

Great idea Kuz. I will be watching for the new reviews. C'mon, hurry up will ya? Lazy S.O.B.
    laker1963:
    Lazy S.O.B.
    for real though...
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    Lazy S.O.B.
    for real though...
    LOL
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Kuzi, As always, the more information the better.
    I'd love to read the Legend Ario review....so don't be too lazy. I picked one up on you or justin's suggestion and smoked it a couple weeks ago...man, that was a good smoke!
    bbc020:
    I'd love to read the Legend Ario review....so don't be too lazy. I picked one up on you or justin's suggestion and smoked it a couple weeks ago...man, that was a good smoke!
    it seems they dont age well...
    6-3-09 been in humi since 2-24-09
    Legend-Ario Figurado (6x54)
    Wrapper: Honduran
    Binder: Honduran
    Filler: Honduran

This cigar has a dark toothy wrapper with a gold band. The wrapper is “spotted” (not bloom but mineral deposits) and has a bit of sheen to it. The smell is light and a bit earthy. The lick on the cap has some spice to it. The draw after the cut is very good.

The first puffs are earthy and a bit leather. There is also a bitter nut flavor in there.

Something feels very out of balance with this cigar. However, I cant quite figure out why so early in the game.

The ash seems flakey when it falls at about an inch. The initial taste and the after taste do not match at all. The initial taste is a good classic Honduran with a nutty hint to it. the aftertaste is a strange spice that doesn’t quite match. Its not bad, but it is strange. The bitter nut is still there too.

At the half way point the flavor has not changed much at all. I don’t want to put it down but I’m not particularly impressed with it.

One side burns faster than the other and corrective lights are needed.

In the final third the smoke warms a bit. This upsets the balance a bit more and this signals the time to put the cigar down.
    Burn to the band. 1hour 20 min.

Burn: 8
    Draw: 9
    Aftertaste: 7
    Construction: 8
    Balance: 7
    Feel: 8

Overall: 8.0
    3 smoke rings -- an average cigar
    6-10-09 no time in the humidor
    AVO Maduro No.9 (4 ¾ x 48)
    Wrapper: Connecticut broadleaf Maduro
    Binder: Dominican Republic
    Filler: Dominican Republic

The wrapper is dark and toothy. It feels thick and oily. The smell is a sweeter earth version of barnyard.

The lick on the cap has a bit of spice to it. Cut with my punch. The draw is perfect. The taste of the un-lit draw is earth and chocolate.

The first few puffs have a bit of coffee, some spice, and there is a fair amount of musk to it.

The ash is loose and the cigar is burning like it has been slightly over humidified. This doesn’t seem to affect its flavor. There is an underlying generic fruit taste. This cigar is not as complex as any other AVO I have had in the past.

I feel that there is too much leather in this cigar. Since I don’t view this as the main flavor I feel that it is out of balance. It either needs to be a bit sweeter or lose some of the leather.

Just past the mid point and the flavor hasn’t changed much. It has smoothed out a bit. The spice soon fades away completely.

The cigar ends with about the same.
    I expect more from AVO.

Burn: 8
    Draw: 10
    Aftertaste:8
    Balance: 8
    Feel: 7
    Construction: 9

Overall: 8.4
    3 smoke rings -- an average cigar

oh crap.

i just now noticed that i didnt put the review of the Indian Tabac Anniversary Limited Reserve in here.

when i get back from work if i have time....
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    oh crap.

i just now noticed that i didnt put the review of the Indian Tabac Anniversary Limited Reserve in here.

when i get back from work if i have time....

Thats really slack of you Kuzi...I'm flabbergasted ...;)