Home Ratings & Reviews

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    Selfish lazy so-n-so.... I enjoy reading your reviews, but if it's more like work than fun to write them, don't write them. We'll learn to cope. No need to smoke and not get the opportunity to enjoy it.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    Kuzi,
    I thoroughly enjoy your reviews and will miss the frequent updates.
    This only means that when you do post a review it will be a cherished occasion.
    I personally thank you for posting your catalog for all to review! I myself have used this to help guide my way through my re-start up and passion for smoking cigars.

Unfortunately you completely steered me wrong in the RP V. Ghurka debate! HA! Only partially kidding.
    For my taste buds anyway, I prefer Rocky.
    I will be dusting off another Centurian soon and will let everyon know how that turns out.

I will miss your daily/weekly reviews on here, but COMPLETELY understand that this is no longer a relaxing experience for you and agree with your position.

• madurofanmadurofan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 6,152
    Kuzi I understand completely brother. I've said many times that reviewing takes away from the joy of smoking a cigar for me.
  • coastalforucoastalforu Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hi Folks. What do you suggest for a newbie? I want a mild flavor with no aftertaste the next morning. I'm not a smoker, but want to try it. Thanks
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    coastalforu:
    Hi Folks. What do you suggest for a newbie? I want a mild flavor with no aftertaste the next morning. I'm not a smoker, but want to try it. Thanks
    5 Vegas Gold. Perdomo 10th Reserve Champagne. Cusano 18 Connecticut. Arturo Fuente standard line.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    madurofan:
    Kuzi I understand completely brother. I've said many times that reviewing takes away from the joy of smoking a cigar for me.
    me too. I'd agree with that.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    coastalforu:
    im not sure how much of this thread you have read through, but take the time and read a bit of it. i cant tell you what you will like but i can tell you what i like and what i think it tastes like. some people think im good at this reviewing thing....

some dont.
    you can decide for yourself.

• TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    I'd noticed you weren't updating this thread much. You are 100% right - you should enjoy your smokes first - then if you feel like reviewing something, add it in here for our enjoyment.
  • nickgonzonickgonzo Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 146
    Hey kuzi, if you take a look at the first page of your amback thread I actually followed most of your reviews back then. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to review cigars. I have a year or so of reviews to read back on but I've always enjoyed reading the reviews. Cheers brother, Nick
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    Just wanted to say thanks for doing as much as you have. As a noob, I am still working my way through this thread. I'll look forward to the rare occasions when you do post a new review.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 676
    I have smoked quite a few of these, as I can get them veeery cheap, I enjoy them, little spice, nothing very complex. If I was paying full price for them I would definitely pass for something else. I am also very new to cigars, and tasting. Trying to establish my palate so it's a little more refined.
    letsgowithbob:
    I have smoked quite a few of these, as I can get them veeery cheap, I enjoy them, little spice, nothing very complex. If I was paying full price for them I would definitely pass for something else. I am also very new to cigars, and tasting. Trying to establish my palate so it's a little more refined.
    if you can get the red dot on the cheap then its worth it to me, but of you cant i would rather smoke a Fuente or 5 vegas Classic if you like that flavor profile.
    in the thread *uck*t list i made a list of cigars that i wanted to try before i died, but would never get to simply because they are so rare that i would probably never get to see one, let alone buy one. i can now cross off the original release AVO 22.

here is the review:

AVO 22 Perfecto (5 7/8” x 50 )
    Wrapper: Connecticut seed Ecuadorian Grown
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Four filler leaves all from different areas of the Dominican Republic

The cigar is not banded, nor does it have cellophane. The wrapper appears a bit dull. it is smooth and has very little smell to it while not lit. I cut it with a double guillotine. The draw is perfect. There is a mild hay and cedar taste to the cigar while not lit.

The first draws of the cigar are mildly woody and coffee with a bit of the “Kelner musk,” mostly on the finish, to it. It is very smooth with no hint of spice, even through the nose. Somehow the flavor is still round.

I lost the first ash accidentally to a nudge at about ¾ of an inch.

Nearing the half way point a rich earthy taste develops as the wood fades in and out. The musk is always there. The draw is still perfect, the burn is perfect to this point. The aroma is unbelievable. It has a unique smell to it. the smell is similar to being in the woods. There is a caramelized butter flavor that is going on as well.

As it enters the final third a mild cinnamon flavor develops. This is only on the palate. Through the nose it is not noticeable at all. There is never any spice or burn in the nose even if all of the smoke leaves through the nose. Its just pure aroma/flavor. This is by far the smoothest cigar I have ever had. A few corrective lights are needed but nothing major.

The cigars final draws are a tiny bit hot and a bit more cinnamon but other then that it ended much the way it began: smooth, woody, and with the “Kelner musk”

Burn to the burn.

Burn: 9
    Draw: 10
    Taste: 10
    Aftertaste: 9
    Appearance: 10
    Balance: 10
    Construction: 10
    Feel: 10

Overall: 9.7

Nice review. What was the burn time?
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it so much, kuz. It's great when something like that turns out to be as good as you were hoping.
    cabinetmaker:
    Nice review. What was the burn time?
    about 3 hours or so.
    Nice, I'll have to get a box.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,378
    Heh, a 9.7? Wow - is this the highest rated in your catalog now? I think you said your Opus X was a 9.5. Truly an awesome thing that you got to smoke one of these.
    kuzi16:
    I lost the first ash accidentally to a nudge at about ¾ of an inch.
    And I ashed in my lap...
  • bbc020bbc020 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    Burn to the burn.
    I thought for sure you were going to keep the nub for later. It was great to see a fellow BOTL enjoy a long sought after stick. I'm glad it was all that it was cracked up to be and more.
    cabinetmaker:
    Nice, I'll have to get a box.
    HA! good luck with that.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    What did that puppy set you back? How was the body throughout the cigar? Same mild med?
    Fourtotheflush:
    What did that puppy set you back? How was the body throughout the cigar? Same mild med?
    i paid nothing for it. it was given as a gift.

the body was mild all the way through. it did build to a fuller mild by the end but it was still very mild.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    What is "Kelner Musk?" This is the first time I've heard this used in a review.
  • urbinourbino Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,517
    It's a pheromone, known to be irresistible to cigar smokers.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    urbino:
    It's a pheromone, known to be irresistible to cigar smokers.
    Oh. So it smelt like a cigar.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    clearlysuspect:
    Urbi is yanking your chain, Kelner musk refers to the blender, Hendrik Kelner who crafts Avo cigars, as well as other fine cigars. There is an interesting article from February 28th 2007 right here on C.com newsletter forum that I stumbled upon recently that mentions Kelner and his method of blending so many fine cigars.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    Sounds like a good smoke. Can you get me one? LOL!
    kaspera79:
    clearlysuspect:
    Urbi is yanking your chain, Kelner musk refers to the blender, Hendrik Kelner who crafts Avo cigars, as well as other fine cigars. There is an interesting article from February 28th 2007 right here on C.com newsletter forum that I stumbled upon recently that mentions Kelner and his method of blending so many fine cigars.
    thats exactly what i mean by the kelner musk. he has a distinct blending style and the musk is part of it. if you are not familiar with it, get yourself an Avo, a Davidoff, a griffin and find out for yourself.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Mmmmmm Kelner Musk...

It's kinda like when you notice a Stripper fart... Yeah it smells, but she's hot and you paid $20, so you ain't saying nuthin'
  • HaysHays Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,262
    Lasabar:
    Mmmmmm Kelner Musk...

It's kinda like when you notice a Stripper fart... Yeah it smells, but she's hot and you paid $20, so you ain't saying nuthin'
    oh wow...lol