Home General Discussion

Diesel Crucible

CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 239
What is the word on this cigar? When is the ETA? I'm anxious to see what AJ has done.

Comments

• jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    hmmmm...I have not heard of this. If its Diesel, I'll def be wanting some!
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Yup, I noticed that in the newsletter as well and am looking forward to getting my hands on a few. Does anyone know if there is any more info out there besides whats in this weeks Ccom newletter?
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    Google didn't find anything yet, no mention of the Diesel Crucible anywhere online expect in the newsletter.
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    only thing i found was a comment, maybe was in the newsletter, i havent read it yet,,,> Diesel Crucible: A limited, one time run of about 10,000 cigars. We can’t reveal all of the secrets that make this cigar so rare, but one component is a very special filler leaf grown in Honduras. At the onset of the embargo, as tobacco growers and cigar makers fled Cuba, many came to Honduras in search of new land. Most initially settled in an area outside Copan, Honduras where they grew tobacco for several years due to the climate which they felt most rivaled their native Cuba. However, after several successful crops, disease and mold set in, thus rendering the land unusable, forcing growers into regions in other parts of Copan, Jamastrán and Talanga. Almost a decade ago, one particular grower returned to the region, planting various test crops with different seeds engineered to resist the diseases plaguing the tobaccos decades before. After years of failure, the first successful test crop was harvested in 2010 and the results were fantastic. The entire first crop from 2010 was purchased by AJ Fernandez and some was set aside just for Diesel Crucible. This tobacco is strong, robust and a great throwback tobacco from a bygone era that imparts a unique taste. Diesel Crucible will come in only one size, a large torpedo that’s complex and rich with competing flavors ranging from spice and earth to leather and nuts. Crucible takes Diesel to a whole new level.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,493
    Sounds like something I'd like.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    A single size, a one-time limited run... sounds like Diesel wants this to be their version of MoW's Armada.

• MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    The Sniper:
    A single size, a one-time limited run... sounds like Diesel wants this to be their version of MoW's Armada.

As long as it is not $10 a stick I am up for it. Otherwise they better send out free samples before I come near them. Like the CC market. RE and LE cigars that charge more money but are not necessisarily better than the regular edition. I hope this is not the case.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    They are really, really good. As for it being a limited/special release, my understanding is that it is a premium entry in the Diesel line, and given the tobacco involved, no, it is not going to be a 3$ cigar. But you are getting what you are paying for. I think a lot of guys here are going to be really into them.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    docbp87:
    They are really, really good. As for it being a limited/special release, my understanding is that it is a premium entry in the Diesel line, and given the tobacco involved, no, it is not going to be a 3$ cigar. But you are getting what you are paying for. I think a lot of guys here are going to be really into them.

Have you tried them? I thought they weren't out yet...
  • 90+ Irishman90+ Irishman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,868
    allsmokedup:
    docbp87:

If Doc has tried them I would bet that it was at the Vegas Big Smoke... Doc, care to clear this up?
    90+ Irishman:
    allsmokedup:
    docbp87:

If Doc has tried them I would bet that it was at the Vegas Big Smoke... Doc, care to clear this up?
    Had nothing to do with Big Smoke, but I have had them, and they are great. Really interesting flavors.
  • asianbiker8asianbiker8 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 551
    If the crucible is anything like the unlimited or original diesel, it will be awesome. Looking foward to it.
  • JSaintJSaint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,848
    I need this NOW.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,971
    JSaint:
    I need this NOW.
    Agreed, will def be getting some of these the second they become available!
  • jsnakejsnake Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,037
    I am not a huge Diesel fan but I still want to try these.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    I'm a big Unholy Cocktail fan. Don't care for the Unlimited. Hopefully this is an AJ winner because when AJ makes a winner, its a big time winner.
  • Andrew DzikoskiAndrew Dzikoski BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 338
    I was able to get my hands on a sample cigar from the test blends in short it maybe the best thing I have smoked all year.
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    I was able to get my hands on a sample cigar from the test blends in short it maybe the best thing I have smoked all year.
    Translation. It will cost $14 each.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Marker:
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Translation. It will cost $14 each.
    Last time we heard a bold statement like that, we later learned it would be near impossibe to obtain. (ie) Alec Bradley Fine and Rare. You must say "This stick Suckks", and we will know you are speaking in code.
  • Andrew DzikoskiAndrew Dzikoski BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users, Trusted Users Posts: 338
    I don't think they will be that bad but either way sub $15 will be more than worth it for this smoke.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    I don't think they will be that bad but either way sub $15 will be more than worth it for this smoke.
    Thanks for Sharing man. And I think Diesel adding a higher end stick to the lineup is a good move, based on the fact that they have two exceptional middle of the road smokes already. I'm really looking forward to this. Are we looking early 2012 or middle?
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Correction, they will be $14.95 :)
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    not really sure why everyone is so focused on the price of these. the Armada sold so darn fast and it was $20 a stick. they will put these in a sampler that will save money, I'm sure of it.
    dennisking:
    not really sure why everyone is so focused on the price of these. the Armada sold so darn fast and it was $20 a stick. they will put these in a sampler that will save money, I'm sure of it.
    Not everyone. Only Marker seems butthurt that not every cigar is a 2 dollar dog rocket.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    dennisking:
    I'm one of those people who bought a whole box plus some extra before the box was available then got the 3 free from the cotm club.
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    I wouldn't go THAT far, but the samples I smoked were definitely good, complex, and very unique.
    docbp87:
    dennisking:
    Not everyone. Only Marker seems butthurt that not every cigar is a 2 dollar dog rocket.
    I agree with Marker in the sense that they already have a great smoke that you can get for $2.50(the regular or unltd), just debating weather this will be 4x better to justify the price. Not saying I wont get a 5pack or at least 3, because I will, but I wouldn't knock finding deals/steals on cigars...and Marker doesn't smoke dog rockets or possess them last time I checked
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    docbp87:
    dennisking:
    I agree with Marker in the sense that they already have a great smoke that you can get for $2.50(the regular or unltd), just debating weather this will be 4x better to justify the price. Not saying I wont get a 5pack or at least 3, because I will, but I wouldn't knock finding deals/steals on cigars...and Marker doesn't smoke dog rockets or possess them last time I checked
    Being 4 times better is far too subjective to actually ever quantify. Containing tobacco that cost AJF and CCom/CI 4 times as much as the tobacco used in the Unlimited, or UHC can be quantified and confirmed. It isn't more expensive because it is better. It is more expensive because the tobacco used to produce the stick is more expensive the source.

As for pricing on cigars, that's just the way the world works. There are Scotches that cost 10 dollars a bottle, and Lagavulin at 90 dollars a bottle. There are all kinds of reasons for the difference in price, but if there's one thing that annoys me, its dudes who *** about the pricing of luxury products like cigars (or craft beer, or watches, or whisky, or any of the other kinds of stuff most guys who are gonna post on a board like this enjoy to at least some degree). There is always a cheaper alternative, and a more expensive alternative. That's just the way it is. There are plenty of inexpensive cigars out there on the market that anyone can afford to smoke, that are excellent options, just like there are plenty of cigars out there that are absolutely horrible, and cost more than my rent! The reality is that cigars are a luxury, hand made product. They aren't all cheap. The reality is that most cigars on the market fall between the 6 and 10 dollar range per stick, with exceptions at either end of that spectrum, and if you can't hang with that, or don't want to, then your expectations of this hobby might just need to be adjusted.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    i wonder are these the same perfecto shaped diesels we saw a few weeks back on the forums??
    docbp87:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    docbp87:
    dennisking:
    Being 4 times better is far too subjective to actually ever quantify. Containing tobacco that cost AJF and CCom/CI 4 times as much as the tobacco used in the Unlimited, or UHC can be quantified and confirmed. It isn't more expensive because it is better. It is more expensive because the tobacco used to produce the stick is more expensive the source.

As for pricing on cigars, that's just the way the world works. There are Scotches that cost 10 dollars a bottle, and Lagavulin at 90 dollars a bottle. There are all kinds of reasons for the difference in price, but if there's one thing that annoys me, its dudes who *** about the pricing of luxury products like cigars (or craft beer, or watches, or whisky, or any of the other kinds of stuff most guys who are gonna post on a board like this enjoy to at least some degree). There is always a cheaper alternative, and a more expensive alternative. That's just the way it is. There are plenty of inexpensive cigars out there on the market that anyone can afford to smoke, that are excellent options, just like there are plenty of cigars out there that are absolutely horrible, and cost more than my rent! The reality is that cigars are a luxury, hand made product. They aren't all cheap. The reality is that most cigars on the market fall between the 6 and 10 dollar range per stick, with exceptions at either end of that spectrum, and if you can't hang with that, or don't want to, then your expectations of this hobby might just need to be adjusted.
    I'm not going to get into the economics of price increases and justifications in a thread but I understand your point and I hope you get mine. With cigars a lot of what you pay is directly related to what you get, minus a few brands. I am not b*tching about the price and have absolutely 0 problem paying for a premium product, as long as it is justified...and once more is released and confirmed about the cigar I'm sure I will bite. You can say the tobacco is more expensive to the source, but it is more expensive for a reason, hence why the source priced it that way. I am not sticking up for Marker what so ever, just agreeing that hopefully the price matches the product. It isn't my decision what they sell it at, just an opinion in how I value the cigar versus the market price.