Home General Discussion

Good Gurkhas

scarlinscarlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,592
So I see all this Gurkha talk and get some in trades and stuff, but I never really looked into them since there are like 100 different cigars.

What Gurkhas are good and which are ones to avoid? Also what is Good/Bad about the brand?

I am not searching through 3242390 threads on 48998320 different Gurkha.

Comments

• ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I personally like the Regent, Legend, Titan II, Centurian, Grand Envoy and the Park Ave Maduro. With their consistency issues even when I smoke them I don't know if I will like them
  • jlmartajlmarta Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,440
    Well, I like the Park Avenue for a mild smoke. Haven't tried the Maduro version yet. Also like the Centurian which, if I can believe the hype, is supposed to be the daily smoke for the Sultan of Brunei. Sounds good, anyway, doesn't it?
  • jkallen83jkallen83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 142
    The best I've found so far is the Gurkha Centurian ....GREAT smoke.
  • Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    Triple Maduro is solid as are all of the empire series IMHO.
  • wwesternwwestern Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,386
    Centurian's the only one I'll set fire to.
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Alex Svenson:
    I havent tried all the empire series but the ones Ive tried Ive liked, 1 4 and 6, fav being the 1. I also like the Beast, Black Dragon, and Legend, Titan is good too but prefer the Beast. Just smoked a Gran(d) Reserve this morning and it was good, The Gran Reserves not the same and the Grand are good for a daily mild stick. Some of the Microbatch are pretty good, AJ blend, I also like the Park Ave another AJ blend
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    The Kid:
    Alex Svenson:
    I havent tried all the empire series but the ones Ive tried Ive liked, 1 4 and 6, fav being the 1. I also like the Beast, Black Dragon, and Legend, Titan is good too but prefer the Beast. Just smoked a Gran(d) Reserve this morning and it was good, The Gran Reserves not the same and the Grand are good for a daily mild stick. Some of the Microbatch are pretty good, AJ blend, I also like the Park Ave another AJ blend
    I forgot about the black dragon when I posted. I do like the black dragon esp the robusto. It's great in that lil 4.5x52
  • jj20030jj20030 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,448
    i liked the centurian, and the empire V, loved the doble maduro i had and did not like the triple ligero, , the micro batch-1 i had was ok,i have a few more i need to try of the empire series in the humi, not sure which ones they are and a couple titans too, my gurks experience is very limited,lol , well , all the gurks talk im going to have a blue steel toro tonight i got in a trade that whoever i got it from was dated 12/29/09
    well the color of the band i thought it was a blue steel, after looking it says on the sides centenary blend , anyone ever had one ? i assume its not a blue steel? image
  • The KidThe Kid Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,842
    Hell IDK looks like a Blue Steel to me,,Smoke it, if its meh its probably a blue steel,,
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,587
    My personal favorites are the Regent, Legend, Symphony, Park Ave. Connie, Cuban Legacy and Sherpa Cafe.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    the earlier the blend came ot ofr gurkha, the more i tend to like it. that being said, i am ok with the regent, the centurion, and the legend. beyond that im not too impressed. i used to like many more and was a huge proponent of gurkha. the number of blends they have wasnt so much the issue but the newer blends didnt seem to have the unique individuality that many of the original blends did. even the ones that did taste good after that began to have burn and draw issues for me on a regular basis.

given the image that they try to put out, and the MSRP that they are asking, i feel that i can get many more unique, and better construction for the same price.

not to be total hater and down on two brands but i still like gurkha better that Rocky Patel.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    My favs ... Centurian , Titan , Rare Breed ... the rare breeds are hit and miss though , bought a fiver and 3 were very good and 2 sucked - didn't even taste like the same cigar !!!
    well i wish i could remember where i got this one? def. the best gurk ive had yet!! imageimageimageimage
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    gmill880:
    My favs ... Centurian , Titan , Rare Breed ... the rare breeds are hit and miss though , bought a fiver and 3 were very good and 2 sucked - didn't even taste like the same cigar !!!
    Yeah Geno, I hate when you buy a fiver and it become a variety pack. It happened once for me with Blue Steel.. Not to say I didn't like them, just a wide profile in the group.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,121
    Lets see...the Centurian, Titan, Beast, Black Dragon, Ancient Warrior were all good smokes. Just watch the price and search around. Gurkhas can be over priced horribly but you can usually catch a good deal around here.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    kuzi16:
    the earlier the blend came ot ofr gurkha, the more i tend to like it.
    Couldn't agree with you more Kuzi, with the exception of the empire series and the park avenue.

I haven't tried a lot of the more popular lines (Titan, Legend, Beauty, Centurian) but the Gurkha lines that I enjoy the most are the Masters Select perfectos, Regent, Park Avenue Connie, and the Empire Series (espcially the two Connies), but all in all its a brand that I used to enjoy more than I currently do, for whatever its worth. I do however, have to point out that aside from the cuban legacy, I haven't hated any of them so if you can get a decent deal and the description sounds tasty you could do worse than to pick some up and try for yourself.

let us know what you think.
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 503
    Most I have had have just been ok. The only one that I would buy on its own when I'm in the mood for something different would be the Evil.
    spicy, now chewy and cocoa flavor coming out, awesome image
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    I really liked the Empire series the best and just tried my first beauty really like that to.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    I have said this many times on here, empire 4 & 6, Blue steel, evil, Cuban Legacy (San Andreas Wrapper is great) and Park Ave Maduro.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    I like the Titan and the Beast. A guy I kow from my B&M was talking up the Grand Age one day so I'd like to give that a try. Nothing from their line has really wowed me, though.
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 84
    I liked the Beauty, Signature Maduro, Crest, Symphony, Centurian. But had so much trouble with consistancy that I have given up on ordering them. The Crest for example; the first one I had was not good at all, later I recieved one in a sampler and it was really, really great... so much so I ordered a 10 pack. Well the 10 pack I purchased didn't taste like either of the first two I tried and were very disappointing. Out of all that I have tried the Beauty seemed to be the most consistant.
    still thinking that what i had was a blue steel, anyone have a blue steel does it say centenary blend on the band ?
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,484
    jj20030:
    still thinking that what i had was a blue steel, anyone have a blue steel does it say centenary blend on the band ?
    It is a blue steel, one of my early fav's. First cigar that gave me cinnamon, love that taiste.
    firetruckguy:
    jj20030:
    It is a blue steel, one of my early fav's. First cigar that gave me cinnamon, love that taiste.
    thanks, when i see a deal ill pick up some
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    I'm a Gurkha fan, although I know not everyone is :) My favs include Park Ave, Regent, Black Dragon, Beauty, Ninja, Beast, and Centurian.
  • StrongStyleStrongStyle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 221
    love the black dragons. have a couple crests sitting in the humi to try.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Seems I may be in the minority on some of these. The beast/beauty/titan/turk/red dragon/green dragon/dragonfire/corniche/platinum reserve... Rested/aged Blue steels are nice as well. These are my go toos.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    phobicsquirrel:
    Seems I may be in the minority on some of these. The beast/beauty/titan/turk/red dragon/green dragon/dragonfire/corniche/platinum reserve... Rested/aged Blue steels are nice as well. These are my go toos.
    Buddy, have you tried the Legend 2001 yet? I really liked it.