Home General Discussion

scotch drinkers

szeligaszeliga Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 32
Has anyone tried Laphroaig 10yr cask and if so how does it compare to Laphroaig quarter cask?

Comments

• robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    I am actually 3/4 through a bottle of Laphroaig 10 year old... not sure if it's cask or not... actually i knew nothing about it until my wife came home with a bottle for me... it's SUPER smokey... I've had it for at LEAST a year and don't drink it too often... It's one that I really have to be in the mood for... to be honest I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me... far different from any other scotch I have had, that's for sure
  • RhamlinRhamlin Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,530
    Nope never heard of it. Is it blended or single malt. I'm a blended man myself.My favorite is Dimple Pinch 15yr old. It's a little sweeter than most with a good peat flavor to it.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    I haven't had the 10 year in cask strength, but the regular 10 yr is a little bolder and hotter than the quarter cask. I imagine that the cask strength will be a little hotter yet. Quarter Cask is my go-to scotch, though Ross brought some Tallisker 10yr to our last herf that is damn fine.
  • CvilleECvilleE Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,177
    Rhamlin:
    Nope never heard of it. Is it blended or single malt. I'm a blended man myself.My favorite is Dimple Pinch 15yr old. It's a little sweeter than most with a good peat flavor to it.
    gonna try this based on ur recommendation......it is hard to find good scotch in the Ville by the way....tryin not to get off topic too much
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    The Cask is definitely hotter than the Quarter cask. More youth, more heat... and just different. I am not a huge Islay drinker, and when I drink Laphroaig, I tend to just drink the regular Laph 10 yr. old. The Quarter Cask is definitely an interesting, and in my opinion, successful concept.
    I love it, goes great with a good gar and has a reasonable price tag. Cool bottle to.
    docbp87:
    The Cask is definitely hotter than the Quarter cask. More youth, more heat... and just different. I am not a huge Islay drinker, and when I drink Laphroaig, I tend to just drink the regular Laph 10 yr. old. The Quarter Cask is definitely an interesting, and in my opinion, successful concept.
    I'm curious about these now don't think I've seen them around.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,707
    Wow! Drinking Laphroaig 10 yr tonight. My favorite. Haven't had the quarter cask yet.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    Do you guys have a smoke with it? if so, what do you smoke? I've always wanted to pair a smoke with it but never have.
  • szeligaszeliga Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 32
    I have only had the regular 10yr and to be honest I haven't found a good pairing that i liked yet
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 503
    My current favorite single malt is the glenlivet 21 year archive. Glass smooth with hints of vanilla.
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    havent tried the laphreig but the ardbeg10 is a great peaty and complex islay malt!
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    Since we're talking about Islays, I enjoy the Lagavulin 16 and the Lagavulin 12 yr cask strength. Both need a few drops of water to release all the flavors and the 12 hits hard at 63% ABV. Smokey, briney, flavors of the sea almost.

I have an unopened Ardberg 10 at home calling for me... can't wait for that.
    A good cheap Islay that won't slay whoever wants to try some peaty Islays (probably all of them) is the Bowmore Legend.

I don't believe I've had any Laphroaig, but I eventually will complete my tour of Islay.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    I'm a big Islay fan. I keep Lagavulin 15 and Ardbeg10 in my wine cabinet. They pair all with some of the Maduro spice bombs.
  • szeligaszeliga Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 32
    allsmokedup:
    Since we're talking about Islays, I enjoy the Lagavulin 16 and the Lagavulin 12 yr cask strength. Both need a few drops of water to release all the flavors and the 12 hits hard at 63% ABV. Smokey, briney, flavors of the sea almost.

I have an unopened Ardberg 10 at home calling for me... can't wait for that.
    A good cheap Islay that won't slay whoever wants to try some peaty Islays (probably all of them) is the Bowmore Legend.

I don't believe I've had any Laphroaig, but I eventually will complete my tour of Islay.
    Lagavulin has been one on my list that I would like to try, I am a huge fan of Islay malts as well
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    beatnic:
    I'm a big Islay fan. I keep Lagavulin 15 and Ardbeg10 in my wine cabinet. They pair all with some of the Maduro spice bombs.
    nice choices on the Lagavulin and Ardbeg. I'm an Islay, Isle of Skye, and Campbeltown drinker as well. I love the smoke and peat. if you like Ardbeg, try the Correyvrecken and Uiegadail from Ardbeg. They are awesome single malts. Also, for an affordable Islay, the Laphroiag Quarter Cask is great. If you like Islay malts, try the Longrow CV from Campbelltown region. Very affordable and has a lot of Islay characteristics.

I've had a ton of different whiskys from all the regions and I've finally settled on the Islay as my region of choice.

I just drooled a little bit.
    Correyvrecken and Uiegadail? What do these names refer to? locations?
    the Correyvrecken is a whirlpool off the coast and the ueigaidail is a pond i believe. can't remember. it's all on Arbeg's website. Correy will melt your face off, in a good way of course
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    dennisking:
    the Correyvrecken is a whirlpool off the coast and the ueigaidail is a pond i believe. can't remember. it's all on Arbeg's website. Correy will melt your face off, in a good way of course
    If it tastes as good as it looks, its gotta be good.
  • doromathdoromath Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 576
    As for pairing Laphroaig with cigars my answer is yes. I have paired it both with spice bombs and smooth connies with great results personally. I actually like it better with a smoother cigar as I find the cigar serves to add more depth to the scotch, rather than creating something new.
    Agreed doromath. The Laphroiag is smoother than most people think and pairs well with all medium to full sticks as well as full flavor milds.
    drinking Dalwhinnie tonight with a Ruination. Works well if the scotch is neat
  • NightHawkNightHawk Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 246
    bowmore legend is another great islay malt, great bang for the buck. but for a few dollars more, i would choose the ardbeg. havent explored any of the laugavulin or laphroaig. either of which is probably going to be my next purchase.
    NightHawk:
    bowmore legend is another great islay malt, great bang for the buck. but for a few dollars more, i would choose the ardbeg. havent explored any of the laugavulin or laphroaig. either of which is probably going to be my next purchase.
    Lagavulin 16yr is spendy but damn good. The Laphroaig Quarter Cask is one of my favorites as well and is a really great go-to scotch.
  • camgfscamgfs Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 967
    My current bottle (as I never have more than one in the cabinet) is The Glenlivet NADURRA, 16 year, natural cask strength. When it's empty, I'll get something else. Honestly, I'm not sure I ever had a scotch that I didn't like, cause they're all empty except this one.....but I'ma workin on it!!

I will usually drink some sort of beer (IPA, Lager) with a cigar, but I find that I enjoy a Scotch with just about any kind of cigar.

Nadurra is great. If you like it, try Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or. Tonight I will have Dalmore and Laphroiag Quarter Cask.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 738
    I tried a glass of Laphroaig 10 last night, pretty good! Not as intense as the Lagavulin though, that's my baseline for all Islay scotches.
  • MarkerMarker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,524
    I love the Lappy 10. I have a Glenfiddich 12 currently. When my scotch gets down to about 3 servings left I get another bottle. That takes about 2 months since I don't drink often.