Home General Discussion

what do you think of this?.....(cuban cigars)

2»

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    I think it would be very interesting to see how opinions on this subject are formed, I'd be curious to see what the ratio of Cuban cigars smoked to Non Cuban cigars smoked that comparrisons are made...Please feel free to give ball park numbers...
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Diamondog:
    I think it would be very interesting to see how opinions on this subject are formed, I'd be curious to see what the ratio of Cuban cigars smoked to Non Cuban cigars smoked that comparrisons are made...Please feel free to give ball park numbers...
    Agreed... if nothing else, the crops from 2008 on have been nothing short of phenomenal, and smoke better younger than ever before.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    Diamondog:
    I'd say that this subject is never going to get a fair shake in the states because we cant give them the same chances that people elsewhere can. I am not paying an exorbitant amount for a bunch of cigars that may or may not make it to me. I will say this, while I was overseas, I smoked as many as I could. I am still not swayed to the thinking that Cubans are phenomenal! Some of them were good, and some of them were ok (just like the ones from everywhere else, but I don't believe any of the ones I smoked were properly cared for!). I am not saying I will stop smoking them, I will whenever I can, I am just saying that they don't IMO seem to be of any higher caliber.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Another myth... that Cuban cigars are more expensive than Non-Cubans... In fact, there are probably more high quality, low cost Cuban cigars, proportionally, than non-Cubans... Think about how many off label, unsmokeable, low quality sticks there are out there. Classics like the Partagas Serie D. No. 4 can be readily found for 7 dollars or less. I bought a box of 9 year old LGC Mdo No.1's a few weeks ago, for less than 200$. Try finding comparably aged, blended, and developed Non-Cuban cigars for that price. The reality is that there is cheap crap everywhere, from Dominicans to Cubans to Nicaraguans. There are also overpriced labels and boxes cigars, from everywhere...
  • BigT06BigT06 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,899
    docbp87:
    Another myth... that Cuban cigars are more expensive than Non-Cubans... In fact, there are probably more high quality, low cost Cuban cigars, proportionally, than non-Cubans... Think about how many off label, unsmokeable, low quality sticks there are out there. Classics like the Partagas Serie D. No. 4 can be readily found for 7 dollars or less. I bought a box of 9 year old LGC Mdo No.1's a few weeks ago, for less than 200$. Try finding comparably aged, blended, and developed Non-Cuban cigars for that price. The reality is that there is cheap crap everywhere, from Dominicans to Cubans to Nicaraguans. There are also overpriced labels and boxes cigars, from everywhere...
    where do you purchase your CC from?
    Diamondog:
    I have a good friend stationed in Germany right now. He has access to any and all cigars, and says that hands-down he still prefers Nicaraguan cigars.

I don't have many CC, but I've never had one that was "irreplacable"... but keep in mind, I've prob only had a dozen or so CC in my entire life. They were all highly recommended by seasoned smokers, though... just my 2 cents.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    BigT06:
    I don't have many CC, but I've never had one that was "irreplacable"...
    This was my attitude towards ISOMs for a long time, but I kept trying them here and there, and a few months ago I had one that totally blew me away. They make some fantastic sticks, and some really average sticks. Pretty much like every other countrie's tobacco.

The folks who close themselves off to anything that isn't Cuban are just silly.

Edit: I'm sick and medicated so that all may not have been worded perfecting, but hopefully you guys get what I mean.
    Russ55:
    BigT06:
    I don't have many CC, but I've never had one that was "irreplacable"...
    This was my attitude towards ISOMs for a long time, but I kept trying them here and there, and a few months ago I had one that totally blew me away. They make some fantastic sticks, and some really average sticks. Pretty much like every other countrie's tobacco.

The folks who close themselves off to anything that isn't Cuban are just silly.

Edit: I'm sick and medicated so that all may not have been worded perfecting, but hopefully you guys get what I mean.
    lol...

totally makes sense. I am certainly not opposed to CC, and would be lying if I said I didn't get excited every time I get to try one... I just haven't had that moment with a CC *YET*. Maybe it will happen, but they are gonna struggle to find space in my humi simply due to the fact that there are so many good cigars available, that are hassle free, and are irreplacable to me already...