Home General Discussion

SCHIP Tax

13»

Comments

• SmokeRingSmokeRing Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 61
  • Kr;egKr;eg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1
    I just got my box of Swisher Sweet Cigars with Peach Flavor!  I got them in just before the SCHIP took effect.   Great smokes guy you should give them a try.  I age mine in my humidor for 2 days and then  enjoy!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Kr;eg:
    I just got my box of Swisher Sweet Cigars with Peach Flavor!  I got them in just before the SCHIP took effect.   Great smokes guy you should give them a try.  I age mine in my humidor for 2 days and then  enjoy!
    Hey Kr;eg... I don't think you need to age them that long, same day is fine with swishers, You don't want to lose any of that peachy goodness.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    kaspera79:
    Kr;eg:
    Hey Kr;eg... I don't think you need to age them that long, same day is fine with swishers, You don't want to lose any of that peachy goodness.
    wow, peach flavor aye.. well enjoy bro.... (shakes head)...
  • ScottUScottU Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 194
    kuzi16:
    ScottU:
    So am I reading that there is a 40 cent limit per stick? I'm not for taxing things, but it doesn't seem too bad...
    im sure its only the beginning. i dont know about the rest of you but, ill fight every step of the way. its a series of "not that bad" tax hikes that will soon add up to a good chunk.

they never want less taxes only more.
    I totally agree Kuz, I was in no way saying that I agree with more taxes or that I like it :) By the way everyone was talking about stocking up and what not I was starting to get a little worried, but if it's a maximum of 40 cents I was just shocked, that's all. Is there anything a person can do you fight taxation?
    ScottU:
    kuzi16:
    ScottU:
    So am I reading that there is a 40 cent limit per stick? I'm not for taxing things, but it doesn't seem too bad...
    im sure its only the beginning. i dont know about the rest of you but, ill fight every step of the way. its a series of "not that bad" tax hikes that will soon add up to a good chunk.

they never want less taxes only more.
    I totally agree Kuz, I was in no way saying that I agree with more taxes or that I like it :) By the way everyone was talking about stocking up and what not I was starting to get a little worried, but if it's a maximum of 40 cents I was just shocked, that's all. Is there anything a person can do you fight taxation?
    good question, well I think no. Well if people were in office who weren't all gun hoe about raising taxes for money and instead focused on bringing income in via other ways then I guess that's one way. Though good luck with that.
    I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I was reading in a cigar catalog today that the SCHIP Tax has already been added to current prices of cigars so it looks like a lot of this has been already included with the regular price. I wonder if anyone else can confirm this?
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    SCHIP really blows ass now if you live in CA. Our sales tax just jumped up. Be nice if someone opened up a B&M on an indian reservation....
  • mustluvcigarsmustluvcigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 686
    I have gotten three catalogs from three different online companies (including CCom toady with my 2 fivers of Limitidas, thanks CCom great deals) only one of them stated prices were subject to change due to SCHIP, so I am assuming as well that the prices had already been adjusted, The two B&M s I go to both said they were waiting till today to adjust prices.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    phobicsquirrel:
    I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I was reading in a cigar catalog today that the SCHIP Tax has already been added to current prices of cigars so it looks like a lot of this has been already included with the regular price. I wonder if anyone else can confirm this?
    I looked at some prices on ccom yesterday for stuff that I have bought in the last few months and it looks like those haven't changed yet. I was looking at the Beautys, Beasts, Anejos, Don Carlos, Hemingways and some other Gurkhas.
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    OK.. Before everybody gets carried away... Allow me to share with you some of the current CCOM prices against what they were in June 2008. How do I know what they were in June 2008? Spreadsheet, baby!

Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real (Toro, Robusto, Churchill):
    2008 - $6.08, $5.50, $5.50 - don't ask me why the Churchill is the same price as the Robusto
    Now - $6.08, $5.50, $5.50

Onyx Reserve (Toro, Robusto, Mini Belicoso):
    2008 - $5.10, $4.80, $5.10
    Now - $5.10, $4.80, $5.10

Oliva Serie O (Torpedo, Robusto, Perfecto):
    2008 - $4.20, $4.20, $5.50
    Now - $6.20, $5.45, $5.75

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 (Toro, Churchill, Robusto, Torpedo):
    2008 - $8.00, $8.00, $7.00, $9.00
    Now - $8.00, $8.00, $7.00, $9.00

Cohiba Red Dot (Churchill, Corona, Robusto, Toro):
    2008 - $15.75, $10.00, $12.60, $12.91
    Now - $15.75, $10.00, $12.60, $12.91

ccom House Blends (Churchill, Toro, Robusto, Corona):
    2008 - $2.65, $2.50, $2.50, $2.85
    Now - $2.65, $2.50, $2.50, $2.85

Gurkha Regent (Robusto, Toro, Churchill):
    2008 - $8.25, $8.75, $9.00
    Now - $6.50, $6.75, $7.00

Gurkha Centurian:
    2008 - $20.00
    Now - $20.00

Montecristo (Churchill, No. 1, No. 2, No. 3):
    2008 - $11.28, $8.40, $13.44, $6.96
    Now - $11.28, $8.40, $13.44, $6.96

THIS TAX IS EATING US ALIVE!!!!! GAHH!!!!!!!

Oh, wait.. no it isn't.... my bad.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    The schip is not a new tax; it has been around for twelve years. This new bill is just an increase and an extension of that existing tax. The last I heard large cigars will be taxed at 44.63% of the importers sales price (pre excise tax) with a cap at $1/cigar. Any cigar selling for more than $2.24 (pre excise tax) will be expensive enough to go straight to the $1 cap.

The original version of the bill had the cap set at $3/cigar so I guess we have a little victory to "celebrate." My local shop owner seems to think existing inventory won't be retro-taxed so we may see prices rise unevenly for a little while depending on each store's business philosophy. The 'roll your own' tobacco is the biggest increase in tax at $7.46/pound! This includes roll your own cigars. Ouch.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    bigharpoon:
    The schip is not a new tax; it has been around for twelve years. This new bill is just an increase and an extension of that existing tax. The last I heard large cigars will be taxed at 44.63% of the importers sales price (pre excise tax) with a cap at $1/cigar. Any cigar selling for more than $2.24 (pre excise tax) will be expensive enough to go straight to the $1 cap.

The original version of the bill had the cap set at $3/cigar so I guess we have a little victory to "celebrate." My local shop owner seems to think existing inventory won't be retro-taxed so we may see prices rise unevenly for a little while depending on each store's business philosophy. The 'roll your own' tobacco is the biggest increase in tax at $7.46/pound! This includes roll your own cigars. Ouch.
    Actually the original bill was a suggestion of $10 per cigar, with it re-written to $3 and then down to what it currently is now. Imagine paying an additional $10 per cigar or even $3? Makes me glad that I have a HUGE inventory. In my opinion, with the way things are going, tobacco tax increases are just going to get higher and higher.
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    bigharpoon:

I was under the impression the cap was .40 cents per cigar unless the shop itself raised it more themselves not the tax
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    gmill880:
    I was under the impression the cap was .40 cents per cigar unless the shop itself raised it more themselves not the tax
    You're right, $.40/cigar it is. I believe states have the power to tack on additional taxes if they choose.

Here's an NPR article with the $.40/cigar stat: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102486102&ft=1&f=1003

I still can't figure out how to post hyper-links. Maybe one of you IT guys could help us stone agers out with how to post links, photos, etc.???
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    bigharpoon:
    gmill880:
    You're right, $.40/cigar it is. I believe states have the power to tack on additional taxes if they choose.

Here's an NPR article with the $.40/cigar stat: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102486102&ft=1&f=1003

I still can't figure out how to post hyper-links. Maybe one of you IT guys could help us stone agers out with how to post links, photos, etc.???
    Well i tried typing the command on here, but it won't show up well enough to satisfy my explaination, so easiest way to tell you how to do it is go to google and type in hyperlink html command.

Just heard on the news today that they were trying to get the FDA to start regulating tobacco products...where the HELL does this end? Maybe it's time for a tobacco party...
    Nice article there. I'm very surprised that this type of thing is able to be legal. That goes for wine/beer/liquor. I don't care what the reason is, there is no reason for it. Call me an A**hole but I don't think by putting kids in the title that it's worth taxing the hell out of things, especially when it's on products that "some" just don't like. If health care is something that is a priority, then go to a national system that seems to be working in most countries, and pay for it by actually manufacturing instead of taxing the hell out of people.
  • JKTexJKTex Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 92
    dutyje:
    OK.. Before everybody gets carried away... Allow me to share with you some of the current CCOM prices against what they were in June 2008. How do I know what they were in June 2008? Spreadsheet, baby!

Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real (Toro, Robusto, Churchill):
    2008 - $6.08, $5.50, $5.50 - don't ask me why the Churchill is the same price as the Robusto
    Now - $6.08, $5.50, $5.50

Onyx Reserve (Toro, Robusto, Mini Belicoso):
    2008 - $5.10, $4.80, $5.10
    Now - $5.10, $4.80, $5.10

Oliva Serie O (Torpedo, Robusto, Perfecto):
    2008 - $4.20, $4.20, $5.50
    Now - $6.20, $5.45, $5.75

Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 (Toro, Churchill, Robusto, Torpedo):
    2008 - $8.00, $8.00, $7.00, $9.00
    Now - $8.00, $8.00, $7.00, $9.00

Cohiba Red Dot (Churchill, Corona, Robusto, Toro):
    2008 - $15.75, $10.00, $12.60, $12.91
    Now - $15.75, $10.00, $12.60, $12.91

ccom House Blends (Churchill, Toro, Robusto, Corona):
    2008 - $2.65, $2.50, $2.50, $2.85
    Now - $2.65, $2.50, $2.50, $2.85

Gurkha Regent (Robusto, Toro, Churchill):
    2008 - $8.25, $8.75, $9.00
    Now - $6.50, $6.75, $7.00

Gurkha Centurian:
    2008 - $20.00
    Now - $20.00

Montecristo (Churchill, No. 1, No. 2, No. 3):
    2008 - $11.28, $8.40, $13.44, $6.96
    Now - $11.28, $8.40, $13.44, $6.96

THIS TAX IS EATING US ALIVE!!!!! GAHH!!!!!!!

Oh, wait.. no it isn't.... my bad.

Not yet anyway.  The increased tax applies doesn't apply to current inventory.  Most places have 2-4 weeks inventory so it may be May before we feel the increase at the retail level.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    Kr;eg:
    Funny James....my name is spelled krIeg