Home General Discussion

SCHIP Tax

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    as stupid as that sounds....

did you guys hear about the tax thats gunna be put on cattle...

.... mainly because they fart.

global warming, gotta love it.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,294
    kuzi16:
    as stupid as that sounds....

did you guys hear about the tax thats gunna be put on cattle...

.... mainly because they fart.

global warming, gotta love it.
    Man, if they put a tax on me for farting I'd be broke!
  • jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 282
    yup. about $10 more a box.

with all the other tax increases that are being rumored...

better hold on to your wallet!

• KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    kuzi16:

Maybe instead of having another Boston tea party, we should have a cigar party.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:

Kreig... You toss yours in the river first..
  • dutyjedutyje Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,263
    jlzimmerman:
    52.75% increase?! Up to $.4026 per stick?!?!

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/HTML/SCHIP.asp?ci=1
    That's one way to spin it... the other way is that cigars have been grossly under-taxed for a long time, and they're only now taking notice. I don't think this will be the last hike. I would expect to see cigar taxes increase 100% from here before this presidency ends.
    100% increase tax on cigars, probably on carbon, there is word that they may now not let you wright off the interest on your mortgage anymore.

when will they say we are giving enough in taxes?

never. its always more more more.

• jlzimmermanjlzimmerman Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 282
    dutyje:
    jlzimmerman:

That's one way to spin it... the other way is that cigars have been grossly under-taxed for a long time...
    Or the other way, which is that everything else has been over-taxed.....
  • gmill880gmill880 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,947
    jlzimmerman:
    dutyje:
    jlzimmerman:

That's one way to spin it... the other way is that cigars have been grossly under-taxed for a long time...
    Or the other way, which is that everything else has been over-taxed.....

I'm gettin' dizzy from all this spinning....reaches for Miller Lite
    better tax that more too.
    kuzi16:
    better tax that more too.

they actually did raise the price up on the mtn where i work because fuel prices increased the cost of lugging up here ....or so they say.....the only real reason they need is because they have it and i want it! It went up .10 cents on a 24 oz bottle ...hmppphhh
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    kaspera79:
    Krieg:
    kuzi16:

Kreig... You toss yours in the river first..
    you beat me too it.. lol
    Cool avatar squirrel
  • rusiriusrusirius Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 564
    My personal opionion is this...

I believe this whole thing is geared towards one thing... The fact that those ridiculous gas station "cigars" which usually come 20 in a pack and are barely larger than a cigarette "bypass" the current cigarette taxes because they are considered "cigars" instead of cigarettes...

Let's face it... Who the hell REALLY considers these things cigars?

Anyway, point being... I believe they should focus legislation on properly identifying what is or isn't a cigar... I personally think ANYTHING machine rolled should NOT be considered a cigar...

By doing this, you would get a tremendous boost in taxes while leaving alone the occasional "real" cigar smoker...
    i see what you are saying.
    i dont know if im on board with that though. to me that still says "well you smokers over there are a drag on society and your opinion is worth less because there are less of you so... we will tax you and you cant do anything about it because you dont carry enough of the vote"

they are still people. If they want to kill themselves slowly, by all means they should be able to.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    rusirius:
    Anyway, point being... I believe they should focus legislation on properly identifying what is or isn't a cigar... I personally think ANYTHING machine rolled should NOT be considered a cigar...

By doing this, you would get a tremendous boost in taxes while leaving alone the occasional "real" cigar smoker...
    The problem there is the burden of them having to rework their proposal, basically in that it would entail some real work and research...much easier to just lump all partakers of tobacco in one heap.
  • havanaalhavanaal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 150
    Agree, but.... Don't knock them gas station "cigars". I started with Wolf Bros when I was 17. Led directly to my current expensive habit. How's a teenager supposed to afford real cigars nowadays?
    havanaal:
    Agree, but.... Don't knock them gas station "cigars". I started with Wolf Bros when I was 17. Led directly to my current expensive habit. How's a teenager supposed to afford real cigars nowadays?
    two options:
    1) welfare
    2) job

i went for the latter when making life choices.
  • robert69165robert69165 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 219

It's the endless struggle between the "Haves" and "Have Nots". I also agree that this is just a

power play more than a humanitarian effort. We are slowly losing our liberities.

"Happiness is a long ash".

kuzi16:
    havanaal:
    two options:
    1) welfare
    2) job

I didn't know teens smoked cigars? seems a bit out of their posse so to speak. I've never seen or heard of them smoking cigars. now black and mild is about as close as it comes.. well things like that.
    robert69165:
    We are slowly losing our liberities.

"Happiness is a long ash".

yes we are
    and yes it is.
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    havanaal:
    two options:
    1) welfare
    2) job

I didn't know teens smoked cigars? seems a bit out of their posse so to speak. I've never seen or heard of them smoking cigars. now black and mild is about as close as it comes.. well things like that.
    I started smoking probably around 18 - 19. Started with Black and Mild or Garcia Vegas but quickly switched away from them.
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    havanaal:
    two options:
    1) welfare
    2) job

I started smoking probably around 18 - 19. Started with Black and Mild or Garcia Vegas but quickly switched away from them.
    your putting holes in my theory....
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    havanaal:
    two options:
    1) welfare
    2) job

your putting holes in my theory....
    Sorry man......
  • havanaalhavanaal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 150
    phobicsquirrel:
    kuzi16:
    havanaal:
    two options:
    1) welfare
    2) job

You're half right. My small group of friends and myself were the only cigar smokers around. People thought we were weird. Back in those days, I thought spending $1 on a cigar was outrageous, and couldn't possibly be worth it. Times have changed.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    Yea, I smoked cigars between the ages of 15-17 once in a while. I enjoyed the crappy a$$ smokes I could find back then in the small town, but a few years back I somehow stumbled upon some good smokes and now I've opened up a whole new world of pleasure and relaxation.
    well I was thinking since it's april 1st for some of you, not quite for me, if we post info on how badly some of our favorite cigars go up...
  • ScottUScottU Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 194
    So am I reading that there is a 40 cent limit per stick? I'm not for taxing things, but it doesn't seem too bad...
    ScottU:
    So am I reading that there is a 40 cent limit per stick? I'm not for taxing things, but it doesn't seem too bad...
    im sure its only the beginning. i dont know about the rest of you but, ill fight every step of the way. its a series of "not that bad" tax hikes that will soon add up to a good chunk.

they never want less taxes only more.