Home General Discussion

Is there a story line behind the first box you bought?

RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
My first box of cigars is probably not what I would recommand a noobie to get. Reason one is the price and if your just getting started it could consume your wallet. Secondly, it may have been good the first time around but, it could have been what you had with it. A drink , whatever food you ate before it. So when you try to tackle the cigar again and you go about it differently then the last. You may not get that same wow factor.
Well, my first Cigar was a CAO but my first box was a Arturo Fuente Anejo No.77 believe it or not. I still have eight of these in my humi. I've given out maybe three or four of these since being on these forums. This by far is my favorite. It may or may not be yours, but this one is mine. Quick story on why.

I went to my local Brick and Mortar in Maryland back in December. My intentions were to get a Camacho Triple Maduro. It punched me in the gut four days prior, but I was determend to try it again. It was mostly because of the flavor of it. I told a fellow BOTL there about my experience with it. He told me try having a heavy meaty meal before doing that again. So, I took his advice and had a steak dinner prior to returning to the B&M. When I walked in, I went straight to the walkin humidor and grabbed one. Purchased it and sat down at one of the tables. Another follow BOTL sat across from me who later became a friend of mines. He had this unique looking cigar in his hand. So, of course I asked about it. In a nut shell, he told me this is by far a very smooth spicy cigar. With tons of flavor. He also told me that the B&M only had a box and a half left. And that they had 5 or 6 of them at first. Well, that intrigue me enough to buy a stick. In which I did, the flavors and smoothness of this cigar had me hooked, (the Wow Factor). I know the steak I had before had a lot to do with all that flavor coming out not to mention the port I had with it. So of course, right after I smoked it. I didn't care how much it cost, I bought a box. That wow factor can make a man do crazy things in a short period of time. I didn't even have a humidor yet, lol. I got so parnoid that I bought two 15 count travel cases to use for storage until I got humidor. Man, I didn't expect this to be this long, lol. Anyway does anyone have an interesting story to their first box of cigars or just remember what their first box was?

Comments

• rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    Not such a long story for me. Had a Aroma De Cuba DP blend after reading Churchills bio. Decided to get a box of churchills. That turned out to be my first box. followed by D shortys the moment they hit the dock.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    My first box purchase was a box of Alec Bradley Prymes. I only started smoking cigars towards the end of my last deployment, about a month or two before heading back home. I began with tupperware, and saw no point in ordering a humidor to have shipped out only to turn around and ship it back home in a few weeks. I found a civilian contractor there that had a huge stash of cigars and wanted to sell some off to get rid of his inventory a bit, so I bought a bunch of sticks off him, knowing really nothing about them. Those lasted a while, and when it came time for the return flight, I had only a few I had been saving, two of which were Prymes. I had no reason for saving them, other than they looked fantastic. Anyways, the first cigar I had in America, which was at an airport in Alaska, was the Pryme. It was an amazing cigar, I fell in love with it instantly. I smoked the other one I had a few weeks later, after letting it sit in my humidor I had set up at home for a little bit, and it was just as good. I went and ordered a box, and unfortunately had no idea they had quit production on them, or I would have gotten two or three boxes, lol.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,608
    My first was a box of 5-Vegas Classic and MoW Virtue. As a beginer I sampled the best of 2010 and made these box purchases from that. Still 2 of my favorites.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    My first cigar ever was a La Fontana Vintage. At the time, it was a sweet tipped, sweet and light flavored cigar. I loved that cigar and still have some very fond memories that include it. I made my first box purchase 10 years or so later and decided that this would be the perfect cigar to buy a box of, after all I knew I liked them.

When the box came in it was followed shortly there after by a couple other orders from various suppliers. I smoked a few of the La Fontanas and enjoyed them. Then I smoked a few from the other orders and thought to myself, 'self, why in the hell have you only been smoking those!' I continued to broaden my horizons, while selling off quite a few of the La Fontanas.

When I was down to two I smoked another one and I think I threw up a little in my mouth. I guess my palate had changed drastically in a months time and I no longer had any desire to smoke something that sickeningly sweet.

I will say this, the La Fontana Vintage got me started and made me a decent amount of money to continue my habit. For that I am grateful, and I'll keep that empty box forever, but if anyone ever offered me one again... Well, I believe I'd be more inclined to slice my reproductive organ up and squeeze habanero juice on it as I believe that would be a more enjoyable experience!
  • quix24quix24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 66
    My first box was La Flor Domincana Airbender Maestro. It was love at first puff lol. Before that I had only bought samplers.
  • BlueRingsBlueRings Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    Opus X Double Corona 1993 still have a few left over.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    First Box purchase was the Fuente Curley Head Deluxe - Maduro probably in 2004. Fuentes were what got me into cigars, and I was looking for a budget option. I enjoyed them all, but can't remember a thing about them at this point.
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    Ive never purchased a box of cigars! 5ers samplers and even 10 packs is always a better deal. Of course there are those cigars which you cant get unless its a single or a box. Those are too rich for my blood. Though I do indulge myself in singles of those types from time to time.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    First box was Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur; only reason was because it was the first cigar I ever smoked, liked it a bit, and wanted more. Having so many cigars in front of me for the first time (20 was a lot when I started!!), I decided to buy my first 50-count humi.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Bauza by Fuentes. I was looking for some Fuentes at a Shop and they were all sold out. This was in 1995 when the boom was just starting. The guy there said try this and gave me one with my 100 dollar purchase of various other cigars.
    I went back about a week later, and the same guy asked " Did you like that Bauza. " I told him it was the reason I came back. I haven't been so into them lately but I still think about them from time to time.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Wow, you guys have some interesting stories and interesting smokes that got you on your way. This is looking good. Hope we continue to get more stories or at least that box that started it all. Didn't think this was going to turn out this big. But you guys come through again and bless another post. Let's keep it going, this is good stuff.
  • GoldyGoldy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,636
    Great thread RCY

My first box was purchased for my birthday from my grandma and it was a box of Carlos Torano 1959 Silver Editions. Great cigar, it was the first cigar that I had that I truly enjoyed, it was also one of my first non-gas station cigars. I still have a few from 2003
    Goldy:
    Great thread RCY

My first box was purchased for my birthday from my grandma and it was a box of Carlos Torano 1959 Silver Editions. Great cigar, it was the first cigar that I had that I truly enjoyed, it was also one of my first non-gas station cigars. I still have a few from 2003

Thanks Goldy, I just like sharing and learning new things. It's the military way. You all have a lot of knowledge on cigars and a lot stories to tell. Why not shared them. I've found new cigars to try from you all, how to store them, how to bring them back if they dry out. Those are all stories in it's own. Alienmisprint, DSWarmack and Kaspera all had boxes that I've never heard of. Just learn something new again. Oh yea, thanks ROSSDAVEY for getting them started....
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    alienmisprint:
    My first box purchase was a box of Alec Bradley Prymes. I only started smoking cigars towards the end of my last deployment, about a month or two before heading back home. I began with tupperware, and saw no point in ordering a humidor to have shipped out only to turn around and ship it back home in a few weeks. I found a civilian contractor there that had a huge stash of cigars and wanted to sell some off to get rid of his inventory a bit, so I bought a bunch of sticks off him, knowing really nothing about them. Those lasted a while, and when it came time for the return flight, I had only a few I had been saving, two of which were Prymes. I had no reason for saving them, other than they looked fantastic. Anyways, the first cigar I had in America, which was at an airport in Alaska, was the Pryme. It was an amazing cigar, I fell in love with it instantly. I smoked the other one I had a few weeks later, after letting it sit in my humidor I had set up at home for a little bit, and it was just as good. I went and ordered a box, and unfortunately had no idea they had quit production on them, or I would have gotten two or three boxes, lol.
    That's a hell of a first box Tony! I wish I had known about the Pryme earlier because I would have found a way to snag a few boxes to stash away. I'm an Alex Bradley fan in general, but that is hands down the best cigar they have ever made.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    Yeah, I agree. I had a chance at s box of Churchills a little over a month ago, but I let them pass and now they are gone. Booo me.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    Hmm. The first cigar I ever had was the Sancho Panza. After a while my wife bought me a sampler and a 50 count humidor. Tried most of those, then discovered I liked Connecticuts, so after having found ccom I bought a whole bunch of singles. One of the ones I liked was the RP Connecticut robusto. Bought a few more to make sure I really liked it, then I bought a box. That was my first.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,539
    My first box was a Padilla Habano Toro, the price was so good I just had to have it.
    I then found a good price on Gurkha Cuban Legacy so I bought a box of those that same day.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    Nope not really. It was just cheaper to buy a box than buying singles all the time. Though I did learn to try the sticks a few times before buying a box.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Nope not really. It was just cheaper to buy a box than buying singles all the time. Though I did learn to try the sticks a few times before buying a box.

So, what box was the first phobicsquirrel?????
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    The first thing I got that came in a box was an assortment from 5 Vegas that had Classic, Gold, and A. The first pure box I got was La Cuna Salamons, one of AJ's early blends, maybe his first, I forget now. No great story behind either, unfortunately, I just got good deals on them and found room for them. I think for the La Cunas I also got my first cigar jar...
    I guess there's no more out there. Thanks for the stories and some interesting cigars to note.
  • beatnicbeatnic Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,133
    OK. I'll admit it. 1 box of Ccom Cuban Label. Sounded cool! LOL>
    beatnic:
    OK. I'll admit it. 1 box of Ccom Cuban Label. Sounded cool! LOL>

Beatnic, there'a always one. Lol....
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    my first box of cigars was a box of Camacho Havana Petite out of ccom's aging humidor. this was back in 2007. i had been active on the old cigar forum for a while. my favorites were emerging. one of them was Camacho and the Havana line in particular. i had made this known all over the boards.

none other than Alex Svenson PMed me and told me that they were going to be on sale the next day and since they were one of my favorites he would give me a heads up. i got a box for $50. they were 7 years old at the time. i have one left now.

thanks Alex.
    that was a great buy.

• nikostewartnikostewart Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 451
    kuzi16:
    my first box of cigars was a box of Camacho Havana Petite out of ccom's aging humidor. this was back in 2007. i had been active on the old cigar forum for a while. my favorites were emerging. one of them was Camacho and the Havana line in particular. i had made this known all over the boards.

none other than Alex Svenson PMed me and told me that they were going to be on sale the next day and since they were one of my favorites he would give me a heads up. i got a box for $50. they were 7 years old at the time. i have one left now.

thanks Alex.
    that was a great buy.

Love the Camacho Havana!
    nikostewart:
    kuzi16:

thanks Alex.
    that was a great buy.

Love the Camacho Havana!

Camacho, haven't had that one. But I like most of Camacho cigars. This is what I'm talking about. We got Alienmisprint, Xmacro, Kaspera, Puro Freak and now Kuzi blessing you with stories and cigars that you may or may not have had or heard about. These are guys that put in over 2000 posts. If they can share, I know the rest of us can. Thanks guys....
  • StogiesOnTheGreenStogiesOnTheGreen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 61
    I haven't bought a box yet since I'm a noob but I've been eyeing up the UHC as my first. I've only had one but it might be my favorite so far. I'm really regretting not jumping on the Ccom Sun Grown before they got rid of the 20% off.
  • bigjohn125bigjohn125 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 476
    I'm still waiting on my first box purchase. I know that I will be getting a box of 5 vegas Gold robusto's as soon as they go on sale or I have the extra money. I really like several other cigars, but that one is still my favorite.
  • LasabarLasabar Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,457
    Sancho Panza Double Maduro... Hadn't even tried them, but Kuzi said they were a good smoke and at a good price... Then a friend told me he bought one on a whim and liked them, so I just ordered a box! Still have 3 left from Aug 2008
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Lasabar:
    Sancho Panza Double Maduro... Hadn't even tried them, but Kuzi said they were a good smoke and at a good price... Then a friend told me he bought one on a whim and liked them, so I just ordered a box! Still have 3 left from Aug 2008
    that was my second box...