Home General Discussion

Are you a fan of 60?

2»

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    60 is just too big for me. Prefer a 50--58 rg
  • gaberoxgaberox Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 824
    48-52 for me. 54 at most. 60 no way jose.
  • long_asheslong_ashes Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 166
    I like bigger ring gauges myself. I get why some people think they are uncomfortable but if you have big lips then it's probably fine. My wife always said I have a big mouth. ;)

Personally I prefer 6x60 when I have time and the smaller nub like sized when I don't though robustos are still a fav of mine to smoke too midday. I don't like the smaller ring gauges as I find the draw is harder and I get less smoke. The smokier my room is the happier I am.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I know I've voice my opinion on this before, but I would rather smoke a corona or a lancero than anything over 54 ring. The flavors seems be more potent in smaller cigars. As many people have said, I enjoy the better wrapper to filler ratio of smaller sizes. You get more of the flavor of the wrapper which tends to be the best tobacco in the cigar. That being said, there is a Quesada cigar (dont remember which one it was) that had much better flavor in a larger ring. But that is the only one I can think of off hand.
  • JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    I've even enjoyed some of the larger Nubs like the 464 and didn't have any problems with them.
    PuroFreak:
    I know I've voice my opinion on this before, but I would rather smoke a corona or a lancero than anything over 54 ring. The flavors seems be more potent in smaller cigars. As many people have said, I enjoy the better wrapper to filler ratio of smaller sizes. You get more of the flavor of the wrapper which tends to be the best tobacco in the cigar. That being said, there is a Quesada cigar (dont remember which one it was) that had much better flavor in a larger ring. But that is the only one I can think of off hand.

Totally agree. Huge rg cigars to me tend to really mellow out and tone down flavor. I think its visio and seco tobacco that is virtually tasteless but helps a cigar to burn true. I can imagine they use much more of this the larger the guage. All speculation on my part though.

Its very evident if you compare an LFD DL chisel to the 700. Totally mellows it out.
  • ljlljl Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 819
    I just like the variety. I wouldn't want to see smaller ring gauges go away just to make it happen. I like to mix up the flavors you get with various rgs on sticks. Kind of like getting a completely different cigar. Like others have said some 60s are OK, some aren't, but I could say the same with 48, 50, 52 etc.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    gaberox:
    PuroFreak:
    Totally agree. Huge rg cigars to me tend to really mellow out and tone down flavor. I think its visio and seco tobacco that is virtually tasteless but helps a cigar to burn true. I can imagine they use much more of this the larger the guage. All speculation on my part though. Its very evident if you compare an LFD DL chisel to the 700. Totally mellows it out.
    I would have to agree, I smoked a RP Bros 60, and thought it was rather bland...I was wondering where all the flavor went (vs the robusto, which is great).
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    Krieg:
    gaberox:
    PuroFreak:
    Totally agree. Huge rg cigars to me tend to really mellow out and tone down flavor. I think its visio and seco tobacco that is virtually tasteless but helps a cigar to burn true. I can imagine they use much more of this the larger the guage. All speculation on my part though. Its very evident if you compare an LFD DL chisel to the 700. Totally mellows it out.
    I would have to agree, I smoked a RP Bros 60, and thought it was rather bland...I was wondering where all the flavor went (vs the robusto, which is great).
    its not so much the increased seco and viso, but the reduced wrapper. remember that most of the flavor comes from the wrapper. a small change in the amount of wrapper will effect the flavor more a small change in the amount of filler.

this is actually why i like the smaller rings. there is more flavor to them. the larger ring gauge washes out the flavors. (or mellows to use the words already posted here)

kuzi16:
    Krieg:
    gaberox:
    PuroFreak:
    its not so much the increased seco and viso, but the reduced wrapper. remember that most of the flavor comes from the wrapper. a small change in the amount of wrapper will effect the flavor more a small change in the amount of filler.

this is actually why i like the smaller rings. there is more flavor to them. the larger ring gauge washes out the flavors. (or mellows to use the words already posted here)

hmmm...never thought of that, makes sense though.
    I still think more filler viso/seco, less ligero, less wrapper=less power/flavor. Imagine trying to get a 60rg full of ligero to burn true.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    gaberox:
    I still think more filler viso/seco, less ligero, less wrapper=less power/flavor. Imagine trying to get a 60rg full of ligero to burn true.
    Uhhhh thats not true, case and point CAIN Maduro.

All power no flavor.

gaberox:
    MoW armada is almost all ligero save for the binder if i am not mistaken and that burns fairly well.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    stephen_hannibal:
    gaberox:

All power no flavor.

For me, the question of "to 60 or not to 60" is the same as any other - depends on the cigar. Do I go out of my way to buy 60's? No. Will I turn my nose up at a Cain NUB just BECAUSE its a 60? No again.

Stephen, if you havent given the Cain a go as a NUB, I suggest you try it sometime. Ive found the NUB sizes really do the Cain's a lot of good, and I would hate for you to miss out! :-)

kuzi16:
    gaberox:
    MoW armada is almost all ligero save for the binder if i am not mistaken and that burns fairly well.

Hey Ive been wrong before, whats the rg on the armada? just curious.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:
    gaberox:

All power no flavor.

For me, the question of "to 60 or not to 60" is the same as any other - depends on the cigar. Do I go out of my way to buy 60's? No. Will I turn my nose up at a Cain NUB just BECAUSE its a 60? No again.

Stephen, if you havent given the Cain a go as a NUB, I suggest you try it sometime. Ive found the NUB sizes really do the Cain's a lot of good, and I would hate for you to miss out! :-)

I have a few resting.

stephen_hannibal:
    gaberox:

All power no flavor.

I find the wrapper flavor on the robusto to be pretty good. Lots of sweetness, havent had one in over a year though. Caines never did much for me, havent had an f yet though.
    gaberox:
    kuzi16:
    gaberox:
    56 on the armada.

...unless we are talking the corona of it...
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    stephen_hannibal:
    The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:
    gaberox:

All power no flavor.

I have a few resting.

I should have figured. :-D Make sure to drop a line and let me know what you think when you fire one up. BTW, speaking of large ring gauges, did you ever smoke that DE Egg I sent you a while back? Sent it before I read anything on it because I know you're a big ring fan generally, but now that Ive read a few reviews Im a little scared....

• clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    gaberox:
    kuzi16:
    gaberox:
    I've definately never had any burn issues with Ruination Robusto #2 (not all ligero, but mostly) or LFD Double Ligero 700
    The Sniper:
    stephen_hannibal:
    gaberox:

All power no flavor.

I haven't been able to get into the Nubs, they just seem to taste really bitter to me. I don't know if it's just me or what. But even though the Cain Nub is 60, I still wouldn't mind giving it a try. I am a fan of the regular Cain lines.