Home General Discussion

Are you a fan of 60?

KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
Ring guage that is...It seems that the current fad in cigars is the 60 ring guage (6x60 to be more specific). How many people out there are fans of this guage?? For me, it just isn't too comfortable for me to smoke and I have a harder time picking out flavors in the cigar....but that's just me.

Comments

• t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    Nope, not a fan. give me a 46 - 50 any day. And preferably 4.6 - 6 length. Not really sure what the draw is to the giant sizes. I've never had a cigar that made me say "wow" that was over 54.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Krieg:
    It seems that the current fad in cigars is the 60 ring guage (6x60 to be more specific). How many people out there are fans of this guage?? For me, it just isn't too comfortable for me to smoke and I have a harder time picking out flavors in the cigar....but that's just me.

I like the Camacho Triple Maduro. But I don't cut it. I use a punch and not a large one either. I've smoked three of them so far that way. And they've been pretty good to me.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    I also have to use a punch to smoke a 60....or cut a couple of times w/ my Xikar. Little annoying to say the least.
    I've tried others. But, I didn't like them. Camacho Triple Maduro is the only one that I like. Their are lot of good reviews and some bad ones on it.
  • KriegKrieg Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,068
    t_evan50:
    Nope, not a fan. give me a 46 - 50 any day. And preferably 4.6 - 6 length. Not really sure what the draw is to the giant sizes. I've never had a cigar that made me say "wow" that was over 54.
    I've tried all the Nubs and even a RP Bros (a stick i know i like)....didn't have any appeal for me...not worth the extra cost imo.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    im not too much of a fan of the 60 ring either...

i like to have about 45 and i usually stop liking rings at 50 unless it is a torpedo. even then i like the smaller ring because it shows the better tobacco to shine.

there are a few cigars that i feel do well in the larger ring but not too many. i am a fan of the 5 vegas series a in the 58 ring and as mentioned above, the camacho tipple maduro does well in this format. beyond that gimme a smaller ring.
    Honestly, I think I'm getting away from them. Haven't had one in a while and I don't have any in my humidor. But, if I was to smoke one. It would be the camacho with a punch cut. Since being on here, I've learned that I typically like a robusto size cigar. And I enjoy coronas the most.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,836
    I love them. I get a great draw out of them personally. I love the larger ring gauges. 56-60 are my fav. I find that for me the draw is better and just all around I love it. I like the smaller sizes too it's just this tends to be my favorite
  • TheedgeTheedge Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 316
    A bit clumsy for yard work, but for a long drive I'll take a graycliff platinum in a size 60. Just had one on Monday night after a board meeting.....who puts 42 people on a board by the way? Good grief.
  • MperconteMperconte Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 367
    Not a fan of the 60 ring, just don't have the time to smoke all of that. If I was on the golf course then I could do something with it. I do however, love the Diesel Shorty.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,961
    It all depends on the cigar for me personally. Just like I enjoy some sticks better in a corona, or toro, or lonsdale, I prefer some in a big ringe gauge. The Cain Habano is fantastic in the 6 x 60 frame, and the CAO America Landmark is my favorite size for that stick. The Gurkha Beast is another large-ringe gauge I really dig too.
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    I love larger ring gauges - larger rings just feel better (no homo) and the flavors are smoother. Anything larger than 52 is my cup o' tea.
  • Ken LightKen Light Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,524
    xmacro:
    larger rings just feel better (no homo)
    Beat me to it. I smoke around mostly people who don't smoke cigars though, so if I smoke a big one, I get sh!t. Then I get even more sh!t for taking too long. So I don't know if I like the smaller ones or I've just been conditioned to avoid bigger ones.
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    I don't mind them. It all depends on what I'm doing. If I'm in the mood and have the time, I won't shy away from a larger ring. But I don't get 60's and smoke them just for the sake of smoking a 60.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    ENFIDL:
    I love them. I get a great draw out of them personally. I love the larger ring gauges. 56-60 are my fav. I find that for me the draw is better and just all around I love it. I like the smaller sizes too it's just this tends to be my favorite
    Bout the same here.

• JCizzleJCizzle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,910
    I think my ignorance saves me here; I like the 60s. Then again, I like just about any cigar.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    I'm not a fan 60 ring gauge. If a cigar I like is only available (very rare) in that size then I will smoke it, but I never go out of my way to buy anything else in a 60 ring gauge. I don't like the way it feels, or sits in my hand.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    In certain cigars, I do like them a lot. The Olive V Double Toro comes to mind. Great stick in that vitola. I also do love me some Nubs every now and then too.
  • drpepperdudedrpepperdude Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 298
    Total fan of larger ring sizes. 54-56 is the sweet spot in my opinion and I will try vitola's in these sizes before trying anything else.

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,101
    alienmisprint:
    It all depends on the cigar for me personally. Just like I enjoy some sticks better in a corona, or toro, or lonsdale, I prefer some in a big ringe gauge.
    this just about sums up my thoughts as well. I don't shy away from them, and there are a few positives abuot a 60 ring cigar for me, but all in all, its not my favorite size.

The pros for a big ring for me is that they have a more forgiving burn. I tend to smoke faster than most on here do, so a bigger ring is more forgiving when I do that. The smoke naturally stays a bit cooler even when I'm rushing through it, and its easrier to keep an even burn line, even though they take twice as long to light. The more recent ones that I've enjoyed we're the San Lotano Gordo and the Diesle Unlimited D.6, even though this is far from my favorite size in the unlimited, its still a good smoke.

That being said my two favorite sizes are the larger Coronas (5.5-6.5" x mid 40s), like the LGC Glorias Extra size and a low to mid 50s ring torpedo, like the Diesel UHC and Diesel Unlimited D.x.

So yeah, 6X60 is not my favorite size but there are a few that I enjoy in that format.
  • KCWKCW Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,253
    I thought I was. But as I gain more experiance with cigars I'm finding I prefer 47-52. That said, some of the 60's I've had I have liked (i.e. Nub). But like Krieg mentioned. They're not all that comfortable (for me).
  • RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 106
    I usually like a bigger ring gauge on a cigar. My favorite is 6x54 and 5x56. But a 60 Ring, I will try if its offered in a line I really like. Problem is a lot of my favorite lines do not feature a 6x60.
    So its hit and miss in terms of availability and preference. There are a few cigar lines I like where I have not yet smoked the 60. But if brands like Diesel or Vegas 5 AAA released a 60, I would certainly try it. Some new findings offer 60s which I'm considering trying like the Macanudo Cru Royale, the Macanudo Gold (which I know is probably not new).

-Regards and Long Ashes!
  • RaschNutsRaschNuts Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 882
    I personally dont have a preferrence yet. I havent had enough variety of cigars in different ring gages to figure it out yet how much the size makes a difference. I personally dont mind the 60's i have had the first stick that really got me into cigars was the Rocky 92 60. We will see with time if that changes for me.
  • RoyalCigarsRoyalCigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 106
    I usually like a bigger ring gauge on a cigar. My favorite is 6x54 and 5x56. But a 60 Ring, I will try if its offered in a line I really like. Problem is a lot of my favorite lines do not feature a 6x60.
    So its hit and miss in terms of availability and preference. There are a few cigar lines I like where I have not yet smoked the 60. But if brands like Diesel or Vegas 5 AAA released a 60, I would certainly try it. Some new findings offer 60s which I'm considering trying like the Macanudo Cru Royale, the Macanudo Gold (which I know is probably not new).

-Regards and Long Ashes!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,377
    With me, it depends if I have the time to smoke a 60. A 5 or 6 X 60 is about as long as I like. Any longer than that, I feel like I'm being violated!
  • Amos UmwhatAmos Umwhat Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,523
    I've had some 60's that I liked, but usually found myself wishing I had the same cigar in a 50.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    RoyalCigars:
    if brands like Diesel or Vegas 5 AAA released a 60, I would certainly try it.

-Regards and Long Ashes!
    Diesel Shorty Ltd. Edition 4.5 x 60
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    Camacho Triple Maduro, LFD DL700 and LFD Airbenders, very nice in 60's. I thought the Ruination would be excellent in a 60 but I find it loses some of it's strength...
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,750
    I do typically like larger ring gauges. I haven't met a Nub I didn't like. I really like the Gran Habano Corojo #5 in the 6x60 (anyone going to the Rocky Patel event in Waldorf this weekend ought to pick up a couple of these super oily gars). I love the LFD Double Ligero in the 6x60.

And I spend a lot of time out on the golf course so I have plenty of time to kick back and enjoy a larger, longer burning cigar.
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 739
    Being a bit of a giant, I feel the 60s are more comfortable to hold and smoke. But with that gauge, I prefer the Shorty lengths, unless I've got lots of time to chill.