Home General Discussion

COOLIDORASAURUS!

The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
Greetings all. Had a pretty cool weekend project this weekend that I thought I would share with you. As happens with all of us from time to time (some of us more frequently than others!), I ran out of storage room for my cigars. Saw this beast in the local WallyWorld, and thought I would REALLY embrace the time-honored BOTL advice for storage - whatever you think you need, GO BIGGER.

Hence, the Coolidorasaurus Project was born! They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so Im going to write a novel. Without further adieu then...

A couple pics to give you an idea of the size of this beeotch... the first features my TOTALLY UNAMUSED pug Paris (aka Fatty McTubbs), and the second is of my 11 yr old daughter Ashley (aka Lovely Assistant).... keep in mind she is nearly as tall as me, and Im 5'9".

First, Lovely Assistant & I drilled holes in the lid of the square tupperware container which will be used to hold the distilled water...

Then we used weather stripping on the lip of the cooler to ensure a good seal.

Lovely Assistant decided to decorate ME with the lining of the weather stripping, which was her favorite part...

Next up, we filled up three rectangular tupperware containers with 70% beads...

And sprayed em down with distilled water - Lovely Assistant's second favorite part.

Then it was time for the water & beads to go into the cooler, secured with velcro to the bottom with everything under a wire organizer (in case the tupperware with the distilled water should spill)...

And here is the finished product, stocked with most of the contents of the old coolidor.

And there you have it gentlemen - Coolidorasaurus was born! A great excuse to spend some quality time with Lovely Assistant, cleverly disguised as a worthwhile and much needed project. If I outgrow THIS coolidor, I may as well get a coffin-sized one next time, because the wife will surely bury me in it when I bring it home! LOL

Already have a great idea for next weekend's project, so stay tuned....

Comments

• 415415 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 951
    Very nice. but it looks a bit empty. what size is that cooler?
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,487
    Very cool brother ..... Alsways awesome when you have a lil helper .... Congrats
  • xIcedGuardianxxIcedGuardianx Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 873
    Pretty awesome.. I'm in love with coolidorasaurus!
  • wannabe.otakuwannabe.otaku Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 20
    That's a huge coolerdor. Now it's time to spend a small fortune and fill it! Spending time with your daughter is always a good reason to take on projects like this. Enjoy the time while you still have it.
  • RCY CigarsRCY Cigars Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,346
    Weekend project + COOLIDORASAURUS + man's best friend + daughter = Priceless
  • skweekzskweekz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,218
    Very nice project indeed! I fear I may have to undertake something similar after March Madness and Cigarfest are over.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    Why the loose containers of distilled water? Why not just add more beads? No worrying about spillage then. Also, the water may actually cause your RH to become TOO high, especially in a cooler, which tends to not allow any air circulation. Finally, consider getting a fan.

Looks like a great set up though. Cool that your kid was willing to help.
  • mfotismfotis Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 720
    Get that Pug a Cigar!!!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    Excellent report, a round of applause for your lovely assistant. On question, is the weather stripping necessary on a coolidor? They are pretty much airtight to begin with.
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    wow, thats awsome.

what size is it in quarts??
    ive been on the look out for a cooler, but over here they go for around $150 for a resonable sized one, how does that compare??

starting this wasa my weekend project lol its going to be a target system for my shooting.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Holy crap, man! Now THAT'S a COOLER!!! Let's see how long it takes to fill 'er up, I give you 6 months.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,914
    RCY Cigars:
    Weekend project + COOLIDORASAURUS + man's best friend + daughter = Priceless

FANTASTIC REPORT MY FRIEND! Lovely Assistant Loves her Daddy! Shes adorable Brother! Ive been thinking about the Same thing, I have been looking at Coolers on Overstock.com there are some Great deals on thier, my thing is there are so many Different takes on how to do a Coolidor Im confused, but I do think one that size with all that space could use a fan.. Ive watched You Tube Videos on how to make one and they get all technical etc. My wife wants me to either get rid of my Desktops Humis , keep one and get a Cabinet or I opt for this Idea Myself In a closet out of view and keep some goodies in my Nice desktop. HELL I dont know! Right now My stock is so low it realy doesnt matter! LOL Im sure that will change in time!
  • xmacroxmacro Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,402
    bigharpoon:
    Holy crap, man! Now THAT'S a COOLER!!! Let's see how long it takes to fill 'er up, I give you 6 months.
    Considering that it's March Madness at Ccom, I give it 2 weeks

Nice cooler!! Great project and your assistants did a great job
  • zeebrazeebra Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,166
    Thats awesome man!! Been trying to decide which route to go, wineador or coolidor!! I'm sure it was a great quality time with the pug and your daughter!
  • The SniperThe Sniper Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,910
    415:
    Very nice. but it looks a bit empty. what size is that cooler?
    Cant remember exactly WHAT size it was (will try to remember to grab that info the next time Im at WallyWorld), but I do remember giggling because it was listed in GALLONS instead of the QUARTS that most coolers list their size in.

docbp87:
    Why the loose containers of distilled water? Why not just add more beads? No worrying about spillage then. Also, the water may actually cause your RH to become TOO high, especially in a cooler, which tends to not allow any air circulation. Finally, consider getting a fan.

Well doc, time for a confession - I seem to be the ONLY person in the cigar universe who has had sh*t for luck when it comes to beads. They have just never done a particularly good job for me. I had heard a few places where people had suggested just putting some water in a container and letting the beads regulate the humidity off that, but didnt want to try it in a humidor for fear of the container spilling, warping the wood, and ruining the humi.

So far the setup has worked GREAT - rock solid humidity at 70% on the nose. I had considered a fan or two, but know nothing about where to acquire them or about their setup & use... is that something you could provide some guidance on doc?

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    Once again the Sniper has inspired me....

fla-gypsy:
    One question, is the weather stripping necessary on a coolidor? They are pretty much airtight to begin with.
    Necessary? Probably not. The website I got the directions from suggested it. I may not have used it, but the seal on the lid on this one was pretty weak so I went ahead & did it jsut to be on the safe side. As I said in an earlier reply, the humidity is dead-nuts on 70%, so its working out well so far...

• t_evan50t_evan50 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,725
    That an awesome setup Sniper. Good to see that you have good help. Now you have plenty of room if someone happens to bomb the crap out of you. ;)
  • smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    Very nice coolidor bro. I started one a few weeks back..i have a smaller cooler but its doing what I need it to and it is filling up rather quickly : )
    Sol, the $150 you mentioned is about what coolers like the one I used usually go for over here as well. When I saw this one on the shelf for just over $50, I couldnt NOT pick it up!

t_evan50:
    That an awesome setup Sniper. Good to see that you have good help. Now you have plenty of room if someone happens to bomb the crap out of you. ;)
    Todd - BEHAVE! DOWN BOY! DOWN! LOL :-D

• smoke em if you got emsmoke em if you got em Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,119
    The Sniper:
    docbp87:

Well doc, time for a confession - I seem to be the ONLY person in the cigar universe who has had sh*t for luck when it comes to beads. They have just never done a particularly good job for me. I had heard a few places where people had suggested just putting some water in a container and letting the beads regulate the humidity off that, but didnt want to try it in a humidor for fear of the container spilling, warping the wood, and ruining the humi.

So far the setup has worked GREAT - rock solid humidity at 70% on the nose. I had considered a fan or two, but know nothing about where to acquire them or about their setup & use... is that something you could provide some guidance on doc?

I bought one of those Oust fans off Amazon for pretty cheaper. It runs for 5mins then off for 15min...very quite fan too. Might want to check it out for yourself.
    stephen_hannibal:
    Once again the Sniper has inspired me....

Go forth & build LARGE my son! LOL You could probably use something like this considering the size of the monster cigars you prefer. :-)

smoke em if you got em:
    The Sniper:
    docbp87:

I bought one of those Oust fans off Amazon for pretty cheaper. It runs for 5mins then off for 15min...very quite fan too. Might want to check it out for yourself.
    Will check it out smoke em, thanks for the lead. Is it battery powered?

No problem, it takes 1 D battery.
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    That is awesome.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,426
    The Sniper:
    smoke em if you got em:
    The Sniper:
    docbp87:

I am looking at PC fans right now. They are cheap readily accesible and I can get them to work off of batteries, not sure if it will work, but I'll let you know how I get it to work, if I do. The fan is just to move air around inside the coolidor correct?
    DSWarmack:
    The Sniper:
    smoke em if you got em:
    The Sniper:
    docbp87:

I am looking at PC fans right now. They are cheap readily accesible and I can get them to work off of batteries, not sure if it will work, but I'll let you know how I get it to work, if I do. The fan is just to move air around inside the coolidor correct?
    I believe so, in order to help prevent mold.

Is it wrong that the thought of you doing fan-removal surgery on DoD computers in order to install them in a cigar coolidor makes me giggle? :-D

• Sandman1amSandman1am Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,567
    I had my coolidor set up for just over a year. I think that the water in the bottom might be a little over kill unless you are in a very dry climate and you have a poor seal on your cooler. I think that you probably have an excellent seal because of the weather striping.

I really like your idea of putting the containers on the bottom with shelves for your boxes to sit on. I never ran a fan & only had a few times was my RH above 70. What I did was rotate my stock & leave the cooler lid open for a bit. I only ran into one time where I thought it was mold but it was actually plume. Looking back I would run a fan so it would be easier to maintain. Your space on the bottom should allow for better air flow then most.

You said you were having problems with your beads. How was the seal on your last humi? How big was it and how many beads did you use? I have found that the 67% worked a little better for my needs. When I was having problems it was because I was not using enough beads or that my humi was less then half full of sticks.