Home General Discussion

AJ cigar you HAVEN'T liked?

newbiesmoker24newbiesmoker24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
I have delved into the AJ world and I don't think I am turning back. Is there an AJ cigar that you haven't liked? So far I have had MOW series, Diesels, Ave Maria, 5 vegas, and nothing has been BAD while most of them have been SPECTACULAR. Why do I like AJ's stuff so much?!!! Also, can't beat the price!

Comments

• Alex SvensonAlex Svenson BlogAdministrator, Everyone, ForumsAdministrator, Moderator, Owners, Registered Users Posts: 1,204
    I would not say there is I one I dislike, but there are certainly some I enjoy more than others. He has kind of a big portfolio between premium stuff and inexpensive stuff. (Although by most standards his premium stuff is still inexpensive LOL). That said, I love Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, Diesel UC, San Lotano, Diesel Unlimited, all of the man o war and all of the La Herencia. The Ave Maria is growing on me, especially the smaller ring stuff. It is different from his other blends, less power more balance. In the premium line Id say San Miguel brings up the rear for my favorites but still a very impressive cigar IMHO.

The cheap stuff such as Nica Libre, Cuban Legacy, Park Ave, Achilles, La Cuna, Sherpa Orange, Sherpa Cafe, Graycliff G2, Reposado, etc is good but if you factor in price, Id say it is great.

• robbyrasrobbyras Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,487
    I'm in the same boat as Alex... The only AJ Sticks I have had that didn't blow me away were the Sol Cubano's and La Herencia (Haven't had the Oscuro yet)

Love the diesel line (prefer Unlimited d.X) San Lotano, Ave Maria, all MOW (yes, even the virtue)...

of the less expensive stuff... I liked the Nica, Cuban Legacy, Park ave and Achillies... not great, but solid... I haven't had any of the sherpa's or the G2...

I'm sure this is out there somewhere, because I remember seeing it in a thread somewhere... But is there a definitive list of what AJ has produced?

Can you help me out on this Alex?
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    Reposado is just okay. Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet is too leathery for my palate. you can't win them all but really, the guy does a great job.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    off the top of my head a few of the cigars by him that i was disappointed with include:
    Padilla Habano
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    Rocky Patel Signature
    Rocky Patel Double Maduro

there are a few others out there that i havent tried that he makes. i dont have very high hopes for them but i wont mention them because i wont know until i try them.

for the most part the blends are average at worst and some of the best in the market at best.
  • denniskingdennisking Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,681
    kuzi16:
    off the top of my head a few of the cigars by him that i was disappointed with include:
    Padilla Habano
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    Rocky Patel Signature

there are a few others out there that i havent tried that he makes. i dont have very high hopes for them but i wont mention them because i wont know until i try them.

for the most part the blends are average at worst and some of the best in the market at best.
    What's funny about these threads is the difference in palates and likes and dislikes. I love the Padilla Habano original blend and I like the RP Sig much more than the Connecticut. funny how tastebuds are.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,317
    The SCCC is one cigar I can not get into...

All the others I've had I'd smoke on a regular basis.

• VulchorVulchor Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,176
    I talked to Alex about this several weeks ago...and sadly for me....What AJs have I not liked??

All the ones Kuzi mentioned, Ave Maria, Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet, Nica Libre, Cuban Legacy, Achilles, La Cuna, Sherpa, Graycliff G2, Reposado, AJ Signature------just my tastes I guess, its a shame but just one of those things I guess.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,787
    The G2 didn't "do it for me"..... but it was okay. Other than that, I really enjoy all of AJ's stuff.
  • ellinasellinas Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 329
    i haven't had very many...but of the handful that i have had nica libre was one of them....
  • newbiesmoker24newbiesmoker24 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 94
    I have just been really enjoying his stuff... and as someone put it, there are some that are better then others, but there doesn't seem to be too many (if any) that were truly bad cigars (a.k.a. tasted like goat ass or have terrible quality). Even the ones that aren't for my palate are still quality cigars for the money. From your posts I am getting ideas of what to try from AJ next!!! I still have to get through the stuff I bought but haven't smoked yet. Thanks Fernandez for setting a new standard for cigars!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,349
    The MOW and diesels are really the one's I've liked. I'm not too fond of the others. Some 5 vegas yes but most of them I just don't enjoy that much. There isn't one manufacturer out there I can say I like everything.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    kuzi16:
    Padilla Habano
    Rocky Patel Fusion
    Rocky Patel Signature

I'm the same as Dennis here. You have listed several of my smokes of choice in this list. The Padilla Habano is an extremely tasty if not powerful stick. The Rocky's are all OK, better with some age on them. I have liked everything from Aj. I have LOVED several of AJ's offerings (MOW lines, SCCC, Ave Marie, etc.) I have still not had a chance to try the Sol Lotano yet, but I'm betting they will be another tasty treat from him.
  • thehoffthehoff Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 76
    I don't care at all for the AAA, Diesel, MOW, MOW Virtue, CCOM sungrown, Padilla Habano, Park AVE, Sherpa... Oddly enough I love the Fusion and Fusion MM which don't seem to be that popular. The Nica Libre is a great value too. To each his own. I just can't get into most of his cigars.
  • sightunseensightunseen Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,130
    The Ave Maria wasn't really my cup of tea. I really enjoyed the San Lotano (natural and maduro) and Diesel. Of course, you can't forget the MOW Original, Ruination, and Virtue.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    I don't like the Nica Libre. The sungrown was OK. won't buy it again tho.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,909
    Diamondog:
    Achilles
    I'll second that. Ironically, it's his 'achilles heel' in his portfolio. In general, though, I love all the higher end stuff he makes and between AJ and DPG they comprise about 75% of my humi.
  • laker1963laker1963 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 5,046
    Seriously? I thought the Achilles was a first rate bargain stick.
    laker1963:
    Seriously? I thought the Achilles was a first rate bargain stick.
    First one I had was great, so I bought 10....came with a new band and I just did not dig them...
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    The original Achilles that was made in one vitola, blended by E. Padilla and produced by Pepin Garcia is a first rate stick. The reblend...well, I like the taste but the performance I've gotten has been wildly inconsistent. It's essentially a bargain cigar though now, so taking that into consideration I'd say it's still a good buy.

Do I recall correctly that AJ makes the Sol Cubano Artisan? If so, I didn't like that cigar at all.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I don't like the RP Fusion blends he did and I know I wil be kicked in the teeth for this one, but I wasn't crazy about the first MOW Ruination I had. I'll give it another shot in a few months, but I hope it improves a lot.

I do however enjoy the original MOW, Diesel and the Sol Cubano Cuban Cab! I haven't tried the Diesel Unlimited or the MOW Virtue yet but both are resting in the Humi! The Park Ave was a decent smoke.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,384
    The only "bad" stick ive had is Nica Libre. Then again it was touted as similar to Padron and i dont like 90% of the padrons i smoke. Not too crazy about LHCOF but the original was really good. Was disappointed by the sun grown label as well but the brazillian i would buy by the case. Everything else is great! Especially the Unlimited, i would eat those things if i could.....
  • Russ55Russ55 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,762
    He makes some cigars I don't like, but so do all of my favorite blenders. The majority of his sticks are fantastic though. San Lotano, MoW, SCCC, LHC, Unlimited, etc.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,561
    I'm with Joe, SC Artisan - while pretty, tastes pretty horrible. And I'll stop right there and not tell you what I REALLY think of it. All the rest I've tried I've either thought were ok, good, or just flat out fantastic.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 7,144
    Now, this may just be me, but the only AJ F. cigar I didn't like was the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. It was just not my favorite that day. I will smoke another soon to see if perhaps my tastes have changed.
  • DynaguyDynaguy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 49
    I have smoked Pepin blends exclusively for a few years now, then on a whim I tried the Diesel UC. That was it for me. Diesels in any form are now my go to cigar. While i still love my Pepins, the Man O War and Ruination, Ave Maria and San Miguel are all great. The only one I have not enjoyed is the RP Fusion. AJ is truly a master. I look forward to the next Diesel line extension.
    kaspera79:
    Now, this may just be me, but the only AJ F. cigar I didn't like was the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet. It was just not my favorite that day. I will smoke another soon to see if perhaps my tastes have changed.
    Not one of my faves either...
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    cabinetmaker:
    I'm with Joe, SC Artisan - while pretty, tastes pretty horrible. And I'll stop right there and not tell you what I REALLY think of it. All the rest I've tried I've either thought were ok, good, or just flat out fantastic.
    Haha I think we are all familiar with your opinion of the SCArtisan.

For me, there aren't many AJ smokes I outright DISLIKE. It's more that there are a bunch that just don't do anything for me. Would I smoke them if you gave them to me? Heck yeah! Would I buy them by the box? Nah. That said, Diesel, MOW, MOW Ruination, and the MOW SE are all awesome smokes, and at the price they sell for, amazing deals as well.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 9,403
    kaspera79:
    I've had several that were at best unimpressive and at worst downright infuriating. The only SCCC I've had consistent good experiences with has been the #4...and once they have about 18-20 months on them they are even better.
  • docbp87docbp87 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    I've had several that were at best unimpressive and at worst downright infuriating. The only SCCC I've had consistent good experiences with has been the #4...and once they have about 18-20 months on them they are even better.
    Really have been meaning to buy a handful of these and put them away for a long @ss time, to see if I can believe you here. I've said it before, and I've seen you say it before.