Home Non Cigar Related

The Gift

2»

Comments

• docedwardsdocedwards Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 319
    get those entries in.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,132
    I'm thankful for my wife and son and my amazing parents! Not only are they just great people who are more than helpful, but they have taught me so much about life... I'm a very lucky man.
  • jhopephullejhopephulle Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 29
    even tho this is probally late i still wish to say this. in the last few years i have had 3 strokes which have taken thier toll on me. being 51 and partially disabled by this i still have much to be thamkfull for. the one most thing i am thankfull for is my mother. without her i do not know how i would survive. she takes care of the things i am unable to do. she should have me taking care of her not the other way around. she is a remarkable person who i cherish very much. and each day i thank the lord for this day and the love of my mother.
    jhopephulle:
    even tho this is probally late i still wish to say this. in the last few years i have had 3 strokes which have taken thier toll on me. being 51 and partially disabled by this i still have much to be thamkfull for. the one most thing i am thankfull for is my mother. without her i do not know how i would survive. she takes care of the things i am unable to do. she should have me taking care of her not the other way around. she is a remarkable person who i cherish very much. and each day i thank the lord for this day and the love of my mother.
    I sent you a pm
  • bearbbearb Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,044
    Great idea to help us think about all of the positive things in our lives. Anyone who has read this thread, has been allowed to reflect upon their own lives, and those who influence it. To anyone who is just reading, please respond, as this is the powerful point, putting your thoughts & ideas onto paper. Perhaps this thread can continue? Allowing people to take a moment from their busy lives. P.S. I am thankful for my station in life as well. I have a great family, which I don't always appreciate, wonderful children (9 & 6 who always seem to want my attention :); parents who are aging (70's and slowing down quickly), but still support us in so many ways; my wife, who generally loves me for who and what I am, and supports my ideas, as crazy as they sometimes are. I will go on in my head, rather than continue to fill more space here....Thanks for the opportunity!
  • ThewelderThewelder Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 679
    I'm thankful for my girlfriend/future fiance. We have been together for almost two years now. She doesn't mind the cigar smoking, crazy friends, and my current job. She has such a positive outlook on me being currently deployed, we look to the future and don't let the day to day problems get to us. She is my biggest supporter while over here. She agrees that we should wait for me to get back before we get engaged so we can enjoy it together. She is my best friend in the world and I couldn't see myself being without her. I'm thankful that even though we are half a world away we seem to be falling in love with each other more and more everyday, let it be from the e-mails or quick letters from snail mail.
    I know the competition is done I still felt like posting
    I started this thread as a place to reflect and as a contest. The winners were selected by random drawing and james40 and roland_7707 have each received a $50 ccom gift certificate. I am not wealthy but I'm very blessed and fortunate. It has been suggested that this thread continues. Great idea. Receiving is great but I find giving to be much more rewarding. Giving does not have to be monetary. I encourage everyone to live in the moment, enjoy life, family, and friends. I hope everyone will encourage and support their children and/or young people in their lives. This old geezer, (me), didn't fare too well in this regard when my sons were young. But, damn it, I've been doing my best to make amends with them and the grandchildren. Hope you all have a great day and a Merry Christmas.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    Awesome, awesome thread doc. Thanks for starting it.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    Heavy:
    Awesome, awesome thread doc. Thanks for starting it.
    Totally agree doc.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    best contest i ever lost.
  • LukoLuko Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,004
    I received a cool gift last night.

For those of you who don't know, *** LeBeau is the defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers. He has been a player or coach in the NFL for more than 50 years and is now in his 70s (looks like he's in his 50s).

He is famous for something else here in Pittsburgh. Every Christmas season, he recites "Twas the Night Before Christmas" for his players, and his players only. It's a sacred tradition and rumor is the players are always captivated and that some have been moved to tears.

Last night, Coach LeBeau recited this poem for a group of donors to the children's hospital where I work. It's the first time he's done it for anyone other than family or the Steelers. At a cocktail party, he spoke for about 20 min and then recited (from memory) the poem. A crowd of about 100 people watched intently the whole time and I don't think anyone blinked. He could have talked for an hour.

He explained that he memorized this poem to recite to his mother, grandmother and aunts as a thank you for all they had done for him as a child to make Christmas a special time. He said it was "a gift from my heart to theirs." It's hard to explain, but it was truly awesome when he recited it.

He also said that the only reason he was inducted into the Hall of Fame this year is because of the amazing players he coaches. The only thing he takes credit for with his players is that he has tried to teach them not to play the "blame game." He said it's destructive and tears people/teams/companies, etc. apart. How true that is. He said the Steelers Defense has been successful over the years because when things go bad, they don't blame each other. He challenged everyone there not to focus on blame, whether it be their wife, co-worker, whatever, but to just work to find solutions to problems together. It was a simple message, superbly delivered.

Linebackers James Harrison and James Farrior were at this event. It is clear they love and would do anything for this man.

It sounds cheesy, but being there was one of those experiences that really makes you think about how you treat other people. Coach LeBeau is one of those unique people you meet in life and there really is so much more to him than jus tbeing a football coach. I'm thankful I got to be a part of his gift and hopefully his message will remind me to treat people with a little more decency.

Luko, great story! Thanks for sharing. Very well-written. So much so that I almost feel I was there. Wish I had been. I am so pleased with the path this thread has taken. I'm sure your words will help it continue. And no, It's not cheesy. Expressing feelings of love, respect, and caring never are. When more people realize this we will have even a greater country and a better world. Thanks again for taking the time to share. I hope everyone responds to this post and takes time to share.