Home Non Cigar Related

The Gift

docedwardsdocedwards Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 319
My family and I are very blessed. A man's importance is not based on monetary wealth, (although I have no aversion to it), but if you put a label on me it would probably be middle-class. I have a great wife, 2 sons, 4 grandchildren, and 2 more due next year. At 53, I know I'm a minority BOTL on the forum but I'm in good health. My happiness is grounded in family and good friends. I am very thankful for all I have. Now that you've trudged through my thoughts, I'll get to The Gift. To be eligible the only requirements are: 1. Reply with a post of what you are thankful for. 2. Send a gift or words of encouragement to someone less fortunate or to someone important in your life. (You don't have to spend money and of course you are on the honor system.) 3. You must make your post by midnite CST on Friday, Dec. 3. I will do a random drawing and 2 lucky people will receive The Gift. I'll contact the 2 winners via this thread and/or pm. Winners will have to then provide me with their email and/or address to receive The Gift. If I were a lawyer I would now post a lengthy disclaimer. Hope all of you have a great Christmas and good luck. Never sweat the small stuff.

Comments

• docedwardsdocedwards Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 319
  • wwhwangwwhwang Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,863
    I'm thankful for my family and friends. Even though they sometimes drive me up a wall, they're always there for me.
  • rossdavey2rossdavey2 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 979
    I am thankful for my family and my job. Both drive me crazy at times, but I don't know where I would be without them.
  • brotheradambrotheradam Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 896
    I'm thankful for a great family, a job I love to do, a roof over my head, the friends I've met here on the forums and especially my wife that let's me smoke cigars on the patio :)
  • undulacundulac Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,129
    I am thankful for my wife and two girls. In fact, my oldest turns 5 on Friday and I will be loading her up with t-ball equipment and be signing her up for the spring. Finally I can coach!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 14,471
    i am thankful that i have neighbors that are not only sane, but have good hearts. they are active in the community, they know everyone on the street (and they wave to everyone) and come over just to catch up with nothing expected of us or other neighbors. even when on hard times, they put on a happy face and were generous with gifts around the holidays (hell yeah homemade cookies!) with not a thought about return gifts. on top of all of that, they are managing to raise 3 wonderful and respectful children that are not only well behaved, but clearly have intelligent and active minds.

i couldnt ask for better neighbors.

they better not move.
  • Christian_SappChristian_Sapp Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 441
    I am thankful for my great family who has always supported me in any and all of my decisions and goals in my life, my good health, my great friends, and my amazing girlfriend who does not care i smoke cigars.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 4,169
    My children, I am 36 and it took me 32 years to really understand why I am here (4 & 2)...
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,023
    At 53 I find I am more thankful than ever for my parents (both still living). I realize more and more each day how their input in the formative years prepared me for real life. They never fought, always insisted that siblings were respectful and civil, and honesty and integrity ruled all things at home. They could have done nothing more to prepare me and I find it very easy to "yes sir" to my father to this day because he earned that respect.
  • sol1821sol1821 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 706
    I'm thankfull for my health.
    As for the gift, there is a shooting range for uk disabled shooters who shoot for the great Britain team, there facilities are not up to scratch even though they are right next to a brand new sports complex for disabled athletes, (it’s the bias in the uk against guns) I will be making the 10hour round trip to go and help out with the improvement of the complex next month along with other shooters from around the country. I had originally not intended to go for various reasons, mainly university commitments, but I plan on taking the weekend off to go down and help out after reading this thread.
  • HeavyHeavy Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 1,590
    I am thankful for my two wonderful children and the incredible wife who gave them to me. I'm thankful for my incredibly generous parents and in-laws (yes, I said in-laws haha), my sister and brother-in-law who are the best siblings a guy could ask for. I'm thankful for my incredible group of friends whom I consider my blood. And I'm thankful that each of us have our health; I know that won't always be the case. And last but certainly not least I'm thankful to God for giving me this life and the opportunity to enjoy everything mentioned above, and everything unmentioned. Even in the bad times, a day above ground is better than the alternative.

Oh yeah, I'm thankful that the Gamecocks are in the SEC Championship for the first time ever -- whhoooooo!! ;-)
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
    What I've been thankful for the last fifteen years of my life is my wife. She has put up with so much crap from me, I don't even know why she stayed. I mean that literally as she's had several valid reasons to dump my ass. She didn't marry me for money, I was working two full time minimum wage jobs at the time we started dating. She saw my potential and believed in me when I didn't even believe in myself. She motivated me to do something with my life and make a difference. Because of her, I have steadily worked my up to a good job, I'm much healthier now(used to smoke cigs, drink horribly too much(my fathers side were all alcoholics and have passed), eat like crap, etc.. - the usual story, right?), and even have rebuilt family relationships which is invaluable.

Now, I look forward toward our future and am excited at the prospect of growing old with my woman. I also enjoy the holidays and being around family and am a great uncle (3 times). She helped me to become a good man.

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,555
    I am very thankful for my two healthy and happy children. For those that dont know they were VERY sick when they were born and took approx 3 months before we could take them home! for that I am EXTREMELY thankful!.....I will also send words of encouragement to a couple folks! Thanks for inspiring me!
  • One2gofstOne2gofst Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 583
    I am thankful to have been given all the opportunities in life that I have simply due to the fact that I was born an American. I am thankful for my freedom. I am thankful my family is in good health. I am thankful for my grandmother, who will be celebrating her 92nd birthday next week. I am thankful for a roof over my head. I am thankful and excited to be going back to school. I am thankful for this gift ;) Thanks.
    I hope everyone is enjoying the replies. At times it is easy to dwell on the negative and our differences. It demonstrates that when we pause for serious reflection we have many things in common and our world is not all doom and gloom. As for The Gift, I hope you are receiving even before you are giving. I know I am. I will continue to "bump" it along and hope you'll let all our brothers to be aware of the thread. Of course your odds of winning decrease as the number of entries increase. (Or do they?) Hope you all enjoy the thread in the spirit it is presented.
  • james40james40 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 3,450
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 2,647
    Im thankful for the community that I live in, tomorrow we are doing something called Mission Mena where the less fortunate are able to come to our church and recieve boxes of food and winter coats. they also get things like socks and underwear, toothbrushes, and the like. this will be my wife and my first year to participate with this and we are both pretty excited about this, and the people look forward to this each year. and on another note, its funny how growing up my dad was the lamest person that i knew and only after getting older, the things that he said or did now hit home and he is pretty smart now to. looking back i now feel like a jerk, but its all good now.
  • sirfoster83sirfoster83 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 783
    I am thankful for my wife and two boys(8 yrs & 20 month old). I am thankful that we can still afford to have the simple pleasures even though I'm no longer employed and back in school. And though it may sound cold hearted I'm glad we laid my Dad to rest this year after watching him suffer for 5(this time of year seems harder than when he passed for some reason.) And I'm very thankful for the brothers here who support eachother and share a passion for cigars and are just all around decent caring people.
  • aron325aron325 Everyone, Registered Users Posts: 158
    am thankful for my new job my family and my fiancee. my family and lindy (my fiancee) have helped me with so much that there is no way i can ever repay them. i just finished up with school and couple weeks ago and they have pushed me to do the best i can. because of them i have held a 3.88 GPA and im part of the national technical honors society and ill be graduating with highest honors. they have done so much for me i can only hope that i can give them at least half as much as what i have received. im so thankful for them. anyways happy holidays and hope everyone stays safe and smokes long and joyous.
    bump. entries must be in by midnite cst.